People are amazing

MouseNoFour

I have a little story to add. This 1 is about ninjas though.

So I'm lvling my guardian and while on Balmorra and I'm doing a mission where u have to disable these nodes which have a group of mobs surrounding them. So I jump in and start the fight. While doing that another guardian rocks up and clicks the node and leaves again. I decided not to say anything but while looking around for another node I see him fighting for 1 so I felt a lesson needed to be taught and zoom in a ninja the node. He tries to get it but I'm way ahead of him. I leave him to it but not b4 sending him a little message saying 'don't be a ninja'. Never heard anything from him at all.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you though, this is memorable just because it so rarely happens. I've done hundreds of PUGs, even on the fly PUGs, grab the 3 nearest people and go. I've yet to get to the point where I would even consider NEVER PUGing again. If there are those out there who swear off PUGing, it's probably for the best since they are most likely overbearing elitists anyway. I play to have fun.

Not all are elitist, some are just reluctant to group yet again with people who do not know what they are doing AND refuse to be helped. It's a big waste of time and very frustrating. But, I play to have fun also, and now fun means treating this game as a solo player game- with some guild action thrown in.

Overall, it has to be the luck of the draw. The post you quoted to reply to had me shaking my head in disbelief. I wish that poster had included what server that was because I want to roll a character on it just to see if it was true.

Really you class those as CC's? a what, 2 seconds stun compare to a 60 seconds stun the other classes have? I wouldnt call that a CC just a break before the next attack

CC means Crowd Control. Not all forms of crowd control have to be about stunning a mob for 60 seconds. Any ability that helps with controlling the situation and hence incoming damage is a form of crowd control ability. A Vanguard/Powertech pulling a mob that's shooting at the healer to within the tank's AOE attacks. A Guardian/Juggernaut pushing a mob off to fall to his death. These are abilities that control the situation and reduce incoming damage.

There is more to CC than just stuns.

CC means Crowd Control. Not all forms of crowd control have to be about stunning a mob for 60 seconds. Any ability that helps with controlling the situation and hence incoming damage is a form of crowd control ability. A Vanguard/Powertech pulling a mob that's shooting at the healer to within the tank's AOE attacks. A Guardian/Juggernaut pushing a mob off to fall to his death. These are abilities that control the situation and reduce incoming damage.

There is more to CC than just stuns.

Really spliting hairs and reaching

What you describe are class abilities we all hope people know how to use successfully.

I been playing MMORPGs for 20+ years now and CC has ALWAYS been a term used exclusively on longer duration mez/stun/root type spells, not short duration.

Whens the last time you heard someone say

"Hey you go CC that Mob while I CC this mob"

and then you both go and knock Back said mobs

if you say more then zero time, I think your telling untrue stories

CC means long duration movement imparing abilities

Probably always will mean such.

What you describe are class abilities we all hope people know how to use successfully.

I been playing MMORPGs for 20+ years now and CC has ALWAYS been a term used exclusively on longer duration mez/stun/root type spells, not short duration.

This. I've grouped/raided enough to say the same. CC is always long-term incapacitators, rather then a 2 second/4 second immobilizer. Those short terms are more for when you're overwhelmed and need a hand quick. Knock back, short stun, finish off one while the other recovers. CC in instances means - keep the most dangerous one immobilized for a minute or something, refresh as needed (key feature of CC at higher levels) - kill off the other 4 or 5, then come back to him - unless some idiot uses an AOE or decides he can solo it before then. Or - the ******* tab-target doesn't REALLY switch and whoever put the CC on hits it with something and breaks it - lol. Seen that happen too, and had it happen to me more than once here already. Annoying to say the least.

been here since beta, have 4 50s. still have no idea which classes get what kind of CC's. i really have no interest in memorizing class abilities of all the different specs. if someone asks a question, you politely answer it. you don't call them a noob and act an ahole. just because YOU know everything, does not mean everyone else does.

is it really that hard to be nice to people?

Edited by Holinyx

Meanwhile whilst leveling my Marauder from 45-46 on the planet Voss.

LFG [Random H4 Heroic]

Merc: do you have any cc?

Me: are you new?

Merc: are you an äss?

You have left the Heroic area

You have left the group

And you posted this because you think the merc looked bad in that scenario? :rolleyes:

Asking someone who's still levelling up about their CC is also a way of finding out if they know about their CCs.

Hell, the whole story is just pathetic, why did you take the piss then leave. Then post it.

25 hp shadow tank.

Tionnesse geared healer.

I am one of the dps.

The boss on Ilum that vanishes and needs to simply be taunted to come back onto the tank.

Boss switches argo onto the healer who frantically is keeping himself alive. No taunt. Vanish again onto healer. No taunt. Now I am healing the healer since by this time he is out of energy....still no taunt. I run out of ammo Healer dies, other dps dies, I die, tank dies. The tank says, "You're a really *expletive* healer" and leaves the group.

Some players just have no clue.

True, I would be annoyed if I tagged a mob and asked a character I know that has a 60 sec stun to CC it and he does something else with it. But crowd control as a concept goes beyond this one specific type.

Regardless, this question of definition is at best tangential to the more pertinent ones of:

1. Is it reasonable to expect other players to know all 8 classes' stun abilities, including knowing that two of them have no stuns?

2. Is it acceptable to belittle players who have no such knowledge?

And in the context of the OP, it was even more egregious because it didn't take place in a Nightmare or Hardmode Operation run, where one could expect the leader to know something about the classes' abilities. No, it was a normal Heroic 4 instance. So, as someone above said, the villain of the story isn't who the OP thought it was.

Not really, don't know what games you've played but in ye olde days of Everquest, CC to a shdowknight also meant non-damage aggro abilities ("hate" spells). In its simplest terms, Crowd control is anything that controls the behavior of one or more NPCs. People may commonly use it to refer to a 60 sec duration stun nowadays, but given how many people misuse acronyms like PST I don't put much credence into modern usage.

what i so far saw in this game is that number of ppl thinking that pretending like a smartazz is a virtue is very high. a couple of months ago this happened;

in a warzone with my fresh marauder (full recruit gear and bm chest)

Smartazz - LOL marauder , did u hear bout recruit gear?

me - u talking to me?

Smartazz - yes, go and buy recruit gear

me - are u bling or stupid enuf talking without inspect?

Smartazz - LOL moron go buy recruit gear u have to be more than 14k hp with recruit gear

Nice Stuff. made a friend a month ago. we ran everything we could with 2 comps and I was having a blast. A week ago I tell him..."BRB my kid needs something" I come back he/she is like, "how old are you bro?" I tell them and he/she is like "that's cool, I respect really old people at your age playing kids games like this" 5 mins later this person un-freinds me and then go's to general making fun of me for be 25 years old and being a perv for playing the game with a teenager.

I'm still dumfounded by that one but meh it happens.

Nice Stuff. made a friend a month ago. we ran everything we could with 2 comps and I was having a blast. A week ago I tell him..."BRB my kid needs something" I come back he/she is like, "how old are you bro?" I tell them and he/she is like "that's cool, I respect really old people at your age playing kids games like this" 5 mins later this person un-freinds me and then go's to general making fun of me for be 25 years old and being a perv for playing the game with a teenager.

ROFLMAO!

now thats funny

And a VERY GOOD REASON teen agers and below (incoming "but im mature for my age" responses in 3-2-1....) shouldnt be allowed to play MMORPGs! heh

Lol I play with 40 year olds, Vets and parents. I am always respectful and do not insult people for doing what they enjoy

Well, actually, Guild Wars 2 doesn't have any long duration CC. When a character "CC's" a mob, they are really interrupting the mob, or stringing together multiple short-duration CC to provide a longer overall effect, and/or applying debuffs to the mob to help mitigate damage done to the group.

In ToR, CC generally means what you say it does. That's not necessarily the way it is in other games, though. I could name others. "Long duration" CC in TERA is only 10-15 seconds, and only a select few classes have access to those abilities. Most CC is stunning mobs for only a few seconds at most, knocking them down, or interrupting their abilities with taunts and interrupts. WAR also features no long duration CC. And if I remember right, Age of Conan did not have the standard "Sap" type abilities which can mez for 60 seconds, either. Then there are non-MMOs, like HoN and LoL, which use the term "CC" for shorter duration effects.

The list goes on for many other, lesser known, titles, but you get the idea. There are many games you could come from and not know that "CC" means "60 second mez." In fact, there are only 4 MMOs where I've actually used such tactics; Everquest, WoW, Rift, and ToR.

CC has always meant any form of movement or action impairing effect, including the standard stun, mez, knockdown, but also snare, silence/disarm, charm, and fear. The term has also evolved to include certain types of taunts, teleports, levitations, pulls, and even debuffs (depending on their nature) in games which offer such things. It's hardly "always" been used "exclusively" to mean long duration stuns. In fact, in a game like WoW you'd specifically refer to that type of stun as either "Sheep" or "Sap," because those were the two specific abilities in the game that had that effect. I was never asked to CC anything as a Rogue, but I was repeatedly asked to Sap.

-Macheath.

I'm DPSing Colicoid War Games on my Guardian. The only person in the group with CC is the healer sage. We get past the first part (where you just have to shoot the hordes of bugs) and get to the first pack of droids. I mark the champ droid for CC and then as the sage is casting lift, the tank charges in and I jump to the unmarked gold. Right as I leap in, the unmarked gets lifted.... I immediately break the CC of course and we wipe due to too many mobs.

I ask the healer why he CCed an unmarked mob and he claims that the one marked was unCCable. Which is clearly not the case. So, we try again and this time, the healer doesn't CC at all and we end up barely defeating the pack. One of our DPS leaves at this point because they died (for like the third time).

As we're waiting for a replacement, we move on to the next group, which only consists of 2 golds and a champ. I mark the champ and ask the healer to CC. The tank then charges in to one of the golds and I leap. The healer (as the tank's charging in) yells "WAIITTT!!", and of course never CCs the champ. We wipe and the healer leaves. I then whisper to the healer "No offense, but you should really learn to properly CC.". The person then responds that they're in a top raiding guild and know perfectly well how to CC." They then tell me to **** off and /ignores me.

I feel sorry for that top raiding guild, lol.

Edited by Galbatorrix

Bwahaha that is too good. i'm curious what the rest of the Gen pop had to say about it.

Not all are elitist, some are just reluctant to group yet again with people who do not know what they are doing AND refuse to be helped. It's a big waste of time and very frustrating. But, I play to have fun also, and now fun means treating this game as a solo player game- with some guild action thrown in.

Overall, it has to be the luck of the draw. The post you quoted to reply to had me shaking my head in disbelief. I wish that poster had included what server that was because I want to roll a character on it just to see if it was true.

Well I'll tell you mine. Jedi Covenant. It is about 1% of the time I get a difficult or unteachable PUG.