What is the best class to play in pvp?

Ninjaguardiann

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C;mon now. We are trying to give this guy serious advice as he seems to be quite serious himself. Your trolling is not helpful.

Ok so from what he wants there is actually only one answer that fits....... Rage Mara / Focus sent. Great defenses (btw CDs in game and decent damage mitigation) and massive, reliable, AOE burst damage. On top of that it is scarily easy to play. That is what gave this spec a bad name. So OP from your description that is what you want. But be warned it is pretty boring after after a while... then respec Carnage/Combat and play something proper:P

Excluding ranked arenas it doesn't really matter that much, with some amount of skill most classes can make quite an impact in regs (well depending on the group composition, but that is always the case). Sorcs aren't as bad as some people make them, but they surely have issues in same situations. Heck even concealment isn't as bad as i usually make it :p

IMO, after 2.6, sorc will be the worst class to both heal and dps with. This class has been nerfed so much that beyond the ridiculous there is nothing left to weaken. The problem with this class is that it doesn't fit into the current meta with its type of game play, yet it is more than fine in PvE, which means devs don't have to worry too much about it (unlike shadows and op dps who parse lower in PvE). It is not a horrible class if you can master it, but anything below that will be a burden to your team.

Sorcs all trees:

pro: they can static barrier on the entire team

con: keeping static barrier is pretty costly on more than 2 characers and it is annoying to keep up with the debuff while dpsing.

con: static barrier disappears fast and doesn't make up for the lack of a DCD and garbage armor that sorcs have.

pro: force barrier is unbreakable and if used properly can be a lifesaver in a case where no DCDs would save you (for example last night I popped it against 6 enemies and then grenaded them when I was at 1 second, this gave me enough time to live while the others came to stop the cap).

con: you can't do anything while in the force barrier but sit there and watch.

con: regaining force costs a lot of health (you can lower the cost in consumption tree), regains very little and gives you a debuff.

consumption tree:

pro: good healing, very strong and good burst.

con: most of their healing is cast or channel based and can easily be interrupted, especially in an arena setting.

pro: best AoE heal in the game.

con: To get the full benefit of the Aoe (if you can actually get it out without being interrupted) you need a bunch of your teammates to stand bunched up together, which happens a lot in PvE, but not so much in PvP. You are usually better off putting it around yourself in case you have to force barrier through a barrage.

con: cleanse is now officially garbage as you can't even cleanse madness dots anymore.

What you can play instead: Op healer or merc healer. Both are better. But op healer is the most viable in group ranked.

lightning tree:

pro: you get an autocrit ability

con: it is a casted ability that can easily be interrupted or LoSed.

pro: you get an AoE root on you overload.

con: it's still a cone and not a 360.

pro: not many force issues.

con: you are still RNG reliant

con: even your burst doesn't even hurt that much especially when you consider it is casted.

con: unless people ignore you the entire match, you will not be of much use in PvP.

What to play instead: sniper. More damage, leap immunity, interrupt immunity, better DCD, entrench, a finisher, an amazing long distance mezz and a nice 360 knockback that roots.

madness tree (only viable tree):

pro: very decent damage.

con: its dot damage so it takes a while to setup (death field > affliction > creeping terror > force lightning > (if proc) crushing darkness). So you pretty much have to be very good at kiting or hope people ignore you.

pro: a lot of instants, so you don't have to channel or cast much which lets you kite.

con: RNG reliant. You can only instacast crushing darkness and lightning strike with a proc, which you ironically can only get by casting force lightning. So you are not only forced to cast, you are still pretty much hoping for RNG to help you.

pro: your DoTs are now uncleansable.

con: no finisher and no decent burst meaning your enemies always have a chance to get away and get healed up unless you can get them with death field, creeping terror, affliction AND crushing darkness as they run away.

pro: no more CD on your force lightning.

con: it's force lightning.

con (for sorcs mostly): force lightning is a nice big "hey look over here, I'm attacking you, you can force leap anytime you want".

con: force issues. This tree suffers from more running out of force issues than the others. And if you include off healing ... even worse.

what to play instead: Well ... this one tree is unique and fills a certain niche so nothing can replace it. But there are many classes/specs that are better and more suited than this one, however if you love your sorc, then this is probably the tree to go with these days (at least until BW nerfs us again).

summary:

If you play with this class, stay in the back and hope that they don't see you. Once they do, you will go down fast. In arenas be prepared to be focused as the first target and have the rest of your team hate you. If you are ever in a 1 v 1 situation against a melee, DoT them, root them with creeping terror, force slow them and always keep distance. If you screw up even a little you will probably die, if you do everything perfectly, you might win depending on your and their rng.

IMO, after 2.6, sorc will be the worst class to both heal and dps with. This class has been nerfed so much that beyond the ridiculous there is nothing left to weaken. The problem with this class is that it doesn't fit into the current meta with its type of game play, yet it is more than fine in PvE, which means devs don't have to worry too much about it (unlike shadows and op dps who parse lower in PvE). It is not a horrible class if you can master it, but anything below that will be a burden to your team.

Sorcs all trees:

pro: they can static barrier on the entire team

con: keeping static barrier is pretty costly on more than 2 characers and it is annoying to keep up with the debuff while dpsing.

con: static barrier disappears fast and doesn't make up for the lack of a DCD and garbage armor that sorcs have.

pro: force barrier is unbreakable and if used properly can be a lifesaver in a case where no DCDs would save you (for example last night I popped it against 6 enemies and then grenaded them when I was at 1 second, this gave me enough time to live while the others came to stop the cap).

con: you can't do anything while in the force barrier but sit there and watch.

con: regaining force costs a lot of health (you can lower the cost in consumption tree), regains very little and gives you a debuff.

consumption tree:

pro: good healing, very strong and good burst.

con: most of their healing is cast or channel based and can easily be interrupted, especially in an arena setting.

pro: best AoE heal in the game.

con: To get the full benefit of the Aoe (if you can actually get it out without being interrupted) you need a bunch of your teammates to stand bunched up together, which happens a lot in PvE, but not so much in PvP. You are usually better off putting it around yourself in case you have to force barrier through a barrage.

con: cleanse is now officially garbage as you can't even cleanse madness dots anymore.

What you can play instead: Op healer or merc healer. Both are better. But op healer is the most viable in group ranked.

lightning tree:

pro: you get an autocrit ability

con: it is a casted ability that can easily be interrupted or LoSed.

pro: you get an AoE root on you overload.

con: it's still a cone and not a 360.

pro: not many force issues.

con: you are still RNG reliant

con: even your burst doesn't even hurt that much especially when you consider it is casted.

con: unless people ignore you the entire match, you will not be of much use in PvP.

What to play instead: sniper. More damage, leap immunity, interrupt immunity, better DCD, entrench, a finisher, an amazing long distance mezz and a nice 360 knockback that roots.

madness tree (only viable tree):

pro: very decent damage.

con: its dot damage so it takes a while to setup (death field > affliction > creeping terror > force lightning > (if proc) crushing darkness). So you pretty much have to be very good at kiting or hope people ignore you.

pro: a lot of instants, so you don't have to channel or cast much which lets you kite.

con: RNG reliant. You can only instacast crushing darkness and lightning strike with a proc, which you ironically can only get by casting force lightning. So you are not only forced to cast, you are still pretty much hoping for RNG to help you.

pro: your DoTs are now uncleansable.

con: no finisher and no decent burst meaning your enemies always have a chance to get away and get healed up unless you can get them with death field, creeping terror, affliction AND crushing darkness as they run away.

pro: no more CD on your force lightning.

con: it's force lightning.

con (for sorcs mostly): force lightning is a nice big "hey look over here, I'm attacking you, you can force leap anytime you want".

con: force issues. This tree suffers from more running out of force issues than the others. And if you include off healing ... even worse.

what to play instead: Well ... this one tree is unique and fills a certain niche so nothing can replace it. But there are many classes/specs that are better and more suited than this one, however if you love your sorc, then this is probably the tree to go with these days (at least until BW nerfs us again).

summary:

If you play with this class, stay in the back and hope that they don't see you. Once they do, you will go down fast. In arenas be prepared to be focused as the first target and have the rest of your team hate you. If you are ever in a 1 v 1 situation against a melee, DoT them, root them with creeping terror, force slow them and always keep distance. If you screw up even a little you will probably die, if you do everything perfectly, you might win depending on your and their rng.

So i was also thinking about gunslinger, because i had a sniper on another account and pvping at a low level was just boss and i was thinking with a gunslinger having 2 weapons instead of 1 will the damage increase? So i wanted to know because of 2.6 want will be the wise thing to do.

So i was also thinking about gunslinger, because i had a sniper on another account and pvping at a low level was just boss and i was thinking with a gunslinger having 2 weapons instead of 1 will the damage increase? So i wanted to know because of 2.6 want will be the wise thing to do.

... on second thought, ignore what I said and go sorc.

The sage/sorcerer class is easy to learn but hard to master. The skill cap required to play the class may be higher than what many players are comfortable with.

If someone can tie their own shoes they can "master" playing a sage/sorc, or any other class in this game for that matter. Bioware started the myth of the "skill level required is higher than most players are comfortable with" nonsense as a euphemistic way of saying we are too lazy or too inept or won't spend the resources to fix them.

Edited by MotorCityMan

So at this point what would be the smart thing to do in terms of picking a character to row with?

Arsenal Merc, Engineering Sniper, or Lightning Sorc. These guys have massive burst, massive AoE, talents that keep enemies away and stunned. These three dominate ranked arenas, solo queue, regs, open world, dueling, and EVERYTHING. Dont hurt your team, roll one of those three. Also, Hybrid Juggernauts are very good as well. They're almost unkillable, and pull INSANE damage. Madness Assassins are a bit squishier, but can easily double the damage of any class, even the best hybrid Juggernauts.

Edited by Luckeyduckey

Arsenal Merc, Engineering Sniper, or Lightning Sorc. These guys have massive burst, massive AoE, talents that keep enemies away and stunned. These three dominate ranked arenas, solo queue, regs, open world, dueling, and EVERYTHING. Dont hurt your team, roll one of those three. Also, Hybrid Juggernauts are very good as well. They're almost unkillable, and pull INSANE damage. Madness Assassins are a bit squishier, but can easily double the damage of any class, even the best hybrid Juggernauts.

What's wrong with eng?

thank you so much i think gunslingers are better then snipers because of the duel pistols, after that ill go assassin, then jugg i do find a lot of the time jugg and assassin pulling a lot of damage and never seem to die. If theres any other advice im all ears i love learning as much as possible

Edited by Ninjaguardiann

whats MM?
I'm still not sure if you're serious, some of your questions stike me as a bit over the lololololol-top. But I'll play along, MM is marksman.

And I don't get what that other guy was on about when he compared engineering to arsenal and lightning. He was obviously sarcastic but I don't get how he can put eng in the same catergory as those other too. A correctly played eng will play more like balance/madness than a turret spec and with correct positioning you'll be able to roll people to death in 2 GCD'es.

Marksman is on the other hand a garbage spec against decent players, that statement is based on how easy they're to kill in PvP and not me playing it.

Edited by MidichIorian