Something I Like About GSF That's Better Than WZs/Arenas: An Elite Warlord's Opinion.

BoushhDC

Waaaaaaay fewer CCs (on the order of 1 vs. 50). I love PvP. However, paying $15/ month to constantly "spectate" as my character is in full stun-lock got old and tiresome long ago. It's nice to have an alternative to break up the monotony and to experience speed and a frenetic pace vs. the infinite tar-like slog that is ground PvP. Thank you BW.

My opinion is that the ground game would benefit with a reduction of CCs.

Edited by BoushhDC

Dont know about you, but the difference between a fully modded ship and a freshly bought one is sickening.

Until I can slog through the upgrade process, this GSF can be pretty painful

The disparity between upgraded/non upgrades is rather large. When the preferred crop comes in and starts getting one-shot by fully modded gunships, that's gonna alienate a lot of people right out of the gate.

The disparity between upgraded/non upgrades is rather large. When the preferred crop comes in and starts getting one-shot by fully modded gunships, that's gonna alienate a lot of people right out of the gate.

maybe but at least you can actually move around and still cap and or try to gank gunships with a fresh scout... on warzones atm is either, STUN STUN STUN ROOT SLOW DEAD, or STUN DEAD, or ROOT SLOW STUN STUN DEAD. and or mez then stun then dead. seems legit this CC/pvp.

Edited by xxIncubixx

Dont know about you, but the difference between a fully modded ship and a freshly bought one is sickening.

Until I can slog through the upgrade process, this GSF can be pretty painful

It really is not. Started GSF on the Imp side recently (maining Rep), and the stock Blackbolt does just fine against enemies with tier3+ upgrades. After a few games, bought Distortion shield, and started doing even better.

Awareness and precision > upgrades.

Edited by Helig

If it were only that simple, but it isnt Awareness + Precsion vs Upgrades

its Awareness + Precsion + Upgrades vs Awareness and precision.

Upgrades tip the balance. Without balance it isnt competetive. If its not competetive it doesnt feel like pvp, as you arent just facingan opponent. Your facing an opponent who not only has an outright advantage, but has more experience to use that outright advantage to his benefit.

Im not arguing to have the game changed, its an MMO and gear progression is a staple of most MMOs, this is just one of the negative side affects. But judging from the game concept and gear progression time frame(which is considerably reduced if you have CC to spend), i dont expect GSF to last more than two months from release with half the playing population. I only expect maybe 5% to enjoy it from the preffered access playerbase, as they will be facing a fully upgraded armada of ships. If you alienate the new players right off the bat you kill the turnover rate. chances are this mini game will be dead before spring. I hope it bring BW tons of money. Id hate to see good work go to waste, as the game is indeed fun, when your not getting sniped out of the sky in one shot.

Upgrades tip the balance. Without balance it isnt competetive. If its not competetive it doesnt feel like pvp, as you arent just facingan opponent. Your facing an opponent who not only has an outright advantage, but has more experience to use that outright advantage to his benefit.

Upgrades do give an edge, but upgrades easily have a ceiling, and you can get the ones "necessary" for a definite playstyle in only a couple of evenings. The 10+K Req upgrades are what takes most time, but they stand on the foundation of basic functionality, which is easily obtainable.

The edge upgrades give you are no more than those that certain classes and specs may have over one another at equal gear levels in ground pvp.

Edited by Helig

Upgrades do give an edge, but upgrades easily have a ceiling, and you can get the ones "necessary" for a definite playstyle in only a couple of evenings. The 10+K Req upgrades are what takes most time, but they stand on the foundation of basic functionality, which is easily obtainable.

The edge upgrades give you are no more than those that certain classes and specs may have over one another at equal gear levels in ground pvp.

The difference in gear in GSF is more equivalant to a level 11 fighting a level 29 than from "bolster 55" to Oboran augmented gear.

Upgrades in GSF, give you new weapons, allows those weapons to do more damage, get lock ons quicker, reload quicker, bypass shields, boost/escape more often, recharge shields quicker, have more shields, and on and on. You keep putting new players up against these types, and there wont be much of a selectable crowd when the preffered access players get let into the loop.

The difference in gear in GSF is more equivalant to a level 11 fighting a level 29 than from "bolster 55" to Oboran augmented gear.

Upgrades in GSF, give you new weapons, allows those weapons to do more damage, get lock ons quicker, reload quicker, bypass shields, boost/escape more often, recharge shields quicker, have more shields, and on and on. You keep putting new players up against these types, and there wont be much of a selectable crowd when the preffered access players get let into the loop.

No. A level 29 will have more talents and skills than a level 11. Upgrades don't give you more skills. They give you *different* skills, or they improve your old skills anywhere from 6 to 20% (damage, range, energy efficiency, shield recharge, - 10-13% lock on time, etc.).

As for the weapons - there are no "better" or "worse" weapons (ok, aside for Thermite torpedoes - those are awful). BW seemed to make sure of that. Some weapons have better DPS at close range, others have better accuracy, etc.

For example, baseline Scout rapid-fire laser - one of the most powerful close-range weapons, laughable power draw, fairly smooth damage and accuracy transition with range. Burst-fire laser - arguably *the* most powerful close-range weapon, greater power draw, great accuracy and damage up close, awful closer to max range.

A stock Blackbolt scout can Boost longer than my almost-Mastered Flashfire, which was tuned for close-quarters combat. Granted, it won't survive a second in a head to head charge, but it sure as hell can outrun it and do whatever it can to contribute to the team, like blowing up satellite defenses (baseline rocket pods are perfect. With cheap 100% armour penetration upgrade - DIVINE) and capping abandoned objectives, or trolling Gunships, or peeling strikers off his teammates - whatever.

More upgrades give you more options. They do give an edge, but saying that it's so overwhelming it's not worth to even try to compete is just making excuses.

But I'll give you that - experience and skill do give players an edge. Much greater edge than any upgrades ever can. But closing this gap is entirely up to the player themselves, and doesn't depend on requisition grinds.

I'd space you Helig. Two hits; me hitting you, you hitting the asteroid. :rak_04:

Aside from my overt trolling of Helig, I agree with his assessment. GSF is a lot less dependent on gear.

Though there are CC's in GSF, they're just don't seem to be utilized as much yet. Scouts have a version of one where they can talent an engine cut out for 4 seconds. I believe Gunships have a dot attack with a built in slow, and strikers can talent a slow/cripple on one of their attacks as well. I just don't notice many using them yet, everyone seems to be shooting for top damage at the moment rather than utility.

Give it time for groups/guilds to start coordinating and then compare.

Edited by Ridickilis

ion cannon upgraded on gunship is a bit OP with the CC that it provides....if nothing else because it is awesome for assists....I actually don't get tons of kills when I play the gunship but always in the double digit assists....easy pickins the ships that are doing roll battle dogfights.

Sab probe typically = lolz your toast

haven't seen anyone using the strike fighter one nor have I used it myself to comment.

Edited by smellmop

Im not arguing to have the game changed, its an MMO and gear progression is a staple of most MMOs, this is just one of the negative side affects. But judging from the game concept and gear progression time frame(which is considerably reduced if you have CC to spend), i dont expect GSF to last more than two months from release with half the playing population. I only expect maybe 5% to enjoy it from the preffered access playerbase, as they will be facing a fully upgraded armada of ships. If you alienate the new players right off the bat you kill the turnover rate. chances are this mini game will be dead before spring. I hope it bring BW tons of money. Id hate to see good work go to waste, as the game is indeed fun, when your not getting sniped out of the sky in one shot.

I translated this as, " i can't compete with people who adapted faster than I, I wish BW would simplify this for me and others like me because the best players and most dedicated players should have the least edges possible, since the fact that they are better, and more dedicated to becoming better is already too much for me to handle."

I love how you made a point to add " an elite warlord's opinion." as if that means something. I have that rank as well and it makes my opinion no better than anyone elses.

My only point there was to demonstrate time invested and experience as opposed to someone fresh off the boat that hasn't been around for all the ebbs and flows since launch (and before). I omitted that I had also been a part of and PvP'd in closed beta for the main game, but felt that revelation to be unnecessary. I figured indicating "Elite Warlord" would suffice to get the basic point across. And of course "opinion" means just that: my opinion rather than the absolutism and bombastic declamatory statements that largely are staples on these forums. And to reiterate, my opinion is that the ground game would benefit from a reduction in CCs rather than continuously heaping on more.

Edited by BoushhDC