Can we fix the constant lag and ability delay already?

DynamiCtagez

Hello there,

I just wanted to get something off my chest that has been bugging me for a long time now.

Most of us stopped complaining about it at some point in time. It's fking sad that most PvPers simply got used to it.

This game still has fking RIDICULOUS amounts of lag and ability delay ESPECIALLY in Warzones and Arenas.

Sometimes it takes 5 or 6 times mashing the button before an ability goes off. GCD bugs out and resets randomly. Some abilities (most common example seems to be Master Strike/Ravage) play the animation but don't do DMG or go on CD. In very rare occasions even abilities that go on CD fail to do DMG.

It's mostly the same problems that are described here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=227621

Biggest problem is, these bugs aren't even consistent. They just seems to happen randomly once the servers get heavily frequented (evening, weekends).

Fix your coding or get better servers. I don't know for sure what causes this problem but I know there was a time where there was almost nothing of all this: when my old server was almost dead and there were like 50 people on the fleet and 2 teams PvPing in the evening. I guess it should be obvious.

Edited by DynamiCtagez

Theres a reason this game is poorly populated. The fact that the same and huge amount of bugs still exist from beta while BW keeps showering us with cartel crap tells a rather simple story, that the reason this game failed is ONLY due to BW/EA incompetence

This needs to be fixed. The refusal to keep even a single APAC server alive has meant I am now playing at ~300 ms. I can't stun people on fire traps in Huttball, and melee classes are an absolute no-go. But now my abilities don't even go off at all when I hit them. Rolling into cover regularly fails. Abilities will use a GCD but not actually go off. Those with a cast-time may go off but not display the animation so I have no idea if it is working or not. Sometimes they display the animation but don't go off. Does the PvP team realise how frustrating it is for players to enter a duel and have absolutely no idea if they are going to win or lose because the result is entirely based on the lottery of a broken engine?

While we're at it, can we fix the bug which causes Operatives/Scoundrels to get stuck if they are knocked while rolling? How about the one in Huttball which causes players to drop through the ground or appear in the pit when they are on the railings?

First, thanks to Dynamic for bringing up this topic.

I have also been experiencing issues since Sunday (8 Dec) and they involve btw 10 - 20 seconds of lag spiking while in wz matches.

Edited by Keebus

Bump

Its not as bad as it was in that post, but this bug still exists in the form of giving false globals (animations trigger/global cooldown firing, but ability not going off) or abilities just not firing even after the hotkey text lights up. Things like rubberbanding and leap bugs, take cover rolling your character in place, etc. are probably just lag?

This bug is probably what kept most competitive gamers away from SWTOR. A lot of people play my account. Friends from other games. Different skill levels as far as APM, awareness, etc. Different ISPs, hardware, proximity to server. I'll have them play my account to try and get them to subscribe and join me here. The single biggest reason they give up after like a week is not the poorly designed gameplay or content. Its this bug.

When I'm playing really slow. The times when I haven't played SWTOR in like a month and have to remember all my binds and the timing or just having a bad session, I won't really see any GCD bugs. Things will work a lot better. But when I start playing good. When I'm really feeling it and pumping 7 or 8 actions into a single GCD, thats when this bug starts to pop up... a lot. :rolleyes:

Playing well in prime time hours and I'll see GCD bugs every 30 or so globals. It happens more on certain abilities. I'll just name them off on sniper. Cull will ghost cast and trigger the GCD but won't trigger. Corosive Dart will give the animation, give you a GCD and then not fire, resulting in **** like culling with one dot on, because there's a delay in corosive dart being applied to the target when it does fire properly. Corosive Grenade sometimes does this also, but not as much. The animation seems better?

Things off global can even be worse. If someone is approaching me in cover and I'm not casting but say I had just thrown a dot, entrench should fire when you hit the key once. Hit the key once and move on. That's how things off global need to work. Doesn't always work that way. Every so often you'll see this bug. I can go back and watch it, hotkey's text will highlight. Inputted it properly. Game registered it. Not casting. In cover. Ability doesn't trigger.

Using abilities off the focus frame. I had to really check to see if this was actually bugged or not. Had to turn on a hotkey overlay just to make sure I was hitting the keys properly. I don't know if anyone even uses the focus frame for abilities in this game. I do. My friends do. Sometimes the game won't register the modifier. Results in you using a CC ability which you told the game to use on your focus target, on your actual target. I can only imagine this is the same bug.

Its depressing. Tweaking ability action delay helps, but then you have an action delay. If you hit a key twice, because they don't reliably fire with action delay on a high setting, it will double over the action sometimes. Wastes globals regardless. Like people have said. The developers probably can't fix it. Result of using an inferior engine? I mean they can only do so much with this engine right? The community probably just accepts it at this point. I know I do. :confused:

Unfortunately, the faster you get, the more this bug will show up. At least that's what I've noticed. :mad:

Edited by madtycoon

Going to echo everything Madtycoon said here; I'm really not sure how to be truly competitive in this game when literally 1 in 12 GCDs misfires for me. I do enjoy the game's mechanics, and things like Huttball had the potential to really delineate TOR from its competition in PvP. But a combination of ghost GCDs and buggy leaps/rubberbanding (both of which I think stem from poor synchronisation between client and server) add -way- too much randomness to the outcome of a tight match. I've seen tight 1v1 matchups turn on which player got an ability misfire at a critical time... really wrecks the potential for sharp gameplay.

As for the queue action window feature in Preferences, I've tried all sorts of windows; 0.25s, 0.5s, even 1s... doesn't really help, ghost GCDs and animation-but-no-action (like on Ravage) will still occur. Which is really odd because if it's queuing up the abilities properly, it should be setting them off sequentially as each GCD ends. As far as my experience goes, queuing abilities does nothing to mitigate GCD ghosting.

Insofar as this topic has been brought up countless times to complete radio silence from Bioware, I really don't expect a fix anytime soon. The things I still wonder about:

a) How widespread is this? Does -everyone- suffer from ghost GCDs? Note, this will probably not occur unless you are really pushing the envelope, minimising the gap between a GCD's end and the next ability's usage. But if you are, and somehow immune to ghost GCDs, I'd be interested to know that some players do get to play the game flawlessly. I have to believe that if it's synch'ing properly for some players, there is the possibility that it could someday work for everyone.

b) How do hardcore PvE'ers deal with this? It always baffled me that anyone would put up with any sort of tight enrage mechanic when a significant proportion of their output (5-10%, say) was being lost to ghosting. Do you guys just muscle through the RNG of ghosting, or do the ghost GCDs occur less in PvE, or...?

The only way to stop ghost GCD's is to not spam abilities. Press them one at a time as they come up. I am unable to do this, I spam so I get the GCD's.

I'm pretty sure the entire server of POT5 is leaving the second Wildstar comes out. It's all they talk about now on the facebook group.

The game is 90% cartel market according to BW/EA, who cares about ghost GCD's when you're using a cartel market item.