Illum and the new reduced population cap. Searching for a little clarity.

Tibbothy

A quick question regarding the changes that were recently made to Illum:

When I read the patch notes about reducing the population cap on Illum I was actually quite pleased and as I am on the underpopulated side (Republic on my server) I thought that this may in fact give my faction a fighting chance at getting enough numbers together to actually make a decent fight out of it.

Here lies my problem. I always assumed that the "population cap" on Illum was faction specific (IE: If the cap was say 100 people, that means that there can only be a maximum of 50 Imperials and 50 Republic in any one instance of Illum). The reason I assumed this is because it never occurred to me for even a second that anyone in their right mind would set up a system whereby the overpopulated faction could fill an instance with say 80 people, and then the poor 20 republic sods that are there can't get help even if they wanted to as "the instance is full".

This is what seemed to be happening today. There was an Ops group that was not even full on the Republic side, and 2-3 times the number or Imps in the instance of "Illum 1" on my server. Some republic trying to join our instance were unable to as they kept getting the instance is full message.

Is there anyone who actually knows FOR A FACT how the population cap works on Illum or could point me to the documentation where it is explained?

If it is the case where the population cap is just an arbitrary number that does not take into account which faction a player is from in any way shape or form, then how do you ever expect the underpopulated side to compete as logic dictates that the side with the far superior numbers will just fill up any new instance of Illum far quicker than the underdogs can and will therefore always outnumber them.

The population cap should work so that if you think that say 70 people is a good number for Illum performance wise, then you let 35 of one side in and 35 of the other side in, when your side has that number you are put in a new instance. At least then the underpopulated side can eventually fill up instances to the point where they are on even footing.

Anyway, I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT HOW IT WORKS. I put that in capitals so people can see if before they start trolling and whining about something I may have got wrong in my post. All I am asking for is some constructive posts about how the population cap actually works at present and the issues it seems to cause. Please do not moan about valor exploits or whine about anything else Illum related as there are a million posts for you to do that in already.

Thanks in advance for any responses which are helpful.

Yep, the zone cap is total zone players, rather than a cap per faction.

If this is true then this is what I feared after seeing what went on today. It makes it virtually pointless for me to ever set foot in Illum at all.

If the population cap is set at say 80 people. There is a massive difference both in the way the zone plays, and the player perception between the way it is now (80 people regardless of faction) and the way it would be if there was a max number per faction (40 Imp, 40 Rep).

If I knew as a republic player that even though we are outnumbered, if we can get 30 or so people together then at least we can make a fight out of Illum, and that the most people we were going to face at once was 40. Then at least people would have some sort of incentive to organise an Ops group and actually have some meaningful PvP on Illum.

As it stands there is still no point to it as by the time you get there you are stuck in an instance with 20 Republic and 60 Imps, you are never going to get any reinforcements, and you just get repeatedly screwed.

I really hope this gets changed fast so that Illum can at least have some hope of succeeding

Theres also another thing. Up in the top left hand corner of your screen click on Illum and look at who is on it. Check out the amount of Lvl 10-32 Gold Farmers taking up the population on Illum.

They need to make illum lvl 50 only