Class/AC with greatest control

Kirti

Historically, I have really enjoyed classes that provide a lot of control to the group when running through flashpoints, taking on pvp, etc. I really enjoy the tactical approach to a fight that require you to interrupt, stun, cc, and in general be clever in your approach to the fight because you're dead otherwise. I've noticed most classes in this game get the basics of interrupt and some stuns.

In your opinion, which advanced classes offer the most tactical (needing to think and react to other players to survive) feel to approaching fights?

For context, I really enjoyed playing the rogue in warcraft for the strong control options that they brought to the table. I don't however want to say 'what's the most rogue-like', because it wasn't the ambush/backstab i enjoyed - but rather the kick, blind, gouge, kidney shot, recuperate, etc.

Any opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated!

You should try DoomRL if you are into roguelikes or ADOM if you havent played it yet.

On topic though:

Hybrid tankasins have nice CCs, those dont completely own a battlefield but have 3 single-target CCs (2 stuns, 1 mezz with stun), pull, aoe knockback and sap. They can spec for full tankiness to get aoe snare (their default snare is single-target and pretty crappy).

Concealment operatives have 2 stuns to stunlock, aoe mezz and snare with root, not much but its the rogue of swtor. Getting nerfed soon, kekeke. edit: also sap.

Snipers have aoe knockback with root, single target root, aoe mezz and can get either 1 more knockback (xman) or weak snare (engi/lethality). Also melee stun. Do note that they lack snares.

I think those are the classes with most CC in game. Tankasin is full support, can do damage too but its not what its about. Snipers are more control type and have range so they can and will use CC whenever they want. Operatives, well, they fight for themselves though can support others.

Edited by Vesperr

Thanks Vesperr - that really helps me outline some of the options I have.

Rafkin - I think my question was more along the lines of 'Who has the most...', but I will not disagree with you that sorcs are very effective. As an immortal spec-ed tank, I have a tough time take on sorcs - they feel like they can take more of a beating than me = ).

That said, the game will balance over time - I'm more interested in intended results. For example, the Rogue in warcraft was always intended to have a heavy-control theme - regardless of when/if they were good or bad.

Probably operatives/scoundrels. They each get two CC abilities (one vs droids only, one vs organics only), as well as a slow (sever tendon), disorient (flashbang), and stun (debilitate).

You can have the award for most wrong person.

I would go with Sorc.

Electrocute, Whirlwind, Force Slow, Jolt, Overload, etc.

For the most control, I'd definitely be recommending one of the Consular/Inquisitor advanced classes. A snare that can be kept up indefinitely, an AoE knockback, a 30 meter stun, and an in-combat mesmerize. That's not all of the CC they both get, but it's the main ones shared between the AC's, and the ones that matter most.

-Macheath.

A Sage/Sorcerer sounds like your best bet, with a 60 second in-combat CC and multiple stuns and interrupts. Commandos/Mercenaries also get a 60 second in-combat CC and some stuns but no interrupts. Scoundrels/Operatives get stuns and interrupts and do get two 60 second CCs (one robot, one non-robot) but they can only be used before combat starts, making them problematic unless you have a group competent and patient enough to let you set things up before attacking.

It sounds like the sorc/sage has greater control when compared to the operative/scoundrel brethren.

How about the sorc/sage vs the sniper/gunslinger? I remember seeing some early videos/comments from the SWTOR team that the sniper/gunslinger excelled at zone defense/denial in warzones.

Edited by Kirti

It sounds like the sorc/sage has greater control when compared to the operative/scoundrel brethren.

How about the sorc/sage vs the sniper/gunslinger? I remember seeing some early videos/comments from the SWTOR team that the sniper/gunslinger excelled at zone defense/denial in warzones.

Sage/Sorc still wins, due to the sniper/gunslinger's immobility.

Historically, I have really enjoyed classes that provide a lot of control to the group when running through flashpoints, taking on pvp, etc. I really enjoy the tactical approach to a fight that require you to interrupt, stun, cc, and in general be clever in your approach to the fight because you're dead otherwise. I've noticed most classes in this game get the basics of interrupt and some stuns.

In your opinion, which advanced classes offer the most tactical (needing to think and react to other players to survive) feel to approaching fights?

For context, I really enjoyed playing the rogue in warcraft for the strong control options that they brought to the table. I don't however want to say 'what's the most rogue-like', because it wasn't the ambush/backstab i enjoyed - but rather the kick, blind, gouge, kidney shot, recuperate, etc.

Any opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated!

Gunslinger/Sniper.

Your survival will literately depend on your kill order - how you spaced your GCD and which attacks you interrupt.

Throw this all on top of making sure players/mobs don't move to flank your cover.

As for zone defense - I can normally kill once person before they can actually get to the terminal on Alderaan - depending on the class.

Gunslingers are strong against Marauders/Juggernauts and Powertech/Mercenary's.

We can also kill with little problem - however the class we are very weak against are the Sorc's. After our Hunkerdown/entrench wears off we become vulnerable to they're endless amount of cc's. Not sure how we'll stand against Operatives now since the nerf.

Basically - if you want a very tactical PvE experience, role Gunslinger/Sniper.

However, since we do not have very many stuns and Cc's, PvP will be difficult.

For PvP I suggest sorc/sage

Edited by Elyons