THJ, bad story writing

TalonVII

I got asked in another thread where I thought The Last Jedi suffered from bad writing. Well there is so much I'm going to break this down into parts in a series and break down where I thought Rian Johnson completely s*** the bed. And he did so epically. So this will be a long running thread broken into parts. It will cover story arcs, characters, strategy, dialogue, pacing etc.

Part 1. The opening sequence. A Cluster F*** f bad decision making.

The opening sequence while visually stimulating with the fighting is shallow, poorly written, and shows an absolute lack of basic fighting princpals and tactics.

Poe going out there in a lone X-Wing and taunting Hux with a mom joke and bad radio problem was humor done so bad. It was just cringe worthy. Just outlines how much of a f***up Hux really is. Then Poe's assault with "he's moving too fast for point defense." Is the director/writer(cause Rian Johnson wrote this dumpster fire of a script) literally going to tell me the first order learned nothing from the Empire on defending big ships from fast moving fighters? REALLY? SERIOUSLY?!

Oh this just gets better. Poe calls in the bombers and protecting fighters to begin the assault on the Dreadnought(DN) and wow. The bombers used are so impractical and fundamentally stupid, I don't know why they got produced. They are hysterically slow, have zero armor, next to no point defense and are GIGANTIC. I mean good god, one hit out of controls tie fighter takes out 3 gosh darn bombers! I know what was tried to be achieved, a space version of a WW2 bombing run, but it is just so fundamentally bad, I just can't stomach it. Why fix something that's not broken? Why not Y wings and B wings? Faster, better protected and could of gotten more in to do the job and gotten more out alive. Rogue 1 did a far better job with a bomber attack over Scarrif.

Oh and furthermore on the bombers. Where in the name of hell did they suddenly come from? My best guess is hyperspace jump in or the First Order would of seen them all along. And if they didn't, chalk that up to even MORE incompetence. So the bombers jumped in. Why did they jump in so far away that it took that gosh darn long to make the bombing run? Why didn't they jump in closer, make the run and get the hell out? More incompetence.

Also back to Hux being a f***up. Why send your biggest gun you have at the time out alone, unsuppported when the rest of your fleet is RIGHT THERE?! He put the rest of his Star. Destroyers(SD) in a position where he could not effectively support his DN? Any sane admiral would make sure a valuable asset like that is WELL defended. Also choosing to destroy the immobile base over the ships that can actually flee is a major strategic and tactical blunder. Plus destroying said base robs you of possibly gaining Intel on the resistance which is asinine.

So far I have completely ripped apart the amount of bad writing this sequence had but the cherry on top and my absolute biggest problem with all of this is the Leia/Poe sequence. Which is a big middle finger to anyone in the military. Any sane General would not slap, degenerate, embarrass and demote a junior officer on the bridge of the flagship in front of the entire crew. In any sane military like structure THAT S*** DOES NOT HAPPEN.

When you get chewed out by a senior officer, it's done behind closed doors, far superior reasoning is used, and if demoted someone is promoted above him to take command. You don't undercut a mid level commander like that In front of the crew, then still expect him to still lead. Undercuts his authority and standing to do so.

Don't get me wrong. Leia was well within the right to punish Poe. He ignored a direct order, undercut the chain of command, and did get resources wasted Leia can't easily replace when he could of gone for the safer play and just taken out the main guns on the DN and then bugged out and really only needed himself and a few other fighters armed with torps to do so.

All in all. This sequence is badly thought out, and executed while visually stimulating, utterly bad. And the writing and director is squarely to blame. Just terrible f***ing writing and a completely lack of understanding of military strategy and tactics. FFS Hux, Poe, Leia and other officers are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL officers. Hell I was a Corporal in the USMC and I could lead either fleet better.

Next time I'm going to rip apart the follow on attack on the resistsnce, bad writing, decision making and a fundamental lack of understanding of basic physics.

Edited by TalonVII

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not disagreeing with you believe me, I thought TLJ was a clusterf**k of poor writing and wasted opportunities, however I might play devil's advocate just a tiny amount and say that a great many movies of this kind present an image distorted or outright divorced from how sane reality works.

One of the more baffling story screw-ups for me was Hux chasing what's left of the Resistance by slowly trailing behind it with a superdreadnought. Wouldn't it make sense to call in another star destroyer or two to attack the Resistance ships (that can't escape) from the front? Maybe trap them, instead of slowly following them and waiting for them to run out of fuel.

It's a more widespread malady. I would guess the entire industry is simply lazy or inept when it comes to this, but it's probably not even that they can't be bothered but that it simply doesn't occur to anyone, director, writer, whatever to do more in depth research about the specific things involved.

I'm not disagreeing with you believe me, I thought TLJ was a clusterf**k of poor writing and wasted opportunities, however I might play devil's advocate just a tiny amount and say that a great many movies of this kind present an image distorted or outright divorced from how sane reality works.

One of the more baffling story screw-ups for me was Hux chasing what's left of the Resistance by slowly trailing behind it with a superdreadnought. Wouldn't it make sense to call in another star destroyer or two to attack the Resistance ships (that can't escape) from the front? Maybe trap them, instead of slowly following them and waiting for them to run out of fuel.

It's a more widespread malady. I would guess the entire industry is simply lazy or inept when it comes to this, but it's probably not even that they can't be bothered but that it simply doesn't occur to anyone, director, writer, whatever to do more in depth research about the specific things involved.

I can't argue the fact a lot of Hollywood these days does that but it's just within suspension of disbelief. TLJ just broke that boundary within the first sequence and went downhill from there.

But the thing is Infinity War managed NOT to do that. Or at Least it was within the realm of suspension of disbelief can cover.

Why while on it's own IW was a good film, compared to TLJ it's a f*****g masterpiece of cinema.

So far I have completely ripped apart the amount of bad writing this sequence had but the cherry on top and my absolute biggest problem with all of this is the Leia/Poe sequence. Which is a big middle finger to anyone in the military. Any sane General would not slap, degenerate, embarrass and demote a junior officer on the bridge of the flagship in front of the entire crew. In any sane military like structure THAT S*** DOES NOT HAPPEN.

When you get chewed out by a senior officer, it's done behind closed doors, far superior reasoning is used, and if demoted someone is promoted above him to take command. You don't undercut a mid level commander like that In front of the crew, then still expect him to still lead. Undercuts his authority and standing to do so.

so.. it comes across like you haven't seen any Star Wars movies before. This part in particular.

If you had you would notice that the Rebels/Reistance isn't a typical military. They tend to be run by female royalty or at least by the aristocracy

In TPM we have Queen Amidala leading the armies of Naboo, in the OT we have the Rebeillion led by Mon Mothma and other people of nobility.

and now we have Princess Leia.

In fact the more militaristic rebellions like Saw Garrara's rebles are kicked out for being to harsh.

Point being in no way is this bad writitng or a big FU to the military. They are NOT a earth style miiliary as clearly shown being led by woman of noblitiy.

Oh plus you have Poe Dameron being raised by Leia so yeah... there is that too

I got asked in another thread where I thought The Last Jedi suffered from bad writing. Well there is so much I'm going to break this down into parts in a series and break down where I thought Rian Johnson completely s*** the bed. And he did so epically. So this will be a long running thread broken into parts. It will cover story arcs, characters, strategy, dialogue, pacing etc.

Part 1. The opening sequence. A Cluster F*** f bad decision making.

The opening sequence while visually stimulating with the fighting is shallow, poorly written, and shows an absolute lack of basic fighting princpals and tactics.

Poe going out there in a lone X-Wing and taunting Hux with a mom joke and bad radio problem was humor done so bad. It was just cringe worthy. Just outlines how much of a f***up Hux really is. Then Poe's assault with "he's moving too fast for point defense." Is the director/writer(cause Rian Johnson wrote this dumpster fire of a script) literally going to tell me the first order learned nothing from the Empire on defending big ships from fast moving fighters? REALLY? SERIOUSLY?!

I regards to this, Hux was very over-confident and prideful. Poe was using that as his advantage when he was taunting him and keeping his distracted before he charged against the surface cannons.

Oh this just gets better. Poe calls in the bombers and protecting fighters to begin the assault on the Dreadnought(DN) and wow. The bombers used are so impractical and fundamentally stupid, I don't know why they got produced. They are hysterically slow, have zero armor, next to no point defense and are GIGANTIC. I mean good god, one hit out of controls tie fighter takes out 3 gosh darn bombers! I know what was tried to be achieved, a space version of a WW2 bombing run, but it is just so fundamentally bad, I just can't stomach it. Why fix something that's not broken? Why not Y wings and B wings? Faster, better protected and could of gotten more in to do the job and gotten more out alive. Rogue 1 did a far better job with a bomber attack over Scarrif.

The Y-Wings were already old by the time of Galactic Civil War, and with the demilitarization act of the Galactic Republic, I would assume most were scrapped when it was viewed that fighters like it weren't needed anymore.

And MG-100 StarFortresses could deliver a bombing load of much larger amount than other starfighters.

Oh and furthermore on the bombers. Where in the name of hell did they suddenly come from? My best guess is hyperspace jump in or the First Order would of seen them all along. And if they didn't, chalk that up to even MORE incompetence. So the bombers jumped in. Why did they jump in so far away that it took that gosh darn long to make the bombing run? Why didn't they jump in closer, make the run and get the hell out? More incompetence.

Does everything really need an explanation of how something appeared in here? While it is a thing that cold probably use an answer, paying attention to every single bad detail will ruin the viewing experience of any film if you ask me.

Also back to Hux being a f***up. Why send your biggest gun you have at the time out alone, unsuppported when the rest of your fleet is RIGHT THERE?! He put the rest of his Star. Destroyers(SD) in a position where he could not effectively support his DN? Any sane admiral would make sure a valuable asset like that is WELL defended. Also choosing to destroy the immobile base over the ships that can actually flee is a major strategic and tactical blunder. Plus destroying said base robs you of possibly gaining Intel on the resistance which is asinine.

Hux was very over-confident and he most likely believed that they could wipe out the Resistance easily, especially when the galaxy was in state of chaos after the destruction of the Hosnian System.

Don't get me wrong. Leia was well within the right to punish Poe. He ignored a direct order, undercut the chain of command, and did get resources wasted Leia can't easily replace when he could of gone for the safer play and just taken out the main guns on the DN and then bugged out and really only needed himself and a few other fighters armed with torps to do so.

All in all. This sequence is badly thought out, and executed while visually stimulating, utterly bad. And the writing and director is squarely to blame. Just terrible f***ing writing and a completely lack of understanding of military strategy and tactics. FFS Hux, Poe, Leia and other officers are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL officers. Hell I was a Corporal in the USMC and I could lead either fleet better.

I do agree with this, but then we should remember that the Resistance (or any military in Star Wars) is not like our real world's military. Star Wars takes its influence from our world but its not same thing. In regards to Poe, I see his demotion in front of others as the way to teach him humility, a good part in any leader. He was still very hot-headed pilot whom Leia was coachng to become the next leader.

Next time I'm going to rip apart the follow on attack on the resistsnce, bad writing, decision making and a fundamental lack of understanding of basic physics.

As someone who was there the day that the original SW opened in her home town, I have suffered through the Prequels, dear gods, how I suffered, waiting and hoping for some Sequels. Well, now we've had 2, and I hate them. Two of my favourite characters are gone, and the replacements are just meh. Or irritating. Or both. Nor do I wish to suffer through another 'Dark Lord in his stroppy teenage years' scenario with the pathetic Kylo Ren git. This game is now the only SW component in my life, and after 40 years of love, I am now left with cold, dark contempt for what SW has become in the movies. My move to the Dark Side is complete. :csw_vader:

I regards to this, Hux was very over-confident and prideful. Poe was using that as his advantage when he was taunting him and keeping his distracted before he charged against the surface cannons.

The Y-Wings were already old by the time of Galactic Civil War, and with the demilitarization act of the Galactic Republic, I would assume most were scrapped when it was viewed that fighters like it weren't needed anymore.

And MG-100 StarFortresses could deliver a bombing load of much larger amount than other starfighters.

Does everything really need an explanation of how something appeared in here? While it is a thing that cold probably use an answer, paying attention to every single bad detail will ruin the viewing experience of any film if you ask me.

Hux was very over-confident and he most likely believed that they could wipe out the Resistance easily, especially when the galaxy was in state of chaos after the destruction of the Hosnian System.

I do agree with this, but then we should remember that the Resistance (or any military in Star Wars) is not like our real world's military. Star Wars takes its influence from our world but its not same thing. In regards to Poe, I see his demotion in front of others as the way to teach him humility, a good part in any leader. He was still very hot-headed pilot whom Leia was coachng to become the next leader.

So you explain it away for Hux is overconfident to explain basic blunders and a major fubar in how to handle Poe.

With Hux, takes away any threat this man posses and completely removed any tension cause now you know this man can't think or fight his way out of a wet paper bag. Plus Hux being humiliated in front of his man makes him even weaker.

With Poe you DO NOT humiliate a man like that in front of his peers and then still expect him to lead. Whether in the militiary, a private business whatever ya want, a counseling like that is DONE BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

You do not do that. You name a business, military, school etc where someone is chastised like that, and I'll show you a bad leader.

Leia HAS to respect the chain of command as much as she wants Poe to respect her. Can't degenerate the guy you still expect to lead your fighters into combat. Cause you're going to get " well Poe didn't listen during the last fight and he got demoted on the bridge. Why should I follow him?"

No. Just no. Bad writing and poorly done.

The Problem TalonVII describes is the exact same Problem i had watching the movie in cinema, named as the "Suspension of disbelief" if i'm correct. I couldn't care less about the great visuals or the acting in every scene because the cinematic universe as a whole didn't function anymore, at least for some friends of mine and me (the cherry on the cake was the scene of BB-8 trying to fix the X-Wing - it felt like excessive forced humor). It's just embarrassing when you want the movie to entertain you, but after 15 minutes you can't believe in the filmed world (because I wanted to, very hard). That hurts even more when the rest of the movie gets better over time (except for one story-arc or a bit of the humoristic parts).

I'm watching forward to your further posts in this thread, OP. It seems well made :)

So you explain it away for Hux is overconfident to explain basic blunders and a major fubar in how to handle Poe.

With Hux, takes away any threat this man posses and completely removed any tension cause now you know this man can't think or fight his way out of a wet paper bag. Plus Hux being humiliated in front of his man makes him even weaker.

With Poe you DO NOT humiliate a man like that in front of his peers and then still expect him to lead. Whether in the militiary, a private business whatever ya want, a counseling like that is DONE BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

You do not do that. You name a business, military, school etc where someone is chastised like that, and I'll show you a bad leader.

Leia HAS to respect the chain of command as much as she wants Poe to respect her. Can't degenerate the guy you still expect to lead your fighters into combat. Cause you're going to get " well Poe didn't listen during the last fight and he got demoted on the bridge. Why should I follow him?"

Well, that is how I view his character and how it was handled. He is not a carbon-copy of Tarkin (as someone referred him once), but his own character, who fails hard which shows that he's not perfect but even inadequate. In a similar way how Kylo is not Vader. Snoke himself said that he kept Hux around because he was useful to him still. Otherwise he would've disposed of him.

Like he most likely did with most of the First Order founders, including Rae Sloane.

In regards to Poe, yes it could've been handled better by Leia, but what was done is done. And despite the publicity of it, he still managed to inspire the people to follow him and rise up against higher-ups he viewed to be wrong. Imo, that speaks of deep trust that people in general have towards him, despite the public backlash.

again this isn't a standard Military in Star Wars it's a aristocratic military run by women of nobility, it's always been that way in Star Wars.

and again Poe is essentially her adopted son she raised him. So slapping him isn't out of character

again this isn't a standard Military in Star Wars it's a aristocratic military run by women of nobility, it's always been that way in Star Wars.

and again Poe is essentially her adopted son she raised him. So slapping him isn't out of character

It does not matter if its aristocratic or not. Military is a military. You can't go slapping junior officers on your bridge and have him have any kind of respect. The fact that he does is even worse writing and an even worse run outfit and further proof of BAD WRITING. You're making my point for me here.

It does not matter if its aristocratic or not. Military is a military. You can't go slapping junior officers on your bridge and have him have any kind of respect. The fact that he does is even worse writing and an even worse run outfit and further proof of BAD WRITING. You're making my point for me here.

... no a military is not a military. For example a medieval army run by a king or queen yes a slap across the face was acceptable. You know... exactly like the resistance and rebellion are. You do know that A New Hope is a fantasy film with sci fi aesthetics right?

what's really funny is it's clear you never served in a military because if you did you would know that getting chewed up called names in front of everyone is a common occurrence. Hell man it's even encouraged during boot camp

Edited by jarjarloves

... no a military is not a military. For example a medieval army run by a king or queen yes a slap across the face was acceptable. You know... exactly like the resistance and rebellion are. You do know that A New Hope is a fantasy film with sci fi aesthetics right?

what's really funny is it's clear you never served in a military because if you did you would know that getting chewed up called names in front of everyone is a common occurrence. Hell man it's even encouraged during boot camp

Funny, I served in the USMC for 7 years. A minor ***chewing is one thing. Being slapped(which does not happen) and being demoted in front of your peers on the spot(which also does not happen). That kind of dress down ***chewing happens behind closed doors.

From the sounds of it you're the one who's never served in the military.

Funny, I served in the USMC for 7 years. A minor ***chewing is one thing. Being slapped(which does not happen) and being demoted in front of your peers on the spot(which also does not happen). That kind of dress down ***chewing happens behind closed doors.

From the sounds of it you're the one who's never served in the military.

oh i'm calling BS right there no way in the Marine Core where you never cursed out and demeaning in front of other people.

yup never happens in the marine core.

As for hitting? not in todays military however when I served in the Navy yeah it happens we called it hazing.

So are you going to say any military movie where they hit or demean a soldier in front of other people disrespects the military and is bad writing?

Was a bad movie... people will defend because it’s Star Wars. But yeah... it was basura.

I’m not one of those people claiming it’s because feminism(I’m female) or because of SJWs(I’m nonwhite Hispanic).

It was just a bad Star Wars movie.

The Resistance is:

a) not a very well-run military outfit, from all indications

b) set in a fantasy world where events happen in order to provoke an emotional response from the viewer

Suspend your notions of reality and enjoy the entertainment. It's not a documentary.

The Resistance is:

a) not a very well-run military outfit, from all indications

b) set in a fantasy world where events happen in order to provoke an emotional response from the viewer

Suspend your notions of reality and enjoy the entertainment. It's not a documentary.

in that case it wasn't very entertaining either. Main plot, lets go chase a car (or fleet in this case) that has a half tank of gas, and follow them at a distance as we slowly take down the shields to destroy them. A 10 year old can come up with a better plot then that.

Edited by Toraak

in that case it wasn't very entertaining either. Main plot, lets go chase a car (or fleet in this case) that has a half tank of gas, and follow them at a distance as we slowly take down the shields to destroy them. A 10 year old can come up with a better plot then that.

Well, why don't you send your amazing resume/cv to Kathleen Kennedy and show us what you've got? After all, you must be the expert story teller... :t_eek:

oh i'm calling BS right there no way in the Marine Core where you never cursed out and demeaning in front of other people.

yup never happens in the marine core.

As for hitting? not in todays military however when I served in the Navy yeah it happens we called it hazing.

So are you going to say any military movie where they hit or demean a soldier in front of other people disrespects the military and is bad writing?

Actually for minor stuff happened all the time. For major stuff no it didn't.

Hell I'll give you a story since you don't believe me. Back when I was attached to First Radio Battalion when it was still at Kaneohe Bay Hawaii(the unit was later moved to Camp Pendleton and 1st was redesigned 3rd. I was there when the change happened them transferred to 1st in Pendleton) I had meant to set my alarm for 6 am but by mistake set my alarm for 6pm.

Ended up over sleeping till 845 am. Got up in a rush got dressed and ran to my platoon office 2 blocks away. Got in as the Sgt was teaching Basic Operators Course for all the new guys fresh out of school like me and yes I did get an *** chewing on the spot.

But my follow on page 11 official reprimand was done 1 on 1 where I got non recommended for promotion to Corporal for a month with a VERY strong warning that if I was late again I would be put up on charges for article 89 for being UA and possibly article 90 for disobeying a direct order.

Now you can keep claiming I never was. If you like I can start listing every where I was. Hell I can edit out certain parts of my DD214(sorry not getting my SSN) for you to peruse if ya like?

Hell I'll list my job and where I was everywhere I went.

Formally enlisted June 25th 2001. Graduated September 21st 2001 from platoon 1089, Bravo Company, First Recruit Training Bn, MCRD San Diego. Went on 10 days leave then went to Marine Combat Training Camp Pendleton for 17 days. Assigned to 1st Platoon, Golf Company.

Gratuated from that went to NAS Corry Station Pensacola Florida for CTR course. Was there from October 2001 to May 2002. Took a month of leave then went to Morse Code School at Ft Hauchucha AZ June 2002 to Nov 2002.

Then when I graduated from Morse code school went to my first duty station at what was then 1st Radio Bn from 2002 till 2004. When 1st was moved to Camp Pendleton I transferred t9 the new 1st Radio Bn. Stationed there from 2004 to 2006. During my time there I went on deployment with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit or 11th MEU from Feb to Sept 2006. I was attached to the MEU S-2 section, Radio Bn Detachment, SIGINT Support Team. Floated aboard USS Pelelieu, LHA-5.

After that came back to Radio Bn, then was transferred to Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion, Company Golf, RAF Menwithhill England where I was discharged from. Went to Marine Corps Base Quantico VA for my past 2 weeks of out processing where I was discharged Nov 8th 2008.

I was a 2621 Communications Collection and Analyst. Discharged as a Corporal.

Now anything else you'd like to know?

you just destroyed your entire argument......

Incorrect. Being demoted is a major thing. Disobeying a direct order in a combat situation is a major thing.

If Poe had come into the flight deck too fast and almost hit another fighter, that's something minor.

Here I'll give you all a perfect example of how Leia should of handled this.

Data handles Worf perfectly. You really think Data should of done this on the Bridge in front of the crew?

Incorrect. Being demoted is a major thing. Disobeying a direct order in a combat situation is a major thing.

If Poe had come into the flight deck too fast and almost hit another fighter, that's something minor.

Here I'll give you all a perfect example of how Leia should of handled this.

Data handles Worf perfectly. You really think Data should of done this on the Bridge in front of the crew?

you're argument wasn't you don't demote someone in front of others.

You're argument was and I quote

I

[quote=TalonVII;9595443

So yeah... you destroyed your own argument.

you're argument wasn't you don't demote someone in front of others.

You're argument was and I quote

So yeah... you destroyed your own argument.

Wrong. Yelling at a guy for a minor thing on the spot is a correction and a minor inconvenience. Slapping a man and demoting him is something entirely different.

And most times even yelling at someone on the spot is discouraged as it makes you look like a hothead.

Most times as a Marine I only yelled at someone if they were doing something stupid at that second. Otherwise I took them aside then chewed them out.

But please. Keep trying and failing to say I'm wrong when I've actually lived it.

Wrong. Yelling at a guy for a minor thing on the spot is a correction and a minor inconvenience. Slapping a man and demoting him is something entirely different.

And most times even yelling at someone on the spot is discouraged as it makes you look like a hothead.

Most times as a Marine I only yelled at someone if they were doing something stupid at that second. Otherwise I took them aside then chewed them out.

But please. Keep trying and failing to say I'm wrong when I've actually lived it.

..... again you are destroying your own arguement. There is no difference between slapiping and demoitng in front of peers then chewing them out in front of peers.

It has the exact same effect.

It doesn't matter if you lived it or not your arguement that Leia slapping Poe is disrecptful to the military and that no military ever does that is entierly wrong.

You yourself proved this is wrong.

..... again you are destroying your own arguement. There is no difference between slapiping and demoitng in front of peers then chewing them out in front of peers.

It has the exact same effect.

It doesn't matter if you lived it or not your arguement that Leia slapping Poe is disrecptful to the military and that no military ever does that is entierly wrong.

You yourself proved this is wrong.

Honestly, if I saw anyone military or not do that in public, I'd lose all respect for that individual. Slapping Poe was 100% uncalled for, and yes you take the discussion into a private meeting room between leia, and Poe for the Demotion. I lost all respect for Leia as a leader the instant that scene happened, She would know better and this to me is why it is terrible writing.