Useless Research Results

Xinjadu

Hello All

I am sure many people have already had this problem and have either privately groaned or publicly complained, but I would like to suggest an easy change that would remove a source of considerable frustration from the research of new patterns.

It is simply this: change the research possibilities so that useless patterns are not a possible option. Let me give you a perfect example. I was expensively burning through blue cunning implants in the hope of getting a purple version. After a lot of time and money I succeed? However, when I look at it, the additional stat I got was SHIELD RATING. Anyone who understands this game has either had this happen to them or will. There is NO tank role in existence with cunning as its primary attribute. Three are cunning DPS and cunning healers .... no tanks. So now I have epic implants for cunning tanks ....

To avoid this why not simply remove such options from the table? Keep redoubt on cunning gear if you wish (who knows, someone somewhere may want it and at least it does have an effect), but shield and absorb rating should never appear on cunning gear since no cunning character can equip a shield.

Seems like a simple fix - one of those cases when a minor fix can save on major player frustration.

Thanks for listening - and know that I continue to love this great game and wish the devs and the community all the best.

Edited by Xinjadu

This issue reminds me of a time (back in the 1970's; yes I'm that old) when NYC resurfaced the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) with an asphalt mix that included glass in the aggregate. Someone figured out that by adding recycled glass to the mix, the asphalt became stronger and therefore lasted longer. The flaw in the design was that it generated faster wear on the tires of the cars that drove on the surface. The NYC government had a choice to make - use the "glasphalt" and not have to resurface the expressway again for 30 years or use regular asphalt and have to resurface in 20 years. Guess which option the government chose? Yes, it meant that motorists who frequently commuted on that road would have to replace their tires more often, but the government saved millions of dollars over the extra life of the road surface. What killed the "experiment" was the glare the glass created.

The same thing can be said, of the RE system. The developers had a choice - implement a RE system where every trained schematic can result in a total of three blue quality and 15 purple quality, or spend extra time and resources (just before release no less because in beta there was a cunning tank) to figure out which schematics work with what primary stats and roles and filter out those that don't from EVERY schematic in every crafting crew skill. Guess which option BioWare chose? Yes, it means that we as players have to deal with artifact quality schematics with stats that do not match well. But maybe someday there will be a cunning tank and wouldn't it be silly to have to re-add those schematics they removed?

This issue reminds me of a time (back in the 1970's; yes I'm that old) when NYC resurfaced the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) with an asphalt mix that included glass in the aggregate. Someone figured out that by adding recycled glass to the mix, the asphalt became stronger and therefore lasted longer. The flaw in the design was that it generated faster wear on the tires of the cars that drove on the surface. The NYC government had a choice to make - use the "glasphalt" and not have to resurface the expressway again for 30 years or use regular asphalt and have to resurface in 20 years. Guess which option the government chose? Yes, it meant that motorists who frequently commuted on that road would have to replace their tires more often, but the government saved millions of dollars over the extra life of the road surface. What killed the "experiment" was the glare the glass created.

The same thing can be said, of the RE system. The developers had a choice - implement a RE system where every trained schematic can result in a total of three blue quality and 15 purple quality, or spend extra time and resources (just before release no less because in beta there was a cunning tank) to figure out which schematics work with what primary stats and roles and filter out those that don't from EVERY schematic in every crafting crew skill. Guess which option BioWare chose? Yes, it means that we as players have to deal with artifact quality schematics with stats that do not match well. But maybe someday there will be a cunning tank and wouldn't it be silly to have to re-add those schematics they removed?

for those who were not in the beta, what was htis cunning tank? was it a comp or a class tree?

for those who were not in the beta, what was htis cunning tank? was it a comp or a class tree?

I was not in beta, but I remember someone somewhere saying that the smuggler (and probably the agent too) had a tanking skill tree at one point in beta.

Exactly - there are no cunning tanks, whether player or companion. Obviously anyone who spend any resources crafting does o for their companions as well as their player character - be silly otherwise. On missions you are on unit. Every tank character has their cunning healer riding with them. My healer characters have tank companions decked out in the best tanking gear I can make. Edited by Xinjadu