Why the Jedi weren't be able to sense Sidious?

Slowpokeking

In EP III's novel when Dooku summoned the power of the Dark Side to strengthen himself he could see Palpatine as "absolute, perfect nothingness. Darkness beyond Darkness". In the Shadow Conspiracy it was also mentioned "To them(who could feel the Force), he was a dark sun blazing with power that is simultaneously hypnotizing and terrifying to behold." It's not like Yoda is weak at sense the Dark Side, he sensed Maul's return from so far away.

I agree he should be able to hide his presence in the Force when he is not doing anything, but when he is using his power like this episode, it is weird that the Jedi still could not sense it. At least they should be able to sense a dreadful darkness in the palace even if they could not identify it.

They could sense it, the problem was that it was so massive that it was blinding. They couldn't pin point where or from whom it was coming, it was simply everywhere. Or palpatine was using the darkside to cloud their senses as mace windu suggests when he says to yoda maybe its time to tell the senate that our power to use the force has diminished, to which yoda replies only the dark lord of the sith knows of our weakness.

Thats how i always thought of it anayway.

What I gathered was that all the war and misery in the galaxy was clouding his presence, that and he was good at hiding his true colors

The consular storyline has a lot of powerful sith lords hiding in plane sight in the Republic, one of them is even on the jedi council, guess Sidious has the same ability

Sidious used force concleament to hide his presence, more specificly called quey'tek meditation. This abillties was also used by Darth Caedus and Darth Plagueis. If you want to read more about this read the Plagueis book where this is explained.

Sidious used force concleament to hide his presence, more specificly called quey'tek meditation. This abillties was also used by Darth Caedus and Darth Plagueis. If you want to read more about this read the Plagueis book where this is explained.

I've read it.

It could only his presence when he's not using the power of the Dark Side, in EP III's novel Anakin could also feel him through the Force when he was fighting Windu.

They could sense it, the problem was that it was so massive that it was blinding. They couldn't pin point where or from whom it was coming, it was simply everywhere. Or palpatine was using the darkside to cloud their senses as mace windu suggests when he says to yoda maybe its time to tell the senate that our power to use the force has diminished, to which yoda replies only the dark lord of the sith knows of our weakness.

Simply this ya, the darkside clouded everything, too difficult to sense who it was, too strong. Palpatine clouded everything for yoda because yoda was powerful and he would sense Darth sidious if Palpatine had not clouded him.

Yoda: "The darkside clouds everything......"

Dooku and Maul both can sense it well of where did it come from, why can't the Jedi sense it?

Edited by Slowpokeking

Also Darth Zannah. Good call.

Dooku and Maul both can sense it well of where did it come from, why can't the Jedi sense it?

I would place my money on it being that Sidious didn't bother to cloud the minds of Dooku and Maul. You know, on account of them being on his side, and not being the people he wanted to decieve. I'm sure deceiving the entire Jedi order was already a strain, it would make sense if he didn't cloud anybody more than was absolutely necessary.

Just to be clear:

1) Sidious masked his presence well, as is referenced again and again in the movies or hinted at although unspoken.

2) Not only did he use the dark side to cloud the jedi, the scope and size of his power seems to have obsured the source of that darkness, even in this latest episode 16.

2) He clearly released his full power in the dark side fighting Windu, and his face visiblely changed. Doing so suddenly seemed to have clued the jedi in on his true nature and power.

3) Since his face doesn't change fighting Maul and Savage, my personal guess would be he didn't fully release the dark side, which also explains how Maul held his own as well as he did. If anyone would have sensed his presence during that combat, Sidious most likely guessed they would eventually attribute it to Maul and Savage, so his cover was 'safe' to go in person.

So really no conflict here, the story was put together well.

Just to be clear:

1) Sidious masked his presence well, as is referenced again and again in the movies or hinted at although unspoken.

2) Not only did he use the dark side to cloud the jedi, the scope and size of his power seems to have obsured the source of that darkness, even in this latest episode 16.

2) He clearly released his full power in the dark side fighting Windu, and his face visiblely changed. Doing so suddenly seemed to have clued the jedi in on his true nature and power.

3) Since his face doesn't change fighting Maul and Savage, my personal guess would be he didn't fully release the dark side, which also explains how Maul held his own as well as he did. If anyone would have sensed his presence during that combat, Sidious most likely guessed they would eventually attribute it to Maul and Savage, so his cover was 'safe' to go in person.

So really no conflict here, the story was put together well.

He was not cloaking himself, the novel Shadow Conspiracy showed to those who could feel the Force they could feel the dreadful darknees in him.

His face did change, in the novel it was said his chin was pale and his eyes are yellow.

He wasnt using the power of the dark side to conceal himself, he was using the kyber crystal to do that.

Sidious doesn't have the kyber crystal, the kyber crystal isn't even an actual thing anymore and hasn't been since the early drafts of ANH. Or it isn't what it was originally intended to be, its in canon now showing in TCW but its just known as the Kyber memory crystal and all it does is store information.

Sidious doesn't have the kyber crystal, the kyber crystal isn't even an actual thing anymore and hasn't been since the early drafts of ANH. Or it isn't what it was originally intended to be, its in canon now showing in TCW but its just known as the Kyber memory crystal and all it does is store information.

Interesting, thanks for the correction.