Last names?

Xerolyfe

You may be refering to the Legacy system that is in place and you have access to after you finish chapter 1 of your class quests. It let's you choose a surname for all your charatcers, though like a character name, only one user can have that name per server.

If you're refering to actually being able to choose a last name at character creation, then no it does not exist, though I wish it would. It would help with people who want to use a specific name, but because they came in to late can't because it's been locked by another user who chose it first. I always wonder why developers off MMOs don't implement this.

Last names are part of the Legacy System which should be "live". You need to finish Act 1 with any character on your account to enable the Legacy System content.

The Legacy content tab is either in the character sheet, or the window that displays the codex (it is a multi-tabbed window). I kind of forget exactly where it is, sorry.

Yep, once you finish chapter 1 you can choose a last name but it applies to all characters on that server.

It applies to all the characters on the server? That's... lame. What if I want to be Darth Evil Meanie on one toon and Master Super McNiceguy on another?

It applies to all the characters on the server? That's... lame. What if I want to be Darth Evil Meanie on one toon and Master Super McNiceguy on another?

It's because the Legacy system has much more in store down the road. It's not just a "last name" system, that is just the tip of the iceberg for what is to come.

Never messed with it, how does EQ2 handle names?

Well, it's been years since I played, but 5 years ago you chose a name just like in most MMOs and then, at level 10 I believe it was, you could add another name. So, for example, if you started with Leeroy, you could add Jenkins later, and become Leeroy Jenkins. And you could have different last names for all of your toons.

In EQ2 everyone also had their own instanced homes which they could buy furniture for and decorate. Which is a feature I don't understand why most MMOs don't have.

Edited by Xerolyfe

Well, it's been years since I played, but 5 years ago you chose a name just like in most MMOs and then, at level 10 I believe it was, you could add another name. So, for example, if you started with Leeroy, you could add Jenkins later, and become Leeroy Jenkins. And you could have different last names for all of your toons.

In EQ2 everyone also had their own instanced homes which they could buy furniture for and decorate. Which is a feature I don't understand why most MMOs don't have.

This is about what I'd like to see, though I'd rather have the ability to choose both at creation unless there is a way to have multiple characters with the same first name at the same time untill you hit level 10. TO me this would aleviate the problem of people locking a name on all servers making it impossible for others to use it. this of course is just my opinion. I'd really like to hear from the devs on why this doesn't get implemented.

As for the Legacy systems, for the most part I like the idea, but I have really no intention of all my characters being related and having the same last name, one other maybe, so it is limiting a little. I'd rather have the option for all characters to have the ability to choose a different surname.

I'm pretty sure this legacy system will be partly for associating characters with certain player accounts so people wont have to make names like: Foxtank and Foxhealz so everyone knows that this player is that Fox guy. Otherwise it would be pretty stupid to have invested all that time and money into these storylines only to find out all our characters are related to one another directly. Yeah I want some independent surname action too.

... I'd really like to hear from the devs on why this doesn't get implemented.

The reason for not being able to have multiple people with the same name (first name in the case of allowing last names) is because of the chat system used in MMOs. The chat systems in MMOs are usually fairly simple and straight forward. One of their biggest limitations is how you uniquely identify people in the chat system (in MMOs that is everyone logged into a server). The chat system is the core of the MMO; you could almost say everything else is built around it. So for you to be able to have the same name as someone else you would need to have some other way of identifying players in the chat system. Unfortunately that would also make the system harder to use when trying to send a tell to that random person that just saved your bacon. With the current systems I just send a tell to that character name, but if the system allowed multiple people to use the same name there would have to be some other way to identify that character to whatever the chat system is using to differentiate that player from the others with the same name.

I'm not saying it's not doable, but it does take a fairly simple chat system and make it less intuitive to use depending on what is used to differentiate people from one another.

So... do you have to choose a last name? I sort of don't even want one, lol. I like one word names, and surnames aren't something that are necessary, exactly. Not all cultures have always had them. Also, that would just bother me if a few years down the line I'm looking at my wookie and my twi'lek and they both have the same last name.

So... do you have to choose a last name? I sort of don't even want one, lol. I like one word names, and surnames aren't something that are necessary, exactly. Not all cultures have always had them. Also, that would just bother me if a few years down the line I'm looking at my wookie and my twi'lek and they both have the same last name.

You have to choose a Legacy Title. You are not forced to display it, however.