[Legacy] Will we have to re-roll to take advantage of some features?

Rafkin

Bioware, I understand you don't want to confirm specific features but we all saw the video of a new race option for sith warriors.

My question is are we going to have to re-roll alts to take advantage of new character creation options once the Legacy system is implemented?

I'm guessing the answer is yes, we will have to re-roll, because the only reason you would keep it a secret is if it was bad news.

Bioware, I understand you don't want to confirm specific features but we all saw the video of a new race option for sith warriors.

My question is are we going to have to re-roll alts to take advantage of new character creation options once the Legacy system is implemented?

I'm guessing the answer is yes, we will have to re-roll, because the only reason you would keep it a secret is if it was bad news.

Why put it in when it is bad news?

I look at it this way. Legacy means just that. A family tree- a Legacy of your name on said server that you are creating. To have a family tree you need to have more than one character. By its very definition to take full advantage of what Legacy offers, you will need to have alts.

Edited by jdnyc

I look at it this way. Legacy means just that. A family tree- a Legacy of your name on said server that you are creating. To have a family tree you need to have more than one character. By its very definition to take full advantage of what Legacy offers, you will need to have alts.

I think the issue isn't the need for alts, but the need to re-roll characters we already have in order to take advantage of options they add for Legacy.

I have a level 50 character and 7 other characters hovering around level 10. I don't want to level any of my alts any more 'cause I don't want some super cool, Legacy specific option to come out that I'll have to remake a character for.

Which is unfortunate, 'cause I love playing alts. It's the main thing that I spend my time on in MMOs. At the moment, though, I've limited myself to just a single alt so that I don't screw myself over when Legacy hits. It's a little obnoxious, but I hear they're integrating everything in March, so since it took me a month to hit 50 with my first character, it should take roughly the same amount of time with my second, and inbetween getting battlemaster and raiding and all that, Legacy should hit by the time I'm really hurting to start a new character.

I think that's the biggy, if they add new races/looks as legacy rewards, then I would hope they allow for some way to "remake" existing characters so we don't have to start all over.

Whole point of legacy system seems to be to encourage alts, but the possiblity of knowing any alt we make now will probably end up being a "throwaway" is seriously discouraging to the alt making process.

Ding . winner!

I am currently sitting at just under legacy lvl 11, got this mainly by having quite a few chars rolled ranging from 1 lvl 50, 2 * 28 and 2 between 10 and 20. If i find that due to the legacy system not being implemented till much later i am going to have to re roll a same class that is already lvl 50 just to get the benefits of a different species then i won't be happy.

They should of either not let us earn legacy lvls until it was fully implemented or at least allow us a free species transfer once it is implemented.

The Class stories are good sure, but in no way is it that good that i want to re roll the same class all over again, so due to the length of time it's taken to roll out the lagacy system why should i be punished by being made to re roll.

Just my thoughts.

In fairness this legacy thing isn't all that bad... it's annoying I'll give you that. But it's only coming most likely a couple months after release. If it came in an expansion it'd be a different story. Either way as far as I know all we have about this topic is speculation correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnyc

Ding . winner!

No..you're both losers. I'm asking if we will need to re-roll ALTS. Why would i think we need to re-roll mains?

I think the issue isn't the need for alts, but the need to re-roll characters we already have in order to take advantage of options they add for Legacy.

I have a level 50 character and 7 other characters hovering around level 10. I don't want to level any of my alts any more 'cause I don't want some super cool, Legacy specific option to come out that I'll have to remake a character for.

Which is unfortunate, 'cause I love playing alts. It's the main thing that I spend my time on in MMOs. At the moment, though, I've limited myself to just a single alt so that I don't screw myself over when Legacy hits. It's a little obnoxious, but I hear they're integrating everything in March, so since it took me a month to hit 50 with my first character, it should take roughly the same amount of time with my second, and inbetween getting battlemaster and raiding and all that, Legacy should hit by the time I'm really hurting to start a new character.

Exactly the situation I'm in. We really need some information on the Legacy system, I think-- even if it's not going to be implement for another month or two.

Why do people think that Miraluka is a sith warrior rather than a Dark side jedi?

Because he's clearly ON Korriban while wearing Sith Warrior gear?

I really wish the devs would comment on this. It would tell us one way or another about rolling alts. I've pretty much stopped leveling any alt that I think I may want a different species for the foreseeable future because I don't want to level them up and then have to re-roll. It would take the devs 2 minutes to let us know their thoughts on the matter.

I don't even care if they tell us one thing and then change their minds if it doesn't work out. I'd just like to know what they're thinking now so I can go back to either happily leveling my alts or feeling confident in shelving them for now.

I would be very surprised if they let you change the race of an already existing character. Wouldn't make much sense really.

Doesn't make much sense as to how a Chiss, a Cyborg, a Zabrak, a Twi'lek, a Mirialian, and a Miraluka are all related to each other by blood, either. I could have picked a legacy name that would have made more sense tying them all together with the Title option, but without allowing spaces... I'm stuck with a last name.

I say, let us change races when it's implemented, or let every character get one "free race change" token to use at some point. That way, even people who only play one character, and want Race X to be their main, won't have to force themselves to play a throwaway character just to get Legacy level 1 to unlock Race X as an option for their main.

I would be very surprised if they let you change the race of an already existing character. Wouldn't make much sense really.

It wouldn't make much sense, but it wouldn't affect gameplay in any meaningful way either. The only thing playing a different species would change (at least on Republic side) would be a few dialogue options regarding xenophobia and the use of the word "aliens" that are different between humans and non-humans.

Doesn't make much sense as to how a Chiss, a Cyborg, a Zabrak, a Twi'lek, a Mirialian, and a Miraluka are all related to each other by blood, either.

Yeah, but see the video preview of the legacy system shows someone creating a family tree made out of entirely of human characters. Which the game basically is anyhow, seeing as there aren't many really "alien" aliens to play anyhow.

This will be one of those features that go wasted because their good intentions will blow up in Bioware's face if they don't handle things correctly.

In this case, this Legacy system and its rewards should have been fleshed out and implemented when the game launched. But it wasn't, and that's Bioware's fault.

If they introduce this system and suddenly it's possible for unusual race-class-faction combinations to be created, many players who have already spent time leveling multiple characters are going to be extremely upset if they're not given the option to make one-time changes to their existing character's race/class/faction. Not allowing them too is just going to make people angry about supporting this game since launch, at a point where important features were clearly not finished.

Why would you have to roll a bunch of alts to take full advantage of the legacy thing when you kill stuff you get legacy xp? Couldn't you just kill a bunch of enemies to unlock all the legacy options?

I think it's because a lot of the otpions they're talking about are basically things like new races for player characters, the ability to use a speeder earlier, etc. If you only play one character, then good job - your legacy is level 50. However, you won't really be using a lot of the stuff you unlocked as far as player races / etc. go.

I could be wrong, though. They haven't really given anything concrete on what it exactly will have in it, though.

Personally, I think the Legacy feature is just one more overhyped feature. I don't expect much from it at all. After seeing the video you can play a Sith Warrior as a race that isn't available. Mondo cool. It's a human with a lap in front of his eyes.

I sure hope it brings a lot more to the table than just that. Like, an actual decent character customization menu with a lot more options.