How old is our character?

Zhedzaban

When we start the game i always assumed our character was a 20ish year old padawan/apprentice/recruit. My feeling is that the game has been going 6 years now and if we add to that the 5 years in stasis then our character is now in their early 30s.

Does that sound about right? Has anyone worked out an exact timeframe for our characters? Rightly or wrongly, I always assumed all the classes are the same age.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no canon age for the player character. But I assumed young for all since most seem to get called kid, child etc on the starter planets at the very least or told they're young. So their age is whatever you choose.

starter planet - SoR was approximately 5 years (mix of in-game timeframe and dev team info)

5 years in carbonite (we know that through dialogue)

Then 6-ish months between KotFE and KotET (dev tweets)

I'd personally guess by Iokath/Umbara approx 1-1/2 years has passed since being rescued from carbonite (to go with 6 years 8 months from Quinn chat). Making it 11-12 years since the starter planets.

Personally:

my sith warrior started out at 17 years old on Korriban (this is headcanon choice) so she'd be 28/29 during Iokath chronologically going off the estimates (minus 5 years biologically, I'm pretty sure people's bodies don't age when they're in carbonite)

Edited by Asmodesu

My main SW is mid-20s in Korriban. I look on Korriban as the equivalent of graduate school, at least for the Warrior track. The narration says she's been training elsewhere and her rival also mentions being at a different Academy. So early 30s when SoR ends and late 30s when she's pulled out of carbonite. Iokath is supposedly 6 years and 8 months after KOTFE begins Chapter 1 (there's a YouTube video where romanced Quinn actually gives this precise figure) so that's nearly 13 years in total, which means my SW is now hovering close to 40.

I'm fine with this timeline especially since I didn't want her to be lightyears younger than her LI, and Lana's estimated to be mid-40s - there's another post here where someone did the math on that.

My SI, however, is a baby - I have her at 18 when she's sent to Korriban.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

When we start the game i always assumed our character was a 20ish year old padawan/apprentice/recruit. My feeling is that the game has been going 6 years now and if we add to that the 5 years in stasis then our character is now in their early 30s.

Does that sound about right? Has anyone worked out an exact timeframe for our characters? Rightly or wrongly, I always assumed all the classes are the same age.

Age is pretty variable. You can headcannon your character to be whatever age they want. But they're 11-12 years older by Iokath than they were at level 1.

Companions less so. They all have concrete ages (and almost all the female LI ones are exactly 30 in KOTFE).

Interesting comments thank you.

I've always felt my character is older (and wiser) than the timeline might suggest. But looking at the math early 30s looks right but the characters in their 40s feels right. As you guys have said, I suppose it's head canon really so your age can be as you want it to be (to a degree).

Yup player character was made to be rather open in terms of age, we'll never get a canon. But companions - most have some approximate or set one.

I'm fine with this timeline especially since I didn't want her to be lightyears younger than her LI, and Lana's estimated to be mid-40s - there's another post here where someone did the math on that.

The bioware staff tweet was along the lines of "have her at same age as Theron's and leave it at that" which would have made her be in her mid-30's , but of course it's not as important to the dev team to give Lana a set DOB when they were asked and answered it. so people made their own up trying to base off codex data and other info snippets.

Edited by Asmodesu

Yup player character was made to be rather open in terms of age, we'll never get a canon. But companions - most have some approximate or set one.

Yeah and the bioware staff tweet was along the lines of "have her at same age as Theron's and leave it at that" which would have made her be in her mid-30's , but of course it's not as important to the dev team to give Lana a set DOB when they were asked and answered. so people made their own up trying to base off codex data and other info snippets.

Charles did say that, but IMHO the codex guesstimates made a lot more sense - unless she was a child prodigy, if she was a Sith and working on Hoth 10 years before the SWTOR characters were at Level 1, she would be at least early to mid 30s in SoR and late 30s to mid 40s when KOTFE starts.

Interesting comments thank you.

I've always felt my character is older (and wiser) than the timeline might suggest. But looking at the math early 30s looks right but the characters in their 40s feels right. As you guys have said, I suppose it's head canon really so your age can be as you want it to be (to a degree).

Do keep in mind that Alexander the Great conquered Greece before his 18th birthday, and Persia before the age of 30.

"Judge me by my [age], do you?"

Charles did say that, but IMHO the codex guesstimates made a lot more sense - unless she was a child prodigy, if she was a Sith and working on Hoth 10 years before the SWTOR characters were at Level 1, she would be at least early to mid 30s in SoR and late 30s to mid 40s when KOTFE starts.

Indeed. She's older than that even. She absolutely has to be mid 40's minimum, because KOTFE/KOTET happens 21 ATC (after the treaty of Coruscant).

Edited by Diviciacus

Do keep in mind that Alexander the Great conquered Greece before his 18th birthday, and Persia before the age of 30.

"Judge me by my [age], do you?"

Indeed. She's older than that even. She absolutely has to be mid 40's minimum, because KOTFE/KOTET happens 21 ATC (after the treaty of Coruscant).

My characters are all young, except my bounty hunter. young being 17-21 , for my own headcanon. Never had a problem with their ages even considering their jobs, well except with the class LI ages, not all are great for that young *cough*Quinn*cough*

Yup, never disagreed with fans trying to narrow down an approximate since Charles' didn't make sense, given the stuff we know about her in-game. Just thought I'd laugh over the fact the creative dev guy couldn't care less but I did find the "omg you don't read your own codex" argument hilariously accurate.

Edited by Asmodesu

My views on the starting age.

The two Jedi are on the young end, possibly late teens, but no more that 20-21, simply based on what the introductions say. By the beginning of Chapter Two, though, the Consular is old enough to be taken seriously by the Rift Alliance people.

The trooper is a recent Academy graduate, so early 20s.

The Sith are both on the young end, similar to the Jedi, although I suppose the Inq might be older - there is no clue given as to the age at which the SI is de-slaved. The Warrior has benefited from an accelerated training schedule due to Tremel's interventions, and hasn't even had time to learn the Sith Code, after all.

The Bounty Hunter is youngish, but, I would say, not as young as the Jedi - he must be believable as at least somewhat experienced, and a 17-year-old wouldn't pass muster. Say 25 at the minimum.

The Agent is, like the trooper, a recent graduate of training, and is probably a little older than the soldier. I'd go for him being around 25.

That leaves the Smuggler, who by my reckoning is the old man of the eight. An experienced smuggler and starship pilot, with enough reputation to pick up a job running guns into a warzone and enough skill to pull it off. I'll speculate, and suggest him being in the 30-35 range.

I have my main SW at 27 at the beginning of the vanilla story. However, that has to do with my head-canon backstory for her where she was a former Jedi trainee at the time of the Sacking of Coruscant. She was taken in by the Jedi at 12, spent 5 years training on Coruscant, then was captured by Sith during the fall of the Temple. She then spent 10 years under a Sith mentor before being sent to Korriban (I tend to view it like a previous poster as a sort of final "graduate school" for Sith).

I tend to play my characters as being a bit older than the expected 18-22...but probably because I'm older myself (47). I get a giggle out of people who go "OMG he's so old now!" at Quinn (I think his canon age at Iokath would be mid-40s now?) where I'm like "Nope, perfect age!" ;-)

My Sith Warrior is the mother of my Consular and Knight, so she's in her early 50s at the start of the game (there is a backstory reason for why she's just now finishing the Academy on Korriban; the short of it is that she's a traitor Jedi who switched sides during the Sacking of Coruscant and had to start from the bottom among the Sith, prove her loyalty). My male Agent is early/mid-40s (I really wish we had access to those wrinkles and such that NPCs use...) The rest are younger, in their 20s, with a couple who were in their late teens at the beginning. Edited by Ghanima_Atreides

My Warrior and Inquisitor are my two mains, and I imagine they were both around 22 at the Academy (they were there together). My Warrior was trained elsewhere up til that point, hidden in secret (for reasons to be revealed in my fanfic), and my Inquisitor escaped her slave master on Dromund Kaas at 21 and was found by a certain masked Dark Lord, who eventually brought her to Korriban himself.

3643 - Main Campaign starts (roughly) = 22 (as reference, Theron would be 23, Andronikos would be 35, Quinn would be 37)

3640 - Rise of the Hutt Cartel = 25 (Theron would be 26 and this is the same time he destroyed the Ascendant Spear, Andronikos would be 38, Quinn would be 40)

3638 - Forged Alliances = 27 (Theron would be 28, Andronikos would be 40, Quinn would be 42)

3637 - Shadow of Revan = 28 (Theron would be 29, Andronikos would be 41, Quinn would be 43)

3637 - Fallen Empire (pre-carbonite, I figure almost a full year after the start of SoR) = 29 (Theron would be 30, Andronikos would be 42, Quinn would be 44)

3632 - Fallen Empire (post carbonite) = 29 (still, and Theron would be 35, Andronikos would be 47, Quinn would be 49)

3630 - Iokath = 31 (Theron would be 37, Andronikos would be 49, Quinn would be 51)

I don't consider my characters as "aged" when they're locked in carbonite, whereas everybody else would have aged 5 years. Unless my assumption is incorrect and they do still age.

And yeah, so depending on your character's age, Nikki and Quinn could be some 20ish years older.

Edited by Dracofish

My views on the starting age.

The Sith are both on the young end, similar to the Jedi, although I suppose the Inq might be older - there is no clue given as to the age at which the SI is de-slaved. The Warrior has benefited from an accelerated training schedule due to Tremel's interventions, and hasn't even had time to learn the Sith Code, after all..

Given some of the Sith Warrior's lines to Baras later, I've always thought they were winding him up and just pretending not to know the Code. Since they're already so skilled in using the Dark Side, Tremel gets them from another Academy and Baras is being so pompous. At least in my head canon, I always have my SW give him the most deliberately obtuse answer since he's asking them for a dissertation there. :)

I always wanted my SW to yell "YOU FAT!!!!" in every convo with Darth Barrel.

I guess the Inquisitor was pulled from the slave ranks a fair bit before we meet him as he was pretty much lightning(ing) stuff out the gate. Then again from what I understand he already has a solid connection to the force anyway.

The BH seems relatively seasoned, so I'd say maybe mid 20s or early 30s.

Trooper is a youngun and Agent too.

I have my main SW at 27 at the beginning of the vanilla story. However, that has to do with my head-canon backstory for her where she was a former Jedi trainee at the time of the Sacking of Coruscant. She was taken in by the Jedi at 12, spent 5 years training on Coruscant, then was captured by Sith during the fall of the Temple. She then spent 10 years under a Sith mentor before being sent to Korriban (I tend to view it like a previous poster as a sort of final "graduate school" for Sith).

I tend to play my characters as being a bit older than the expected 18-22...but probably because I'm older myself (47). I get a giggle out of people who go "OMG he's so old now!" at Quinn (I think his canon age at Iokath would be mid-40s now?) where I'm like "Nope, perfect age!" ;-)

Isn't it a bit jarring when NPC's call you a kid or refer to you as young? True that only tends to happen in the first chapter (vanilla). By Act 2 my character starts to feel a lot more mature.

Isn't it a bit jarring when NPC's call you a kid or refer to you as young? True that only tends to happen in the first chapter (vanilla). By Act 2 my character starts to feel a lot more mature.

Baras was calling my SW a child in the final main story quest to the dark council too, a few other young mentions that chapter also. So for a couple of classes the young/kid comments continue right through. Most 'feel' mature from the start, though. whatever age they might be for the players.

Baras was calling my SW a child in the final main story quest to the dark council too, a few other young mentions that chapter also. So for a couple of classes the young/kid comments continue right through. Most 'feel' mature from the start, though. whatever age they might be for the players.

That's more belittlement than legitimate, though. I mean Baras is 57 by the time you kill him, so he IS older, but calling you a kid/child/whatever is really just an insult, not accuracy.

Especially if you've made your appearance to be more "mature"...I have a Trooper that when during the intro to the Trooper story when Gearbox calls him kid I'm thinking "Son...I'm old enough to be your daddy."

Not really, because in most cases, it seems like the speaker is using it as more of either an endearment or as a way of being condescending than actually commenting on the age of the character.