SWG PvP vs SWTOR PvP

Yoverion

I played SWG to the end and SWTOR from the start, and I can say SWG was more fun in both world pvp (by far) and also in instances.

We had a lot more mobility wicth allowed the outnumbered/weakeer group, at every fight, to have a chance to use hit and run, ambushes, LOS tanking and a several other tactics to split the larger/stronger group. It used to be common a group with half the size to win some fights. That's what I miss most.

Here it's impossible because of the excess of stuns, interrupts and snares. The weaker group is rolled over by the stronger without hope. That's why so many people quit a WZ when they realize they're on the weaker team.

I agree here. TOR is better in most aspects except world PvP action. There was a short period of time in SWG, like late 2006- early 2007, where the world PvP was extremely addictive and fun. It wasn't a stunlock death zerg, nor was it a healing stalemate zerg. There was a good balance between healing & dps and CC & mobility and a decent battle could last for a long time. Combat medics had area heals & combat rez but they had limited resources and cooldowns. If your team got wiped you lost the skirmish and had to regroup/rebuff to try again.

Plus you actually had to deathblow enemies to get a kill, clicking that deathblow on an incap'd enemy was very satisfying.

The objective-based PvP WZs in TOR are awesome but the CC/knockbacks are extreme and they play a bit more like a FPS deathmatch.

Edited by MorgonKara

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game needs a TKA, TKA/cm was epically fun to play. They just needed toget rid of the stupid red ribbons.

Ultimate Online way back in the day had awesome pvp, nothing like running around killing, then all of a sudden your a murder and no access to the cities.

SWTOR NEEDS space pvp, I don't know how many hours I'd waste on a Saturday night dog fighting in the pickup space pvp on Chilastra.

Edited by NNYRuhkl

SWG beats this game in almost every aspect:)

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I had such high hopes for this game, and hoped it would take the place of SWG for me. Sadly, this game's not even close. I played SWG from Beta2 until they day they shut it down, and although I was sometimes angry with it, (mostly the devs) it always kept my attention. I just don't see any way I could sink 9 years into this game like it did with Galaxies. The pvp is boring after a couple months. I don't care about the pve (which is uber easy) crafting lacks depth, there's no feeling of community, and since we don't even have proper server forums, there's little rivalry with the other faction.

Yeah, I'd take SWG pvp over TOR any day.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I had such high hopes for this game, and hoped it would take the place of SWG for me. Sadly, this game's not even close. I played SWG from Beta2 until they day they shut it down, and although I was sometimes angry with it, (mostly the devs) it always kept my attention. I just don't see any way I could sink 9 years into this game like it did with Galaxies. The pvp is boring after a couple months. I don't care about the pve (which is uber easy) crafting lacks depth, there's no feeling of community, and since we don't even have proper server forums, there's little rivalry with the other faction.

Yeah, I'd take SWG pvp over TOR any day.

Since the beta to the very end?

Much respect to you, I couldn't stand the NGE so I didn't really played the game past that point however that's when I discovered how spatial PvP was awesome and during the NGE days I would log a few times for a couple months between two others MMO and have some nostalgia playing it even though it was nothing like before.

I've lost all faith in the emu a couple years ago when I realized most of the devs didn't know a damn thing about the game, I wish someone would bring that game back somehow...

Oh and this thread needs more vids/pics :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owe6dshjJZA

I didn't think much of Pre-CU pvp. Wait an hour for buffs, then find a dancer and musician. Get your armor on, then find someone to kill. Hit them with knockdown/dizzy combo and hit them with one move till they get up and do the same to you. I have news for you that is not great pvp, it was so bad. CU I thought was the best out of all of it, I didn't like NGE at all even thought I gave it a try for a while. What I did like about SWG pvp was the sandbox feel of pvp.

Waiting an hour for buffs is an exaggeration at best. It also helped if you weren't so cheap that you didn't pay the 10k line cut fee.......or even remember to tip.......

Also, the knock-down/dizzy combo while great, wasn't what everyone was doing in PvP, not by a long-shot.

World PVP in swg was playing the wait game. You spent more time waiting than actually pvping. Personally, I take wow or swtor pvp any time over the boring world waiting pvp of swg.

No problem buddy, some people likes high quality restaurant where you have to wait longer to get an awesome meal.

And others prefer fast food where you eat non-stop and quick...

It's a matter of taste :cool:

Edited by Bocherel

When you had 3 or 4 full groups of imps and rebs killing each other over and over is Restuss it was awesome fun. I miss that very much, nothing here is anything that was.

I guess the big difference here: (aside from lack of meaningfull world pvp)

Here I PvP to grind gear . In SWG I did PvP for the sake of PvP.

I liked that my gear stats were based on my own decisions on what combinations worked best and there was NO Expertise stat

Edited by kirorx

Don't listen to anyone nostalgia'ing over pre-CU SWG, it was always terrible.

I played SWG at release and their team had never even heard of "diminishing returns" on abilities. That meant you could literally spend an entire fight stunned and on your back, not because you died fast... but because the other player had spec'd in a way that allowed him to keep you endlessly CC'd. Throw in the fact that some people could endlessly knock down large groups of players and you get an idea of what balance was like. Even when things got "fixed", early balance was so horrendous that once one broken class got nerfed into oblivion, another one would ascend into the throne of brokenness. I remember when I quit, any player with decent income could buy sets of armor + food + buffs that would essentially give them 99% damage mitigation. You could regenerate health and stamina easily, but your "mind" (blue) bar was much harder to regen, this led to every fight being about who could deal more "mind" damage. Snipers and Combat medics were 10000% better at this role than any other class, and so every fight immediately became about who brought more combat medics and snipers. Even better, combat medics didn't even need to actively damage you, they could just spam poison on large groups of players and unless you had a doctor cure you, you just had to sit there and watch your mind bar empty out until you died.

TL;DR, SWG was ambitious and I wish more games tried an open-world approach to MMO's - but the balance was beyond horrendous at every point of the game's life cycle.

Pre-CU I was not a fan, but after the CU I thought it was a blast. Ranged classes were suddenly strong, and Star Wars became a blaster driven universe again lol. And the open world fights were fantastic. No 8 vs. 8, you could actually find yourself in a 50 on 50 battle with so much going on you couldn't hope to keep track of it all. Edited by RobNightfall

TL;DR, SWG was ambitious and I wish more games tried an open-world approach to MMO's - but the balance was beyond horrendous at every point of the game's life cycle.

What you said might have been true at the very beginning of the game before people begun to understand how to mix templates and get the proper foods/gear/buffs.

Up to pub 9-10 (before we got a mass of jedi reroll) this was the most balanced game I ever played, easily, it's not even close, everything had a counter and only some love were needed for a couple of prof (ranger/ch/smug)

It has nothing to do with nostalgia though, bad people were rolling a FOTM template all the time but if you look at the big picture all those FOTM were in fact balanced and viable templates that could counter each other.