Low xp for level?

bunkys

It seems I am always a couple of levels below my class quest "meaning the 'boss' has 18 and I'm 16'. I do all the side quests I can find, and fight almost every mob i hit, but it seems that I am always below class level? My question, is this normal, new to mmo's so maybe this is the way it is supposed to be? I have not fought in heroics, having a hard time finding other players to do them with, so that may be part of it.

Getting to the end of the class quest is never hard, its the end of the class quest that I have problems with. Is there something i'm missing or do i need to do heroics to get the xp I need. Thanks for any help.

I've never had this problem. By doing all the quests (not even killing everything I run across, as I prefer sneaking out on my escape, just so I can quickly turn in and get my reward) I always find myself at or above the required level for the class story quests.

It seems I am always a couple of levels below my class quest "meaning the 'boss' has 18 and I'm 16'. I do all the side quests I can find, and fight almost every mob i hit, but it seems that I am always below class level? My question, is this normal, new to mmo's so maybe this is the way it is supposed to be? I have not fought in heroics, having a hard time finding other players to do them with, so that may be part of it.

Getting to the end of the class quest is never hard, its the end of the class quest that I have problems with. Is there something i'm missing or do i need to do heroics to get the xp I need. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like your ignoring your daily Space/PVP quests.

In order to keep level/ahead of your class quests, you need to make sure you do your Space/PVP Dailys and also mix in a FP or Heroic.

Otherwise your in for a long long leveling experience.

Sounds like your ignoring your daily Space/PVP quests.

In order to keep level/ahead of your class quests, you need to make sure you do your Space/PVP Dailys and also mix in a FP or Heroic.

Otherwise your in for a long long leveling experience.

not really. I stay fairly even with my class quests just by doing the regular side quests (non-Heroics, no Flashpoints, no PvP dailies) and Space Dailys.

I generally run + or - 1 level depending on when among the slew of side quests I decide to do my class quests.

A lot of this is impacted by how you level/quest-- you can do every quest but if you only do exactly every quest (not killing any more then you have to, maybe skipping group content, etc.) then you will probably find yourself slipping a bit back of the content. This can especially happen to stealth classes who can sneak there way to objectives without having to always fight through to them.

That said if you are somewhat thorough about heroics, kill the odd mob that's in your way here and there, and do all of the side-quests/bonus objectives this should not be a problem.

Right now on my main I just finished tatooine which is supposed to end around level 28, instead I am a little past halfway through 31. I have yet to do any space battles and over the last few planets have skipped a couple of the 4 man heroics.

That said I have done every single side-quest and its bonus, every 2-man heroic (since they are almost all soloable) have done every at-level flashpoint at least once (though none of them more then 2 or 3 times total), and when a mob is in my way I have a tendency to attack it much of the time instead of trying to path around it.

All that has added up to now being close to level 32 with two different sets of planets (Alderaan, Nar Shadda Bonus series) are supposed to be started (or at least obtained) at level 28.

Yes, if all you do is the main story/side quest/bonus and little else you will fall behind. I leveld that way on my 1st toon and fell behind after a few planets, i did some pvp until i was back on track.

If you add heroics you will be in line, if you do em all you will over level the content. Im not sure but i think all you need to do are the +2 but unsure of this as i do em all this time.

If you dont want to do that you can do space missions/operation or pvp to get the xp

I skip the heroics cause... well I dont like being around ppl and also only 4 ppl ever online on voss and planet before never more then 11 so not much of a choice, I am roughly 2 mayyybe 3 lvls below when I reach a new planet but either I'm skilled enough to handle quests and lvl up the lost lvls or you aren't playing your class right... never know. Voss has been very nice to me though and has helped me catch up almost to par so far.

i'm doing all stry and sidequests, bonus series, i skip mayny heroics cos manytimes i don't know how long time i have yet to play, i skipp fp (when i finish a planet they are to low, to high), space missions, no pvp (have 5fps in wz) and still 1-2 lvls above my quests

i'm doing all stry and sidequests, bonus series, i skip mayny heroics cos manytimes i don't know how long time i have yet to play, i skipp fp (when i finish a planet they are to low, to high), space missions, no pvp (have 5fps in wz) and still 1-2 lvls above my quests

Dang must be becouse im stealth and skip alot of killing.

Dang must be becouse im stealth and skip alot of killing.

i kill only in 2 cases in quests: mobs are in my way to objective and i can't ride/run them or because there is a bonus (in 90% of time i do all bonusses i get)

and always doing the bonus serries

Now i'm on Quesh and i'm lvl 39 and half and i just started it

Thanks for the reply everyone, fell asleep so did not catch these until now. From the sounds of it I need to do space missions and PVP. I just got the ship I'm in, and the quest it gave me when I was on the ship was the class quest. I have looked around ord mart for side quests and have not seen them, should i go back to the ship and look on that holo thing for other side quests? Is that where you get your space dalies? One of these days I will break these noob shackles.

I never do space missions. It's more like, you need to do more than just the planet quests to keep up with class quest levels. Some blend of warzones, flashpoints, space missions, and heroics ought to do the trick.

On my SI I do every quest available and Heroics IF i can easily find a group. I never do PvP or Space missions. I've been a couple levels AHEAD on every planet until I got to Voss where I ended up being at level. I found out later that I missed the Alderaan bonus series on accident so that's why I ended up being at level.

Point being if you do all the quests on a planet and a heroic here and there you'll stay above level.

I have not done PVP/Space quests and I am still 4 levels ahead of the quests if worked on in progression. It sounds like you have missed significant chunks of side quests. Keep in mind as you work on your class quest it will take you into different areas of the planet you are on and 9 times out of 10 there will be a hub of quests there. Also should be rule of thumb if you are running around in an area pop glances on your map radar to see if quest icon (the gold triangle) shows up.

not really. I stay fairly even with my class quests just by doing the regular side quests (non-Heroics, no Flashpoints, no PvP dailies) and Space Dailys.

I generally run + or - 1 level depending on when among the slew of side quests I decide to do my class quests.

Yes but sidequests take much longer to do, and don't reward nearly as much exp.

It can take about 30-60 mins to get all your space daily's done. and at levels 15-20 you can gain 1/2 of your level just in that.

at levels 15-25 i was averaging 2-3 levels a day with this method. Its extremely important that you do your Space/PVP daily's first thing you log in. And then focus on any needed FP's, and then planet questlines.

Having done my BH to 50 and my juggernaut at 42 I'll pipe in on this.

If you do only class/planet/side quests you'll start to fall behind around level 30+. At 40+ you'll be 2-4 levels behind the planet, namely Voss.

Part of the problem is that these quests' xp don't scale up to what they probably should be at.

I have this exact problem as well with my sith inquisitor.

I have done every single quest, done all the bonus quests but still find myself barely at level 9 and the only quests left are 10-11.

It feels like i've missed something but i've gone back over it all and there are no quests left.

It makes it quite annoying when you are swarmed by a mob of 4, you are weak a hell because you are such a low level and they are 2-3 levels above you.

I shouldn't be expected to grind to level 10-11 just to keep up with the quests.

What gives BW??

i like to do the quests and then complete them all at the same time, never done pvp though... dont know how or where it is. :p

The daily quests can be picked up at a terminal (near combat trainers) at your fleet. Then of course you just que PVP by hitting the icon on your minimap.

For those that havent done Space missions, there is a terminal on your ship.

These missions are vital to keeping your head above water as leveling goes.

IF you just do Class/Planet missions you will fall behind.

If done right, doing Space/PVP, Class, and FP dailys will keep you ahead of the game and you'll be able to plow strait thru.

hope this helps. sorry for late reply.

I don't know your playstyle or experience here, so my apologies if what I say is too obvious. You nee to walk EVERYWHERE, even areas that you have no quests in. Talk to anyone you can interact with. You will often get E.P. from lore entries (all of the Crew Skills people come to mind) interact with any object you can, again to get the lore entry E.P. It all adds up. Go to any unexplored areas of your map. You should scan all areas with the MINI-MAP not the main map, because quests will not appear on the full map. I am a level 16 gunslinger and I still have a level 9 mission. my average mission is in the 12-15 range. granted this is largely do to my stubborn habit of picking fights with nearly everything that moves(no PVP, though. I am no where near good enough at this game for that). Hope this helps.

Keeping in mind too, that logging out at the Cantina or on your own ship gives you an XP bonus for killing mobs.

It mind be not much compared to the XP you get from quests, but still it accumulates.

This.

Make it a habit to log out of the game from the rest zone. Unless you play for 10 hours straight, doing this will ensure that your XP bar is practically always green, and you will get double XP for every killed mob.