Take a page from WoW and let Tanks do some dmg.

gabarooni

I love playing as a Tank but boy it kills my immersion when I have to beat on something for 5 minutes with my "Lightsaber" just to kill it. In Wotlk wow started letting Tanks do decent dmg on their own and it didn't ruin the game in anyway. Just made playing as a tank much more enjoyable. Please please purtty please.

I love playing as a Tank but boy it kills my immersion when I have to beat on something for 5 minutes with my "Lightsaber" just to kill it. In Wotlk wow started letting Tanks do decent dmg on their own and it didn't ruin the game in anyway. Just made playing as a tank much more enjoyable. Please please purtty please.

I support this 100%. Im trying to level a vanguard and in order to do FP's i have to be tank spec. (no thanks to no dual spec option). Out of all 12 of my alts, it is the most painful playing experience i've had in this game.

THIS

IS

NOT

WOW

I love how my guardian does. I need more time to kill? Yes....but do I need to rest every combat? No. Can I pull more than 9 NPC?s withouth dying? Yes.

THIS

IS

NOT

WOW

Stop trying to transform this game into WoW.

THIS

IS

NOT

WOW

I love how my guardian does. I need more time to kill? Yes....but do I need to rest every combat? No. Can I pull more than 9 NPC?s withouth dying? Yes.

THIS

IS

NOT

WOW

Stop trying to transform this game into WoW.

stop confusing this game not being a WoW clone

Do NOT take another page from Warcrap. This game needs to stop trying to copy that lousy game and become it's own game. No more wow-like additions. We don't need them.

On topic, I love how my Shadowtank does. She doesn't deal a ton of damage but deals enough. You are a tank, you take damage. That is your role. In FPs you should have two DPS and a healer. You don't need to deal a lot of damage. If you aren't in a group then use your DPS companion. You take the aggro and your companion beats on the guy.

Do NOT take another page from Warcrap. This game needs to stop trying to copy that lousy game and become it's own game. No more wow-like additions. We don't need them.

I can't understand this logic. "Hey, there is this one game that has been out for many years now and has had time to refine basic quality of life enhancements like dual-spec, group finder, and UI add-ons, but heaven forbid we use these basic quality of life additions because that other game did it first and then we'd be accused of trying to be like it.".

Have you ever seen the way someone setup their living room and said "hey, that's a good idea, I should do that.", or seen a co-workers commute to work that took less time and decided to follow the same path? Well following your logic you absolutely can't do that because you weren't the first one with that idea. The concept that if someone else did it that you are now banned from doing it is the most brain-dead thing I've heard in quite some time. Where would technology be today if people weren't embracing and enhancing things other people did?

I don't know how we went from tanks hitting for crap damage to people flaming someone for comparing a MMO to another very, very successful MMO. If anything, ALL MMOs should take something from the success of other MMOs such as WoW and making it their own. After all, SW ToR has many things that WoW has already, such as WoW has many things that EQ has, and so on.

Anyway, I agree. ALL other MMOs tanks can put a punishing on mobs, yes they can't take them down as fast as other classes can, but they can take them down in a timely fashion. My Sage can AOE and take down 9 mobs in a third of the time it takes my Guardian to take down 9 mobs. And, my Sage only takes about 3-4 seconds of down time between pulls.

So, I can kill more mobs on my Sage than my Guardian can in quicker amount of time. Only thing my Guardian can do better than my Sage is solo SOME 1-2 Heroics, and that is about it.

It's very painful watching my Guardian pound on a single mob the same level, it takes to long.

Edited by Grendelwolf

You are joking, right? Tanks and Healers in this game do relatively a lot of damage compared to a game like WoW. But not only that. Somehow, the developers also managed to make tanking and healing actually FUN in this game, which is something Activision never really managed. The few methods of tanking and healing that were actually somewhat fun to do were nerfed into oblivion there, for "fear that too many people would flock to those specs and the other specs would not be used anymore". Odd reason huh? They've given the exact same reason for some other class/spec combination, and simply said they didn't want to bring them on par with other specs because it was too much fun..

I hated both tanking and healing in WoW, while I'm actually enjoying it here!

Yes, you deal a little less damage still than true DPS specs as a tank, and a healer won't be able to top the DPS charts AND keep everybody topped up at the same time. But both have been designed to do their share of damage, and both deliver on that.

I find that both my Guardian and Juggernaut are superb tanks. They can stand and fight for a long time and deal enough damage to down many large mobs, even when I've been careless enough to pull two or three mobs. Some times I've been amazed how much they can withstand even when the health bar is all but gone.

I only played a tank for a few levels in WoW, I preferred the Hunter char, but I've had better success here in the tank role (solo or in groups).

The classes are fine, I play multiple healers tanks and dps classes. All of them can play perfectly fine. Use a DPS companion for a change and it makes up for your lower offence, while your outstanding defense keeps you alive.

As for PVP, you can be rather OP when played correctly as a tank or healer. Reminder PVP is a team work environment, so don't expect to do crazy good solo against a group. After all we don't have a team death match, mindless killing isn't a theme in swtor.

You are joking, right? Tanks and Healers in this game do relatively a lot of damage compared to a game like WoW. But not only that. Somehow, the developers also managed to make tanking and healing actually FUN in this game, which is something Activision never really managed. The few methods of tanking and healing that were actually somewhat fun to do were nerfed into oblivion there, for "fear that too many people would flock to those specs and the other specs would not be used anymore". Odd reason huh? They've given the exact same reason for some other class/spec combination, and simply said they didn't want to bring them on par with other specs because it was too much fun..

I hated both tanking and healing in WoW, while I'm actually enjoying it here!

Yes, you deal a little less damage still than true DPS specs as a tank, and a healer won't be able to top the DPS charts AND keep everybody topped up at the same time. But both have been designed to do their share of damage, and both deliver on that.

Tanking and Healing in SW tor is just like any other MMO, put on the right stance, jump in first to grab agro, taunt enemies that drop agro from you. It's the same in every MMO. no difference. Tank in one MMO, you can tank in any MMO.

Only difference is that in other MMOs tanks don't take 4 minutes to take down en equally level single mob. In SW ToR you need to have all that survivability because it takes forever to take anything down. I am NOT suggesting putting tank damage on par with DPS classes, I am suggesting that they beef up our damage output a bit.

BTW, I am not talking about PVP. Besides, increasing our damage output a bit is not game breaking.

In any other MMO tanks that wield 2 handed weapons hit like a Mac truck, but swing a bit slower than one handed classes. So when they hit/crit, the mob feels it and takes a substantial amount of damage. Not in SW ToR, taking down a single mob especially one that has a HOT or any other healing abilities, it takes forever since tanks damage output can't hit for more than what the mob can heal through.

Edited by Grendelwolf

I can't understand this logic. "Hey, there is this one game that has been out for many years now and has had time to refine basic quality of life enhancements like dual-spec, group finder, and UI add-ons, but heaven forbid we use these basic quality of life additions because that other game did it first and then we'd be accused of trying to be like it.".

Have you ever seen the way someone setup their living room and said "hey, that's a good idea, I should do that.", or seen a co-workers commute to work that took less time and decided to follow the same path? Well following your logic you absolutely can't do that because you weren't the first one with that idea. The concept that if someone else did it that you are now banned from doing it is the most brain-dead thing I've heard in quite some time. Where would technology be today if people weren't embracing and enhancing things other people did?

Basics are one thing. In case you missed the point, we should NOT do like wow and let tanks deal MORE damage than they already do. Tanks are fine in this game. They do not need to be like wow. I also stand by what I said in that this game needs to stop trying to copy wow. It is time to take things in a differant direction. Giving tanks more dps is not something BW needs to copy from wow. This has nothing to do with group finder or dual spec. This is about tanks dealing more damage. that is NOT a basic quality of life feature.

Tanking and Healing in SW tor is just like any other MMO, put on the right stance, jump in first to grab agro, taunt enemies that drop agro from you. It's the same in every MMO. no difference. Tank in one MMO, you can tank in any MMO.

Only difference is that in other MMOs tanks don't take 4 minutes to take down en equally level single mob. In SW ToR you need to have all that survivability because it takes forever to take anything down. I am NOT suggesting putting tank damage on par with DPS classes, I am suggesting that they beef up our damage output a bit.

BTW, I am not talking about PVP. Besides, increasing our damage output a bit is not game breaking.

In any other MMO tanks that wield 2 handed weapons hit like a Mac truck, but swing a bit slower than one handed classes. So when they hit/crit, the mob feels it and takes a substantial amount of damage. Not in SW ToR, taking down a single mob especially one that has a HOT or any other healing abilities, it takes forever since tanks damage output can't hit for more than what the mob can heal through.

Unlike other MMOs, we have companions. If you are out by yourself and have trouble taking down a mob quickly then pull out a dps companion. I take down mobs pretty quickly with my Shadowtank because I always have Nadia out. Her dps with my defense is more than enough for most enemies. Tanks are fine in this game. We do not need more damage output.

A lot of bad things this game have is from wow. The greater the distance from wow better this game'll be. I still think they should remove some things that they copy from wow.

Tank should resist damage and not do it. If you let tank do more dps, you should do the same with healer, and soon be dps will be of no use.

It seems the curmudgeons are out in force lately...

I had characters of nearly every class for years in a certain other MMO, as I do in SWTOR and I strongly support the OP; not because of any relation between particular MMO's but for the lessons I learned from the experience, something a great many people seem dead against because (arrogant, ignorant) Opinion.

The great privilege of Tanking isn't that you're nigh-indestructible, you most certainly are not. The privilege of Tanking (and healing) is the Role, the respect, the responsibility, the tactics. If all that mattered was having something for the boss to beat on, there are certainly many options that don't require one player to sacrifice their time & goals for the sake of everybody else.

The only reason why tanks (or frankly even healers for that matter) shouldn't have a greater impact on DPS is the fear of balancing Hybrids. On the other hand, attacking stuff is what most people enjoy most - not everybody of course, I say 'most' because I mean most, but not everybody. I point this out because I've seen this debate several times and no matter where it takes place, the arguments for and against are always the same.

There is no scenario where anybody's having fun if your character can't accomplish things in a reasonable time or can't participate as fully as other players. There's no reason or value in hamstringing tanks just because they fill a particular role in groups. Most importantly, all classes need a similar range of capability and viability with core features (ie combat) to sustain participation.

Relegating healers and tanks to only being 'fun' in the narrow context of their group role gives RPG's and MMO's exactly the problem they all face - too few tanks and frequently, too few healers.

I'm not suggesting there shouldn't be a balance - else we'd all simply run tanks and healers, I'm not suggesting that the only option is straight-up DPS increases either. The balance is out of whack though and the issue does need serious review.

My big issue with tanks at the moment isn't damage.. It is threat generation.. I don't feel I should have to spam a taunt just to maintain aggro off a well geared DPS... My tank is 100% campaign with some dread pieces..

I just want a little more threat generation be it more damage or just a small increase in the threat generated by our skills..

Edited by MajikMyst

No thanks.

Tanks are tanks for a reason, to take damage, protect allies, and occupy enemies. That's why you make groups with other DPS and heals while you protect them. If you're doing solo content then get out your DPS companion and guard them.

The only area where your problem of no-DPS-tank could really exist is in PvP if you happen to get randomed in a pug with 4 other tanks and 3 heals. Any other time just do what The Rock says and know your role.

For those people who say Tanks should take damage but not effective at dealing damage in return probably never played that much of MMO. In Asian styled MMOs like Aion and TERA, their "tanks" are more than capable of taking damage, holding aggro and own faces all at the same time. Those of you who played as a Templar in Aion will know what I am talking about.

In my opinion it did ruin WoW. One of the main reasons I left was that Blizzard had created two superclasses of Paladins and Death Knights. They were relatively balanced in PVE against other tank classes but in PVP they were virtually unkillable. And then they neglected to substantially nerf them despite many complaints.

With abilities like Divine Shield and Lay on Hands, pvp against a pally tank was like fighting a raid boss. It went something like this: damage paladin tank to near death, paladin tank bubbles and heals himself to full in 2-3 seconds, damage him to near death again, paladin tank casts Lay on Hands healing himself to full, damage him to near death again (while you are taking small amounts of damage constantly), paladins bubble comes off cooldown, he bubbles and heals himself to full in a few seconds, repeat ad nauseum. DK tanks were different but the same result.

A class that has a excellent defensive abilities needs to do less damage. If you want to quest faster, pull out a dps companion.

It´s fine that tanks do less damage, noone is arguing that. But all tanks should do about the same damage. Atm guardian/juggernaut tanks does 200 less dps than other tanks and with threath generator that´s 400tps. Ofc we could just get more threath to some of our skills but as we get even better gear the differense between ex. shadow tanks dps and guardian tanks dps will grow again and guardians will end up generatin less tps thann other tanks again.

No, tanks shouldn´t do the same dps as a dps player. BUT they should do the same dps as other tanks. If one tank does more damage than another tank the low "dps" tank will end up with threath problems.

Gearscaling should increase tanks tps just as much as the dps guys tps. with the mods and enhancement tanks will ofc go for max defensive stats and more or less avoid any dps stats.. Ofc they do. It´s what tanks do. Fokus on staying alive, not doing damage. Tanks worrying about dooing more damage is wrong, but still. Guardians do less tps than other tanks, and they do less dps. Do you see the connection ? Maybe, just maybe up the juggernaut/guardian tanks dps a bit to get it where other tanks dps is. Then maybe their tps will be where the other tanks tps are too.

Edited by Petnil

Is this the WoW that has tanks topping the damage meters because the vengeance mechanic is stupid?

If you are to implement the trinity (A bad idea in my book, but that is what they have done) then you need to do it properly which means tanks don't do much damage, otherwise you have to balance that with DPS that can take a decent beating, which invalidates tanks in all but the hardest content and is back to square 1.

On topic, I love how my Shadowtank does. She doesn't deal a ton of damage but deals enough. You are a tank, you take damage. That is your role. In FPs you should have two DPS and a healer. You don't need to deal a lot of damage. If you aren't in a group then use your DPS companion. You take the aggro and your companion beats on the guy.

I agree 100%. A Tanks job is to TAKE DAMAGE, not dish it out.

I play my Powertech gal as tank spec (lvl 33, I avoid all missions but class storyline), and I somehow still manage to be in the "top 3" of WZ charts in damage 80_ of my games (and overall, but that is tanks (pun definitely intended) to damage protected/objectives ratings).

So, in short, tanks can do enough damage, if you know what are you doing, and if you use DPS companion.