So I've returned...

cdman

Honestly, the only advice I can give you is to start a new character and fiddle around with it for a while until you get your bearings and a feel for how the game handles now. Not saying you should completely abandon your old high-level character, just that you have a lot to remember after many years AND a lot of changes to completely re-learn, and the lower levels are way, way more forgiving of mistakes. If you try to jump directly into high-level content with a character you haven't played in years, you might die a lot and get really frustrated, is all.

Honestly, the only advice I can give you is to start a new character and fiddle around with it for a while until you get your bearings and a feel for how the game handles now. Not saying you should completely abandon your old high-level character, just that you have a lot to remember after many years AND a lot of changes to completely re-learn, and the lower levels are way, way more forgiving of mistakes. If you try to jump directly into high-level content with a character you haven't played in years, you might die a lot and get really frustrated, is all.

This is great advice, especially because I have been pretty active since 2.3 and have had to make major adjustments to my own play style as the changes have occurred. Feel free to message me anytime (there is also a personal email address attached to my blog link below that you can use to contact me if you have questions). I have played the Sorc (healer), and Jugg (tank) to high level and am working on a PT tank now. I am more than happy to help anyway I can.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys. Now.... what class to reroll....

Is there any discernible difference between each faction's mirror class now, or are they still pretty much identical apart from the story line?

I have only rolled Imperial toons. From what I have heard the play styles of the mirrors are still the same (different animations and ability names), but the stories are different. I love the Imperial stories, but I am a dark sider up one side and down the other.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys. Now.... what class to reroll....

Is there any discernible difference between each faction's mirror class now, or are they still pretty much identical apart from the story line?

But my favorite class thus far has been the Sith Warrior (I went juggernaut as AC and have a beginner's guide attached to my blog).

It sort of depends on the specific advanced class. While every AC is indeed an exact mirror of its Pub/Imp counterpart mechanics-wise, some "feel" more different than others.

For example, Sith Jugg and Jedi Guardian feel *exactly* the same to me, as do Sith Assassin and Jedi Shadow. However, Operative and Scoundrel feel *so* much different to me... while you're playing the exact same way, the Operative is mostly stabbing and slicing people, while the Scoundrel is mostly beating them to death with their fists and (literally, as in with feet) kicking the stuffing out of them (note: this is even more fun than it sounds *totally biased*). Same with a DPS Trooper Vanguard and a Bounty Hunter Powertech. Though the effects of the moves are the same, since the Trooper is mostly shooting and hurling stuff while the PT is mostly... uh... setting people on fire, one feels a lot choppier/more ham-fisted while the other has a smoother, more "flowing" feel.

Sorry to ramble, heh. But I think you'll get what I'm saying more once you've tried out a few classes, if you plan to do so! ^_^

What class to reroll is a completely personal preference..

I rejoined in January and started up a guild with the community I have played alongside since last summer. We settled on Republic for our main focus and so I rolled a scoundrel. As a former solo player it is a potent choice. I can heal. I have a tank companion immediately. I can stealth. I can do just about any heroic without issue or help.

I really enjoy the playstyle and the healing style, but that is just how I like to play.

If you can tell us what you have played and what you liked and disliked that would help determine a recommendation.

My problem with running as a Juggie is the fact that absolutely hate the healing companion for warriors. I would love to throw him into a Sarlac pit and allow him to be digested slowly for 1,000 years. Obviously, tanking is my preferred play style. I love to just jump in and tear my enemies down. That's why the Juggie feels so great to me. I have found that I really like the healing companion for Bounty Hunters (Mako) though. She's full of great one-liners and isn't whimsy like Talos Drellik or Quinn. That will make tanking through the planets much more fun with my Powertech. Vette was great for DPS, but I found I lost too much affection when doing Dark Side choices, so I usually run with Jaesa (though she is kind of in warrior DPS gear at the moment-took DPS gear drops on Rishi since I am max level and trying to get my basics up to buy basic gear on Zerne). That's my experience at least. I tried a healer (sorcerer) and like the play style as well, but it makes me feel so so so so squishy.