MDN players on Bastion/Harbinger

Roastmouse

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if im wrong but ...

You are incorrect.

Bastion isn't quite as busy as Harbringer as Scorpio mentioned, but its still packed. Bastion's off peak is still 2 instances of the fleet until really late for us. It does drop down to 1 fleet though once it gets really late for us Aussies. However there is normally around 200 on the fleet anyway.

Normal pvp pops never stop, and last time we did rated pvp, it was from about 9pm to 11pm our time, and we got 5 or 6 games in.

As for what jumpsuit says, well it all boils down to your personal preferences really. He places a 'playing expereince/ping issue' over a 'gaming expereince'. I think he has it backwards, but he is entitled to his opinion and choses to play where he finds the most enjoyment.

I really don't find the ping that bad, and if you play just about any other MMO out there, it will be the same or worse than US swtor servers. We all played just fine on swiftsure as mentioned, i think people have just been spoilt.

All that aside, even with the occasional fake GCD, the gaming experience i get from the US servers far outwieghs any negatives. A thriving GTN, where just about anything is for sale, and people acutally buy stuff, and things aren't ridculously expensive. 24 hour pvp pops in lowbies and 50's, rateds every day, both organized and pug, with a huge variety of competition (especially compared to MDN). Group finder pops, lots of raiding guilds, and most importantly, actual real people to level up with on lowbie planets, sometimes with 3 or 4 instances of the most popular planets.

There is also a strong oceanic presence in other guilds, so organized raiding at our prime time is not completely off the table.

Moving servers was the best thing i did, it revived the game for me and got me interested again. If things are getting old playing against the same players all the time, or just feeling stale in general, i suggest you give Harbringer or Bastion a go with an open mind.

Imo the 'playing' experience doesn't matter if the 'game' experience is rubbish. But each to their own.

Edited by GHoppa

You are incorrect.

Bastion isn't quite as busy as Harbringer as Scorpio mentioned, but its still packed. Bastion's off peak is still 2 instances of the fleet until really late for us. It does drop down to 1 fleet though once it gets really late for us Aussies. However there is normally around 200 on the fleet anyway.

Normal pvp pops never stop, and last time we did rated pvp, it was from about 9pm to 11pm our time, and we got 5 or 6 games in.

As for what jumpsuit says, well it all boils down to your personal preferences really. He places a 'playing expereince/ping issue' over a 'gaming expereince'. I think he has it backwards, but he is entitled to his opinion and choses to play where he finds the most enjoyment.

I really don't find the ping that bad, and if you play just about any other MMO out there, it will be the same or worse than US swtor servers. We all played just fine on swiftsure as mentioned, i think people have just been spoilt.

All that aside, even with the occasional fake GCD, the gaming experience i get from the US servers far outwieghs any negatives. A thriving GTN, where just about anything is for sale, and people acutally buy stuff, and things aren't ridculously expensive. 24 hour pvp pops in lowbies and 50's, rateds every day, both organized and pug, with a huge variety of competition (especially compared to MDN). Group finder pops, lots of raiding guilds, and most importantly, actual real people to level up with on lowbie planets, sometimes with 3 or 4 instances of the most popular planets.

There is also a strong oceanic presence in other guilds, so organized raiding at our prime time is not completely off the table.

Moving servers was the best thing i did, it revived the game for me and got me interested again. If things are getting old playing against the same players all the time, or just feeling stale in general, i suggest you give Harbringer or Bastion a go with an open mind.

Imo the 'playing' experience doesn't matter if the 'game' experience is rubbish. But each to their own.

Exactly. Also, meeting new people does add new motivation to level again, making the process a lot less painful than I could imagine. And I changed factions, which was a breath of fresh air. I rerolled on Bation abotu a week ago and I'm almost level 40 after casually playing for a week (and liberal use of the cartel and legacy XP boosts).

Also, your legacy unlocks carry over across servers.

That's the thing. Sometimes I'm 50/50 as to whether I'd prefer the Aussie servers to be consolidated to a single server, or for BioWare to write this all off as a failed experiment and ship us back to the US servers.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ping on the Aussie servers, but even with a single Aussie server we're not going to match the pops and diversity of The Harbinger/The Bastion.

The information i see from torstatus shows that over a 24hour period the population is light. Considering peak time is considered 8pm onwards, it would place the us server at 2am.

Even Gav Daragon has a medium population indication at that time. Not saying you guys are wrong, but the data doesnt support your claims, and people have a tendancy to exagerate data when trying to make a point.

Edited by Yndras

I suggest you actually play on The Harbinger during Aussie peak hours insted of just making stuff up.

I play on Harbinger after work, and it's the complete opposite of Ghost Town. Always multiple instances of fleet, planets, always get warzone and HM FP pop. True it's better to play during their peak for more consistant echelon of players, but I can do that on the weekends.

Since the start of 1.7 - when I get home and go to Ilum, there has been up to 16 instances running. And this is during Aussie peak time.

Perhaps the APAC population would be better if the people spending all this effort to get people to come play with them on US servers CONTINUED to play on the APAC servers.

Edited by Yndras

Perhaps the APAC population would be better if the people spending all this effort to get people to come play with them on US servers CONTINUED to play on the APAC servers.

Hahaha, mate view my signature and tune in tonight at 8:30PM AEDT.

As to the other post about the 'standard' and 'light' population, if you have read the forums you would know that these do not reflect a standardised set of player numbers (e.g 150 players = light) but are reflective of the number of active players on that server.

E.g Master D has, for arguments sake, 500 registered players, anything under 20% of that represents light, 50% = standard, 70% = heavy, 90% = very heavy.

bit late to that party

no offence but after youve seen your 5th gulid fall through due to population issues master d can go **** itself

Hahaha, mate view my signature and tune in tonight at 8:30PM AEDT.

As to the other post about the 'standard' and 'light' population, if you have read the forums you would know that these do not reflect a standardised set of player numbers (e.g 150 players = light) but are reflective of the number of active players on that server.

E.g Master D has, for arguments sake, 500 registered players, anything under 20% of that represents light, 50% = standard, 70% = heavy, 90% = very heavy.

I wasnt directing the comment at you directly, I realise you are still active on the server. And doing great things for it I might add. I tried to make it as general as possible as it was more directed at the people who had left.

I was not aware of how the population indicators worked. Thanks for that. Im guessing when you say players, your refering to active accounts with characters on that server. So if that was the case you could effectively create a scew of numbers should there be alot of people with toons on a server, but never actually play those toons?

I guess it makes sence to judge population that way, but it definately varies from my initial take on the matter.

That makes light much better for Master d, as it would be reflecting the peak of its life time rather than the reset states of the american servers. Assuming ofcourse the peak numbers have not been adjusted.

And light on the american servers looks to be significantly more in that case.

Edited by Yndras

Yeah, you got it. It's all based on numbers server-by-server rather than a standardised population marker.

Apologies for my snippy reply earlier, hadn't had my injection of coffee. Seriously need to kick the habit BUT DAMN IT TASTES SO GOOD! :)

Watched your replays during work today. Good work on organising the RAW. Was fun to watch. Thanks to all for organising and competing in a great event.

Edited by Yndras