Worst/Most pointless companions in the game?

Guildrum

So in your opinion, who do you think is the most pointless/overall worst companion in the game? I have not made more than one class to 50, but I have to saw I fail to see the point in Bowdaar for the Smuggler. His only real redeeming quality, is that he's a wookiee.

Seriously, he's, 1. Melodramatic: (I die! Go on without me!) 2. He was SWTOR's equivalent to a WWE wrestler (His fights with Drooga were staged) 3. He's no better at tanking than Corso, and no better at DPS than Akaavi. 4. He sits in the KITCHEN all day surrounded by ALCOHOL, pretty sure Wookiees are not supposed to drink... If I had the choice, I would have made him, 1. Less of a "wannabe noble savage" and 2. Made him act more independent, I mean, the guy was a slave until I saved his butt, once he was freed, don't you think that he might I dunno... Take advantage of that?

Sure, the guy's useful to have on the ship though... So no one steals it again while I am gone. Who is your least favorite companion? And how could they be made better?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in your opinion, who do you think is the most pointless/overall worst companion in the game? I have not made more than one class to 50, but I have to saw I fail to see the point in Bowdaar for the Smuggler. His only real redeeming quality, is that he's a wookiee.

Seriously, he's, 1. Melodramatic: (I die! Go on without me!) 2. He was SWTOR's equivalent to a WWE wrestler (His fights with Drooga were staged) 3. He's no better at tanking than Corso, and no better at DPS than Akaavi. 4. He sits in the KITCHEN all day surrounded by ALCOHOL, pretty sure Wookiees are not supposed to drink... If I had the choice, I would have made him, 1. Less of a "wannabe noble savage" and 2. Made him act more independent, I mean, the guy was a slave until I saved his butt, once he was freed, don't you think that he might I dunno... Take advantage of that?

Sure, the guy's useful to have on the ship though... So no one steals it again while I am gone. Who is your least favorite companion? And how could they be made better?

Why do I need Vector?

Why?

His DPS stinks. He's an off-tank who uses light armor. He's a bugman. All he talks about is bugs. He refers to himself as "we". What's the point? Why not just replace him with a real killik? That would actually be more interesting...

Why do I need Vector?

Why?

His DPS stinks. He's an off-tank who uses light armor. He's a bugman. All he talks about is bugs. He refers to himself as "we". What's the point? Why not just replace him with a real killik? That would actually be more interesting...

Well how could he have been made better instead of just outright replacing him? The point of this thread was to give constructive ideas (That Bioware will hopefully take note of, probably not though), not rant about their companions. :p

So far, the BH companion Skadge. I already had a tank companion, Blizz, (but being a powertech even he's only good for his armormech speed up and to park my tank gear on when I'm in damage gear.) Skadge, like Bowdarr, is just there for most of his introduction- unlike Bowdarr, though you have to use Skadge at the end of the planet's line (Bowdarr's just there and you fight beside him, he's not shoved into your face.)

Skadge does have some decent lines about dying mobs not screaming enough, but meh. He's just there in case a planet runs out of warts and needs a resupply.

i agree with the op, bowdarr is an uninspired, generic noble savage wookie that bw didn't bother putting any new thoughts into like they did with the wook from kotor 2.

my least favorite though is torian, the melee dps bh companion, who's nothing more than the obligatory female romantic interest with just barely enough of a background to justify his place in the story. beyond 'hey, i'm mandalorian' he's just a stock heartthrob. of course, mako's kinda the same, but, er, well... i got nothing. but still.

Lt. Iresso for the consular. While he is a nice enough tank for those who do not like Qyzen (and at this point most people who use a tank will probably just use Qyzen anyway) he is so boring. I honestly think they just realized that the consular needed another companion so they picked a generic soldier. What's ironic is that Belsavis and Voss gave two people that should've been companions and were more interesting. I mean at least Theran had Holiday.

skadge..

my bh has enough false accusations on her to be tied with black sun shenannegins

and yes, i agree torian is pretty shallow once you get past " obligatory female partner, and token mando"

but... he makes a descent trophy husband :D

blizz imo, is a glorified vanity pet.... but he still rocks..cause well, hes blizz

I absoluley love Kira, but unfortunatley, she takes very little aggro. Im not saying replace her, im saying increase her threat generation a bit.

she's a melee dps character, she's supposed to do very little threat. thats like her job lol. plus she's extremely important tot he story lol.

anyhow back on topic. i'd say the following....

Rusk from the JK. he just sorta joins you for no real reason. plus he's so stiff and not really likable at all.

Bowdaar from the smuggler - he's pretty damn pointless. he's a mopey whiney wookiee. he's got no real personaltiy aside from "hey im a wookiee and im gonna complain about being a slave once".

Iresso from the consular - same thing as rusk, except he's alot more likable as a character.

i'll probably get alot of hate for this one, but i'm going to say Khem Val from the inquisitor. yeah he's story relevent and stuff. it just ALWAYS bugged me why the hell my inquisitor would keep this big Dashade monster around when he CONSTANTLY reminds you how he wants to kill you. why would you do that? makes no sense. (my favorite inquisitor companion oddly enough was ashara, the one most inquisitors complain about lol)

I absoluley love Kira, but unfortunatley, she takes very little aggro. Im not saying replace her, im saying increase her threat generation a bit.

You are a tank, she is DPS. She shouldn't get agro at all or at worst only sometimes.

You are a tank, she is DPS. She shouldn't get agro at all or at worst only sometimes.

Depends on if you're running a Guardian or a Sentinel. If you're running a Sentinel, Kira shouldn't even BE there unless you're just going with Offense AS Defense strategy.

And if you're a Guardian, she IS your DPS when it comes to taking down the bad guys.

Kira and Jaesa serve the exact same purposes. DPS and Eye Candy. :p

All that said, Most pointless companion in the game HAS to be Skadge. Good lord, does he have to be dumb, ugly, AND evil??? Seriously, his DPS is in the toilet, and his Tanking ability is also nearly non-existent. Unless you're running a Healing spec, he goes down faster than Jill Kelly.

Blizz on the other hand fills the Tank role just fine, and he's a blast to take along on missions. :)

khem i deslike him so much that i have reconsiderd rolling as a sorc.

im sick of hearing about tulok hord he gets in my way every time i want to talk to someone and hes just a borning character to talk to.

as a sorc im anoyed that hes the only tank we get when warriors and knights get 2 i dont want ot have to relay on him all the way to lvl 50.

Skadge, hands down. Not only does he comes so late in the game, but he has a personality that makes Gault's look like a saint. We didn't need another tank(I was tanking and Blizz was backup) and frankly Skadge is the worst companion period. While Broonmark is fairly useless, at least he's got a real personality. Skadge is just many many bad words that I will not repeat here. :mad:

Lt. Rusk is my second vote. While he isn't an insufferable wretch like Skadge, he is just kinda along for the ride. If I need good dps, I'll break out Kira. Rusk doesn't seem to fit in well with the JK story imho. :rolleyes:

Vette is profoundly annoying, but at least you get a shock collar with her.

Kaliyo, on the other hand, is just as annoying--you think you're so awesome, get over yourself already--but I just can't seem to be rid of her. She insists on flirting with me or thinking I'm flirting with her--it seems like half the time I tell her to shut up (which she never does)], she's practically aroused by it, which would be awesome if I didn't find her hideous (and, of course, obnoxious). Kaliyo is that person we all know who thinks they're way, way cooler than they actually are.

She also makes a lousy tank; she draws aggro well enough, but she can barely stand up to a strong breeze. I love absolutely everything about playing a Sniper except Kaliyo.

Edited by TitusVorenus

SW-Broonmark...while his devotion is admirable, he's just the token monster.

Imp Agent-Kaliyo (omg, shutthef***up...u can have the head. Thank the maker for Vector), Scorpio sux too...I need 2 robots like a hole in the head.

SI-They all pretty much suck, though with modifications Revel is fine. For a long time I was considering Khem as a romantic interest...yeah, they're that bad. So from this lot, I choose Talos. Why couldn't BW have made him more sexxxy, instead of a little worm?

BH-That Skadge thing.

Jedi Knight-Not a a big fan of Rusk.

Jedi Consular-Like, SI they all suck. From a female point of view, the only interesting man turns out to be Holo-sexual, lol. Qyzen's growling starts to annoy after a while too.

Trooper-none of the companions interest me, so I doubt I'll even play it, unless I'm uber bored and finished everything else.

Smuggler-Haven't really got much use for Guss Tuna or whatever his name is. Need to play this more to make a definitive choice...

There is no point in having Ensign Temple or Broonmark around. Temple's reason for being there is "NO DON'T KILL THAT HELPLESS SOLDIER!", which is kinda ****ed since I played my Agent COMPLETELY dark and killed pretty much everyone. Broonmark's reason is "RAWR U LET ME KILL GUY SO I JOIN YOU 4EVER"

Neither of them have any impact on the story after you leave Hoth (even then, the two of them have little impact), and even their personal stories are boring.

Mako

IMO she is the worst companion ever and Im stuck with her because she is SUPPOSEDLY my healer. But she never heals. When she does it is like for 80 points and Im lvl 33. >.< Yet she heals herself for over 600 points. I watched this in action all day yesterday. It is ridiculous. I honestly shouldnt be dying repeatedly at lvl 33 because my healer totally sucks a**.

And every word that comes out of her mouth is sooooo annoying and degrading. As a female player I find her overly whiney and offensive. She is a total wimp...really pathetic. The rest of her "story" lines etc make no sense. One minute she is whining at me not to forget we are a team and when Im mean to her and tell her we arent a team, that she works for me...she says she doesnt. She's weird.

If I had the option to throw her out of the airlock, I most certainly would. Im going to die anyway whether she is with me or not since she is such a horrid healer so why not die happily without her instead of cursing at her for not doing her job? The only ways I can think for Bioware to fix her is to permanently gag her so I never have to hear her speak and to make her a much more effective healer.

Honestly I'd much rather my "trophy husband" as people called him (personally I like Torian best because he is the most low key) or Gault be my healer companion.

Skadge is just a waste of carbon. When I first played my BH after my Sniper, I was pleased at the fact that they have much better companions overall...till I got this puke. Scorpio is just a glorified Microsoft product ("time to upgrade", "I must upgrade",etc.) and I really want this thing off my ship. Kaliyo went from obnoxious to worthless really fast and I would love to dump her out the airlock. Edited by IronSalamander

For the Inquisitor, especially a female, evil Inquisitor, Ashara Zavros (or whatever her surname is).

She likes no companion gifts beyond getting a minor increase for I think 3 different types. All others get nothing.

She is light-sided (and in fact runs around claiming to be Jedi) so you can't get any affection with her from conversations if you are dark-sided, and she cannot be turned.

Jedi Knight: Rusk. It's not that I think he's a bad characters, I just have no desire to get to know him better, and I'm not sure what role he fills.

Bounty Hunter: Skage. Seriously, my Bounty Hunter would have killed him rather than let him on the ship if the game let me. He doesn't mesh at all with the rest of my companions as far as I can see, and just seems to be there to be overly bloodthirsty.

Story aside, from what I've found is companions that can't heal, or to some lesser degree, tank - are completely useless.

Since we cannot use our companions in full group Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones - there is no real reason for a DPS companion. Tank companions are usually far too squishy (heard they were nerfed in late beta). Healing companions are likely overpowered.

As a Sage, I found myself running with Theran for solo questing and only occasionally with Qyzen. As a gunnery Commando (my main), I run exclusively with Elara, my healer. I've found that using her reduces my downtime to nearly zero - even while fighting elites.

From a perspective of "how useful are the individual companions" - then only healers and tanks are useful. DPS are just... pointless. What we need is a mechanism to rekit our companions to do a role that we need. I'd like to use a companion other than Elara while doing dailies but unfortunately, Tanno Vik or Yuun cannot be made to heal. After all, I suppose clicking a diagnostic scanner, shooting kolto bullets and throwing kolto bombs requires a college education.

So for me, only Elara is useful to me in practicality - the rest are nothing more than crew mission bots - only slightly more useful than C2N2.

Edited by Raeln