Do I need a pre-paid card ?

Asmodeusxi

Hello guys and girls,

In my account I have allready got 30 days of play time from the game client I have bought.

My question is , I need a pre-paid card too in order to play the game from 20 December and beyond or I 'll use my 30 days time and when this times ellapses Ill need to add time?

Please answer only if you know for sure , and I would appreciate if a more official answer would come from the employees.

Thank you.

The way these types of games and subscriptions work is as follows:

If you pre-ordered you have until pre-order ends to keep playing. Once that ends you WILL need to enter your games retail code into the site so BioWare and EA know you have bought the game and licence, with that code it will automatically add your first 30 days access.

Once that is done will will have 2 main options:

1. Buy Game Cards from a retailer

2. Add an automatic subscription in your preferred payment method.

Details for the payment methods will be found in the Billing scetion of the Help Center (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/1863)

Hope that answers it for you.

Edited by publicFunction

Well i have to disagree....

From what is written in billing FAQ and in the terms of use it seems we are unable to use those 30 days from the retail game copy untill we pay either in pre-paid card or subscription fee using credit card/pay pal for anther month of gameplay....

Wich... SUX.

I hope anybody from the support team can clear this out so it will be 100% straight how situation looks like.

I think it's very clear and still the same like any other MMO.

When you buy the game, you get 30 days of free game time.

However, in order to play the game you must have an ACTIVE subscription.

Whether this is by PayPal, Visa or Game Time Card is up to you.

If you want to pay recurring fees through Paypal or Visa, you will not get billed untill your initial free 30 day period is over. After this first period you will get bill via your selected payment method.

If you don't want to use a recurring billing cycle, you can choose to pay with game time cards. In order to play, however, you must activate a valid game time card.

YOU CANNOT PLAY UNTILL YOU REGISTERED YOUR VISA CARD, PAYPAL ACCOUNT, OR GAME TIME CARD, EVEN IF YOU HAVE 30 FREE DAYS WORTH OF GAMETIME.

Once again, if you sign up for a recurring subscription, you do not get billed untill your free 30 days are over. If you use a game time card, you will have: 30 free days + amount of days added through game time. You cannot play untill you selected a method.

Hope this helps.

Anve

A question about 30 days.

The 30 days is not depanding of time i play? Or 30 days means 30*24 hours in game time?

It is not pay by the hour, so it's not dependant on the time you actually spend logged in and playing, it will keep counting down while offline. So it's effectively 30 days of continuous unlimited access.

Edited by Amarinth

I think it's very clear and still the same like any other MMO.

When you buy the game, you get 30 days of free game time.

However, in order to play the game you must have an ACTIVE subscription.

Whether this is by PayPal, Visa or Game Time Card is up to you.

If you want to pay recurring fees through Paypal or Visa, you will not get billed untill your initial free 30 day period is over. After this first period you will get bill via your selected payment method.

If you don't want to use a recurring billing cycle, you can choose to pay with game time cards. In order to play, however, you must activate a valid game time card.

YOU CANNOT PLAY UNTILL YOU REGISTERED YOUR VISA CARD, PAYPAL ACCOUNT, OR GAME TIME CARD, EVEN IF YOU HAVE 30 FREE DAYS WORTH OF GAMETIME.

Once again, if you sign up for a recurring subscription, you do not get billed untill your free 30 days are over. If you use a game time card, you will have: 30 free days + amount of days added through game time. You cannot play untill you selected a method.

Hope this helps.

Anve

Well if that's true, then that's quite a crock of crap for the people with tight funds. I mean why not advertise the game as $59.99 standard edition with 30 days of Free game time useable AFTER first purchasing 30 days of game time. So instead of $59.99, you will need $74.98 + tax to play the game.

Well if that's true, then that's quite a crock of crap for the people with tight funds. I mean why not advertise the game as $59.99 standard edition with 30 days of Free game time useable AFTER first purchasing 30 days of game time. So instead of $59.99, you will need $74.98 + tax to play the game.

It's been this way with pretty much every mmo I know.

For instance: WoW and Aion use the same system.

In addtion, if you go to your account you will see a checklist of things you need to complete in order to play the game. Setting up a subscription or adding a gametime card is one of those things.

Hey guys,

So there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the free 30 days you acquire upon pre-ordering Star Wars: The Old Republic.

First, let me start off by saying that you MUST add a subscription to your account to receive your 30 free days of playing time. While this isn't what most people expected, there is a silver lining. If you subscribe via credit card (or debit), you WILL NOT be charged until after the 30 days of playing time, but you MUST have an active subscription pending on your account to receive the 30 days.

Second, if you decide to purchase a pre-paid card from a retailer or online, you will still receive 30 days free playing time, which will be funded to your account after the time you've paid for.

Hope this helps clear things up! If you have further questions, I'm subscribed to this thread, so feel free to reply.

For future reference, the F.A.Q. can be accessed here.

Regards,

Tenneth

Thanks for the clear info.. Been so long since I played a new MMO, must have forgot that most do this initial sub payment.

I've yet to see a successful one that did. Usually they let you play uninterrupted for the first 30 days to get people interested and hooked, then require a subscription.

Unfortunately, back when I pre-ordered, there was no mention that a subscription would be required to receive the free playing time, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the DDE.

Anyway, what is done is done. EA and Bioware may lose quite a few potential customers to this, though.

Hey guys,

First, let me start off by saying that you MUST add a subscription to your account to receive your 30 free days of playing time. While this isn't what most people expected, there is a silver lining. If you subscribe via credit card (or debit), you WILL NOT be charged until after the 30 days of playing time, but you MUST have an active subscription pending on your account to receive the 30 days.

For future reference, the F.A.Q. can be accessed here.

Regards,

Tenneth

What's the silver lining?

I've yet to see a successful one that did. Usually they let you play uninterrupted for the first 30 days to get people interested and hooked, then require a subscription.

Unfortunately, back when I pre-ordered, there was no mention that a subscription would be required to receive the free playing time, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the DDE.

Anyway, what is done is done. EA and Bioware may lose quite a few potential customers to this, though.

Well as every MMO released as P2P has had this model it wasn't such a surprise that EA would do the same.

It's more of a crock for people who don't have access to credit cards. Really though if your funds are that tight perhaps you should rethink buying a game with a monthly subscription?

You enter your credit card info for next months subscription. They actually do NOT charge you 15 bucks. I subscribed last night and was charged $1. (Test funds.)

You definitely need to subscribe via game card or credit card to be able to play once SWTOR goes live... according to the FAQ.

Again, I was only charged one dollar as a test funds I guess. I was not charged $15 and I won't be charged $15 until the next subscription period since the game itself came with a 30 day subscription.

Just letting you all know what happened when I did it.

You enter your credit card info for next months subscription. They actually do NOT charge you 15 bucks. I subscribed last night and was charged $1. (Test funds.)

You definitely need to subscribe via game card or credit card to be able to play once SWTOR goes live... according to the FAQ.

Again, I was only charged one dollar as a test funds I guess. I was not charged $15 and I won't be charged $15 until the next subscription period since the game itself came with a 30 day subscription.

Just letting you all know what happened when I did it.

Thank you for clearing this up, I can now show this post to my dad. I was forced to use his credit card, since I no longer have my own. I however didn't have to go through this with Warcraft. I however used the 60 day trial cards, the store who sold me this game said the game cards will not be in until mid January, when that time comes I will use the card. But seriously thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Well as every MMO released as P2P has had this model it wasn't such a surprise that EA would do the same.

City of Heroes didn't. I bought the Good vs Evil edition, installed, made an account, and played for a month. Didn't need to pay for a card, or enter CC info till the month was up, which is the way it should be done, instead of, "Sure, you get a free month, but only after you spend at least another $15 on a game that you might decide not to play after that month."

City of Heroes didn't. I bought the Good vs Evil edition, installed, made an account, and played for a month. Didn't need to pay for a card, or enter CC info till the month was up, which is the way it should be done, instead of, "Sure, you get a free month, but only after you spend at least another $15 on a game that you might decide not to play after that month."

If they did indeed do this, which I'm not sure I believe, then they are the exception not the norm. Also you only actually have to pay money if you don't have access to a credit card or a pre-paid credit card or paypal. Then you'd have to buy a gamecard but otherwise you can cancel before you're charged anything.

Why are we bringing this up again?

And since the only way to avoid paying for your "free" 30 days is to have a credit card, then cancel on or before the last day(hoping you don't have any power outages or loss of internet connection for some reason), so that it won't be charged. If someone's 30 days are up, they pay for the second month(with a timecard), then, at the end of that month, when their time's up, they lose access to the game. Why can't that be done with the "free" 30 days? Only way it makes any sense is as a way to bring in more money from timecard sales, since credit card charges can be canceled.

Edit: Not sure why it's brought up again so I say we drop it.

Edited by HuYuMi

• 4 weeks later...

listen, if u were able to buy a computer that run starwars, wht interneth and everything,i dont get why 75$ should be a problem, if u disagree wht the price, go play some facebook's games....