Allow Preferred and F2P members POST on forum.

PropLord

I was a Subscriber a while back and when I got back on I was simply preferred. Played around for about a month and I started crashing every couple minutes. When I got on the forum to post on an existing bug thread, I didn't have access... because I wasn't a subscriber? I mean. What the heck!? Who else does that?

I'm not even talking about creating new threads. Just simply posting on an existing thread. Asking a question. Since when did asking questions become "Pay to Play"?

So. Since I'm subscribed for the moment, I'm putting forth my suggestion.

I was following several threads concerning my constant crashing issue and mine was slightly different. So I tried to pose a question. To which, I was denied. That's just bad customer service. Specifically for those of us who put money towards the game.

This is some basic stuff here. Posting. If the people playing the game can't even ask questions... there's something seriously wrong. Several other big thread websites such as The RPF have fail-safes for spammers, such as post limits per day, or needing to have an account for X amount of time before posting. Surely something similar can be implemented.

I agree btw, at least for Preferred. I would also be fine with some in-game progress gating access (get a character to 50 for example, or Legacy 25)

Something like this would be fine by me, too. Just giving it to any and every f2p seems like a bad idea, though, since people could just create new accounts to troll the forum.

I was a Subscriber a while back and when I got back on I was simply preferred. Played around for about a month and I started crashing every couple minutes. When I got on the forum to post on an existing bug thread, I didn't have access... because I wasn't a subscriber? I mean. What the heck!? Who else does that?

I'm not even talking about creating new threads. Just simply posting on an existing thread. Asking a question. Since when did asking questions become "Pay to Play"?

So. Since I'm subscribed for the moment, I'm putting forth my suggestion.

I was following several threads concerning my constant crashing issue and mine was slightly different. So I tried to pose a question. To which, I was denied. That's just bad customer service. Specifically for those of us who put money towards the game.

By your own admission you were NOT subscribed, so I have to ask, what money were you putting towards the game? Or do you think that having paid some money toward the game at some point in time entitles you to post on the forums forever?

This is some basic stuff here. Posting. If the people playing the game can't even ask questions... there's something seriously wrong. Several other big thread websites such as The RPF have fail-safes for spammers, such as post limits per day, or needing to have an account for X amount of time before posting. Surely something similar can be implemented.

You subscribed and actually put money towards the game and you can post. Imagine that. Crazy how that works, right?

Something like this would be fine by me, too. Just giving it to any and every f2p seems like a bad idea, though, since people could just create new accounts to troll the forum.

Yeah, that's the one argument to the restriction I can agree with. Although this place desperately needs some fresh blood.

With an in-game requirement that takes some time to complete though, you filter out most spammers, trolls and such. And of course you do your best to expose a potential sub to what you've got to offer. And by restricting it to preferred, you've ensured some purchase was made. How many forums charge money to post? I only know of somethingawful (if that's still a thing) and that was just a $10 flat fee. That's enough to just waste time on a forum lol.

With my income after bills I don't have that much leftover money. I only sub when I need new expansions, because I'm used to the restrictions.

Forum posting would definitely be a lot easier than googling answers for stuff like "Lokin KotFE guide" or "SWTOR crashing." Even if I have some kind of cap, knowing that I can post here if I need to would be nice.

I agree with gating access behind gameplay. That seems like a good idea. But maybe Preferred Status could do it by default, albeit with a limit on total posts per day, before they reach the in-game requirements. It would be another reason to spend money for people... even if it's ultimately not important.

The time sink wouldn't be CS answering questions, because a lot of us have a much more current and complete knowledge of the game than a lot of CS. Which could be a gate to posting elsewhere, because answering questions correctly saves CS the bother, especially if they're complicated. Except I don't think BW has a program smart enough to tell when people play stupid games with that.

No, their time sink would be in dealing with gold spammers and trolls.

Also bug reports should be open because we end up finding things like free companion gifts, and you don't want to make things like that annoying to report.

I can't believe I'm getting crass for wanting people to be able to ask questions. lol. So sad...

Yes. I spent money in the past, and I should at the very least be able to ask a question.

We all know how great the customer service response time is. And it's so easy to find out what you want from reddit and google searches. (sarcasm).

Which is why, I think people, specifically those who put money into the game, should at the very least be able to make posts.

Edited by PropLord
typo

I can't believe I'm getting crass for wanting people to be able to ask questions. lol. So sad...

Yes. I spent money in the past, and I should at the very least be able to ask a question.

We all know how great the customer service response time is. And it's so easy to find out what you want from reddit and google searches. (sarcasm).

Which is why, I think people, specifically those who put money into the game, should at the very least be able to make posts.

This is what this place is.

In truth, those excluded aren't missing much.

That would be my concern, too. I'd gate it to finishing a class story and getting to Legacy level 25, since it's easy to level up a character to 50 these days.

But I am not sure why it is 'elitist' to say that those who actually pay to keep the lights on in this game should get more than those who do not.

As far as I know, the current SWTOR Customer Support/Help website, EA Answers HQ, is open for non-subscribers:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/ct-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

EDIT: Ooops, just noticed that Ahrngrim beat me to it, by a couple of days at least. Sorry for the duplication.

Edited by Trynitris

Actually this thread is a lot more civil than the time I broached this subject a couple years back... If I remember a mod eventually came in and deleted a post or two as some flame-wielder self-immolated... A lot of knee-jerking at the time.

Honestly I'm not sure what the state of those answers.ea.com forums are or how actively BW employees actually utilize the subreddit. Things have changed some in the past 2 years and I've been away a lot of the time despite leaving sub on (always meaning to play more, and rarely doing so).

That ignorance disclaimed, I am generally speaking in favor of methods (while guarding against easy spam access in some fashion e.g. progression gates/etc) allow people to have access to easily report bugs/glitches/exploits/etc, and to offer suggestions, especially in relation to what would make it worthwhile for them to pay/sub/resub. It here are avenues for those things that are actually paid attention to then it matters a lot less if it is here or not, outside of maybe the fact that any walled environment allows for a rise in echo chamber type thinking for that group (complete nonsense passing as "right" just because people get used to hearing it).

That said seeing as nothing changed about the forum privileges in the 2+ years since I brought this up myself... wouldn't hold my breath on it. I just hope someone actually skim-reads this stuff at all...

I don't have a problem posting in the bugs or the help but even I as a subscriber go here at times

https://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/ct-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

but as far as the entire forums I don't thinks so. Yea we already have problems and it might not get worse but then again it might as I watch general chat and considering all the trolls there and I imagine there is a mixture of all types I am not sure it is worth taking the chance and allowing them to post everywhere. As I said bugs or help yes, the rest no.