get rewarded for open world pvp

ShaneDavies

i suggest that there be more rewards for open world pvp, like if you go in a pvp instance you get xp at an accelerated rate or if you deafet someone in open world pvp you get extra xp or cxp if level 70. on the other hand to help with low levels getting ganked give them more xp and some sort of gear piece to ease the heartache of getting killed if they get killed by someone with a higher level.

i think this will get more people wanting to populate the pvp instances and open world pvp can be a thing once more and everyone can be happy.

Edited by ShaneDavies

Why do you think "more OWPvP" leads to "everyone happy"?

If you give rewards for winning fights, people will wintrade. If you give rewards for losing fights, well, that's pretty weird anyway, and people will losetrade. If there aren't any rewards, nobody will do it except the dedicated gankers.

If you give more XP for questing in the PvP instances, the gankers will come in swarms to take advantage of anyone willing to take the chance.

If you want to prevent ganking, well you could try the Asee-Teph solution. Asee-Teph is the first OWPvP area in Allods Online, nominally for characters at level 21-25. Such characters can buy an item in the zone that allows them to instakill enemy characters of level 30 or above, a sort of reverse gank.

Overall, I would say that the emptiness of the PvP instance is a good enough indication of what people think of OWPvP as an idea. Let it go.

I take it you used to get ganked and cry your eyes out about it?

Not noticeably. For either part of that. It's frustrating more than upsetting, mostly because I'm not playing this game to fight other players.

In Allods, I had a grand total of five OWPvP kills, all against people of a similar level to my own, and all opportunistic. (Like when I'm in a camp belonging to my faction and someone on the other faction comes in to the camp for a quest. It didn't end well for that other player.) But I also got reverse-ganked one time. I was running through Asee-Teph at level 36 or 37, and someone had clearly bought the Reverse-Gank weapon, because all of a sudden, bang, I was dead.

And one time I was, for no particular reason, running in a level 33-35 zone at level 47, and someone on the other faction who was, I think, level 34, pulled a "War Banner" (evil item that drops from killed NPCs in shared zones and lets you attack enemy-faction people even if their PvP flag is OFF, but forces your PvP flag on for an hour). I mounted up and charged him to protect my people. He saw me coming and ran like [REDACTED]. That was fun.

But of course I *also* have one OWPvP kill in SWTOR. On Alderaan when I was level 32 (some time in late 2013), and I was down at the Panteer castle end of the Glarus valley, crossing the bridges, and fighting the guards. A red-name SIth decided to complicate my life, his level 29 to my 32.

To this day I worry that he was trying to help this noobish Commando fight the guards, and I killed him for it.

But those examples are what OWPvP *should* be, not gangs of gankers preying on low-level solos. The way you talk about it, it's clear you don't agree with that analysis.

Since all I really have left to do in this game are all of the old PvP achievements I'd love to see them re-work OWPvP.

I don't want more XP since it's way too fast to level anyway, but region-specific reputation and gear would be great.

If lag is an issue then put Outlaw's Den into its own instance that doesn't include the entire planet, same for other planets, so there'd be a "real" planet-wide PvP instance like now, but also a smaller PvP-only region.

However, OP's attitude makes me think they're the ones who miss ganking low-level players and are just trying to have an excuse to try and get back to that somehow, but the bottom line is that I wish they'd re-work OWPvP.

However, OP's attitude makes me think they're the ones who miss ganking low-level players and are just trying to have an excuse to try and get back to that somehow, but the bottom line is that I wish they'd re-work OWPvP.

Given the number of OP's posts on this thread that got deleted, I think we won't be hearing from him for a few days.

I have no particular objection to the existence of OWPvP, although I'm not a big fan of it myself. It's clear, however, that the current structure of the game offers *huge* incentives not to do it, even for people who like participating on an equal-terms "opportunistic murder" basis like my various OWPvP kills in Allods and SWTOR.

Quite how they could change it to mitigate the disincentives isn't clear to me, but it is clear that performance issues aren't at the root of the problem.

Perhaps a mode like GW2's World v World? Yes, of course, they'd have to resolve the performance issues, but WvW can be fun, and the presence of significant numbers of allies helps a lot to mitigate the gank-gangs problem.

I just think swtor have abandoned owpvp completely which I think is sad because I know al lot of people who like doing it. Plus there ain't a lot to do after you get full geared wz get boring and I don't really do operations so wandering worlds hoping to find people to fight is the only thing I find fun. That don't mean I try to gank low levels but if i did whtas so bad about it after all it's a game and if people do that and find it fun so be it. I personally used to love the fact that when on PvP worlds as a low level myself that at any given time someone could come up and kill me , it added to the excitement.

Doesn't level sync prevent most ganking of lower leveled players? maybe in PVP instance you should be brought down to the lower end of the planet's level, not the high end.

Higher level players still retain their higher level skills, and some stats on gear are not affected by level sync.

A higher level character will almost always have an advantage over a lower level character, no matter the level to which they are sync'd.

A higher level character will almost always have an advantage over a lower level character, no matter the level to which they are sync'd.

This, with a caveat. If we are talking about a level 53 and a level 52 on Corellia or Ilum, the level *52* has the advantage because the level 53's synced stats are lower than the not-yet-synced stats of the level 52, while the unaffected stats aren't significantly more.

But a 70-synced-to-26 versus a true-26 on Nar Shaddaa will give the 70 a significant advantage.

That don't mean I try to gank low levels but if i did whtas so bad about it after all it's a game and if people do that and find it fun so be it.

Because it isn't fun to go adventuring and finding that every time you turn a corner, there's another idiot or gang of idiots come to whack you for taking a walk. (There have been stories of what amounts to harassment by gankers, where the ganker spawncamps the gankee's "natural" med-centre spawn point.)

And yes, of course, if we don't want to be chain-ganked like that, we should switch to a no-PvP environment, but that switch is why the PvP servers were so empty and the current PvP instances *are* so empty.

(And if this is starting to sound like "dudes, you did this to yourselves", well, that's because that is exactly what I'm saying. If you make the OWPvP environments toxic - chain-ganking is toxic, for example, while near-parity opportunism is not - you shouldn't be surprised when people go away from them and don't come back.)

Personally I've given up on swtor anyway the game for me just is not fun anymore I find wow a better game entirely

For the next year or so, anyway, until they implement their new PVE/PVP separation, which will likely remove the the option to gank lowbies and the 40 to 1 massive faction imbalances.

They didn't take away open world PvP. There's still an entire PvP instance you can run around in. The only difference now is that people aren't forced to participate in that instance or in PvP if they don't want to. If players aren't interested in engaging in that kind of play, they obviously don't find it fun. It is what it is.

They didn't take away open world PvP. There's still an entire PvP instance you can run around in. The only difference now is that people aren't forced to participate in that instance or in PvP if they don't want to. If players aren't interested in engaging in that kind of play, they obviously don't find it fun. It is what it is.

The PvP servers were flourishing before they brought in the pvp instances so yes they did take it away.

Edited by ShaneDavies

The PvP servers were flourishing before they brought in the pvp instances so yes they did take it away.

A PvP instance is open world PvP. They took nothing away from you. People did not want to be on the PvP servers and they don't want to be in the instances.

So what you're really asking for with "open world" is forced PvP where you get to gank people who don't want to participate, isn't it?

A PvP instance is open world PvP. They took nothing away from you. People did not want to be on the PvP servers and they don't want to be in the instances.

So what you're really asking for with "open world" is forced PvP where you get to gank people who don't want to participate, isn't it?

no what I'm asking for is more incentive for players to go on the PvP instances.

If players didn't want to PvP then why did they join up on a PvP server? There is no one on the PvP instances because it's so easy to just switch instances. They should just change the game to a pve rpg because that's all the devs care about come on 1 new PvP war zone in like 2 years? Shows they care little about PvP as a whole.

no what I'm asking for is more incentive for players to go on the PvP instances.

If players didn't want to PvP then why did they join up on a PvP server? There is no one on the PvP instances because it's so easy to just switch instances. They should just change the game to a pve rpg because that's all the devs care about come on 1 new PvP war zone in like 2 years? Shows they care little about PvP as a whole.

From what I've heard, the PvP servers were the first to die, so people didn't want to be on those servers, actually.

The PvP incentives as I understand it are actually better than what one was getting for PvE, in that you could get rewards simply for showing up, win or lose. People will turn down companions (Pierce, etc) instead of doing PvP. If people aren't biting for that perhaps it's just time to accept this isn't something a large population in the game enjoys outside of what's already offered.

From what I've heard, the PvP servers were the first to die, so people didn't want to be on those servers, actually.

The PvP incentives as I understand it are actually better than what one was getting for PvE, in that you could get rewards simply for showing up, win or lose. People will turn down companions (Pierce, etc) instead of doing PvP. If people aren't biting for that perhaps it's just time to accept this isn't something a large population in the game enjoys outside of what's already offered.

I have accepted it that's why I have stopped playing the game and playing wow atm it's way more fun but they are doing the sane to that game soon so I'll wait to see how that turns out.

But one thing is certain I won't be coming back to swtor as it is now.

Anyone interested in PVP or WPVP can switch to the PVP instances, especially since it is so easy to just "switch instances".

If people are just avoiding the PVP instances, doesn't that tell you that they are not interested in WPVP (or the gankfest that WPVP so often is)?

This whole "add incentives to PVP" seems to be nothing more than a cry of "I can't gank anyone anymore. BW, you OWE it to me to provide me gank fodder, using whatever means you have to use."

Anyone interested in PVP or WPVP can switch to the PVP instances, especially since it is so easy to just "switch instances".

If people are just avoiding the PVP instances, doesn't that tell you that they are not interested in WPVP (or the gankfest that WPVP so often is)?

This whole "add incentives to PVP" seems to be nothing more than a cry of "I can't gank anyone anymore. BW, you OWE it to me to provide me gank fodder, using whatever means you have to use."

And this looks like to me " oh no bioware please dont give incentives for owpvp I cried and cried until my little lungs gave out and stamped my feet those nasty PvP players will kill me again".

And this looks like to me " oh no bioware please dont give incentives for owpvp I cried and cried until my little lungs gave out and stamped my feet those nasty PvP players will kill me again".

I'm not the one "suggesting" that BW give me more gank fodder.

You should probably go enjoy your ganking in WoW while you still can.

It will be very interesting to see how deserted those PVP shards are after WoW implements their version of a PVP/PVE toggle.

Edited by Ratajack

I'm not the one "suggesting" that BW give me more gank fodder.

You should probably go enjoy your ganking in WoW while you still can.

It will be very interesting to see how deserted those PVP shards are after WoW implements their version of a PVP/PVE toggle.

All I've asked for is more incentive to do owpvp quit ************ and whining.