Best and Worst of 2014 SWTOR edition

Rafaman

Ok... so it seems all the "gaming" sites are doing this as usual, so... I guess we should too. :) Only on rule. Try to pick one Best and one Worst because there are a laundry list of things if you really get analytical about it.

So for me:

The Best: Ravagers and Temple of Sacrifice.

-We have been starving for new content and SoR fit the bill. But it was a bit short all things considered. And yet the new Ops will keep me and my guild going for a good while. It feels great to get in there and fail. lol. After which we figure things out and try again until we succeed. No one is heavily over geared and the focus is once again on team work. Despite the bugs this is the best thing this year for me and my guild.

The Worst: Oh... so.. I have to pick one. Robe Clipping.

-Now, yes in the overall scheme of things it is not a huge deal but it bothers the hell out of me. I get a lovely new speeder. It looks great. All is right in the world until I pan around for a side view or a view from the back and see that damn robe mud flap clipping through the bottom of the speeder and almost touching the floor. It is the worst for me because I usually will either not use my new shiny speeder or... have to swap out my armor. Why? Because it is annoying to see that damn mud flap.

There you go. Those are mine. There are other things I could have chosen but that stands out in my mind today.

Edited by Rafaman

I think having a mudflap on your speeder is a great idea as it keeps debris from hitting the players behind you:p.

Now back on topic, I think the best thing is getting some Massassi to fight, although I think they are way too easy for ranged classes to kill, though I don't know about melee classes.

The worst thing has to be the ability delay.

Best: The release of SoR in 2014 still.

Worse: How paltry SoR turned out to be, content-wise, stripped to the bone of features such as heroics, fully voiced quests, inability to progress through the story with other people, too many silent companions, no Jeff Bennett, etc etc.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

BEST: New Content before end of 2014

WORST: Bugged New Content topped off with a cherry exploit on top and 16m SM Loot model broken.

• Lurker instant cast if anyone near tank
  • 16m Lurker bug - instant 8 dead in perfect form
  • Coratanni reset bug - keep redoing
  • 16m loot = 8m loot+1 (HM 16m doesn't have this model, why does SM 16m?)
  • Lost achievements (Rishi Datacrons, Nar Shadda Gambling, etc)
  • LAG, ability LAG, even LAG on other planets
  • Walkers w/10 sec enrage window on SM content
  • Archaeology Nodes being 60-70% useless color crystals instead of Power Crystals/Artifact Nodes
  • Bulo fight with 3 Lifters targeting one person in 16m (why not 2-3 people?)

Best: new (all be it) minor class story; unlike ROTHC which i despise its nice for them to be back (though maybe 2 if u have 2 planets next time Bioware)

Worst: Strongholds; i was looking forward to this most of all, but the items are hard to come by the npc's are limited the hologram companions is a awful idea, just a real let down for me.

BEST: New Content before end of 2014

WORST: Bugged New Content topped off with a cherry exploit on top and 16m SM Loot model broken.

• Lurker instant cast if anyone near tank
  • 16m Lurker bug - instant 8 dead in perfect form
  • Coratanni reset bug - keep redoing
  • 16m loot = 8m loot+1 (HM 16m doesn't have this model, why does SM 16m?)
  • Lost achievements (Rishi Datacrons, Nar Shadda Gambling, etc)
  • LAG, ability LAG, even LAG on other planets
  • Walkers w/10 sec enrage window on SM content
  • Archaeology Nodes being 60-70% useless color crystals instead of Power Crystals/Artifact Nodes
  • Bulo fight with 3 Lifters targeting one person in 16m (why not 2-3 people?)

The Coratanni bug almost made my worst. Very frustrating when you are so close to finishing the run.

Here's mine

Best: Shadow of Revan, using feign death to trick people into PVP, and strongholds!

Worst: The lag, but it honestly wasn't a huge issue for me, and the removal of 8 man operations from group finder

Edited by Philip_V

Best: SOR

Despite the bugs (which were to be expected; if you did not expect them shame on you), I really like what they did. As others have said here the story is short, but is that REALLY a bad thing? I did Makeb once on each faction and leveled the rest of my characters through alternative means because I dreaded the slog that Makeb was. OTOH, I have done SOR three times on Pub already and have started my first imp run. My point is that the story while short is engaging and worthy of replay.

Worst: Conquests and crafting

The fact that conquests are dominated by crafting. The intent was to get players to engage in older content in a new way/for difference reasons. The implementation though made the acquisition of points through crafting too easy. And this is coming from a "hardcore" crafter.

Edited by psandak

Please try to take this seriously and not just complain about temporary bugs

Best - Two new operations + 2 new flashpoints as part of the expansion compared extremely favorably against 2.0

Worst - conquests are both poorly designed in terms of what you do to earn points and poorly incentivized in that the rewards don't resonate with the majority of guild members.

Best: Kissing Theron Shan with a character of my choice, no ridiculous artificial restraints.

Worst: Clothing that I want to use still being released with ridiculous artificial restraints preventing me from equipping it on the character or companion of my choice. Yes, this is my pet peeve. It's just as stupid as Ubisoft insisting that females are too hard to animate.

Please try to take this seriously and not just complain about temporary bugs.

That was the worst item I've seen all year. Sorry, but it's true. Even with a closed Beta PTS QA we have a very large assortment of problems that have serious impact on the entire game. Why run a 16m SM when loot is equal to 8m SM? Stuff like that is very mind boggling and just the worst I've seen this game that usually has things pretty well balanced out. It usually passes the red face test and this time it just doesn't.

So... I stick by my "Most Bugged Content" to date listed as the worst for SWTOR 2014. The game has done great things, but this rush out the door by year end I think bit them in the behind. I'm sure most will get resolved, but will take some time. Time to resolve I suspect will be the determining factor if they rise to the occasion and keep customers or they start to bleed subs as most previous players have came/saw and said "I'm leaving again..." already at end of SUB (Likely 60 day).

Best : changes in combat design, although incomplete.

Design is not making sense entirely at the moment, but things are on the right track.

Worst : Conquest and Strongholds.

- Competing against his own people, will end being disastrous. Now that some guilds have conquered every destination, what do they do ? Do they stop conquering, sacrificing rewards or they keep conquering and be an unnecessary hindrance for even their allies ? This shouldn't even be a question to ask. They should keep on doing their stuff, earning their rewards, without being an enemy to their own kind.

- The importance of strongholds bonus is borderline acceptable. The way to have it is simply unacceptable. Forcing people to fill a stronghold to the max while one may like it while it is at 60% is nothing but a shame.

Best:

- Strongholds

- Solo-mode FP for storytelling.

- Disciplines system.

- 12XP for storybuffs like myself!

Worst:

- The ability delay since 3.0

- Still no cosmetic appearance system like every other haf decent mmo has.

- Branch-type menus still opening unfolded rather than collapsed (collections menu, crafting screens)

Here's to improvements in 2015! :)

Edited by wolfyde

Best: New Content

-Strongholds

-Chapter 5

-New Operations

-New Flashpoints

Worst:

-Lord Scourge's silence

-Silence of many other companions (Scourge deserved special recognition given his relation to the major players of SoR)

-Chapter 5 is identical for both factions. I could have understood being like Makeb, where it was the same for the classes within the faction, but to have it be identical for all 8 classes across both factions is laziness.

-All new flashpoints were tactical. Even worse, it was essentially confirmed that all SM flashpoints from here on out would be tactical.

-12x XP, not only in the quality of players it produced at endgame, but in the relentless QQ that has spawned on the forums on both sides of this issue since it left.

-Lack of communication from Musco and other members of the Dev team on multiple issues, most notably the flawed rollout of SoR, and the numerous bugs that have yet to even be acknowledged, let alone fixed. (In summation, I'm okay with bugs, they happen. What I'm not okay with is the silence regarding the bugs. At least acknowledge that they exist.)

- The scrapping of the new ship type for GSF.

-Season 2 PVP rewards.

Best: I have to say Shadow of Revan has been amazing. My favorite part? The Discipline System, hands-down.

Worst: I think the worst part of this game is the continuing impact that EAs business model/practices has on this game. It's like Electronic Arts keeps feeding this beast just for the purposes of keeping it alive so they can torture the life out of it.

Best: legacy storage and strongholds. I can now reasonably level 8 characters at once...well, maybe reasonably is the wrong word, but it can be done now. They have each crafting type and some are just gatherers and they all share from 1 crafting storage bin. It's made leveling on my new server much more fun.

Worst: I'm not really erudite enough to give a quality one, but I'm very disappointed that sins/shadows were not built around shadow strike and other from stealth saber attacks when everything was changed in 3.0. Now those attacks are barely useful from what I can tell as you need procs for them to be most effective so as a battle opener they are weak. Operative is still fun. :)