Characters legacy as companions.

Supoiter

I don't understand the last part of the suggestion.

There's not much reason why they couldn't use PCs as companions, I think. Just make them generic and require influence like any other companion. They would wear whatever gear was active on last login, or they could just use the body/face customizations and make us dress them up for each character that uses them as a companion. Since there is no companion gear or role specialty anymore, this seems doable.

I would really like this.

Just make each class of character have it's own dialog and yes this could be fun. I know my agent as a companion in rp over site of his Jedi brothers activities would be very interesting indeed. This would also allow factions to showcase the opposing faction characters in a fun and safe way. EXCELLENT idea! Also as a rl father with empty nest syndrome having my daughter's characters as companions, just a heart warming thought. Edited by JaxstonEagle-Eye

There's not much reason why they couldn't use PCs as companions, I think. Just make them generic and require influence like any other companion. They would wear whatever gear was active on last login, or they could just use the body/face customizations and make us dress them up for each character that uses them as a companion. Since there is no companion gear or role specialty anymore, this seems doable.

Guild Wars 1 has this feature. It's called "Mercenary Heroes", and you buy (cash shop) N (up to 8, I think) slots. Your level 20 (max) characters, up to 8 of them, obviously, can register themselves as Mercenary Heroes.

Any character who is in a position to use Heroes (equivalent of companions in SWTOR, roughly) can check out copies of the registered Mercenary Heroes. The MHes have the same gear that the source characters had when they registered. This gear cannot be changed(1), but can have armour mods inserted, just like story Heroes.

(1) There is some (almost safe) trickery you can do by logging on to the character who registered, unregistering and reregistering, but it is exactly that, trickery, and is not guaranteed to work. If you unregister an MH, then log in as a character who uses that MH, the character loses the MH, along with any weapon you installed.

It makes life immensely easier for characters who start in Nightfall, since they can use Heroes quite early on, and can visit the Mercenary Hero registrar NPC at typically around level 5 onwards. All MHes are level 20. The noob zones around the city of Kamadan have no monsters above level 10.

Please not the gear at last login! Some of my characters wear awful looking gear under their costume designer. Face/Body customization choices with whatever we dress them in would be great (they could start off wearing that set all characters wear of their class back at Level 1 by default, or nothing but undergarment shorts and tank top and have the slots be empty).

And then have them with those dialogue choices we hear so often, like:

"Violence and mayhem await!"

"It's so hard being humble when I'm so awesome."

"FOR THE REPUBLIC!" or, alternativly on FemTrooper, "I should go."

"My trigger finger's itching."

"You underestimate the value of intelligence."

I fully agree with this idea, and legacy companions should definetly be a feature in the new expansion.

I think that legacy companions should somehow reflect the efforts and credits spent on a given character.

For instance, only characters in your legacy that reach lvl 65 should be elegible to be unlocked as legacy companions. Unlocked chars should keep their gear and skins set on that char. Gear and skins of a legacy companion should change only if changed on the main character account.

Affection between legacy chars should be gained as a reward for missions that two of these characters accomplish toghether, rather than through gifts or conversations.

Edited by AntonioRatti

And then have them with those dialogue choices we hear so often, like:

"Violence and mayhem await!"

"Murder and mayhem await!"

And you forgot the other great one from the SI:

"Show me where the fun is!"

(Noteworthy: for the SI, "fun" means "murder and mayhem", obviously.)

I fully agree with this idea, and legacy companions should definetly be a feature in the new expansion.

I think that legacy companions should somehow reflect the efforts and credits spent on a given character.

For instance, only characters in your legacy that reach lvl 65 should be elegible to be unlocked as legacy companions. Unlocked chars should keep their gear and skins set on that char. Gear and skins of a legacy companion should change only if changed on the main character account.

Affection between legacy chars should be gained as a reward for missions that two of these characters accomplish toghether, rather than through gifts or conversations.

I didn't understand what the OP meant until now after I read other comments within this forum topic. I think it's a great idea! This needs to be done soon! OH SNAP! I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING! This must be the new group content that Bioware was talking about! They said it was gonna be released or mentioned before the end of this year.

Unlocked chars should keep their gear and skins set on that char. Gear and skins of a legacy companion should change only if changed on the main character account.

Nah.

Come in starter gear (or one time snapshot of current gear) and then you can dress them however you like. And affection should be gained the same way as any other companion. If they want to get fancy they could pre-set companion preferences when you get them so if they're based of a dark side character they'll approve of dark side decisions and vice versa. Gifts hierarchy should just be a standard/per class affair, perhaps influenced by some general class story factors (for example SI was a slave so SI companion might like (or love) luxury, with their favorite being cultural artifact since so much of their story is around finding artifacts)

"Murder and mayhem await!"

And you forgot the other great one from the SI:

"Show me where the fun is!"

(Noteworthy: for the SI, "fun" means "murder and mayhem", obviously.)

That's what it was (not on any of my SIs ATM). I knew I had the quote wrong, but was really close.

Nah.

Come in starter gear (or one time snapshot of current gear) and then you can dress them however you like. And affection should be gained the same way as any other companion. If they want to get fancy they could pre-set companion preferences when you get them so if they're based of a dark side character they'll approve of dark side decisions and vice versa. Gifts hierarchy should just be a standard/per class affair, perhaps influenced by some general class story factors (for example SI was a slave so SI companion might like (or love) luxury, with their favorite being cultural artifact since so much of their story is around finding artifacts)

So like, without listing specific love/like/favorite stuff, just what categories might work:

Trooper: Republic Stuff, Weapons, Military Stuff, Technology, Courting

BH: Trophies, Weapons, Military Gear, Underworld, Courting

Agent: Imperial stuff, Weapons, Military stuff, Technology, Courting

Smuggler: Underworld, Luxuries, Weapons, Cultural Artifacts, Courting

Inquisitor: Cultural Artifacts, Luxuries, Imperial Stuff, Technology, Courting

Consular: Cultural Artifacts, Republic Stuff, Technology, Courting

Warrior: Imperial stuff, Technology, Military Stuff, Courting

Knight: Republic stuff, Technology, Military Stuff, Courting

Courting was included for all since the legacy "family tree" options include "spouse". I don't remember if I missed any categories.

Edited by LyraineAlei

So like, without listing specific love/like/favorite stuff, just what categories might work:

Courting was included for all since the legacy "family tree" options include "spouse". I don't remember if I missed any categories.

Nice. Nitpicks might be made about the order of things, but yeah, that's the gist of it.;)

I'd argue that you have too many places for Technology in that build tree.

Consular: Love: Cultural, Republic, Artwork. Like: Imperial, Underworld.

Trooper: Love: Republic, Military, Weapon. Like: Trophy, Cultural, Technology

Smuggler: Love: Luxury, Underworld. Like: Weapon, Cultural, Technology

Knight: Love: Republic, Weapon, Cultural. Like: Trophy, Technology

SI: Love: Luxury, Underworld, Cultural. Like: Imperial, Trophy.

SW: Love: Weapon, Trophy, Military. Like: Cultural, Imperial

IA: Love: Imperial, Weapon, Technology. Like: Cultural, luxury, underworld.

BH: Love: Trophy, Underworld, Technology. Like: Cultural, weapon.

(With courting at love for everyone)

I'd argue that you have too many places for Technology in that build tree.

Consular: Love: Cultural, Republic, Artwork. Like: Imperial, Underworld.

Trooper: Love: Republic, Military, Weapon. Like: Trophy, Cultural, Technology

Smuggler: Love: Luxury, Underworld. Like: Weapon, Cultural, Technology

Knight: Love: Republic, Weapon, Cultural. Like: Trophy, Technology

SI: Love: Luxury, Underworld, Cultural. Like: Imperial, Trophy.

SW: Love: Weapon, Trophy, Military. Like: Cultural, Imperial

IA: Love: Imperial, Weapon, Technology. Like: Cultural, luxury, underworld.

BH: Love: Trophy, Underworld, Technology. Like: Cultural, weapon.

(With courting at love for everyone)

I had forgotten about artwork, so I threw in Tech.

I was also thinking something about how Inquisitor and Consular seem to deal a lot with ancient tech, so maybe they would develop an interest in tech. The rest was reasonable or filler.

Honestly, we need an "artifact" companion gift type.

Honestly, we need an "artifact" companion gift type.

Talos, Vette, Scourge, Khem would love those, I bet. Khem and Scourge due to age, Talos because it's sort of his job when he's not following Darth Nox/Occulus/Imperious around, and Vette because she likes old treasures. Can't think of other companions ATM who would also like that, but that category would be awesome and go right with Inquisitor and Consular.