Is Disney Killing Star Wars?

hozjr

I'm just going to say it right now, SW is dying! One of the reasons for this is Disney. It really goes down to making not one, but two separate cannons or making the EU into "Legends". By doing this they sort of cut the head off of the chicken. The chicken is still alive for awhile but it doesn't know what it's doing or where it's going and it's dying. I know they were trying to do something new and fresh and many people were relieved and many more were angered, Disney did what Disney does best give us a generic story where we learn a lesson about teamwork and mega high-five happy ending. I know it sounds like i'm hating on Disney, which i'm not, I go to Disney World every Spring Break. Now Disney has some plot-problems on their hands, including but not limited to:

Why there are only two Sith at once

The origins of the Jedi

The origins of the Sith

The origin of the Jedi Prophecy

How Light sabers were invented

Sidious's origins

Darth Maul's origins

Everything in between episodes 3 and 4 (besides rogue one)

What happened between episodes 6 and 7

Everything before the movies

See what I mean!

I get that you can't make everybody happy but Disney already had a perfectly good story for them. The only thing I can see them doing now is announcing that there is an official separate cannon (Think something on the lines of The Legend of Zelda) by making a movie or very requested Netflix series on something in the EU. Make every event before the movies cannon (Swtor, Darth Bane Trilogy etc.) so things would make more sense and they can just do whatever they want with the after episode 6 cannon, or just scrap everything about this "Force Awakens" story before it goes on to further to stop. But hey that's just theory A GAME THEORY.

Darth Maul...correct me if I'm wrong, but the combination of the Clone Wars and the books coming out on Maul pretty much cover his origin?

The book Star Wars: Plagueis already covers everything about Darth Mauls origins

Disney eradicated previous expanded universe so it can profit off of making it's own expanded universe.

And the answer to the topic's question yes they are killing, or in the very least oversaturating the market with Star Wars.

Movies are being wasted on how the Death Star plans got to Princess Leia and how Han Solo got the Millennium Falcon from Lando (upcoming),

Merchandising is out of control also. Disney Channel has commercials for Star Wars microwave dinners while I saw a R2D2 humidifier at the local Walgreen's drugstore.

Edited by jimmorrisson

Disney eradicated previous expanded universe so it can profit off of making it's own expanded universe.

I think the major reason for nuking the EU was that Disney wanted creative freedom to do whatever they wanted with the movies. The EU had already built a lot of stories around the cast of the original trilogy post-RotJ, that it made it very difficult to carry over into a film without significant changes to the existing canon.

Most Star Wars fans have not delved into the EU. As far as they know, the stories begin and end with the films. You couldn't carry forward a lot of the stories and characters from the post-RotJ EU without confusing most moviegoers.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

You can not fill in the blanks on ever single gap between movies and books. Thats like, lets make a Movie of Bandit before he was Chased by Smokey. What was the little Bandit like as a child movie, then teenager Bandit, the high school years. Then a movie, did he go to collage or just begun his Bandit life running stuff across country?

Then dont for get the gap between Smokey & the Bandit 1 & 2, What happen between that time b4 S&TB 2 came out.

Do we fill those gaps with books, comic books maybe?

You see my point. Some things are best left up to the imagination. Every story does not need a back story.

Nuff said.......

Take Care and Be Well....

Edited by Sith-Viscera

In my opinion star wars has never been in better shape than it is right now. The movies have been great, Rebels is good. The novels have been good to read, definitely better than the old EU novels, those were a disaster. Over saturation is a concern, I will give you that point. However, one movie a year and a cartoon series plus a couple of novels every year are all things the market will support. If they were to add a live action tv show and another movie a year that would be over saturation. Disney is not killing star wars so far I have been very happy with how they have treated it.

What is killing Star Wars is that the fan base is getting older. Star Wars is 40 years old this year. When I was a child in the late 70s, how many 40 year old movies did I watch repeatedly and enjoy? The answer is "not many" The Wizard of Oz is the one movie from that era that I watched repeatedly, but that was only because it was on TV once a year EVERY year.

Doing a Google search of "Movies of the 1930s" there are a LOT of movies from that time that many will recognize but can your average Gen-Xer say they've seen them and watched them repeatedly?

My niece and nephew are the age I was when Star Wars first came out. They've seen all the Star Wars movies, they enjoy them, but not the way *I* watched and enjoyed Star Wars...the way I watched Star Wars, they watch Frozen: over and over and over again. They know every line of Frozen by heart, just like I know every line from Star Wars.

All good things must come to an end eventually.

Considering Disney hasn't made any Star Wars movies or televisions stories yet, I'd say no.

Disney buys successful companies and as long as they remain successful Disney adopts a hands off policy.

Disney owns Pixar - Pixar makes their movies, not Disney.

Disney owns Marvel - Marvel is making their movies, not Disney.

Disney owns Miramax, Dimension Films, Touchstone, etc. They each make their own movies.

Disney owns Lucasfilm - Lucasfilm is making all the Star Wars movies and television series, not Disney.

The decision to wipe the expanded universe was made by the Lucasfilm story group and Kathleen Kennedy.

Disney had nothing to do with it.

Disney didn't make The Force Awakens or Rogue One. They didn't write them, cast them, or come up with the ideas for them.

Lucasfilm is the same company that made the original trilogy and prequel trilogy. It's still the same company and people minus George Lucas.

Blaming Disney is incorrect and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the Star Wars property.

If you don't like the new stories, blame Pablo Hildago, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, Simon Kinberg, and Lucasfilm.

If you're blaming Disney, you're blaming the wrong company. You people need to educate yourselves and wise up if you're going to complain.

Edited by CaulderBenson

The Force Awakens was horrible, this much is true, and the EU wipe killed a lot of stuff which was very good and much loved, but also got rid of a whole load of **** that never should've made SW canon in the first place. Otherwise, since then its been a fairly good job.

And as said above, it isn't Disney.

I'm just going to say it right now, SW is dying!

what are your metrics for "dying"? In terms of box office, toy sales, books, cartoons, it's all really good. Plot holes that haven't been filled yet doesn't constitute dying.

Rule of 2 - they have introduced darth bane in clone wars and books

origins - will likely be expanded much more

lightsabers - they added significantly to lore re. lightsabers and crystals. origins likely to be expanded later

maul and plagueis - upcoming books

Everything in between episodes 3 and 4 - rebels, rogue one, spin off movies

What happened between episodes 6 and 7 - books, episodes 8 and 9

by removing eu they opened up opportunities for more stories. Yes they'll make a lot of money, but they have to... kinda paid a lot for the rights. for the meantime there's some holes, but it's perhaps better than giving the directors little or no creative room. They can pick and choose parts of eu that they like and don't like. And for me episode 7, despite its similarities to episode 4, might've been much more boring if they just had the emperor in another body and a quest to kill the unkillable one.

Is Disney killing Star Wars? In a sense yes but also no.

Disney is simply getting rid of the Star Wars we used to know. Essentially, it's becoming "Star Wars for the next generation".

My issues with the whole Legends/Canon situation lies primarily in the rash decision of "It's EU get rid of it." There were some very good pieces in the EU that did not directly impact the new storyline that were thrown out because they couldn't be bothered to look at it. **Cough Leland Chee easy fix Cough**

Now with that being said, some of the EU was okay, meh and absolute garbage. While everyone immediately jumps to "Oh no, the entire EU sucked, every piece of it." Need I remind some people that this game is LEGENDS canon, even before KOTFE came out. The EU definitely had it's bad spots, namely the era of time directly after ROTJ (with exception to X-Wing series and Thrawn) but other areas flourished, namely Old Republic. To simply discard the EU as a whole because of a period of bad ideas/bad writing during the early to late 1990's shows signs of both personal bias and laziness. Let's not even talk about the fact that Disney hired screen player writers that have actively stated they want to reboot the prequels (Yeah they weren't great but I doubt Disney could do better without coming off the same way Force Awakens= New Hope)

My final issue regarding the Legends vs Canon issue is the behavior of Lucasfilm personnel. Just recently, Pablo Hidalgo took to twitter and actively derided fans who petitioned for an Old Republic Netflix (yes it probably wouldn't have succeeded anyway but you've got to admire their dedication). Since when do business personnel get paid to insult people on social media or maybe I'm missing something?

If that doesn't convince you, let's talk about the infamous Chuck Wendig. Not only has this man bragged about his first book getting New York Times Bestseller (Most books with a Star Wars banner make it) but he has also taken to social media and derided fans (not just EU fans but canon fans as well). I believe this can be described by his comment, "You guys are the ^&*(ing empire I means seriously the &*()ing Empire." Whoooa now completely out of context right? Wrong. This was in response to some more radical fans expressing displeasure with LGBT based characters featured in the book (definitely something worth getting angry about). But the fact of the matter is this: You don't going around cussing out everyone that has a problem with the way you wrote a story, it's just not professional and you should expect some backlash.

But hold the phone.....where was Disney? Did they public decry the unprofessional response that he made? No. Did they threaten to cancel his writing gig after finishing all three Aftermaths? Nope (that's what I would have done and not even from a legends fan perspective, from a business standpoint). One might think that based on this evidence, that Disney actively supports this kind of behavior.

Star Wars is thriving.

The only true measure of the health of the series is how much revenue it generates. TFA and Rogue One both grossed over a billion dollars each.

Some death. There hasn't been a Star Wars film yet that wasn't box office gold.

Not liking the direction the series has taken is not the same thing as "the series is dying."

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I love parts of the old EU, i hate others, just as i like some of the movies better then others.

But let's be honest here, say Lucas himself had decided to create more films, he would never have taken the EU stories into consideration, he would have axed it all and made his own story.

I kind of prefer how it is now, i've read alot of the EU over the last couple of decades, but now under the lucasfilm and disney banner, hopefully there will be a more coherent fleshed out expanded universe, while i hope they will soon move away from the inbetween EP 3 and 4 stories.

An animated show set after Return of the Jedi would be lovely.

And personally i really enjoyed Force Awakens, and i loved Rogue One. I am....sceptical...towards the Han Solo film, i feel mabye a more interesting story could have been told, but that might be because of new actors playing the characters i grew up with, i'll reserve final judgement until i have actually seen the films.

And the answer to the topic's question yes they are killing, or in the very least oversaturating the market with Star Wars.

Movies are being wasted on how the Death Star plans got to Princess Leia and how Han Solo got the Millennium Falcon from Lando (upcoming),

Merchandising is out of control also. Disney Channel has commercials for Star Wars microwave dinners while I saw a R2D2 humidifier at the local Walgreen's drugstore.

No it was because there were hundreds of books that a person had to read to keep up. If you missed a book the way it was you we behind

With Rebels tv show being canon they are actually answering some of the questions th OP brought up

If you worry that Disney is killing SW, just wait until Episode VIII, where we will learn that Anakin actually was not the chosen one, or the prophesied one. That was a mistake the Jedi made. Anakin was just some dude. Luke redeeming his father was nice on a personal level for Luke, but really meant nothing in the broad scheme of galactic importance. Instead, Rey is actually the chosen one.

Actually Disney is just pumping the money to Lucasfilms who is doing all the star wars stuff now like Rebels, etc.

You're literally getting pissed at Disney for giving a lot of money to Lucasfilms and then getting the hell out of the way. And frankly Lucasfilms wanted to do a lot of this stuff for a while, now they actually have the chance.

Far as killing off the EU. Much as I may hate it, I do agree, it gives them a lot more freedom to move around and do what they want.

If you worry that Disney is killing SW, just wait until Episode VIII, where we will learn that Anakin actually was not the chosen one, or the prophesied one. That was a mistake the Jedi made. Anakin was just some dude. Luke redeeming his father was nice on a personal level for Luke, but really meant nothing in the broad scheme of galactic importance. Instead, Rey is actually the chosen one.

neither of them can be the chosen one for to have balance you need both light and dark to exist

otherwise its unbalanced