Please help. New player facing old bug. Any hope?

Sanctus_Michael

Hello all.

I started a new character for the sole purpose to marry Lana.

I paid the $20 to boost my character to 70, played through the class story, Illum, hutt, forged alliance, revan, ziost, then Kotfe. I'm on the first chapter of Kotet.

I did the cantina in FE with Lana to speak to her privately. Up to this point I've been able to romance throughout forged alliance and revan. Even in the first part of FE. Now nothing. I didn't get the romance option in the cantina, nor did I know I was to get one.

I had to reinstall the game while playing KoTFE. 3 times. Long story.

Am I screwed and wasted $20?

Edited by Sanctus_Michael

In the cantina scene (KotFE chapter IX), did you get the full atrocity wheel?

1. I want to speak with one of you.

2. [Flirt] I want to speak with one of you.

(For some classes, the line is "I want to see one of you.")

The correct option to pick here is 2. It really means, "I want to shack up with one of you. Let's talk first."

If you took option 1 (having fallen into the trap of thinking that option 2 means "I want speak with one of you right after I flirt with Theron"), then you are, indeed screwed.

If option 2 was not even listed, you are, likewise, screwed. (Indeed, that's the situation where there's a bug. The full two option wheel is "just" atrocious design.)

The question of whether the 2000 CCs were *wasted* is one that *I* can't answer.

In the cantina scene (KotFE chapter IX), did you get the full atrocity wheel?

1. I want to speak with one of you.

2. [Flirt] I want to speak with one of you.

(For some classes, the line is "I want to see one of you.")

The correct option to pick here is 2. It really means, "I want to shack up with one of you. Let's talk first."

If you took option 1 (having fallen into the trap of thinking that option 2 means "I want speak with one of you right after I flirt with Theron"), then you are, indeed screwed.

If option 2 was not even listed, you are, likewise, screwed. (Indeed, that's the situation where there's a bug. The full two option wheel is "just" atrocious design.)

The question of whether the 2000 CCs were *wasted* is one that *I* can't answer.

I got the option to speak with one of them, I chose to speak with Lana. We walk off to an alcove within the cantina. The second speech option during that conversation I got as the first option "Only with your help". By watching YouTube clips I discovered some people had as their first option "[flirt] It isn't important"

I wish I knew what to look for at the time and I could have ESC the conversation and researched more.

When I did start to suspect something was wrong (chapter one of KoTET) and researched via YouTube clips, I discovered late what had happened. I also discovered this was a bug from around 2016. It's 2019 now. Seriously? They obviously have no intention on fixing it.

I got the option to speak with one of them, I chose to speak with Lana. We walk off to an alcove within the cantina. The second speech option during that conversation I got as the first option "Only with your help". By watching YouTube clips I discovered some people had as their first option "[flirt] It isn't important"

If, in the wheel before choosing Lana, you only had one option (as noted in my post), you got bitten by the bug.(1)

If you had the two options I noted (1. blabla, 2. [Flirt] sameblabla), then to romance Lana (or Koth) (or Theron) you have to pick option 2, *then choose (if there isn't just one) which of your flirtees you want to romance.

The [Flirt] option *during* the conversation with Lana only happens if you pick option 2.

I wish I knew what to look for at the time and I could have ESC the conversation and researched more.

When I did start to suspect something was wrong (chapter one of KoTET) and researched via YouTube clips, I discovered late what had happened. I also discovered this was a bug from around 2016. It's 2019 now. Seriously? They obviously have no intention on fixing it.

Indeed. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen any indication that they are even aware that it happens.

(1) The bug is approximately this:

You start KotFE and play some chapters (but not all the way to the end of VIII). You stop for the night. The next day there is a patch (not a server maintenance, but any patch where new code is released) before you can continue. You reach Chapter IX and option 2 is missing in the cantina even though you took all the Lanaflirts or Kothflirts (as appropriate) along the way. That character is bugged. See below for a way to unbug the character, although it doesn't help your existing character.

The bug does not affect Theron-lovers because the first KotFE flirt with him is *during* Chapter IX, so it's almost impossible for there to be a patch before the cantina conversation. (Yes, of course, you *could* get distracted after he arrives on Odessen and before the cantina, but for practical purposes, that's unlikely to happen.)

If you can allocate the time to do it, you can even reserve time on the weekend (when patches are never going to happen) and play through the whole first part of KotFE, from the beginning of Chapter I to the end of Chapter IX. It takes five or six hours if you watch the cinematics fully, although that doesn't leave any time for tourism on Zakuul. On a couple of characters, I've even done it in one sitting, although I don't recommend that. (Especially not if you start at 9:30pm, since that means you don't finish until around 3am.)

So, to unbug a bugged character... (Yes, I know, this only helps your next character.) As soon as you see that the cantina wheel is busted (only has option 1), Esc out of it and switch to any earlier chapter using the Activity Finder (Ctrl+G) or the Chapter Chooser (Shift+E). Play just a moment of it to make sure that the game has recognised that you are in it, then switch to Chapter IX again.

This time, even if you don't intend to do anything romantic with him, take Theron's flirts. This causes the game to recalculate all the "Option 2 required" flags(2) and you can pick Lana or Koth in the cantina.

(2) In the past, when discussing this, I've described it as being all the romance flags, but on reflection, I believe it's more likely to be only the flag that says that option 2 is required.

If, in the wheel before choosing Lana, you only had one option (as noted in my post), you got bitten by the bug.(1)

If you had the two options I noted (1. blabla, 2. [Flirt] sameblabla), then to romance Lana (or Koth) (or Theron) you have to pick option 2, *then choose (if there isn't just one) which of your flirtees you want to romance.

The [Flirt] option *during* the conversation with Lana only happens if you pick option 2.

Indeed. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen any indication that they are even aware that it happens.

(1) The bug is approximately this:

You start KotFE and play some chapters (but not all the way to the end of VIII). You stop for the night. The next day there is a patch (not a server maintenance, but any patch where new code is released) before you can continue. You reach Chapter IX and option 2 is missing in the cantina even though you took all the Lanaflirts or Kothflirts (as appropriate) along the way. That character is bugged. See below for a way to unbug the character, although it doesn't help your existing character.

The bug does not affect Theron-lovers because the first KotFE flirt with him is *during* Chapter IX, so it's almost impossible for there to be a patch before the cantina conversation. (Yes, of course, you *could* get distracted after he arrives on Odessen and before the cantina, but for practical purposes, that's unlikely to happen.)

If you can allocate the time to do it, you can even reserve time on the weekend (when patches are never going to happen) and play through the whole first part of KotFE, from the beginning of Chapter I to the end of Chapter IX. It takes five or six hours if you watch the cinematics fully, although that doesn't leave any time for tourism on Zakuul. On a couple of characters, I've even done it in one sitting, although I don't recommend that. (Especially not if you start at 9:30pm, since that means you don't finish until around 3am.)

So, to unbug a bugged character... (Yes, I know, this only helps your next character.) As soon as you see that the cantina wheel is busted (only has option 1), Esc out of it and switch to any earlier chapter using the Activity Finder (Ctrl+G) or the Chapter Chooser (Shift+E). Play just a moment of it to make sure that the game has recognised that you are in it, then switch to Chapter IX again.

This time, even if you don't intend to do anything romantic with him, take Theron's flirts. This causes the game to recalculate all the "Option 2 required" flags(2) and you can pick Lana or Koth in the cantina.

(2) In the past, when discussing this, I've described it as being all the romance flags, but on reflection, I believe it's more likely to be only the flag that says that option 2 is required.

You have been phenomenally helpful. I can't express enough how much I appreciate your guidance. BioWare should be paying you to help players.

I'll just delete this character and start again. I'm debating if I wanna play through it all over or just start at the Illum quest.

I really leaning toward skipping the class story. I honestly don't think I can do that all over again.

Once more, thank you so very much. Words cannot begin to thank you sufficiently for the help you've provided. I'm definitely gonna play through the cantina scene slowly and carefully the second time around. I just wish I knew how important this scene was the first time around. Thank you again.