Would cross server PVP destroy your PVP community?

Ferrydust

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has to happen I'd prefer server groups.

i.e. each group contains 3-4 servers which cross-pvp.

That way instead of just not knowing who you will fight you just increase the size of your pvp community but can still get to know all the main players.

Dark Reaper seems to have a pretty nice community overall. It's nice knowing the other players you play against / with.

Do you think cross server queuing will ruin your servers community feel or do you think it is good for the game?

I like my community for PvP, I'd find it pretty pointless it play against people I don't know. At least when I see certain names, I know if they are a threat or not and put on more pressure, etc.

After waiting 30 mins to get into a WZ im all for it. The "community" is irrelevant. It didnt destroy wow and i remember 2 hour waits for AV and after xrealm it was instant. So ya, i could care less about community, i want to wreck people.

Actually people claimed it did ruin Wows community, but that's neither here nor there. My biggest worry about cross server would be more cheating than there is already. Once people 'blend in' with the crowd they don't worry about getting caught.

But I had no idea people were waiting 1/2 an hour for a queue either! That's crazy.

Actually people claimed it did ruin Wows community, but that's neither here nor there. My biggest worry about cross server would be more cheating than there is already. Once people 'blend in' with the crowd they don't worry about getting caught.

But I had no idea people were waiting 1/2 an hour for a queue either! That's crazy.

Merge dead servers, don't Xserver PvP.

Cross server pvp is a requisite for viable pvp. Servers exist because of technical limitations not because developers want to make tiny communities. Most people do not want to pvp with and against the same 30 people when a million people play. Cross server is something they are adding for pvp and it is a no brainer.

They need to do something. My server is hemorrhaging badly. I can think of a dozen players off the top of my head within seconds who have either unsubbed, rerolled another server or just walked from their mains when 50s brackets were introduced.

The problem is the ridiculous progression path. Theres two main guilds from the other side that attained 50 before the majority. Well and good, however that meant they were farming lvl 10-49 players with ease. Which lead to accelerated gear acquisition and valor ranks for them . When most of us were just hitting 50, when many of them were attaining Battlemaster due to their domination in the warzones (it was so bad, they woiuld pass the ball to us then kill us for defender medals).

Now the power dynamic is so heavily in their favor that even something as routine as winning 3 matches becomes hours of loss after loss. We get most of our wins from inter-faction hutball or the occasional newbie team.

I'm not blaming these guilds, they got there first and they've paid for the right to play the game. However, the system that supports pvp is so disproportionately in their favor, that they have effectively stunted my factions progression. The few of us that have reached BM, can go 2 days on 1 daily unless we commit half the day to it.

I doubt I'm alone. While I love having the community, its simply too demoralizing to tolerate for very long. I nearly unsubbed, in fact I did unsub it was so bad, but my guild pulled me back, but that won't last, it can't.

Cross-server pvp may give us a little break.

I just wish BW would say something. Their silence gives the impression that they don't know what to do.

Edited by Sowwy

I don't want cross-server PvP.

For one thing, I like that I get a good variety of WZs. I don't want to get stuck playing Huttball all the time, and I suspect that with cross-server queues, people on relatively balanced servers would get totally screwed on this deal.

For another thing, I like getting to know the other PvPers on my realm. It's nice when you get to recognize your opponents and develop relationships and rivalries with them.

Edited by belialle

Gw2 does have a higher potential for success since its from a company that already knows how to make an mmo. Downside is we probably wont see GW2 until july maybe even august.

GW was a single player game with arena matches. There was also nearly nothing to do in the game but exploit awful mechanics to solo farm raids, grind out things or pvp.

GW2 will have an mmo element and more than just pvpers playing- meaning, smaller servers which'll each have less of a pvp community...

Meaning the same problems every single mmo suffers- lack of interest in pvp.

Regardless, after a few weeks of WvW, people will see which server is winning the most- reroll there- and boom, imbalance.

At first I was opposed to the idea of cross-server PvP honestly, but now? I'd go for it. Not because of que times or anything like that, I simply moved to a heavier population server to fix that, now I can pvp around the clock with very short que's if I want to.

I've even kept track of my win/losses, and I'm even winning 70% of the matches I get in, but I pvp less and less because I get tired of fighting against/with the same dozen people over and over. While sometimes that's a good thing, and I do enjoy getting to PvP with people I know what to expect from, it does get a little old after a while facing off against the same people time after time.

Basically it's made me realize how little of the game actually PvP's. You look at these forums and you'd say wow there are a lot of pvp'ers, but it's a lot of the same names. So yeah I could go for some cross-server action just to see some different faces once in a while.

Community of BM suit farmers? I doubt it exists - people getting to lvl60 in 1-2 weeks and stop "pvp". Who in healthy mind would like to play 4fps slideshow on ilum (1 year old computer) or stupidity festival aka "warzones"? Edited by Pashgan

no, i like the idea and it actually can connect the community MORE ! then only focusing on one server

people should start thinking like in year 2012.. sometimes i see they are still in 1998

Edited by Aragiel

GW was a single player game with arena matches. There was also nearly nothing to do in the game but exploit awful mechanics to solo farm raids, grind out things or pvp.

GW2 will have an mmo element and more than just pvpers playing- meaning, smaller servers which'll each have less of a pvp community...

Meaning the same problems every single mmo suffers- lack of interest in pvp.

Regardless, after a few weeks of WvW, people will see which server is winning the most- reroll there- and boom, imbalance.

Dont know if you played Aion but the whole imbalance thing to everyone just rerolls is not true. Wasnt on the really big one what was that game oh yea world of warcraft. In fact, pvpers for the most part enjoyed the less populated side even in the open world objective pvp. Horde of course at least on all orginal servers and well i think just about all of them really. Or DAOC or many other games. Sure some will but thats fine dont need them anyways.

Edited by Girwen

Cross server pvp is a requisite for viable pvp. Servers exist because of technical limitations not because developers want to make tiny communities. Most people do not want to pvp with and against the same 30 people when a million people play. Cross server is something they are adding for pvp and it is a no brainer.

While I dont like the idea, I think this post nails it. I think it'll act as a band-aid like approach to fixing queue times on the lower pop servers(which is good in their opinion), and Bioware will like the idea of having millions of people able to PvP each other(along with those stats).

I dunno though, I can see the argument of some people not wanting to PvP against the same names over and over(which is another penalty if you're on a low pop server). So I'm sure this will be a highly debated topic in the Bioware offices. I am not a fan of the people that have to make that decision.

I'm all for X-Server, as long as it's all servers. I don't mean blending US/EU. It seems that some of the people replying to this thread are afraid of a diverse PvP setting, personally I grow tired of seing the same names WZ after WZ. To become truly great at PvP you shouldn't know what to expect from the players you are up against.

IMO X-Server PvP is all pros, no cons. the server that I play on is medium pop, I have waited in Q for several hours many times. It really depends on timezones, sometimes I wake up very early and feel like doing some PvP, I've given up entering Q at these times which eliminates some of the joy of playing for me. If there are no X-server elements, is it really an MMO, or is it more of an,,,,,,MO, I want to feel challenged in PvP.

Also, premades would be a little less prevalent, you may join PvP in a group of 3, however if you plan on making 3 groups of 3 and hoping to be in the same WZ, it would be nearly impossible in a X-server setting, which IMO is a good thing. And yeah, Q times would always be instant, and not depending on the time of day.

Please introduce X-Server:D

Would it destroy the PvP community on my server? No, but it definitely would hurt it. There is just something really great about grouping with the same people all the way from 10-50 and fighting the same players/guilds too. Otherwise, how would I know someone from Ebonlore is a free kill? :D

(Too bad they rerolled Republic :()

Having said that, if Arenas or some other form of highly-competitive PvP is introduced that REQUIRES a set team to participate, then I would be all for X-server for those activities only.

Edited by Kryptorchid