GCW + Real Space Sim

delano

This is not a QQ rage-quit post....just a plain, simple fact that I KNOW many others share. Add these 2 things to the game or lots of people walk. The game is extreme easy-mode theme park which is supposed to appeal to the masses....both kids and hardcore players alike. Got news for you...it doesn't appeal to the hardcore.

Here's another fact....the hardcore gamers are how you make money. over time Any MMO where you can reach end-game in a few short weeks is destined to have high attrition. This is not a formula for long term success.

IMO the following 2 things, as stated in the title, should be priority number one. Not new titles, or colored gear, or anything else that has a 5 second "Ooooh ahhh" appeal, and then transforms into "we want more content!"

1. Get a GCW because PvP is a snoozefest. Limited, linear, controlled PvP like WZ's are only fun for a small period of time.

If you want a model to follow, look no farther than SWG. You don't have to copy it exactly but it serves as a great start.

2. Make space a viable part of the game, not an arcade-style way to pass some time. Smugglers should be able to smuggle and there should be PvP. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a rail system too, that I absolutely loved....when I was 8....so please take us off the rail, add PvP, and make space part of the game, not a filler.

Thanks for reading!

/signed

less rails, more things to do...

more things to do that involve pvp would be best.

Bounty Missions

OWPVEPVP

Crafting with a purpose (need best goods to degrade over time/with resources in pvp areas)

I love the style and combat in this game, but it's lacking in the "things to do" department bigtime.

GCW? :) this is not SWG :)

I know, THAT's the problem! LOL

If anybody remembers back in 2005-2006'ish, this game was supposed to be SWG Pre CU.

All that was talked about in the threads were how we were going to unlock jedi, would it be more or less of a grind than SWG...how can we make the GCW better...how can we make space better....

I don't know what happened between then and now, but it appears they said "Okay let's scrap everything and just make a new improved version of SWG AFTER the nerf....../facepalm

If anybody remembers back in 2005-2006'ish, this game was supposed to be SWG Pre CU.

All that was talked about in the threads were how we were going to unlock jedi, would it be more or less of a grind than SWG...how can we make the GCW better...how can we make space better....

I don't know what happened between then and now, but it appears they said "Okay let's scrap everything and just make a new improved version of SWG AFTER the nerf....../facepalm

This game has nothing simular to SWG, pre or post the CU/NGE. To me it looks more like a failed try to make a new and improved version of WoW.

I allways knew they wouldn't focus on sandbox gameplay in SWTOR...i wasn't expecting them to deny every possible slight hint of sandbox from development though...which is why this game is failing to deliver for me.

/Signed..

Something needs to be done somewhere.. There is just too little to do besides stand in the fleet waiting for queue.

In anticipation of this game I too was wondering "How can they top SWG..?" it was so great with all it had to offer. Even though the population of SWG died down.. It would still be going right now if SWTOR had never come out. LucasArts who will always own everything with a Star Wars brand on it did not want two mmo's competing so they shut SWG down. Although SWTOR is amazing in its own way.. if it had the things that SWG had on top of what it is, it would be unmatched.. This is what i thought I was getting.. in my opinion its not too late. Its still early BW. Get to work plz before it does in fact become too late.

P.S.

And on the other POST. This may not be SWG and no actual Galactic Civil War (GCW) going but there is most definitely a war with opposing factions.. The Republic and the Sith Empire.

vs SWG... The game engine is better. The combat is better. The stories are way better...

however after you get to level 50... the game abruptly ends with no real endgame. The Pvp in Wz is fun, but

the Wz are really kind of smallish and do not retain the same fun factor as say.. AV or even Warsong gulch...

I signed up on these forums on day one, check my join date and join number. There were no threads about this game in 2005-6, since there were no official forums. Anything you read on SWG forums or elsewhere were random people making up ideas they'd like to see. This game was NEVER meant to be like SWG. It's set in a completely different timeline, designed entirely differently, and was meant to be its own game, not SWG 2.0 or whatever.

If this isn't the game you want, i can understand that. But don't try to turn it into something it's not -- that's what happened to SWG with the CU/NGE. More meaningful open world pvp combat would be great, most of us agree on that. But no need to start with SWG comparisons because they don't get you anywhere. Space in this game is very controversial. A lot of people really enjoy it -- others want something with more meat on it. They've hinted at the idea that they're working on something new for space, but they're staying quiet about it right now.

PvP in SWG was absolutley terrible imo

You obviously didnt play SWG fanboy.....tell us exactly what you didn't like about the GCW? World PvP? Player bases? Player crafted gear that dominated any other?

Most people I know never evven raided because there was always something to do.

The idea of this development team adding space pvp scares the **** out of me. Have they done one single thing to make anyone think they can handle that. Don't get me wrong, it is a wish list item of mine too, but we aren't exactly waiting on the best and brightest to add content here.

This game needs fresh blood and a new perspective. I'm not asking to bw to fire people, but they NEED to hire some.

You obviously didnt play SWG fanboy.....tell us exactly what you didn't like about the GCW? World PvP? Player bases? Player crafted gear that dominated any other?

Most people I know never evven raided because there was always something to do.

Actually, i played for 5 or 6 years, joined about 6 months before the combat upgrade and left around a year before it shut down.

Player bases? What are those? Do you mean those random structures which were dotted around everywhere and which was exploited by everyone to get easy GCW points because they were too lazy to pvp?

Some classes/specced were left overpowered for a long time whilst underpowered ones were ignored. PvP itself was reliant on buffs. If you didn't have 3 or 4 lines of buffs you didn't stand much chance in pvp.

The city sieges (Bestine, Kor Vella etc) had lots of potential but in the end it was basically just a PvE event with the possibility of PvP on the side.

Granted that was ground pvp. Space PvP i actually enjoyed (apart from certain aspects such as the complicated statistics on the ships and components). Its just a shame that space was relatively ignored for most of its life.

Actually, i played for 5 or 6 years, joined about 6 months before the combat upgrade and left around a year before it shut down.

Player bases? What are those? Do you mean those random structures which were dotted around everywhere and which was exploited by everyone to get easy GCW points because they were too lazy to pvp?

Some classes/specced were left overpowered for a long time whilst underpowered ones were ignored. PvP itself was reliant on buffs. If you didn't have 3 or 4 lines of buffs you didn't stand much chance in pvp.

The city sieges (Bestine, Kor Vella etc) had lots of potential but in the end it was basically just a PvE event with the possibility of PvP on the side.

Granted that was ground pvp. Space PvP i actually enjoyed (apart from certain aspects such as the complicated statistics on the ships and components). Its just a shame that space was relatively ignored for most of its life.

So the majority of your time was spent AFTER the CU? You didn't play SWG, you played SWGNGE. What you described is NOTHING like the events we held in our custom designed cities. Every night was like one looooong warzone, and sure there is imbalance, just like any game. Different classes had different roles during PvP....crowd control wasn't something every class had 3 of, it was the job of one class, as was healing, tracking, etc. People have a job to do, that's what MMO's are for....it's not an Xbox game...everyone should have their own purpose instead of everyone having the exact same abilities. When everything is the same, then what is gear for? What is the point of gaining ground by leveling, alternate advancement, legacy, or whatever else they add....people who have put in the most time should dominate have an edge in pvp against anyone of equal skill level....otherwise it's a console game.

Nothing against console games, I still dust mine off from time to time to play a little Madden, but these games are like a lifestyle, not something for the young gamers who constantly demand ridiculous things like equality of classes, glowing things that make cool noises, more and more stuff hovering over your head with titles and other garbage, armor effects, etc.

Anyway, in 2005-06 these forums were loaded with threads with discussions between devs and future players....everything was about how to return to a SW game that was as awesome as SWG pre-NGE.

Discussions like, how should we unlock jedi? What was the GCW going to be about...how much of it would we change from the original SWG? How many faction pets should we have? Should we have 1 or 2 toons per account? Should we also add xp loss on death? Would space be available at launch?

I was very active on the forums back then. I started back to school and didn't have time, so I decided it was going in a good enough directoin, what could go wrong? I never stepped foot into the forums until I heard an official launch date....they had postponed this game like 5 times. I wasn't sure if I had come to the wrong game forums.....I didn't recognize anything.

All they did was turn the game into EXACTLY like SWG post-NGE but with much better graphics, combat animations, and armor.

These are the 3 things that the Xbox generation demand, they love shiny things, bright lights, and looking at their character going "oooh ahhh".....but they have the attention span of a gnat, which is why nobody ever understands why ALL MMO's in history have a great launch, and then a sharp drop in subscribers several months later. The only possible way you could make this type of people happy is to have a weekly patch with all new content. Impossible and unnecessary. Free us up and give us the ability to create our own battles.

If they just put out the product they SAID they were going to put out, they would have had far fewer initial players, true....but the ones they did have would still be playing, and will still be playing 5 years from now. The Xbox generation come and go.

The idea of this development team adding space pvp scares the **** out of me. Have they done one single thing to make anyone think they can handle that. Don't get me wrong, it is a wish list item of mine too, but we aren't exactly waiting on the best and brightest to add content here.

This game needs fresh blood and a new perspective. I'm not asking to bw to fire people, but they NEED to hire some.

Hmmm, I think you're onto something. Sometimes the solution is to amputate or lose everything eh? I agree completely.

Keep the hard working devs, artists, and debuggers and fire anyone involved in conceptual design. From the top down.

RESET!

Anyway, in 2005-06 these forums were loaded with threads with discussions between devs and future players....everything was about how to return to a SW game that was as awesome as SWG pre-NGE.

Discussions like, how should we unlock jedi? What was the GCW going to be about...how much of it would we change from the original SWG? How many faction pets should we have? Should we have 1 or 2 toons per account? Should we also add xp loss on death? Would space be available at launch?

I was very active on the forums back then. I started back to school and didn't have time, so I decided it was going in a good enough directoin, what could go wrong? I never stepped foot into the forums until I heard an official launch date....they had postponed this game like 5 times. I wasn't sure if I had come to the wrong game forums.....I didn't recognize anything.

Once again, this is all false. These forums didn't exist until 2008. The game was never meant to be SWG 2.0... please stop lying.

So the majority of your time was spent AFTER the CU? You didn't play SWG, you played SWGNGE. What you described is NOTHING like the events we held in our custom designed cities. Every night was like one looooong warzone, and sure there is imbalance, just like any game. Different classes had different roles during PvP....crowd control wasn't something every class had 3 of, it was the job of one class, as was healing, tracking, etc.

Even though i played for 6 months of pre-CU...thats plenty of time to get an opinion of the PvP, and it wasn't that great. I agree with you with the fact that there was alot of variety with classes and what they could do, having different roles was an excellent addition to the game, but thats for another thread.

Besides, apart from player made pvp events, what other kind of PvP was there to do? PvP events in SWG wasnt exactly special anyway...any MMO (even one with mediocre PvP such as Lotro), has the potential to have decent player made PvP events if done right.

Once again, this is all false. These forums didn't exist until 2008. The game was never meant to be SWG 2.0... please stop lying.

This. I also remember the forums back in 2008, and there werent that many SWG threads around.

You can go verify this if you took 10 seconds....

In 2008 Bioware announced the game officially with an official website, an official "expected" date of release, an officially

"A major focus in the game is on developing characters' individual stories[16] and, in October 2008, BioWare considered this game to have more story content than all of their other games combined.[17] The writing team worked on the project longer than any of the game's other development teams.[30] An October 2008 preview noted some of the 12 full-time writers had been working on The Old Republic for more than two years at that point.[17]"

Now tell me how they could have had a huge game already developed on the day they announced it......what's wrong, you can't face the fact that your precious game is a shadow of what they promised?

Edited by Qishari
removed insults

In 2008 Bioware announced the game officially with an official website, an official "expected" date of release, an officially

"A major focus in the game is on developing characters' individual stories[16] and, in October 2008, BioWare considered this game to have more story content than all of their other games combined.[17] The writing team worked on the project longer than any of the game's other development teams.[30] An October 2008 preview noted some of the 12 full-time writers had been working on The Old Republic for more than two years at that point.[17]"

Now tell me how they could have had a huge game already developed on the day they announced it......what's wrong, you can't face the fact that your precious game is a shadow of what they promised?

Um... you didn't disprove anything i said. I remember that announcement, because i registered on these forums that day and have been here ever since. They never said it would be SWG 2.0 and they were VERY tight-lipped on details for a long time after. None of this changes the fact that there were no official forums in 2005 like you're claiming. BW denied working on this game up until Oct 2008, and never discussed possibilities for it prior to that.

Edited by Qishari
quoted insults

This. I also remember the forums back in 2008, and there werent that many SWG threads around.

Yes becaues you were not part of the developers forums they had BEFORE the official announcement.

Just ask anyone who has been following this since then....they started developing it JUST as SWG announced the first of 2 huge mistakes for SOE.....the CU and the NGE.

Why would I make something like this up?

lolwut?

Edited by Qishari
quoted insults

Even though i played for 6 months of pre-CU...thats plenty of time to get an opinion of the PvP, and it wasn't that great. I agree with you with the fact that there was alot of variety with classes and what they could do, having different roles was an excellent addition to the game, but thats for another thread.

Besides, apart from player made pvp events, what other kind of PvP was there to do? PvP events in SWG wasnt exactly special anyway...any MMO (even one with mediocre PvP such as Lotro), has the potential to have decent player made PvP events if done right.

You must not have leveled up enough in your 6 months to experience the huge battles that were had in player cities.

You had to gain ground and attack bases, and then grind for faction to build and buy more parts and mats to keep it up. The more bases you had the more guild buffs you got.

There's SO much more to it, a lot to get into here, but everyone loved it, and that's why nobody will ever stop talking about SWG PRE NGE and the disaster that SOE made of the game.

The devs have always said the exact opposite.

Not back in 2005 they didn't. Before they found out how much this whole thing would cost, and they couldn't do it without the backing of a huge corporation.....so they sold out and we get a WoW clone....it's really not that new of a concept either, it's happened before.