Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

KhalDrogoe

None of what the OP sas makes sense.

The items on the GTN were purchased by Cartel Coins. So if Player X wants to go to a 3rd party redit site and buy credits for use on the GTN, who is he purchasing from?

He's purchasing from a guy that got items from the Cartel.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Its not for YOU to decide how OTHERS spend their money. It may seem pointless to you - but than again - you're sitting here dishing out 15 dollars for this game just like the rest of us - if others want to spend more on something they think is worth their while, than leave them be and stop trolling this forum trying to prove your non-existent point.

Just like its not for you to decide who, what, where, when, why I post.

Was that an attempt to rub in my face that I lost at gambling?

Grow up kid.

I thought the thread was about the cartel market and our experiences with it.

If you have nothing to contribute I think you know what to do.

Maybe.

Im a grown man. Kind of ironic that you call someone a kid and tell them to grow up after wasting money on some digital items that you dont even own.

Im sure it is.

I contributed just fine thanks.

Anyone who purchases credits for real money is basically to lazy to make the easy credits you can in the game, lets face it. I like the Cartel Coin market, SWG had something similar with the same type of results, e.g. do not expect to get the rarest items straight out, that is the way it is, and I do not see anything wrong with that. Next people will be saying they expect to win the National Lottery every week, because they purchased £30 worth of tickets as an example,lol. It does not work like that, and that is life.

Allowing the items to be sold on the GTN obviously allows those who do not or will not purchase those packs to get hold of those items via the credits system, and nothing wrong with that, everyone can get hold of the items they wish and will keep the GTN stocked up as there is likely to always be a market for these items.

But buying credits to me is a bit lame, when it is so easy to make credits in the game. You have not got to be a rocket scientist to know this.

Cheers

FatEdd

None of what the OP sas makes sense.

The items on the GTN were purchased by Cartel Coins. So if Player X wants to go to a 3rd party redit site and buy credits for use on the GTN, who is he purchasing from?

He's purchasing from a guy that got items from the Cartel.

But that's just it. They are making more on selling those credits than Bioware selling the boxes. Think about it...$5 dollar purchase and ANY free sub becomes preferred, then they go on big farming parties, and are able to trade credits back and forth. So the way it goes is, credits are free to get from game , and then they sell the credits to people dumb enough to buy them, buy some cartel packs to get items to put on gtn or website, while their parties go back out to farm credits. So the money that the player(s) spend on rmt'ers should be going to Bioware but doesn't .Not like you think it does. If they put all the items that are mentioned in the packs piecemeal on market, that would end this real quick.I wouldn't mind dishing out $20 for mask of nihulis if that would help stop rmt'ers from working their (censored) on this game.

Maybe.

Im a grown man. Kind of ironic that you call someone a kid and tell them to grow up after wasting money on some digital items that you dont even own.

Im sure it is.

I contributed just fine thanks.

What is your problem, if I may ask? It's not your money, it is completely in the freedom of man to spend money earned according to their wishes. Of course, you may not agree with it, but what motives you to insult the people who are doing so?

What is your problem, if I may ask? It's not your money, it is completely in the freedom of man to spend money earned according to their wishes. Of course, you may not agree with it, but what motives you to insult the people who are doing so?

I dont have a problem, spend away... spend away your mortgage for all I care (im sure someone already has). Doesnt mean that I cant laugh at it. You will see what my actual problem with it is, in due time. When people start wondering why only the cash shop is getting consistant updating and we are thrown bones for actual content. You can wonder why and why some more. Some day it will dawn on you that the Cash Shop is their money source. It is their money source from all the people that throw 200 bucks a week at it. They will update their money source well before they do anything for real content. You will see... it wont take but a few months to see through it.

Proof positive in this is they couldnt be bothered to update the CE store that was bare bones to begin with or neutral gear or the other store.. yet it didnt take them long for all those goodies in the cash shop did it?

Soon as the grab bag items dies down... they will add more items to it. Got to keep that money flow... screw that new story content or the new side content like swoop racing.

Edited by Soluss

...buy some cartel packs to get items to put on gtn or website....

You're still missing the point. It's not just "some cartel packs", it will be a lot of them, as much as it's needed to spawn the rare items.

Let me give you an example with made up stats :

Let's say the rare Mask has a chance of 1 / 50 on every pack.

That means on average that for each player that gets a Mask, Bioware sells 50 packs.

However the player gets the Mask, directly from a pack he purchased from the Cartel Shop, or from the GTN using in-game credits, does not matter,

as for each Mask to exist in the game at first, about 50 packs will have been bought by other players (or by gold sellers as you suggested).

Bioware will always still sells as much as pack as normal as long as there is a demand for the Mask. Gold Sellers have no incidence on that aspect.

Gold Sellers do have a negative impact on the Cartel Market for another reason: Some players buy Cartel Market items for the sole purpose of reselling the items to other players as a way to quickly earn in-game credits.

And to earn lot of credits, they need to either be lucky or to buy lot of pack to find rare items.

But instead some of these players might be tempted to just purchase credits directly from Gold Sellers. That"s what hurts Bioware sales, because then the player money goes to Gold Seller not them.

One theorical way to prevent such problem, would be as you suggested to sell directly the Mask in the Cartel Market. But then Bioware would have to sell it to 50x the price of the pack to compensate (in that made up example) for the lack of profit made by gambling.

Then I can already hear someone saying, that they could lower the price, and that more people would buy it. Not really because if it becomes easy to get, it loses its rarity and becomes worthless ;)

Also I guess having a heavy priced virtual item would have a negative psychological impact.

And somehow gambling is more fair, as even someone that cannot afford to buy lot of pack, can still get one if lucky. While if it was just sold at high price, only most wealthy people would get them from the Cartel Market.

Edited by Elysith

I dont have a problem, spend away... spend away your mortgage for all I care (im sure someone already has). Doesnt mean that I cant laugh at it. You will see what my actual problem with it is, in due time. When people start wondering why only the cash shop is getting consistant updating and we are thrown bones for actual content. You can wonder why and why some more. Some day it will dawn on you that the Cash Shop is their money source. It is their money source from all the people that throw 200 bucks a week at it. They will update their money source well before they do anything for real content. You will see... it wont take but a few months to see through it.

Proof positive in this is they couldnt be bothered to update the CE store that was bare bones to begin with or neutral gear or the other store.. yet it didnt take them long for all those goodies in the cash shop did it?

Soon as the grab bag items dies down... they will add more items to it. Got to keep that money flow... screw that new story content or the new side content like swoop racing.

Ok fair point, even though I do think you are overexaggerating your scenario. If the actual game truly lacks content I believe no amount of fluff items will be enough to save it. People will still leave, even those who spend unreasonable amounts of dollars to cartel packs. Fluff items are a needed extra to this game, World of Warcraft is very successful with their own fluff content and it is very popular among the playerbase but for the majority of players it's never their primary aim in this game.

I do think that they won't make the mistake of constantly delaying content to rush fluff items in, that would be just stupid on their part.

Anyone who purchases credits for real money is basically to lazy to make the easy credits you can in the game.

I don't look down on the people that pay real money for cartel items. I'ts great that they do, because It's only through them that I can buy cartel items or unlock with in-game credtis

I gambled away all of my free CC's on these... what do you get... Well I got a lot of useless speeders and 'THAT' mask. I'm sure if items had a high end place in the economy then folks might buy them for the credits...but when you get stuff with a market value of 50k then People won't want ot blow $5 to get 50k in game.

Maybe if they sold me a house or a chair I could sit on (I can sit on speeders anyway).

Ok fair point, even though I do think you are overexaggerating your scenario. If the actual game truly lacks content I believe no amount of fluff items will be enough to save it. People will still leave, even those who spend unreasonable amounts of dollars to cartel packs. Fluff items are a needed extra to this game, World of Warcraft is very successful with their own fluff content and it is very popular among the playerbase but for the majority of players it's never their primary aim in this game.

I do think that they won't make the mistake of constantly delaying content to rush fluff items in, that would be just stupid on their part.

As long as they have people willing to spend 100's of dollars on a regular basis... then updating the cartel packs will be their main priority. Now dont get me wrong here. Im not saying there will never be content updates. Im simply saying that it is going to be few and far between and more of the same old that we already get. Right now they have content back logged. Meaning, its practically ready to go now. Once that runs out the 6 week content updates will start to be 2 months then 3 months then 4 months. All the while introducing more and more bugs in the game which helps to further that gap.

On the other side of it. Cartel content is probably generating them more money then they have seen from subscriptions. That will die down as stuff becomes less and less rare and people got what they pretty much want. Walllah! New cartel pack content. You have to understand that EA is a business, a greedy cuthroat one at that. They do not care about people. They do not care about the critisim. What they do care about is the sales they are making in the cash shop... thats the only thing they care about. As long as those sales are still being made then subscriptions are meaningless to them. Subscriptions are chump change compared to the money they made in the last few days.

I hope Im wrong on this of course but this is the gut feeling I get. The first sign that Im wrong is if EA hires a bunch more people. If they dont hire a sigficant staff from all this added income then you know that either they still arent making much money OR they dont care about adding more content.

How about this? Make it so that ONLY SUBSCRIBERS can buy Cartel Market items off the GTN

Why would they do that? It would be a money loss. Cash shop isnt bringing people back and it was never meant to. It is there to get more money from subscribers then they already pay. It is there so the free players hopefully buy something. As long as the free players buy something then its more then they were going to get from them anyways.

Or maybe the guy just makes more money than you?

People can do whatever they want with their money.

For some spending it on a car might sound stupid. It is all about the perceived benefit.

Although spending $600 on digital pixels is borderline acceptable even for me.

But if it makes him happy by all means...

this is what I did. i have been playing the GTN game for months and saving up. blew 40 million over 2 days, got everything i wanted and extras for my alts, and i didn't even need to spend any real money on gambling packs

awesome system they have i thought

Lol...

2 days ago - White crystal - 10-15mln

1 day ago - White crystal - 5 mln

now - White crytal - 2 mln..

Blowed 40 mlns? lol.. In a week you could buy all that stuff for 2-3mlns.. lol..

How about this? Make it so that ONLY SUBSCRIBERS can buy Cartel Market items off the GTN

Lol... You are havent working on this very long, yes? lol..

With a credit cap for F2P 250K(350K) how do you proposing to sell them stuff for more than 350K? lol

Edited by Missandei

Why do people say that its stupid to buy 600$ worth of cartel coins? If money is no problem for you and swtor is one of your hobbies why is it stupid to subsidize Bioware with this purchase?

The money is not wastet cause it will pay the developers and of course the EA shareholders witch is ... a good thing!

Why do people say that its stupid to buy 600$ worth of cartel coins? If money is no problem for you and swtor is one of your hobbies why is it stupid to subsidize Bioware with this purchase?

The money is not wastet cause it will pay the developers and of course the EA shareholders witch is ... a good thing!

If you want to donate to charity there are many more ways and many more needy people than EA.

reread Soluss' response to my query, he has a valid point, even though I think he is over-exaggerating it. The main point is that once EA/Bioware sees the money potential of Cartel Packs they may constantly release easy to make fluff items to preserve the demand while ever so slightly delaying other issues such as content releases, bug fixes and class / ability balancing. It is a fair point in that regard.

However I also like to point out that Fluff items are almost a necessity in themepark style games like SWTOR to give people things to aim for other than content completions so devs can take more time to introduce new content. Just think about it, WOW hasn't released any new content for 8 to 9 months before releasing Mists of Pandaria, and even though subscrptions dropped the game had series of extra stuff to do like gunning for more achievements, guild leveling system collecting the tons and tons of fluff items in the game and also gunning for total completion of seasonal events.