Non-Jedi's knolwedge of the Jedi

makallitank

Odd title, but let me explain.

I'm wondering how much are non-Jedi supposed to know about the Jedi and their ways?

For example, my Smuggler ran into a Jedi, and I could tell she was a Jedi, so I let her handle her own fight (because I know she could), while my companion berated me for not wanting to help her.

Another time, I had the option to ask what a "padawan" was.

I like to RP the my Smuggler knows about the Jedi and their ways, but canon-wise, do non-Jedi know very little about what they can do?

Well, your smuggler would know that jedi are capable warriors with superhuman powers.

But he likely wouldn't know the internal ranks of the order.

So it makes sense tha you didn't know what a padawan was, but still knew that jedi were capable of handling themselves in battle.

It would be like you knowing someone was a marine and that he could hold his own in a fight, but you still wouldn't have a clue what his rank was if you were not a marine yourself.

In the Darth Bane books, the protagonist, before joining the ranks of the Sith, believes that the rumors about Sith and Jedi having extraordinary powers are greatly exagerated. He believes that they may be strong warriors but that's it. His opinion seems indicative of that of many citizens of the Republic/imperial worlds so I wouldn't be surprised if your average Joe doesn't know anything at all about Jedi and Sith.

It seem's from lore and canon that a lot of people would never actually come in to contact with a Jedi. Whilst they may have heard of them, and heard rumours/myths few seem to be aware of them in any detail.

Most people seem to believe them to be diplomats, with an exaggerated sense of self. The only people who genuinely seemed concerned by them seem to be those on the wrong side of the law. Most people seem unaware of their powers of mind control or telekinesis.