Attention All Imperial PVP'ers

klonkimo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you give them too much credit. Yesterday I was grouped with/against so many 12/13k people it was ridiculous.

As much as I agree.....its not just the 14-16k'ers...but its also the 10-11k'ers that are just complete idiots that refuse to even upgrade gear. Yesterday I seen .../QUOTE]

I would like to add that before you even consider entering a 50 wz for the 1st time, please stop by your friendly recruit gear vendor and get your free gear. Everyone loves free stuff amirite? Also please make sure you are buffed and wearing a cylinder/stance...it happens...a lot. And after said death please re-apply your buffs;)

I'm not trying to get to the one fool who has 10-12k in a 50 warzone...that doesn't warrant more than a tell on my part. What I'm saying is that in nearly every warzone, we have at least 2 14-16k guys. This is who I'm targeting.

Yeah, they don't read the forums, yeah, I may be wasting my time. I also may not be. I've received half applause half civil critique so far, so it's not a terrible idea.

The stance is what gives you more survivablitly, not really the generator.

yes, I'm aware of the respective benefits. all dmg reduction is significant when carrying the ball, imo. whereas when dpsing, you're not the lone dpser.

ank stance gives you the flat DR increase on your armor, the shield only guards against ranged and meele damage, not the 90% of incoming force and tech attacks (until 2.0 hits anyways).

Also, Juggs lose all of their rage when swapping stances

I'm nervous about this. I haven't played the PTS. maybe someone who has can chime in, but I imagine tanks could be a huge problem now that they shield...well...everything.

I'm nervous about this. I haven't played the PTS. maybe someone who has can chime in, but I imagine tanks could be a huge problem now that they shield...well...everything.

Being a tank, i'm now happy that we won't be passed over in anything but huttball. However, as it is not possible to shield an auto-crit attack, smashers and PT's will still be our biggest threat.

Edited by Simmerr

Are you other Sin tanks using the tank set? I did start gearing out my Sin when the stalker gear was all the rage for tanks, so I stuck with it. I do use a shield over the focus but, even in full WH, non augmented stalker gear, I just broke 17k HP's. Even if I augmented everything with the +18 endurance x 14 that's 252 endurance for 2520 more HP's. Still not even breaking 20k. I see some that are 24k+. Then again I'm pretty sure my expertise is pretty high at 1335, I could possibly sacrifice the two crystals for two endurance one's for another 820 HP's. I just say this because I do see a lot of posts about 14-16k HP toons in WZ's and it's giving me a complex! lol

Great thread nonetheless. I'm that Sin that likes to going to the off node for guard duty as well. :D I never try and 1vs1, I always mezz and call.

I know someone else already mentioned it but my biggest pet peeve are the tanks that don't release the guard when carrying the huttball or peeling to another node. Bind your guard, learn to guard swap and be flexible with it. It also bugs me when a tank puts his guard on me at the start of a match. If you see dark charge, ion canister or soresu form, they are in tank stance. If you're guarding them, they can't guard someone else. I've accidentally removed buffs trying to get the guard off of me, so please stop it. It's one thing if you are saving me from death, I do appreciate it, but once a healer brings me back or it looks like I'll be alright, take it off.

Edited by Ridickilis

yes, I'm aware of the respective benefits. all dmg reduction is significant when carrying the ball, imo. whereas when dpsing, you're not the lone dpser.

My point is you dont need the generator to reap the benefits of the stance though.

They still cant shield internal, elemental damage as far as I could see (i.e: dots). They stay up much longer now though. I legitmately had a 5 min 1 v 1 with another sin tank tank on my sin tank

Are you other Sin tanks using the tank set? I did start gearing out my Sin when the stalker gear was all the rage for tanks, so I stuck with it. I do use a shield over the focus but, even in full WH, non augmented stalker gear, I just broke 17k HP's. Even if I augmented everything with the +18 endurance x 14 that's 252 endurance for 2520 more HP's. Still not even breaking 20k. I see some that are 24k+. Then again I'm pretty sure my expertise is pretty high at 1335, I could possibly sacrifice the two crystals for two endurance one's for another 820 HP's. I just say this because I do see a lot of posts about 14-16k HP toons in WZ's and it's giving me a complex! lol

Great thread nonetheless. I'm that Sin that likes to going to the off node for guard duty as well. :D I never try and 1vs1, I always mezz and call.

I know someone else already mentioned it but my biggest pet peeve are the tanks that don't release the guard when carrying the huttball or peeling to another node. Bind your guard, learn to guard swap and be flexible with it. It also bugs me when a tank puts his guard on me at the start of a match. If you see dark charge, ion canister or soresu form, they are in tank stance. If you're guarding them, they can't guard someone else. I've accidentally removed buffs trying to get the guard off of me, so please stop it. It's one thing if you are saving me from death, I do appreciate it, but once a healer brings me back or it looks like I'll be alright, take it off.

IMO, wearing dps gear in tank spec is kinda dumb. Your job is not to be trying to one burst people ect as a SIN tank. My sole purpose when I play Morce as tank in PVP is to harash their healers and be a pain in the butt to everyone. Carry the ball in huttball, stealth guard a node in CW, mash face into keyboard on voidstar repeatly ;)...this new hypergate WZ I am still getting the hang of it--been gone for 6 months.

But everyone has their play style, so I won't take away from that aspect.

Good guide though Kenny...

I want to add that dps should stop tunneling healers but then again it's fine for the dps to do that while ball holder is scoring or we are capping. But something to think about and for healers stop face tanking!

I covered kiting in the heals and RDPS section...face tanking would be the opposite of that. It's part of the game for DPS to go after healers, because...well we heal people. I wonder if there's a forum mod that could make this a sticky...

I covered kiting in the heals and RDPS section...face tanking would be the opposite of that. It's part of the game for DPS to go after healers, because...well we heal people. I wonder if there's a forum mod that could make this a sticky...

How about adding a special Stealth section?

Though my play time and just about ceased since getting to 50 on my Sorc (Started watching Fairy Tail and can't stop!!) I did notice that stealthers more-so on the Imp side like to "help" too often and way too early.

Perhaps this is just my perspective of what the role of stealth classes should be, but I see way too often a stealth player will come to "help" someone attempting to train defenders away from an objective or even worse, the ones that respond to an inc call then pop out of stealth just moments before the person that was defending is killed.

Please, stop helping! Stealthers are supposed to be "dirty" fighters, they should be getting last hit on targets. If your team member that was solo defending is about to die.. just let them. Stay in stealth and protect the objective so there is time for that player to return to the fight before you go and get involved.

As for attacking healers, IMO, that is not always the best option. In fact, for myself as a Sage/Sorc, it is often the last option.

In a response to a question a while back for how people prioritize targets in the PvP forums, I wrote this (see spoiler). It may be wrong for what most people think of a Sage/Sorc, but it feels like the right play style for me.

Ok, from a assumed "bad" sage (since I always hit mid pack on the final numbers)

For a general rule, I tend to stay away from DoTs on a healer since it is fairly easy to drop those during a standard self healing rotation. I'd much rather DoT up the rest of the team to keep the healers attention focused on a group losing health rather then their own. It's easy to heal one person, hard to heal 8.

This is general for nearly all the warzones. Some specifics to certain warzones are below.

Alderaan / Voidstar:

Priority on Offense = high health targets. Killing a low health target often allows a steady stream of higher health players to keep entering the fight and stopping any attempts at a cap.

Priority on Defense = Low health targets. This is when you want a steady stream of players entering the fight and being able to focus them easier.

Special situations - capped points - Will attempt to slow/stop any sort of ranged or healers that are moving to a new cap or when they are attempting to enforce a location my team is going after. Priority to healers, then ranged, then melee. Most melee have a tendency to get right up in the middle of everything and are often the easiest to focus on so I try and let them run pass to get instantly focused.

Hypergate:

I often find myself blindly casting here keeping an eye on our node to sprint if there is need for help.

If there is someone running an orb to our pyre, I will switch up and try to keep an eye on the healers and try to force them into LoS on any target they may be healing. If they are standing on the right and healing on the right, I'll stand in at a point to make them move left in order to LoS me and so on.

For the most part, it is all interrupt duty when in the center of hypergate.

Novare Coast:

This is a simple be in the way for any movement to another node. Priority goes to anyone that attempts to enforce a node we are attacking or one that we control. I'm not looking to kill these people, just slow them up for my team to get reorganized and catch up. I don't often get involved in caps either. I will watch for any incoming and give them something to be occupied with for a moment as my team finishes off a cap.

This is one that no specific archi-type gains priority. It is more about annoying the other team rather then killing the other team.

Huttball:

Priority goes to

Defense: 1) Tank guarding ball carrier 2) Healer healing ball carrier 3) Ball carrier . That guard is brutal with attempting to kill a ball carrier, that has to go first. Healer gets free reign as long as guard is up. Remove the guard and typically the ball carrier will drop shortly after the healer does.

Offense: 1) Anyone not focused on the ball carrier. Yup, that's right. I go after the ones that appear to have a priority on kills rather then objectives. As a Sage, I'm often seen as attempting to get into position for a pull (which in some ways, I am) However, if I can get 2+ people to follow me around like I'm the Pied Piper, then perfect. I keep a few people focused on me as my teams ball carrier walks around and put the player advantage to my team.

So, as for specific priority targets based on class type, I don't often go by that. However, take what I say for what it is worth... I rarely have the highest in damage, highest in healing, most kills, least deaths, or even highest in objective points. I run middle of the pack for nearly every warzone I do. Either I'm wrong in the way I look at my classes role in warzones, or my perceived role is just one of those that is overlooked when it comes to those final numbers.

Edited by _Kayko_

There are plenty of other threads out there regarding what you should do with your gear. I was helping a Juggernaut out yesterday that was in Tank form and spec, but had full Vindicator gear on (just did a weeks worth of warzone's to get that gear too). It's simple, look at the gear and see what set bonus best fits your class, and if you can't figure it out don't be afraid to ask.

Just wanted to point this out I've seen alot of people doing this and this guy isn't bad for going DPS rather than full tank gear people are speccing into the 16/25/0 build and using the vindicator set bonus which is the 10% healing to your health when you leap to someone and the for 4set bonus as well (can't remember which one it is) gives you more DPS but you can still tank fairly well too.

Just wanted to point this out I've seen alot of people doing this and this guy isn't bad for going DPS rather than full tank gear people are speccing into the 16/25/0 build and using the vindicator set bonus which is the 10% healing to your health when you leap to someone and the for 4set bonus as well (can't remember which one it is) gives you more DPS but you can still tank fairly well too.

We're not making this about him....but that wasn't what he was going for.

Interesting point of view Kayko. I like a lot of what you said, but I'm trying to keep this simple (target audience and all) and I'll see what I can incorporate into this.

Actually that's not a bad idea to add his points in.

Another point to add to his; if there are two defenders and one of them is stealth, don't place the guard unless you're both in combat. If a Sin in stealth guards a merc, anyone coming to the node will notice the merc is guarded and not alone. Conversly if a Jugg guards an operative, they'll see the icon at the Jugg's feet (and on his buff bar) that he's guarding someone and thus not alone. Don't advertise.

IMO, wearing dps gear in tank spec is kinda dumb.

You know, I do agree with you. The only thing I could say to this is I'm always solo queing so I feel more comfortable in dps gear than tanking gear. If I were queing with a healer all the time that would be a different story but seeing how you never know what you're going to get in a pug I feel more flexible in dps gear. But I do agree I am a drain on healers resources when trying to tank for them, especially if I'm the only 'tank' in the group. So yeah.

I wonder if there's a forum mod that could make this a sticky...

Try reporting your opening post and requesting a sticky. That may do the trick.

Edited by Ridickilis

Interesting point of view Kayko. I like a lot of what you said, but I'm trying to keep this simple (target audience and all) and I'll see what I can incorporate into this.

Oh, sorry, I didn't intend for my points in the spoiler to be a part of any sort of beginners guide to PvP. Those are very specific to the Sage/Sorc in the specific style that I play in. Some Sage/Sorcs have managed to pull off the stand and turret strat yet I have no clue how that is pulled off.

However, since stealth is not exclusive to a single class/spec, it may be something that could be added (of course that is if I am correct on this sort of assumption of how stealth should be played.) At least newer stealth class players will start to learn that exposing yourself too early is often far worse then letting someone die. Or others may understand why that stealth standing next to you just sat and watched you die in a 2v1. Though I often get it, I never expect to get help from a teammate that is stealthed near me.

Edited by _Kayko_

been playin' imp toons as much as reps this week. holy hell hole. both factions are caked with ridiculously undergeared players, most of whom don't have a clue about strat.

e.g. : in ahg, I'm on my stealth and there are 2 other stealth going to the other team's "natural" node. as soon as the other stealther gets there, he mezzes the opponent trying to cap. dude! you just announced our presence at the beginning of round one. so we're then committed to taking the node, which we do, but then lose it almost immediately because the whole other team collapses on us. stuff like that in every WZ for either faction. I'll block the natural node in CW and nobody caps. I just got out of one where the assassin left the healing merc to guard snow. unreal. lol

been playin' imp toons as much as reps this week. holy hell hole. both factions are caked with ridiculously undergeared players, most of whom don't have a clue about strat.

e.g. : in ahg, I'm on my stealth and there are 2 other stealth going to the other team's "natural" node. as soon as the other stealther gets there, he mezzes the opponent trying to cap. dude! you just announced our presence at the beginning of round one. so we're then committed to taking the node, which we do, but then lose it almost immediately because the whole other team collapses on us. stuff like that in every WZ for either faction. I'll block the natural node in CW and nobody caps. I just got out of one where the assassin left the healing merc to guard snow. unreal. lol

Most of them have no idea how to gear, they hit 50 and hit the join queue button. If you try to tell them about the recruit gear its usually met with a big ole go F*** yourself. They complain they don't have creds to put augments in, well what the hell are you doing with your time? Let me guess, standing around the fleet complaining how bad pvp is. As far as node guarding I have healers on both sides and am constantly being left to guard solo. I'm like *** really guys. The stupid medals system on pvp is the worse thing ever. People think if you aren't putting up the best epeen numbers you didn't contribute, i.e. stopping someone from capping 3 times in a row, where's the medal for that? Meh, just please be kind and get your free gear and actually listen if someone wants to give you constructive criticism.:confused:

Yes, PVP is bad. That's why I made a guide.