Seer PVE Healing after 1.2: A Guide

Onager

Purpose:

After the transition to 1.2, our class is changed. Nerfed, basically. And without focusing on the politics and intrigue accompanying that fact, it seems as though a lot of Seer healers are somewhat lost as to what to do to compensate for the changes. Luckily for you miserable fools (:tran_grin:) I'm here to step in to help you rewire your brain around the nerfs in a way that will show you that in fact, stuff simply isn't as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be, in PVE specifically. That said, please keep your feedback to the guide itself and how it can be improved. This is as much for you guys as it is for me, and there's some contributors out there that are more progressed than I am that can freely comment on the veracity of my claims. Go to town! But keep whining about the nerfs themselves out of this thread, please.

Target Audience: I'm writing this guide with the Novice to Intermediate endgame PVE healer in mind, those that are working their way through Tier 1 content and are still gearing up for Nightmare Operations and dipping their feet into Tier 2.

Street Cred:

First and foremost, I don't have a great deal of credentials other than being 10/10 on both tier 1 hard mode operations, and having played several MMOs well in every role conceivable and been an active forum poster on several boards (Infares on LOTRO.com, FFXIVCore.com, titanquest.net, the original Chronicles of Spellborn site (RIP :tran_frown:); Intangir and later Ekeln/Kack on the WoW boards, and too many damn places to count. The big problem with my progression is I tend to gravitate to more social/casual guilds with people I've been playing with for a long time so the pacing isn't balls-out. And I'm okay with that, if you guys are. What I bring to the table is an analytical eye, pretty good (sic) English skills for someone without a degree, and liberal use of colorful and imaginative analogies, which may or may not find a place in this specific piece. If your credentials in this game and others outrank mine, still read it and comment by all means, but understand that most of the people whambulancing about the death of our class probably aren't as good as you are.

Guide starts here:

As for my take on the changes, I'll summarize and wrap up this preface as follows: We are no longer a single-resource healer. We are now a dual-resource healer. This is the core of our resource mechanic now, like it or not, and learning how to be more observant of our health totals in addition to our force pools will be the difference between succeeding and failing as we move forward with the content.

Barebones stuff: In the beginning

Welcome to Seer Healing in 1.2! The community thanks you for your contribution, no matter how much they insist otherwise! Let's get down to brass tacks.

The Build:

32/7/2 High Crit

I define 'High Crit' as ~35%+ after Agent buff and Companion affection. I consider 40% crit total to be soft cap, since that's when you're guaranteed to crit with Force Potency + Deliverance.

32/7/2 Low Crit

This is the one for those with lower than 35% buffed crit.

There are quite a few viable alternatives to these two, that are up to personal preference, but I consider these two to be the best.

Priority Flowchart for 1.2 Seer Healing:

1. Before the fight, Force Armor everyone and Meditate.
  2. Are you unfortunately in the interrupt rotation? If so, Mind Snap as necessary, reserving the right to make known your protests for having been reduced to doing so. Otherwise;
  3. Does the fight have a stacking cleansable debuff mechanic? If so, Restoration. Otherwise;
  4. Does tank have Force Imbalanced debuff? If no, Force Armor. Otherwise;
  5. Does tank have Force Shelter? If not, Rejuvenate. Otherwise;
  6. Do you have Resplendence, and your health is over 95% and/or your Force is 50 or more points below max? Noble Sacrifice. Otherwise;
  7. AE Damage of any kind affecting 2 or more players? Conveyance > Salvation, placed where you can benefit from it as well. If you've freshly placed Rejuvenate on the tank and you need Conveyance, hit yourself, an offtank, or one of the melees who routinely take damage with it just for the proc.
  8. Someone need healing? Triage time!
    • Green (Minor)
      : Tank? Wait for yellow. You or a DPS? You and they should stand in Salvation to heal/pewpew. Heroes before Herps.™ I strongly advise going wherever your Salvation needs to be and stand in it. If damage is somewhat continual, Rejuvenate.

• Yellow (Moderate)
      : Force Armor > Rejuvenate > Healing Trance. Refer to no. 6 above for general Resplendence guidelines. Deliverance filler as necessary.

• Red (Severe)
      : If the burst healing phase is predictable, have Salvation down on the tank first. Pop a relic. Force Armor before the relic if it's Crit/Surge or Alacrity, after if it's Power. Force Potency > Deliverance x2 > Rejuvenate > Healing Trance. Wait till you're back to Yellow to spend your Resplendences, unless you're about to cast another Conveyed Healing Trance or Resplendence will fall off without being spent.

[*]Does the fight have some kind of hard-to-avoid AE mechanic or one where the boss targets people at random? Force Armor whenever Force Imbalanced falls off.

A note on Benevolence: Benevolence is now (as before) pretty situational. Basically, the only time it really works is if you're in a Red rotation and the player in question won't live to see the first Deliverance for whatever reason, either your other healer is dead or out of range, etc. In this particular case, the rotation for best burst healing would be to have Salvation down if possible, relic/adrenals, Force Armor (before Relic/Adrenals if Crit/Surge or Alacrity, after if Power), Rejuvenate > Benevolence > Healing Trance > Deliverance filler. This is a pretty rare occurrence, most of the time you can get through the vast majority of boss encounters without so much as touching Benevolence, but it's a good thing to know in the tiny percentage of cases where it comes in handy. Benevolence loses out on HPS and HPF vs both Deliverance and Healing Trance in pretty much all cases.

Force Management: Back to the two resource thing. :tran_frown: Things have changed for us. You now have to watch not only the Red Bars, and the mechanics of the fight breaking loose around you, and that DPS or other healer that's standing in the red circle of 'Don't stand here FFS', and your Force Bar, but also your own health bar as well. Here's some handy protips:

• If your health gets too high, (90% to 95% or higher) use Noble Sacrifice whether you have Resplendence up or not, just be wary of going over two stacks. It seems counterproductive, but you should be trying not to be at 100% health, as this represents an untapped resource.
  • In the event of stacking Noble Sacrifice without Resplendence, generally I stay at one stack and let that stack fall off before using Noble Sacrifice without Resplendence again. At 50% Force, I bring it up to two stacks instead, and again, wait for those stacks to drop before refreshing. I personally feel that 2 stacks is the absolute max you should sit at, since our native regen is more significant due to the general slowing of our healing pace.
  • Triage section above applies to you, too.
  • You're not alone. You don't have to bear the burden of your resource mechanic by yourself, especially if your other healer hero homey is doing fine on his resource or has a free heal to toss your direction, it significantly eases your usage of Noble Sacrifice.
  • Basic common sense stuff, but if you're at full health when you throw down Salvation, Noble Sacrifice first so you have something to heal.
  • Noble Sacrifice is always a net gain in force, although triple and quad stacking of the Noble Sacrifice debuff puts you in a position where Noble Sacrifice itself becomes your regen and you better have some beefy healing income to compensate. This is more practical in 16-player content than it is in the rest, however, and great caution needs to be observed in its application.

Overhealing. This is the concept of wasting resources healing someone for more health than they needed. For all the comments I make in this guide about us being a dual resource healer and how to properly manage Force, if you're overhealing a lot on your single target heals, all this talk of force economy is basically for naught. You eventually develop a feel for how much you can heal for with a given heal.

If you don't trust your feelings on that, a simple equation is to find out what actual increase to your base healing comes from your crit/surge by taking your surge multi and dividing it by 100, then multiply that by your raid buffed crit chance. That number is the actual average amount your heals are increased by your crit/surge combined. In my case, my Surge multiplier is 77%, and my crit chance raid buffed and stimmed is 40%. [77/100]*40=30.8, so my crit/surge combined multiply the noncrit base healing of my heals by 1.308 on average. If you're calculating Benevolence or Healing Trance under Conveyance or Deliverance under Force Potency, make sure to take their increased crit chances into account during these calculations.

You then multiply your noncrit base healing amount by that number to find the rough estimate of how much you can expect that heal to be good for on average to avoid overhealing. For example, my Healing Trance buffed but not stimmed heals for 938 a tick, or 4908 average across four ticks after being multiplied by 1.308, without Conveyance. With Conveyance it heals for 5630 average across all four ticks. So if I was going to Trance someone with Conveyance, I'd optimally wait until they were about 6k health down before doing it to avoid overhealing. Even with lucky crits the chance of overhealing him and how much I do overheal is much lower than if I just launched into Trance at the sight of a dropping bar.

Gearing: Most of your equipment at endgame that's designed for healers specifically (Including set gear) is going to have a lot of power/alacrity enhancements. Personally, I ended up keeping the alacrity enhancements in two of my pieces and dropping the rest for crit/surge and power/surge enhancements (The latter of which comes from Columni Smuggler gloves.).

I ended up retaining about 5% alacrity. The reason for dropping alacrity is that our resource is now limited like it wasn't before, having fatter heals and more/better crits will slow down our healing pace without necessarily harming our throughput that badly, which in turn will allow for native Force regeneration to play a slightly heavier role in a typical Operations boss fight that we used to cover up with Resplendence abuse. The other reason being that our emergency burst heal is now Force Armor which is and always has been instant. We're not really what you go looking for if you're looking for massive burst healing single-target. Our healing is more AoE-centric and sustained, especially while min/maxing our resource.

That being said, striking a somewhat even balance between all three of Crit, Surge, and Alacrity with Power everywhere else would be a fair tradeoff, as this way you avoid hitting Diminishing Returns on your ratings for which it may apply.

Additionally, for Columni (and Rakata) tier gear, the Armorings for a specific slot are interchangeable without disrupting the set bonus, and because the daily lockout has been removed from Hard Mode Flashpoints, you have more flexibility in gearing yourself. Personally, I'd switch any Force User armorings with Resolve ones for the same slot (By getting both the Force Mystic and Force Master piece for a given slot and mixing/matching the best combinations of components), and also work on replacing one piece of either your Head, Chest, or Legs slot with an Augmented Custom-quality crafted piece, as well as your light saber/vibrosword. You don't necessarily need to swap out the Mods for the ones with the highest willpower, as the amount of power or crit on the lower Willpower ones is enough to compensate, as long as you're not hitting DR on Crit.

When you start getting Campaign gear, you can replace every one of them with the Custom piece of your choice, including augment slots on your Chest, Head, and Leg slots as well as potentially your wrists/belt (If you're a Synthweaver), and accessories. The only reason we don't do this with Columni/Rakata equipment is primarily because the new mechanic of set bonuses being grandfathered over to the Custom piece with the armoring only applies to Tier 2.1 equipment and beyond.

Stat priority is Willpower over Endurance in terms of primary stats, and Power > Crit/Surge > Alacrity on the secondaries.

Changelog:

• 4/23/12 Found a discrepancy in my Triage priority thanks to Aurojiin.
  • 4/24/12 Added notes/clarifications about the build (Aurojiin, Gruddy) and Consumption/Noble Sacrifice always being a net gain in force (Daellia). Added section on Campaign gear. Fixed some of my custom Englishin' on some *****.
  • 4/26/12 Finally caved on the Telekinetic Defense thing, including a low crit and a high crit build. Stopped being a moron about the wording on the Triage section, resulting in a significant amount of deep cleansing thereof.
  • 4/27/12 Dropped minimum number of damaged targets for Salvation/Revivification down to 2 instead of 3 due to finally getting around to working out the math on its HPF under Conveyance. (XtremJedi )
  • 4/29/12 Adding notes about Benevolence usage and overhealing. (schmidtyfi)

That's about it. Feel free to comment on and/or criticize my work, and if you point something out that can be blatantly improved upon, I'm not too big for my britches to edit it in while giving you proper credit for making it better.

Edited by Onager

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great break down, a lot of people seem to fail at the NS game. Just an added side note for PVP, do not bother unless you have Guard and a good team to back you up. With no one to guard you, you are just going to get frustrated and waffle stomped.

Great break down, a lot of people seem to fail at the NS game. Just an added side note for PVP, do not bother unless you have Guard and a good team to back you up. With no one to guard you, you are just going to get frustrated and waffle stomped.

Thx man. Yeah I think what you just said pretty much applies to all healers in the current state of the game in PVP.

Also woot, instasticky!

Edited by Onager

"uncomfortable" would be a mild representation of how I feel about 1/2 in Telekinetic Defense. Our bubble is reasonably efficient and has considerable utility in a variety of circumstance; 10% extra absorption is nothing to sneeze at.

The one thing that I'm not entirely sure about is this line, for "Yellow Alert": "If your health is below 80% and your force is above 75%, Deliverance." Healing Trance heals more per force point than Deliverance even if Deliverance has Conveyance and HT does not. Obviously Deliverance provides much higher healing per second, but if you're a situation that I would describe as yellow alert, efficiency seems more important. I only really consider Deliverance when HT is on cooldown, or when I need to drop a healing bomb on a single target, so to speak.

I would also say that in certain circumstances, one shouldn't be afraid to drop Salvation even without the requisite 4+ targets. If you're in, say, a specific boss phase where you know the tank will be taking a considerable amount of damage, pre-dropping Salvation under him to provide a buffer while you cast your strongest single-target rotation can do a lot to counter our lack of burst healing ability (since the changes to Conveyance).

Edited by Aurojiin

"uncomfortable" would be a mild representation of how I feel about 1/2 in Telekinetic Defense. Our bubble is reasonably efficient and has considerable utility in a variety of circumstance; 10% extra absorption is nothing to sneeze at.

The one thing that I'm not entirely sure about is this line, for "Yellow Alert": "If your health is below 80% and your force is above 75%, Deliverance." Healing Trance heals more per force point than Deliverance even if Deliverance has Conveyance and HT does not. Obviously Deliverance provides much higher healing per second, but if you're a situation that I would describe as yellow alert, efficiency seems more important. I only really consider Deliverance when HT is on cooldown, or when I need to drop a healing bomb on a single target, so to speak.

I would also say that in certain circumstances, one shouldn't be afraid to drop Salvation even without the requisite 4+ targets. If you're in, say, a specific boss phase where you know the tank will be taking a considerable amount of damage, pre-dropping Salvation under him to provide a buffer while you cast your strongest single-target rotation can do a lot to counter our lack of burst healing ability (since the changes to Conveyance).

Excellent points, thanks.

Using my own character as the template, I have just under 40% crit chance and 77% multiplier when raid buffed.

Healing Trance costs 37 force and casts over 2.85 seconds. So under Conveyance:

65% chance for me to crit, for 177% of its original heal of 938 base, 1664 on a crit (On my pet, which has no incoming bonus), for an overall bonus of 150.05% of base, 1412 average a tick x4 equals 5647 total over 2.85 seconds, for 1981 heal per second, 153 heal per force.

Without conveyance: 1227 average, x4 ticks is 4908, 1722 HPS, 133 HPF

Deliverance under Conveyance costs 34 force and casts over 2.37 seconds.

3029-3174 base, 5361-5618 crit, 40% chance to crit so 130.08% of base which averages out to 4057 over 2.37 seconds for 1711 heal per second, 119 heal per force.

Without Conveyance costs 51 force instead, 1711 HPS, 80 HPF

So yeah, it's conclusive, except when under the effects of Force Potency, Healing Trance is a better use of Conveyance than Deliverance. You're right, I'm wrong, gonna change the guide. They may scale slightly differently with gear upgrades but I don't think those differences would ever cause Deliverance to overtake Trance as the best heal to cast when under Conveyance.

In my defense that section of the guide was basically written before 1.2 and I hadn't worked out the math on how well it had stood the test of time afterwards, I assumed the main change was no more double dipping Conveyances on Deliverance, I should've put some more time into that. I greatly appreciate you finding that for me, though! :tran_default:

As for whether or not to take the points out of Telekinetic Defense to make the points for 2/2 Valiance, like I said that's totally up to personal taste, that extra point can come from virtually anywhere and the build itself is otherwise completely intact. I took the idea for that from some theorycrafting that was going on over on the Sorc forum. Most sources seemed to agree that Pain Bearer and Wisdom were pretty significant in conjunction with Valiance to mitigate the extra health lost to NS.

As for Salvation use, it's really easy to get 3 targets that are taking damage. Like, the tank and two Sage healers, all 3 are guaranteed to be taking damage at all times, so feel free to throw it down on cooldown.

I should run the HPS and HPF of Salvation on 1, 2, 3 etc targets.

Edited by Onager

As for Salvation use, it's really easy to get 3 targets that are taking damage. Like, the tank and two Sage healers, all 3 are guaranteed to be taking damage at all times, so feel free to throw it down on cooldown.

I should run the HPS and HPF of Salvation on 1, 2, 3 etc targets.

Very true. My point was more a reference to my own experience; for a while, I became locked in this mentality of never dropping Salvation unless I had at least four targets. That being said, even when not mathematically the most efficient choice it still has functional applications. As always, YMMV.

Only other note is that, sadly, set bonuses are not transferable with armourings on tier 1 gear, only on the new tier 2 (Campaign) gear :(

For reference, here is my spec. You'll note I have Pain Bearer at only 1/2. In general I'm just a big fan of passive buff talents, so I weigh the trade-off between Valiance and Pain Bearer. Let's say you're a Rakata-geared Seer, and for argument's sake you have 18k health.

NS with 1/2 Valiance = 2,340 health lost

NS with 2/2 Valiance = 1,980 health lost

So a 360 health difference. So over the average time from one NS to the next, you'd have to receive at least 9,000 in base incoming healing for Pain Bearer to pull ahead. As always, the disclaimer stands that I could be missing something quite obvious, or just plain old doin' it wrong.

If tactics such as standing in Salvation are actually resulting in you overhealing your losses, though, you could certainly pull points from Valiance.

Edited by Aurojiin

Very true. My point was more a reference to my own experience; for a while, I became locked in this mentality of never dropping Salvation unless I had at least four targets. That being said, even when not mathematically the most efficient choice it still has functional applications. As always, YMMV.

Yargh. I always sought to stick Salvation with 3 targets, however if your force is high there's no problem being deliberately inefficient, such as when you're soloing the Assassin in the Duel of the Fates, keeping up Rejuv and Bubble and Healing Trancing occasionally is enough healing to burn the guy down before he can do the same to you. There's also times when soloing heroics where you keep Qyzen up with double hots (Rejuv and Salv) and bubble and just DPS otherwise.

Only other note is that, sadly, set bonuses are not transferable with armourings on tier 1 gear, only on the new tier 2 (Campaign) gear :(
This irks me. If they're going to do this they should unlink armorings from specific slots, since they don't carry the set boni with them. :tran_frown:

For reference, here is my spec. You'll note I have Pain Bearer at only 1/2. In generally I'm just a big fan of passive buff talents, so I weigh the trade-off between Valiance and Pain Bearer. Let's say you're a Rakata-geared Seer, and for argument's sake you have 18k health.

NS with 1/2 Valiance = 2,340 health lost

NS with 2/2 Valiance = 1,980 health lost

So a 360 health difference. So over the average time from one NS to the next, you'd have to receive at least 9,000 in base incoming healing for Pain Bearer to pull ahead. As always, the disclaimer stands that I could be missing something quite obvious, or just plain old doin' it wrong.

If tactics such as standing in Salvation are actually resulting in you overhealing your losses, though, you could certainly pull points from Valiance.

I think painbearer is more important than Valiance point for point, you're going to be taking healing for the whole fight, no matter where the damage (or healing) came from, and 4% healing income per point that applies globally to every source to me trumps spending 2% less per point on Noble Sac. Valiance only helps when you're using Noble Sac, Painbearer helps with every point healed from every source of damage including but not limited to Noble Sac, and every source of healing including fun stuff like Zen and Slow Release Medpack. See my logic? If those are your choices, IMO the clear choice is to keep 2/2 Painbearer and go 1/2 Valiance. In my case, I wanted both :3. Again, I might have to do some maffs but in this particular instance I think I'm right.

Edited by Onager

I think painbearer is more important than Valiance point for point, you're going to be taking healing for the whole fight, no matter where the damage (or healing) came from, and 4% healing income per point that applies globally to every source to me trumps spending 2% less per point on Noble Sac. Valiance only helps when you're using Noble Sac, Painbearer helps with every point healed from every source of damage including but not limited to Noble Sac, and every source of healing including fun stuff like Zen and Slow Release Medpack. See my logic? If those are your choices, IMO the clear choice is to keep 2/2 Painbearer and go 1/2 Valiance. In my case, I wanted both :3. Again, I might have to do some maffs but in this particular instance I think I'm right.

I certainly understand your reasoning. Ultimately, though, I would argue that Pain Bearer vs Valiance comes down the specifics of the encounter.

If you're solo questing, Pain Bearer is undeniably superior, because virtually no fight will ever last long enough to deplete your force pool, and you can forgo NS entirely. Healing ops... I would say it depends on the mechanics. If there's a lot of raid-wide or random damage mechanics, Pain Bearer may well end up being superior. If it's tank n' spank, or just melee unfriendly (Bioware loves this approach), NS could well be your primary source of incoming damage. I suppose you could make the argument, though, that you could more easily forgo the benefit of Valiance because the cost of NS is always a known variable that you can manage.

I think the tactic most sage healers are going with to surmount the challenges presented by 1.2 is more like...

"Don't play broken ineffective class" and in some casses "Play different game".

Inb4 delete + warning and or ban.

I certainly understand your reasoning. Ultimately, though, I would argue that Pain Bearer vs Valiance comes down the specifics of the encounter.

If you're solo questing, Pain Bearer is undeniably superior, because virtually no fight will ever last long enough to deplete your force pool, and you can forgo NS entirely. Healing ops... I would say it depends on the mechanics. If there's a lot of raid-wide or random damage mechanics, Pain Bearer may well end up being superior. If it's tank n' spank, or just melee unfriendly (Bioware loves this approach), NS could well be your primary source of incoming damage. I suppose you could make the argument, though, that you could more easily forgo the benefit of Valiance because the cost of NS is always a known variable that you can manage.

It's like I said though, my proposed build has both 2/2 Valiance and 2/2 Painbearer, at the cost of 10% of Force Armor (Which actually works out to less than 10% cuz the second point is still based on the base amount rather than the total).

How would you feel about dropping your crit down a percent to allow for both instead of Telekinetic Defense? This is a build-centric thing though, if you're hitting 40% with lucky shots with only two points in Penetrating Light, then that's clearly the optimal place to be pulling points from IMO.

I think the tactic most sage healers are going with to surmount the challenges presented by 1.2 is more like...

"Don't play broken ineffective class" and in some casses "Play different game".

Inb4 delete + warning and or ban.

:tran_frown:

Edited by Onager

It's like I said though, my proposed build has both 2/2 Valiance and 2/2 Painbearer, at the cost of 10% of Force Armor (Which actually works out to less than 10% cuz the second point is still based on the base amount rather than the total).

How would you feel about dropping your crit down a percent to allow for both instead of Telekinetic Defense? This is a build-centric thing though, if you're hitting 40% with lucky shots with only two points in Penetrating Light, then that's clearly the optimal place to be pulling points from IMO.

I... can't disagree. Personally I'm just irrationally in love with passive buffs. I want to caress them at night and whisper sweet nothings in their ear. I just can't help it.

But nonetheless, for what it's worth I think pulling a point from Penetrating Light would certainly be worth it to keep Telekinetic Defense at 2/2, if you're breathing down the neck of 40% crit chance.

I should say thank you for your work, at any rate. When I started out healing with my Sage, I basically got started entirely on the approach from your original flowchart.

Edited by Aurojiin

I've been working on an analysis of Force Regain for Sages/Sorcs which I've now posted in the Healing Forum for all to access. I would welcome any feedback people have to that - and perhaps some of he work I've done there will help to inform good play advice for guides such as this.

X

I checked it out, X, and I tend to think that you don't really need a hard and fast rule of thumb or specific technique. As long as you don't let your health hit 100% and use Healing Trance/Innervate as your primary heal, you'll be fine. Keeping you alive is also your own and your other healer's priority, so if your NS/Consumption use gets to where it's taking a significant toll on your health, it's a pretty simple matter of correcting it. Either you'll look over at the raid frame and notice your health dipping or the other healer will. It's not like you need to do this every time you NS, though, probably twice a fight.

I certainly think it's reasonable that you don't necessarily use a 'hard and fast rule'. But if you're making choices about what to cast in order to regain force - then quite a lot of the options that have been suggested in these forums actually bring little or no benefit, even though people seem to think that they do.

My post is intended to narrow down the available options, so that players can make informed choices - if they so desire. :)

After being asked by somebody to come up with a steady-state rotation based on the most optimal force regain approach, I came up with one and posted it into that thread. Although I obviously don't think that healing should have a fixed rotation... nor do I think that such a rotation could cover all eventualities, it's nevertheless a good starting point upon which to base your playstyle choices.

My aim is only to inform.

X

I certainly think it's reasonable that you don't necessarily use a 'hard and fast rule'. But if you're making choices about what to cast in order to regain force - then quite a lot of the options that have been suggested in these forums actually bring little or no benefit, even though people seem to think that they do.

My post is intended to narrow down the available options, so that players can make informed choices - if they so desire. :)

After being asked by somebody to come up with a steady-state rotation based on the most optimal force regain approach, I came up with one and posted it into that thread. Although I obviously don't think that healing should have a fixed rotation... nor do I think that such a rotation could cover all eventualities, it's nevertheless a good starting point upon which to base your playstyle choices.

My aim is only to inform.

X

Good job with the thread. Most of that info is pretty much already baked into the guide though. :tran_default:

Good job with the thread. Most of that info is pretty much already baked into the guide though. :tran_default:

It kind of misses the most important results of the testing and theory though doesn't it? Such as:

• that the AoE method of force regain is fine to use, even if you're only healing yourself with it. You should try to heal the tank too, but you don't have to for it to make sense. You certainly don't need to specifically wait until 3 people need healing in order to use it for regain. It's a force positive move that's way better than idling - and the absolute best of the best I've found so far.

• You recommend 1 stack of NS without resplendence - but as far as I know, there is no situation in which a single stack of NS without resplendence produces a real benefit compared to idling. It would perhaps be better to say that you should stand and do nothing, rather than build up a stack of NS without resplendence (except when using one of the 2 NS force regain approaches in my thread)

• you include suggesting using Rejuvenate to heal NS damage, which is actually counter-productive for force regain - you'd have been better off idling for the NS/Rej GCDs.

• You also recommend managing your own Health as a resource including healing it later - which is counter-productive unless you have somebody else healing you... or you're using one of the few approaches that works. It's not specific enough and could lead people into bad habits

I'm sure that the guide will work and that people following it would be successful. I'm sure that you yourself are successful using that approach. But I think that it is worthwhile for a guide to strive to offer the best possible advice. And based on the work I've done, your guide doesn't do that right now.

X

that the AoE method of force regain is fine to use, even if you're only healing yourself with it. You should try to heal the tank too, but you don't have to for it to make sense. You certainly don't need to specifically wait until 3 people need healing in order to use it for regain. It's a force positive move that's way better than idling - and the absolute best of the best I've found so far.
We'll hit this one up after the next bullet-point.[*]

You recommend 1 stack of NS without resplendence - but as far as I know, there is no situation in which a single stack of NS without resplendence produces a real benefit compared to idling. It would perhaps be better to say that you should stand and do nothing, rather than build up a stack of NS without resplendence (except when using one of the 2 NS force regain approaches in my thread)

NS/Consumption are always force positive.

Unmodified Base 8/sec

1 stack/1 GCD 48 or 52 with 4 piece bonus, 20 lost over 10 seconds due to reduced regen, net gain 2.8 or 3.2 force/second

2 stacks/2 GCDs 96 or 104 with 4 piece bonus, 2 lost for the first GCD and 40 lost for the 10 seconds thereafter for a net loss of 42 over 11.5 seconds, net gain of 4.7 or 5.4 force/second

3 stacks/3 GCDs 144 or 156 with 4 piece bonus, 2 lost for the first GCD, 4 lost for each of the following 2, 60 lost for the 10 seconds thereafter for a net loss of 70 over 13 seconds, net gain of 5.7 or 6.6 force/second

4 stacks/4 GCDs 192 or 208 with 4 piece bonus, 2 lost for the first GCD, 4 lost for each of the following 2, 6 lost for fourth, 80 lost for the 10 seconds thereafter for a net loss of 96 over 14.5 seconds, net gain of 6.6 or 7.7 force/second

Above figures assume your GCD ends up straddling the tick interval. You can save 2 force on the first and third stack with lucky timing.

Subsequent uses simply add 48-52 force at the cost of another 1.5 seconds added to the debuff, highly dependent on healing income but essentially shuts you down for the following 10 seconds unless you're in a 16-person operation and really need force badly and your slack can be taken up by the 3 other healers.

With this in mind, you're essentially advocating double stacking NS while standing in Salvation. Which I do as well, if you actually paid attention to the OP. The reason for single stacking it is because the 3rd resource we deal with is our global cooldown. NS costs not only health, not only (potentially) 20 force over the following ten seconds, but also a GCD during which you're not healing. Our healing is slow enough that if you followed my advice and dropped alacrity for more power and crit/surge, you end up not having to NS as much because the heals you do cast are more functional.

You're nitpicking singular concepts within the guide without taking the entirety of it as a whole. When used in totem, yes, everything you wasted hours figuring out for your guide is present, accounted for, and basically improved upon in mine, without having to make it seem like it's forced, and without me having to go into other peoples' guides and link to mine (four times in two guides, actually :tran_frown:) even where it's appropriate.

*As for Salvation on just you: It costs a lot of force. It's also okay to cast without three damaged targets if it won't impose force issues in so doing. I mentioned that earlier in this thread or possibly the sorcerer one as well.

you include suggesting using Rejuvenate to heal NS damage, which is actually counter-productive for force regain - you'd have been better off idling for the NS/Rej GCDs.

Rejuvenate also gives Conveyance and Force Shelter. It's not always just about the healing. Chances are if Rejuvenate's off cooldown, you were going to need Conveyance anyways. Idling doesn't give you conveyance. Conveyance > Healing Trance is still our best HPF and HPS we're capable of single-target outside of Force Potency > Deliverance x2, showed the math on that in this very thread.

You also recommend managing your own Health as a resource including healing it later - which is counter-productive unless you have somebody else healing you... or you're using one of the few approaches that works. It's not specific enough and could lead people into bad habits

It's not counterproductive. You as a healer are tasked with maintaining the health of your parties and operations. This includes your own health. Even when not taking a lot of damage, generally with proactive NS use and maintaining optimal force economy, Salvation and the occasional Rejuv on yourself are generally good enough by themselves to maintain you. IN cases where your rotation has had to go force-negative and you've taken some damage, it doesn't matter where that damage came from, whether it came from you or Bonethrasher or your mother-in-law, self preservation is number 2 on your list of priorities after maintaining the tank(s) (#1 on the list of priorities during Bonethrasher specifically. :p). Ergo, you heal yourself. You don't think about it, you do it. It doesn't matter if you think of it as an inefficient usage of your resources. You yourself are a resource, and you don't heal jack-all if you're dead. The triage section in my guide applies to everyone in the group, including yourself, no exceptions.

I'm sure that the guide will work and that people following it would be successful. I'm sure that you yourself are successful using that approach. But I think that it is worthwhile for a guide to strive to offer the best possible advice. And based on the work I've done, your guide doesn't do that right now.

You would be incorrect. Your guide is basically the overscientific Rube Goldberg approach to force management. You expect people to adhere to a 20 second rotation while healing. This is impossible, for several reasons that I won't bother to explain because if you heal it makes sense. There's a lot of things a good healer has to watch, and their rotation (other than the basic guidelines I laid out) shouldn't have to be one of them, especially for 20 seconds at a time. Instead, they can watch their bars and during dips/lulls in necessary throughput, they can maintain their own force and health bars. No specific technique or rotation required.

Summary: Healing is more of a script than an equation. Your guide, for all the time you put into it (which I praised earlier for lack of anything else positive to say about it, was trying to be nice) doesn't really accomplish much that 'Watch your damn bars, cast stuff with the best HPF possible whenever you can, stand in your own Salvation. It's okay to heal yourself if you get too low.' doesn't state far more succinctly and accurately. Hell, I could've distilled my entire guide down to that sentence, but then it wouldn't have been a guide any more, so I showed what is the best HPF stuff you can cast along with what to watch out for, and helped with people's force management in a way that ebbs and flows along with the chaotic conditions of combat rather than giving them 3 free GCDs every 20 seconds and otherwise making them adhere to a rigid structural healing method that doesn't take the environment or specific contextual information about a fight's mechanics or group into account.

Edited by Onager

OK. It's clear you don't agree. I feel like you're taking this as an attack - when it really isn't. Your Priority List and Triage section are fine, apart from the thing about always needing to heal 3 people with the AoE. Build and Equipment suggestions make sense. I understand your approach and wouldn't argue with it. But understandably, it's the force management section, which I feel my research could contribute most to. And my intention really is to improve - not to attack you or deny your experience or anything like that.

You suggest certain casting patterns and tactics and so do I. So you suggest Bubble > HoT > Channel for your yellow alert... and others for Red and Green alert. And for power management, I suggest

1) 'HoT > AoE > NS > NS' for best force regain and most benefit compared to idling.

2) 'NS > NS > HoT self > Deliverance self' for more self-targeted medium regain (but takes up lots of time and uses healing CDs on yourself)

3) 'Channel Proc > NS > HoT self' for bad regain (+11) - but very mobile and quick to cast.

Even if these casts are separated in time and perhaps with other casts between them, these are the patterns that will really benefit you. For example, in number (3), it doesn't matter whether you cast the channel a time beforehand - what matters is that you use the NS on a Resplendence Proc and then HoT yourself. You don't gain much overall (+11) and you're still losing the AC buff and HoT CD to yourself... but it's quick and mobile, which is sometimes necessary.

Indeed, as you have spotted - we both agree on the main point; that the best approach to force management is to use HoT > AoE and use 2 stacks of NS within the AoE, the AoE healing you. In fact, we nearly agree on the other points too... it's really just a minor disagreement - but an important one. All I'm saying is that some of the other things that you have suggested as being good for force management, actually perhaps aren't so good overall.

I'll just clarify a couple of your points - but I promise not to continue with an argument about this, since it's clear that you're not open to the approach - or possibly you haven't really understood some of the ideas (or perhaps really read through the thread). I'll leave it to others to evaluate for themselves.

Here's the few points I would make:

1) I don't expect people to stick to a rotation - I expect the absolute opposite really, especially if you're to have any fun. Indeed, I said that very clearly earlier in this exchange and elsewhere. And as I say, I think your priority list and triage is OK - maybe not entirely my playstyle - but it's good. But within that, you should be aware of tactics that may seem beneficial but are actually counter-productive in force management - and it's that Force Management section of your guide that I have most issues with.

The main post in my force management thread is designed to work out what works and doesn't work in force regain - and that is the information I'm using. It has nothing to do with 'fixed rotations'

2) Salvation doesn't cost a lot of force when used just on yourself, if you're using the HoT > AOE > NS > NS pattern. The nett result is a considerable gain in force. It does not matter how many people get healed by it, casting this chain will be greatly force positive. I don't really advocate using this just on yourself, you should at the very least strive to include others in the AoE... but even used just on yourself,it will still give you a nett gain in force and a massive gain in force compared to idling.

3) I said that there was no 'real benefit' to using a single stack of NS without resplendence... not that it couldn't be force positive. The problem is that if you use a regain method with a single stack - and heal yourself (immediately or later), then you end up overall with either negative force or only very slightly positive force (compared to idling) with buffs/CDs being used on yourself rather than on others.

4) Yes, the HoT gives AC buff and conveyance, that's really my point. When using it to heal your own NS damage, you're putting the AC buff on yourself (rather than on a target you really want to have the AC buff) and you're using the CD for the HoT on yourself, rather than on somebody else. You want to use it to heal incoming damage - but if you use it to heal NS damage to yourself, then it's only a few more points gained than idling would have produced when you could have used it on another actual healing target, still have the conveyance and the AC buff would be on a useful target.

5)

it doesn't matter where that damage came from, whether it came from you or Bonethrasher or your mother-in-law, self preservation is number 2 on your list of priorities

Indeed, self-preservation is a very high priority. So then, it makes sense to only damage yourself for really good reason. The end goal of damaging yourself with NS is to end up with more force... if you damage yourself and then heal yourself, and so end up not gaining more force - then that's not a good reason for damaging yourself in the first place. If you idling for a GCD gives you as much force, then self-preservation being a high priority, you don't damage yourself nor waste the heal on yourself, when it could have gone to somebody else.

I don't know.... As I say, I feel like you're reacting as though I'm attacking your guide - and I'm really not. Apart from one tiny thing about the AoE, the priority list and triage seem fine. Most of the stuff in your build and equipping suggestions also seem OK to me. It's only the section on force management that I'm really challenging... and even then, with fairly fine points that really only add to the guide rather than in any way deeply changing it.

Why are you so defensive?

X

Edited by XtremJedi

First of all, forgive my bluntness earlier. I don't tend to mince words.

1) 'HoT > AoE > NS > NS' for best force regain and most benefit compared to idling.
That's not the best force regen. The best force regen is literally to have thousands of HPS directed at you and to be spamming NS. But that's not practical. Just the same, the force regen comes from Resplendence > Noble Sac > Noble Sac. I already advocate using Resplendence whenever your health is too high or your force is low enough to take a whole Noble Sac without capping out, and I advocate double stacking Noble Sac otherwise.

Result: Complete equality. There is no disagreement here. The only disagreement is what heals to use on yourself afterwards. I'm an HPF healer. Salvation's HPF when used on one player alone is very poor, even when used with Conveyance. This is a mathematical fact.

Secondly, I already advocate using Rejuvenate on cooldown on whoever needs it the most to bait out Conveyance procs.

2) 'NS > NS > HoT self > Deliverance self' for more self-targeted medium regain (but takes up lots of time and uses healing CDs on yourself)
Deliverance's HPF and HPCT is low compared to that of Healing Trance. Healing trance for me takes like .4 of a second longer to cast than Deliverance does, so if you're going to do this, NS > NS > Rejuv > Healing Trance > NS would net you way more force and way more health, much more efficiently. You'd do this when you were about 150 force down and had probably taken 25% of your health worth of damage prior. This is basically the concept outlined in my guide of A: Double Stacking NS, B: Triaging yourself out of the health loss, and C: Smart use of Resplendence procs otherwise. This, too, is actually agreed upon between our guides, if you'd take the time to see it. Deliverance is your filler heal only unless you have Force Potency running.

3) 'Channel Proc > NS > HoT self' for bad regain (+11) - but very mobile and quick to cast.
You seem hung up on specific combos to achieve target levels of regen. When you have a lot of force, you can afford to be inefficient, you reserve more GCDs for healing. This concept is also baked into my guide, in the sections detailing approximately what levels of health and force are appropriate for modifying your priority system to squeeze in more force regeneration. Therefore, again, this very combo is also implicitly suggested in my guide, too. Is it suggested in specific? No. This seems to be the crux of our disagreement.

I believe that getting any more specific than 'Watch your bars, NS when you have to, gear and prioritize spells according to HPF first' is outside the scope of this guide, which as outlined in the guide itself, is intended to be the most useful for brand new 50 PVE healers and those approaching the highest tier of current endgame, basically people at about my level of progression. The rest of the healers, those that have healed Nightmare modes and Hard Mode Explosive Conflict, don't really need my guide, do they? There may be something in it for them, but the vast majority of the time most likely not.

Even if these casts are separated in time and perhaps with other casts between them, these are the patterns that will really benefit you. For example, in number (3), it doesn't matter whether you cast the channel a time beforehand - what matters is that you use the NS on a Resplendence Proc and then HoT yourself. You don't gain much overall (+11) and you're still losing the AC buff and HoT CD to yourself... but it's quick and mobile, which is sometimes necessary.
Yep. But it's common sense stuff. You need force, you NS. You now need health, if someone else can't heal you any more cheaply than you can, then you do it, and you do it the most force-efficient way possible. Vicious cycle.

Indeed, as you have spotted - we both agree on the main point; that the best approach to force management is to use HoT > AoE and use 2 stacks of NS within the AoE, the AoE healing you. In fact, we nearly agree on the other points too... it's really just a minor disagreement - but an important one. All I'm saying is that some of the other things that you have suggested as being good for force management, actually perhaps aren't so good overall.
It's not an important disagreement, lol. This is probably the source of my perceived (and probably underlying) frustration with this discussion. In the end, both of our approaches are actually the same approach in which my basic guidelines and your specific combos end up being literally the same, only I lead them to the combos through logic and what to look for rather than telling them the combos when they aren't always applicable.

Being specific with healing rotations isn't necessary when doing so would strain a healer's situational awareness beyond where it needs to be. Healers already have plenty of **** to do in a given raid boss encounter.

I'll just clarify a couple of your points - but I promise not to continue with an argument about this, since it's clear that you're not open to the approach - or possibly you haven't really understood some of the ideas (or perhaps really read through the thread). I'll leave it to others to evaluate for themselves.
It's not that. There's people in YOUR thread that are agreeing with ME without even explicitly having been here to this discussion. Even you yourself have stated a lot of the stuff I'm telling you here in that thread.

Some examples:

On the topic of healing: the main reason people say that Healing Rotations are a silly concept is because healing is needed when it's needed, where it's needed. You can cook up all kinds of healing rotations, but in the end the only thing that matters is if you achieve the amount of HPS that is needed to offset the encounter's DPS (including all forms of damage done to the party during it). Based on those requirements, a healer has to be flexible and adaptive, to squeeze the most out of the resources available to make it till the end of the encounter. Those are parameters that cannot easily be caught in any rotation or formula - hence, people generally state that healing rotations are useless as they completely ignore situational and circumstantial effects which are present in any encounter.

I don't play any more, but I'd bet that this rotation can tank heal a lot of the encounters in this game and still give some AoE DPS healing alongside it. Add in a burst healing rotation for emergency situations and I'd bet that you'd be good to go for a lot of the content in the game.

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Wait, seriously? You don't even play any more? You literally haven't played a Force healer since 1.2 launched? So your entire post is napkin math and based completely on theoreticals and not practice? That explains why you think Deliverance is a better heal than Healing Trance.

1) I don't expect people to stick to a rotation - I expect the absolute opposite really, especially if you're to have any fun. Indeed, I said that very clearly earlier in this exchange and elsewhere. And as I say, I think your priority list and triage is OK - maybe not entirely my playstyle - but it's good. But within that, you should be aware of tactics that may seem beneficial but are actually counter-productive in force management - and it's that Force Management section of your guide that I have most issues with.
Pretty sure those of us who've actually healed content in 1.2 would know what is and isn't productive. I really hate to be that guy, like the grumpy uncle that says the book learnin' cain't teach ya everything, but in this particular case your grumpy uncle was right. You have 0 one-on-one time with the nerfs. The basic tenets of force conservation and prioritizing HPF as your primary factor for consideration on what heals to cast and when has been around a while.

Continued...

Edited by Onager

2) Salvation doesn't cost a lot of force when used just on yourself, if you're using the HoT > AOE > NS > NS pattern. The nett result is a considerable gain in force. It does not matter how many people get healed by it, casting this chain will be greatly force positive. I don't really advocate using this just on yourself, you should at the very least strive to include others in the AoE... but even used just on yourself,it will still give you a nett gain in force and a massive gain in force compared to idling.
HPF calculations are static and a separate entity altogether from our force regen mechanic.

Just for your benefit, I'm going to work out the HPF and HPS for Salvation. I've been meaning to do it for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

Mine ticks ten times at 389 on a target without any bonuses to healing income (689 on crits) and 423 on me (751 crit). It costs 61 force when used with Conveyance, crits 40% of the time fully raid buffed for 77% extra damage. It averages to 5088 average over 10 seconds for 509 healing per second, 83 Healing per Force for one target. Looking at the math on HT and Deliverance, being 1981 hps/153 hpf and 1711 hps/119 hpf respectively, Salvation doesn't catch them both on HPS until 3 damaged targets are benefitting, but it does overtake them in HPF on just two targets. Since this discussion is about HPF, I'll amend my guide accordingly, thanks for kicking this off.

For curiosity, for just you (assuming you're using one of the builds above) it heals 5533 average over 10 seconds for 553 healing per second, 91 HPF. A little better, but still not good enough to pay for itself like just Rejuv.

Without conveyance, though, you still need 3 damaged targets to partake in Salvation for its HPF to end up being better than Healing Trance. (56 HPF)

3) I said that there was no 'real benefit' to using a single stack of NS without resplendence... not that it couldn't be force positive. The problem is that if you use a regain method with a single stack - and heal yourself (immediately or later), then you end up overall with either negative force or only very slightly positive force (compared to idling) with buffs/CDs being used on yourself rather than on others.
This is patently false. Math doesn't lie. One stack of NS every 10 seconds is worth 3.2 force per second more than native regen. That's basically a 40% increase. There's a whole class of healers out there that mistakenly believe that Concentration is a viable talent for healers because it gives you an extra 30% increase at the cost of 3 disturbances and another every 9ish seconds, so that should tell you the value of 40%. Obviously with only a single stack of NS you're either going to heal just through Salvation or let your health sit (Remember the triage thing applying to you? Yeah, a healer not under attack at 89% health is solidly in Green territory.).

4) Yes, the HoT gives AC buff and conveyance, that's really my point. When using it to heal your own NS damage, you're putting the AC buff on yourself (rather than on a target you really want to have the AC buff) and you're using the CD for the HoT on yourself, rather than on somebody else. You want to use it to heal incoming damage - but if you use it to heal NS damage to yourself, then it's only a few more points gained than idling would have produced when you could have used it on another actual healing target, still have the conveyance and the AC buff would be on a useful target.
Healers are #2 priority. You wouldn't burn Rejuvenate on yourself until you got low enough for the entire duration to matter anyways, or to give yourself some extra overhead to NS. Regardless, you seem to think that healing healers is a low priority. It doesn't matter where the damage comes from.

5) Indeed, self-preservation is a very high priority. So then, it makes sense to only damage yourself for really good reason. The end goal of damaging yourself with NS is to end up with more force... if you damage yourself and then heal yourself, and so end up not gaining more force - then that's not a good reason for damaging yourself in the first place. If you idling for a GCD gives you as much force, then self-preservation being a high priority, you don't damage yourself nor waste the heal on yourself, when it could have gone to somebody else.
You're clearly not viewing Sages and Sorcerers as a dual resource healer. Our health is a resource, we're not 'hurting ourselves'. The damage we take from Noble Sac is totally controllable and predictable, we do more damage to our raids by not using it. Our heals are more efficient at regenerating health than Noble Sacrifice is at draining it. You can noble sac three or four times and then drop a conveyed trance on yourself and you'll end up both force and health positive. It doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things where the healing comes from, what you spend your force on, and how much you NS. The fights themselves determine those necessities. Had you healed anything after 1.2 and gotten the rhythm down, you'd understand. Had you played any class that juggled multiple resources, you'd understand.

I don't know.... As I say, I feel like you're reacting as though I'm attacking your guide - and I'm really not. Apart from one tiny thing about the AoE, the priority list and triage seem fine. Most of the stuff in your build and equipping suggestions also seem OK to me. It's only the section on force management that I'm really challenging... and even then, with fairly fine points that really only add to the guide rather than in any way deeply changing it.
I don't think you're attacking my guide, I think there are a lot of basic core concepts in my guide you simply don't understand, and that lack of understanding is coloring your judgments of it. Math doesn't lie. The conceptual validity of Sages and Sorcerers being a two-resource healer is scientifically verifiable fact. I understand you and your viewpoint perfectly fine. You're basing your research on the old model, without having wrapped your head around the reality of what we are now, because you don't play the game any more.

Why are you so defensive?
I'm defensive of facts. I'm defensive against misinterpretations and misinformation. I'm also defensive against people advertising their largely uninformed and irrelevant thread four times across both of my guides. This guide is intended to be an openly perusable resource, that teaches concepts more than specific techniques. The core concept, that we're a dual-resource healer, seems lost on you.

Updated the OP with reduced suggested target requirement on Salvation, per my HPF calculation in the above post.

Edited by Onager

Hey all :)

Onager thanks for the great guide, it really was what I needed. I've been solely pvping the past 4 months and patch 1.2 did a number on my guild's healer population so suddenly guild needs me in operations.

The second healer is a smuggler.

Please don't mind me asking for validation as your guide is very thorough but if time permits tell me if my following understanding is correct.

In general lines I should pre bubble all for boss fights and meditate . I shoudl then position myself, if favorable, near the main tank or the bulk of the team. I should research the boss related debuffs and fine tune my ability to cleanse them. I should shield the tank every chance I can. If armor buff goes down i should reapply the HOT to the tank. Finally if I'm at full health I should always use a Noble Sacrifice.

Now past this, my first reaction to a non tank person being damaged should be the shield, followed by a HOT. If mutiple people are hurt/taking damage I should Noble sacrifice, position myself assuming the start positioning has changed, and AE heal. If somone is taking sustained damage I follow the shield-HOT with my channeled heal. I then follow this with a HOT-deliverance. If for some reason the rotation is tossed off with cooldowns I spam Deliverance.

For gear concentrate on crit/surge and power/surge instead of Alacrity.

For mana regen, if a need arises, I should count on my Smuggler buddy for a heal so i can use Noble Sacrifice. If he dies and circumstance disallows a ress or he ignores healing me, my regen rotation is Bubble, Channel, HOT, AE, NS, NS, Channel, HOT, idle, idle, idle.... Bubble to restart it.

Thanks in advance whether anyone answers or not. :)

Edited by LancelotOC

Hey all :)

Onager thanks for the great guide, it really was what I needed. I've been solely pvping the past 4 months and patch 1.2 did a number on my guild's healer population so suddenly guild needs me in operations.

The second healer is a smuggler.

Please don't mind me asking for validation as your guide is very thorough but if time permits tell me if my following understanding is correct.

In general lines I should pre bubble all for boss fights and meditate . I shoudl then position myself, if favorable, near the main tank or the bulk of the team. I should research the boss related debuffs and fine tune my ability to cleanse them. I should shield the tank every chance I can. If armor buff goes down i should reapply the HOT to the tank. Finally if I'm at full health I should always use a Noble Sacrifice.

Now past this, my first reaction to a non tank person being damaged should be the shield, followed by a HOT. If mutiple people are hurt/taking damage I should Noble sacrifice, position myself assuming the start positioning has changed, and AE heal. If somone is taking sustained damage I follow the shield-HOT with my channeled heal. I then follow this with a HOT-deliverance. If for some reason the rotation is tossed off with cooldowns I spam Deliverance.

For gear concentrate on crit/surge and power/surge instead of Alacrity.

For mana regen, if a need arises, I should count on my Smuggler buddy for a heal so i can use Noble Sacrifice. If he dies and circumstance disallows a ress or he ignores healing me, my regen rotation is Bubble, Channel, HOT, AE, NS, NS, Channel, HOT, idle, idle, idle.... Bubble to restart it.

That should work, yeah. You don't really have to idle, though. Just learn to keep an eye on your health and force bars. If your other healer homey dies and for some reason you can't C-Rez him, you should have at least one or maybe two DPS in your group that can help heal until you get things sorted out. If you're facing down an enrage, if the boss is really close to dying and your heals aren't really mattering, phuggit, start DPSing and hope for the best. :p

I don't really like 'rotations' other than Bubble > HoT > Channel with Deliverance filler, assuming you've got Salvation down where you and/or the tank can benefit. Once you get used to monitoring your resources (Including your health) it gets to be second nature. I'd start with some Hard Mode flashpoints before dipping your feet into some Story mode EV/KP.

Keep your camera scrolled out as far as possible and turn on enemy NPC nameplates.