So the future of class story

Torcatoth

Who started this game because of class story now has nothing to do, and no ETA on more, in fact thet's not on the radar is what you said in germany and seatle.

So I'm asking a straight answer, in the radar for me dosen't mean nothing. If you have a radar of 500m the town church isn't on the radar but it's still there.

Although you feel like planet quest have a more epic sentiment for people they're short and not that interesting to do in multiple chars.

Makeb was nice, czerka is nice but doing it on alt's just feel the same. there's no epic feeling about it because you already know for one what you will do, what will happen, and how it's going to end.

None of these options give you the sense of doing something different than all the others.

So just give a straight answer to this.

Are we or are we not going to have more class story on the future?

Sincerly

A SWTOR class story fan.

Your not going to get a straight answer so I think it is best to stop asking. I say this because once a dev says something in stone everyone harps onto them for ETA's and all that. It becomes a cluster you know what and they would rather say a vague answer then get everyone's hopes up. I personally think their done but that is just me.

There's at least one post about this every day. Odds are we're done with the class stories. The plans for this game when it had 1+ million subs and gaining were completely different then a F2P under 500k sub game. If we get more story it'll most likely be like Makeb.

Honestly I feel the opposite give me more Makeb style story. I've always felt a huge issue with this game was focusing too much on individual stories and not enough with what's going on with the empire and republic.

Seeing as most of the class story writers have left such as Drew Karpyshyn, a major BW writer, who basicly wrote all the force using classes story lines and the writer of the Imp Agent class, I highly doubt we will see any more class stories. At this point my guess we will see story progression like Makeb. Not individual progression but progression of the time line. If you play the new planet/daily area on the PTS you will see the progression of the Dread Masters story line that we saw in operations EC, TFB and SnV.

Other then the money and who is going to write this issues, there are some reasons why there really isn't a need for personal class story lines. Each class is the very best at what they do. All the Jedi are Masters, all the Sith are Darths and are at the top of the food chain. The trooper leads the best squad the Republic so they respond to the greatest threats aka Operations and etc. The Agent based on how you did the ending will ether A) Help when able and the best agent in the history of Imperial Intelligence will only be handling the most serious of task or B) be waiting on the Sith Intelligence to be created and until then acts in the best interest of the Empire. As for the two freelancers aka the smuggler and the BH, they are the best in the galaxy at what they do and they have taken their sides. So they will be only taking the best paying jobs aka the most dangerous. So in the end they are simply waiting for threats to respond to or chances to help their faction gain a better position in the war

Edited by Silko

Seeing as most of the class story writers have left such as Drew Karpyshyn, a major BW writer, who basicly wrote all the force using classes story lines and the writer of the Imp Agent class, I highly doubt we will see any more class stories. (...)

That's simply not true.

EDIT:

Or rather, it's true that Kapyshyn left Bioware but it's untrue that he wrote all of the storylines, when it comes to force based classes. The one he had the more influence, was the one for the JK and even that one had as the lead writer Hall Hood.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

After reading interviews and talking with devs at the meet and greet, I'm pretty sure they have no plans for class stories. They seem happy pushing faction stories, unfortunately.

Let's see how happy they are pushing that crap when we stop paying.

I know its like cutting off your nose to spite your face, if you love the game like I do, but frankly I've had it with these jack asses, flying all over the world on our dime, and telling us what *they* think we want.

Someone said that these threads demanding more individual class story pop up everyday....well that would be for a reason, people want more class stories. And I say keep on posting and pushing, because nothing in this world is easy, especially when it comes to getting what you want.

So those who love individual class story, keep badgering Bioware/EA until we're heard, and some workable compromise is attained and not something that is as fun as watching paint dry. I don't want any more daily crap, where I have to kill 35 enemies, destroy 10 of this box, and loot 10 of that box and pop some rat infested tentacle thing at the end for a few measly rep points, which will be done and played out in a few weeks when we're all maxed at Legend level (assuming we haven't decide to pick our toenails for kicks in the mean time). At which point we'll get more of this type of thing. I don't want that, I want to feel meaningful again.

Right now, my wonderfully uber and super important hero of the universe SWs, SIs, IA's, Jedis etc, all feel like they're someone's b*tch. Honestly do you think a master of the universe has to go out to pop boxes? I'm sure some grunt can handle that just fine thanks. *picks at fingernails and looks disdainfully at EA/bioware*

Edited by Lunafox

As much as I'd love more class story content.

An extra 5 levels of story content that is pretty resource heavy to produce and most people will clear in a week, I don't believe would be likely to generate enough extra income or subscription retention to justify it as a business decision.

As much as I'd love more class story content.

An extra 5 levels of story content that is pretty resource heavy to produce and most people will clear in a week, I don't believe would be likely to generate enough extra income or subscription retention to justify it as a business decision.

Unlike the storyline of Makeb, it would offer replay value.

That's my biggest gripe with Makeb actually, once you've done the story, it's painfully boring to do so again on an alt. If they had class-specific parts in it, it would at least be somewhat different. A generic faction storyline just doesn't really cut it and it doesn't even make a lot sense (why call in a Jedi Master for something a grunt with a blaster can do?).

I don't see class stories being a big part of SWTOR's future. Will they one day add some? Sure, that's possible, but more than likely with a "Large" expansion release (Not this Makeb DLC crap).

I remember before SWTOR's release some devs on the EQ2 forums were talking about the voice acting and the "cinematic" gameplay of SWTOR. Originally EQ2 was supposed to be fully voice acted (And it was for the original release) and have more cinematic story telling. They were laughing that people actually thought Bioware would keep up with that caliber of storytelling/voice acting because it was just not feasible to do it once the game launched because of time and money.

It seems the EQ2 devs had it right on the money...It is just not feasible with the amount of subscribers they have to continue producing individual class based storylines and Bioware has all but said that.

So, I for one, am not surprised by this at all, people just need to get it through their heads that Bioware and EA bit off way more than they could chew with this game and it will suffer from here on out from it.

Unfortunate...they should have just made KOTOR 3 instead.

More of the class stories were already written than you think. Question is will they go to waste or will we get to play them. There is a good lot done already, I am sure.

Agreed, I don't want to see these go to waste, just because someone doesn't think its financially feasible. If its done, why not let us play it. I recall reading from the devs early on that they had something like 3 years of story done at launch.

Unless they were incredibly short sighted or never really did plan on continuing the class stories, they worked out story arcs for at least a couple of years. I would love for them to at least give us access to what they did work up. It would be a nice apology gesture for disappointing so many of their loyal fans.

Reaching the top of your profession is just a beginning to your life, not the end of it :p

Unless they were incredibly short sighted or never really did plan on continuing the class stories

They definitely did originally plan on continuing class stories up to a certain point, I heard it right out of a devs mouth <.<

they worked out story arcs for at least a couple of years. I would love for them to at least give us access to what they did work up. It would be a nice apology gesture for disappointing so many of their loyal fans.

1. They will probably use class story elements in future stories at the very least, and probably aren't 100% sure they won't ever use them

2. Telling fans what they could have got and won't get is very saddening

Edited by chuixupu

Of course there will be story expansions, in the meantime gear up and enjoy that ride! Honestly I have had a hell of a fun time gearing up even though it's been from doing the same stuff for months now, it is so satisfying feeling how much more powerful I am. That is the best feeling for me in this game.

Of course there will be story expansions, in the meantime gear up and enjoy that ride! Honestly I have had a hell of a fun time gearing up even though it's been from doing the same stuff for months now, it is so satisfying feeling how much more powerful I am. That is the best feeling for me in this game.

I am glad to see you still love the game! I feel the same way! It's a great game and the class stories are at a point that the characters are at the top of their game. Makeb's story arc was really well done!(Empire side is all ive played)

I love TOR and will play till they shut out the lights! =D

The word from the devs is no more class stories. End of discussion....

For all those wondering, yes more Class Story exists in the game files. So does Podracing. So does a warzone based around turrents on Makeb. So does Ziost. So does Yavin IV. So does Sleheyron. So does Bothawui.

Just because they PLANNED (or wrote) the content, and got the game ready for it, doesn't mean it will EVER happen. Subscriber numbers dropped off a cliff, the game went from 500+ developers (plus a satellite studio in Singapore making art assets) to about 150. There is no money or staff for class stories chaps.

Let's see how happy they are pushing that crap when we stop paying.

I know its like cutting off your nose to spite your face, if you love the game like I do, but frankly I've had it with these jack asses, flying all over the world on our dime, and telling us what *they* think we want.

Someone said that these threads demanding more individual class story pop up everyday....well that would be for a reason, people want more class stories. And I say keep on posting and pushing, because nothing in this world is easy, especially when it comes to getting what you want.

So those who love individual class story, keep badgering Bioware/EA until we're heard, and some workable compromise is attained and not something that is as fun as watching paint dry. I don't want any more daily crap, where I have to kill 35 enemies, destroy 10 of this box, and loot 10 of that box and pop some rat infested tentacle thing at the end for a few measly rep points, which will be done and played out in a few weeks when we're all maxed at Legend level (assuming we haven't decide to pick our toenails for kicks in the mean time). At which point we'll get more of this type of thing. I don't want that, I want to feel meaningful again.

Right now, my wonderfully uber and super important hero of the universe SWs, SIs, IA's, Jedis etc, all feel like they're someone's b*tch. Honestly do you think a master of the universe has to go out to pop boxes? I'm sure some grunt can handle that just fine thanks. *picks at fingernails and looks disdainfully at EA/bioware*

First of all, they are not flying across the world on "Our Dime". They are flying out on their own pockets (and possibly EAs) and paying everyone's tabs at these cantina events, so they can interract with their fans and community. This whole elitist attitude needs to go.

Second of all being a sub does not mean you have full authority over what content bioware produces. They are the developers and they provide the content. You simply decide if that content is for you through your wallet.

Also It's not a simple matter of want. Its also about development and process and time. As much as I love the Class Stories. They take a huge portion of the games time and effort out of the development cycle, and can slow the process of endgame work down or other aspects of the game. Damien's comments on pvp fall along the same lines. Instead of trying to make a system which clearly wasn't drawing the population it needed for 8v8 ranked warzones, they decided to take their efforts and make a new system with 4v4 Arenas its a new style of pvp that many people enjoyed which may not have come out had Bioware focused its pvp team's efforts on a system that just wasn't working, no matter how much the small minority of players wished it would have stayed.

The point i am trying to make is there is a huge difference between getting things that the players want and what's best for the game. Cause lets face it players themselves don't knwo what they want. When this game was in beta you could kill your companions but then people QQed about not getting them back even though there were literally 4 moments where the game said (YOU'RE SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?). OWPvP is another example. People began to exploit the rewards by just trading kills and zerging spawns and people QQ'ed. Bioware moved away from that and instead focused more on Organic OWPvP rather than heavy Objective Base, guess what people now QQ. So you can say bioware should give the players what they want, but sometimes its best to do whats best for the game not what the players are feeling for at the moment cause as it has shown over the past 2 years it can change on a dime.

Edited by MisterBlackJack

• 3 months later...
I can see how class based content can be expensive to make with relatively little playtime especially if content is not repeatable like dallies. What I would like to see rather than straight faction based stories is a story for force users and a story for non force users. So Jedi and Sith would be on the same or similar story while all the mercenary classes would do another. This would limit new content to two story lines but your character would be performing tasks more suited to their skills, making it feel like a class story.