Eric, will we get a performance upgrade at some point?

Kortio

I played this game 2 years ago on a crappy old AMD 965.

Came back 2 years later and the game is still running really bad, despite a new Computer with more RAM and better everything. I mean, we players really tried everything we could, some methods are now even not allowed anymore.

Like the RAMDisk thingy.

One example: I can run the game on normal settings, yet I run it on low, because if I go to certain areas, my FPS just drops to like 5. At the same time, my processor is fiddling his thumbs and my GPU yawns because there is nothing to do. Stronghold Dromund Kaas Balcony is an example for that. There are other MMORPG with way better graphics that I can run on way higher settings, like FF14 for example, which is surprisingly well optimized.

It is tiresome to see that they are dishing out cartel pack after cartel pack, but bugs from 2 years ago are still there and the performance hasn't been improved at all.

So, Eric, what is the plan? Just milking money until the cow is dry or will you guys actually do something in that regard? I like KOTFE, but this is just not ok. It feels like either BW or EA do not care. Other MMORPG continuously update their engine and improve things where they can. But here, no improvements have been made over the years whatsoever.

Edited by Kortio

From what I understand, they'd need to rebuild an entirely new engine in order to fix the problems with this one. It sucks, and I don't disagree with you, but at the same time, that's not exactly a step that can be reasonably taken.

From what I understand, they'd need to rebuild an entirely new engine in order to fix the problems with this one. It sucks, and I don't disagree with you, but at the same time, that's not exactly a step that can be reasonably taken.

Anarchy Online just changed their entire 12 year old engine to the new Engine Funcom was using for Secret World.

And they are close to bankruptcy. If they can, why can't EA GAMES?

We are not talking about some poor indie dev here, we are talking about a multi million dollar company.

Edited by Kortio

• 2 months later...
Anarchy Online just changed their entire 12 year old engine to the new Engine Funcom was using for Secret World.

We are not talking about some poor indie dev here, we are talking about a multi million dollar company.

Because SWTOR is peanuts to EA. Anarchy Online is a key product for Funcom. EA makes disposable games, Funcom doesn't have that luxury.

It would take years to build a new engine, move most of their developers on it, so that means a complete lack of content save for bug fixing and if there is content coming it would be so far between the months and such little in the way of content anyway that they may as well not of bothered. resources and money to be put into it, building that whole new engine is just too much of a rsik to consider.

BW maybe able to upgrade the engine further at some point, but a completely new engine? i don't see this ever happening.

Came back 2 years later and the game is still running really bad, despite a new Computer with more RAM and better everything. I mean, we players really tried everything we could, some methods are now even not allowed anymore.

Like the RAMDisk thingy.

One example: I can run the game on normal settings, yet I run it on low, because if I go to certain areas, my FPS just drops to like 5. At the same time, my processor is fiddling his thumbs and my GPU yawns because there is nothing to do. Stronghold Dromund Kaas Balcony is an example for that. There are other MMORPG with way better graphics that I can run on way higher settings, like FF14 for example, which is surprisingly well optimized.

It is tiresome to see that they are dishing out cartel pack after cartel pack, but bugs from 2 years ago are still there and the performance hasn't been improved at all.

So, Eric, what is the plan? Just milking money until the cow is dry or will you guys actually do something in that regard? I like KOTFE, but this is just not ok. It feels like either BW or EA do not care. Other MMORPG continuously update their engine and improve things where they can. But here, no improvements have been made over the years whatsoever.

I also just built a new computer (i7 6700K @ 4GHZ, 16GB of RAM, GTX970) to play SWTOR. It was very disappointing seeing at max 20-30FPS in warzones. I really enjoy this game. My biggest gripe is seeing the pitiful FPS in WZ's and knowing there isn't anything i can do to improve it...

How would i know, but building a new engine is a lot more complicated that simply upgrading an original one, faults and all.

LIES!! Interns can do it in a few weeks...the forums have decreed that years ago.

i'm not sure what "performance" issues people have, i've never had significant issues outside of things like lag and latency issues because 1000+ miles tends to cause problems with packets.

Honestly man, they half-assed it. They threw it on the live servers and have ignored it ever since. It wasn't ready.

Sad to say but there will be no performance increase and probably a degrade upon next "massive expansion" this fall. The simple facts are the engine they used is so polluted with well to start a pile of junk, top that with inept developers prior to the current team and the current team when it comes to the engine, top that with not really carrying enough, top that with only way this game would actually see an increase in performance is if BW, EA or Disney are making a sw mmo that is not based on anything from swtor but learning lessons of what not to do and how poorly you can manage a product.

sorry op

PVE content works just fine for me. But seeing 25-30fps in warzones even though my GPU and CPU is not nearly at full utilization is bad. This game really needs some optimization. I really hope that some day we will get a fix for at least the biggest fps issues. It would be a quality-of-life change for SWTOR gamers. Edited by VictorMike

They don't need a whole team working on an engine year-round, while ignoring everything else. They just need to hire one guy whose job is to look at what's there and try to make little tweaks that better optimization. Not everything needs to be drastic.

Ideally, this would be a guy who has the speaking freedom to talk to players who have high-end systems and work with them, to a point, to get things running better.

I am not one of them, but I know there are gamers who are hardcore performance enthusiasts and would gladly talk a dev's ear off about the little details of it all.

One example: I can run the game on normal settings, yet I run it on low, because if I go to certain areas, my FPS just drops to like 5.

So, 2 years ago you had a crap computer, and now 2 years later you have another crap computer. If you are only getting 5 fps in certain areas, I would guess that you have a low-end AMD FX or APU, or maybe an Intel Pentium?

SWTOR (and many other MMOs) is very CPU intensive. About the only thing that gives decent performance is a newer generation Intel i5/i7.

• 2 months later...
LIES!! Interns can do it in a few weeks...the forums have decreed that years ago.

i'm not sure what "performance" issues people have, i've never had significant issues outside of things like lag and latency issues because 1000+ miles tends to cause problems with packets.

I'd suggest going for a 16m Temple of Sacrifice or, if you are a masochist, 16m Monolith. Playing a game made of stillshots is not easy.

One example: I can run the game on normal settings, yet I run it on low, because if I go to certain areas, my FPS just drops to like 5. .

SWTOR is very CPU intensive. I'm not surprised you had problems with the old 965. What processor do you have now? If I was to guess, I'd guess something like an AMD FX-6300 (or worse).

There's no CPU currently available that works well in all aspects of SWTOR, but a new Intel i5 or i7 is the best you can do. (Fingers crossed that AMD Zen will work.)

I'm running an i5-6600 and it's very smooth, but I don't do warzones so I can't say how well it would work. I might do some PvP for the DvL soon though.

In regards to your title question - there's not apt to be any "performance upgrade" to SWTOR. To do that would require a complete overhaul of the engine. You'll have to wait for SWTOR2 for that.

So, you'll just have to do a performance upgrade at your end. Get an i5-6500/6600 with appropriate motherboard and RAM. (Or i7, if you do video editing, etc.)

Edited by JediQuaker

SWTOR is very CPU intensive. I'm not surprised you had problems with the old 965. What processor do you have now? If I was to guess, I'd guess something like an AMD FX-6300 (or worse).

There's no CPU currently available that works well in all aspects of SWTOR, but a new Intel i5 or i7 is the best you can do. (Fingers crossed that AMD Zen will work.)

I'm running an i5-6600 and it's very smooth, but I don't do warzones so I can't say how well it would work. I might do some PvP for the DvL soon though.

Got an old I5 2500k, (not OC), a GTx970 and 8 gig of RAM.

Game runs smooth even in WZ everything maxed out but shadows.

Lately I disabled the shadows as I was fed up with the blocky lines in custscene.

Also on some planets you have to lower the rendering distance of the grass otherwise you get like 25-30 FPS.

Dear OP,

Your problem is user-end. Fix your ****.

I run this game on max settings (except for 16 man Ops) on:

AMD FX 4350

16 gb ddr3 1866

asus 290x graphics card @ 2560x1440

sata 500 gb ssd

Win 10 Home

Got an old I5 2500k, (not OC), a GTx970 and 8 gig of RAM.

Game runs smooth even in WZ everything maxed out but shadows.

Lately I disabled the shadows as I was fed up with the blocky lines in custscene.

Also on some planets you have to lower the rendering distance of the grass otherwise you get like 25-30 FPS.

Yeah, I'm imagining the OP and other computer illiterates running win7, tons of bloatware, and on a DSL wireless network.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller