The Writers' Workshop

Osetto

Hey everyone, you may remember back on post #36, I had the idea of an in-character prose piece that would shine light on a particular subject in the Star Wars/Old Republic canon, expanding on things that might be useful for a fan fiction writer. It was the recording of an assassin, kindly offering his expertise on how to defeat the 'undefeatable' Force-user. Well, it wasn't the only one I did, and with the formal announcement of the Cathar's upcoming release, I thought it time to post another I've been sitting on.

Back when the Cathar were announced as a playable species, one of the first things brought up were concerns about how could they work within the Sith Empire. While events have shown the Empire capable of evolving, it wouldn't explain the character's inclusion in the years prior to events in-game. Plus, you have things like the Bounty Hunter dealing with Mandalorians, who the Cathar aren't too fond of. So I wrote a piece providing insight into the mind of a Cathar at the time of the Treaty of Coruscant, espousing the relevance of the 'individual' in a galaxy of collectives.

The Self Realized Cathar

-snip-

I liked this, it sounds very much like the beginnings of a Sith Cathar.

For more general canon background of Cathar joining the Empire, you might also recall there is a quest on Imperial Belsavis:

Where you rescue a Cathar hero (Prince Shange) who had originally advocated against the Cathar joining the Republic. He was presumed dead but really the Republic captured him and locked him into stasis for decades. I'm sure news of the Republic's treatment of him and the fact that there actually was a movement of Cathar that was not pro-Republic decades before the events of the game would fit nicely into some Imperial Cathar back-stories.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, um. Would you guys, the people that actually post fanfic instead of just writing it and keeping it on your computers (unlike me), say that this community is saturated with Sith Warrior stories?

Not that I'm complaining. I'm just kind of worried that a) when I finally make a thread people won't be as interested in my SW fanfic and b) that it's going to be worse than what everybody else has written.

On the bright side, it's not about Quinn. I have zero desire to write about certain things that happen in Act 3 regarding that alleged human being. At all. ;)

Edited by Euphrosyne

Anybody who has my tumblr has probably seen the shortened version of this, so I'll post the full article here:

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-article/2013/05/we-have-always-fought-challenging-the-women-cattle-and-slaves-narrative-by-kameron-hurley/

(some language)

This isn't "you've been doing everything wrong" post - we have a lot of female characters on this board who are written extremely well. This is a help thread for writers, both new and old, and I believe that anything that helps a writer critically examine their approach to groups and individuals (and not just women, as the article itself covers, but any group that is labelled as a minority or is "othered") and to hopefully avoid not only cliches, but the perpetuation of falsehoods and stereotypes.