Valis is not beatable @ 24

MichellMich

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True.

I went from hating this fight to realizing that Bioware wants us to use all of our abilities. I this is great since it makes each encounter have a different expectation. I hope they can do more with this.

This is true of any Elite fight starting in the mid 20's. By then your expected to know your abilities and make use of your interrupts/stuns etc.

This is true of any Elite fight starting in the mid 20's. By then your expected to know your abilities and make use of your interrupts/stuns etc.

So I realize I haven't been using my interrupts nearly enough.

Is there a consistent visual clue to tell you that a boss is beginning to use a big power? Or do you just figure it out as the fight goes along (meaning no way to interrupt it the first time. Can you interrupt after the power has started dealing damage?

So I realize I haven't been using my interrupts nearly enough.

Is there a consistent visual clue to tell you that a boss is beginning to use a big power? Or do you just figure it out as the fight goes along (meaning no way to interrupt it the first time. Can you interrupt after the power has started dealing damage?

Above your quickbars to the right is your boss target. When he goes to use his big abilities they are channelled...so you will see a bar for either channelling or building up his ability. That's when you force kick or force statis them.

Don't force leap in, run in. You'll focus starved for a second, but he always throws you out before his super charge ability. force leap interrupts all actions, it will interrupt the. Cast, that saves your kick or surpress to stop anything else. It might be close a time or two, but force leap was always available as long as I didn't open with it.

Watching interrupts I didn't even have to use call on the force or a med pack. Just watch the interrupts and should be good.

This brings back memories of vanilla WoW. One of the reasons it's easy is because there are a million websites telling you exactly what build to use, with movie walkthroughs of all content. The week of WoW's launch, when none of that was available, there were a lot of people having real problems with things we'd now consider to be trivial.

So for example, I simply didn't know about the boss castbar. That may seem stupid, but in WoW, I hide all hotbars so I can just watch the action (not to play better, just to enjoy the pretty pictures). So my eyes basically never go down to that area of the screen. (In Wow I use addons that tell me when my target is casting so I know when to interrupt.)

Fun!

what about with a sentinel?

Just beat him as one so I'll throw my two credits in (Juyo form, Watchman tree).

I had Kira jump in first, jumped in a second after once she had his aggro. Started laying down all my burn skills. Watched CLOSELY for any time an ability bar started to charge and used Kick or Stasis when they were up.

He switched attention back to me halfway down, so I threw up Rebuke, Ward, and Call to the Force once Ward was down. I didn't even have time to build up 30 Centering before he was down.

TL;DR: Interrupts have gone from never used to crucial in this one fight. USE THEM.

Yeah for any Elite fights I always send Kira in first followed by her using her Blade Ward immediately. If I see the Elite begin to cast, I Force Leap in for the first interrupt, Force Kick the second cast, Force Stasis the third, then Force Kick the fourth. After 26 you can mix in Force Push for another interrupt followed by another Force Leap.

I always use Taunt when Kira gets to around 40% and use my own Blade Ward after taunting. Use medpacks if needed, but I've never lost a fight with a Story Boss using the above method.

I'm glad to have found this thread. I'm playing a Sentinel, which is a first for me really. Any other MMO I have played, I've played a squishy ranged DPS, like a Conjuror, or a Warlock. I'm not used to being up close and personal in these fights. Technically, even after 24 levels, I'm still not, and I haven't fully learned my abilities.

All that being said, I am still having issues beating him. I put way more into T7 as far as gear and weapons, which was probably a mistake on my part, but I used T7 more than Kira. So, right now, I'm just dying over and over, but I'm learning things through this fight which will probably help me as I progress in level. My husband was always the meatshield tank, and I was the squishy little sorcerer in the back who could burn the mob down.

It's taking some getting used to, but eventually, I'll beat him. With regards to the poster talking about skipping quests in Taris and such, I did skip some quests in Taris, due to the fact that Taris was very VERY laggy, and I couldn't finish them. I went on to Nar Shaddaa and did all of the quests there, and eventually the Taris quests grayed out. I wound up abandoning them. They were a couple of smaller quests anyway.

I think, honestly, that some people forget that in some quests and fights, you need to persevere. There will be times where it's not a cakewalk, you'll die more than once or twice, and you may wind up VERY frustrated. However, I welcome the challenge this brings to the table, especially in my situation where I have to learn my role anyway.

However, when I start a new character, it may be my old standby ranged DPS. :o

ETA: I just beat him after about 3 or 4 more tries. I used T7 and did what was recommended, using Stasis, Force Kick whenever he tried doing lightning strike, and my damage abilities. Yay! :D

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

what about with a sentinel?

Easy.

Send in Kira + use interrupts. Makes it a cakewalk.

At 34 now, I use statis, kick and leap as interrupts all the time. If you don't interrupt skills on Elites or even Strongs, you could be overpowered in seconds.

Edited by Dekadez

I like that BW has challenging story bosses while leveling to allow players to learn their class. This was one of my pet peeves in WoW. Leveling was so easy that you really didn't need to learn half of what your class was capable of doing because most of it was just facerolling mobs.

If there is one thing BW can do, is create challenging boss fights. Pretty much all their games have them(although DA2 and ME2 were much easier than their predecessors). I remember Calo Nord absolutely destroying my *** repeatedly in KOTOR 1.

Just beat him as one so I''ll throw my two credits in (Juyo form, Watchman tree).

I had Kira jump in first, jumped in a second after once she had his aggro. Started laying down all my burn skills. Watched CLOSELY for any time an ability bar started to charge and used Kick or Stasis when they were up.

He switched attention back to me halfway down, so I threw up Rebuke, Ward, and Call to the Force once Ward was down. I didn''t even have time to build up 30 Centering before he was down.

TLDR: Interrupts have gone from never used to crucial in this one fight. USE THEM.

You, my friend, just saved my arse. Thank you.

And I just took him down on my first try tonight, 24 Defense Guardian.

Hit a Stim, use your cooldowns, bring a high-end Health consumable, watch for interrupt chances and let Kira do what Kira does best. There's nothing impossible about this fight; just a learning curve that some refuse to adopt.

Edited by Thandellon

Level 24 Jedi Sentinel. I was frustrated with this mission and thinking it could not be done at my level until I searched a bit and found this thread. You guys were right. I had to try it 3 times, but it worked. If you interrupt Valias at each opportunity you get you can smash him rather easily.

Heck, the third try Kira didn't even die. I will admit I was like "Holy Crap! We killed him!"

Now I look to see what bosses have charging attacks and interrupt them before they can unleash on me. Good advice.

Dude, you are awesome, I used those tips and beat him. I had tried at least a dozen times before. The most important trick is using force kick and stasis. I used stasis on him and it worked 100%, he stayed still and didn't move for like 5 whole seconds, gave me plenty of time to do a lot of damage.

OK, I don't want to pick on your in particular, but jesus christ.

I see a lot of threads about how difficult the sentinel class is, and how some of the quest bosses are unbeatable. Then someone comes in and literally posts a list that goes something like this:

1) Use your companion

2) Use your interrupts

3) Use your shields

And all of a sudden everyone is like "OH MY GOD I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT, THIS WORKED PERFECTLY, YOU ARE SO AMAZING".

Seriously? People have to be told that?

This game has some of the worst players in MMO history.

best thing to do is not suck... and honestly if you do not skip quests and do the bonuses you will be slightly over level and have plenty of gear.

nearly all of these people are doing their class quests UNDER leveled. If you did everything on Taris and Nar Shaddar you should be closer to 27-28 not 24, that means you skipped stuff.

Sorry but not being able to "****** charge" everything does not mean its over tuned it means it has a "challenge" to it. Sorry but if you never die then the game is not hard enough. This is not wow, if you want to kill everything while drunk and stupid then go back to WoW.

Just because you happen to be a really talented gamer does not mean you have to be insulting to players with less skill and experience. This is a difficult fight, and if you one shotted him at level 24 then congratulations on being a skillful gamer. But some people are not as gifted as you are and need some help without being made to feel like a fool for coming here. This is the elitist attitude that keeps most casual players from ever coming to the forums, and in some games makes players quit due to the hostile environment. Please don't make these forums go in that direction. It is only the first month of this game, and while some of the players have been in beta and pre-launch, some of us are just regular folk trying to enjoy an awesome game as a break from the stress of real life. We don't need your high handed judgement because we are not as elite as you.

This game is probably the first MMO in years that has a huge playership of folks that have NEVER played an MMO before. Players that stayed away from MMO's in the past are playing this because they love Star Wars.

Have a little tolerance and don't be such a snob. If you can't contribute possitively to a legitimate forum thread without having to belittle people, just ignore the thread.

I am sure someone told you while you were growing up, if you can't say something nice...

OK, I don't want to pick on your in particular, but jesus christ.

Pot meet kettle. The guy is grateful for advice and you rag on him and the playerbase as a whiole. Not everyone is a gaming champion or has a ton of free time to devote to MMOs.

I really wish I rolled a Sentinel. Guardian is no fun right now. Every boss takes multiple attempts. I already gave up on Lord Praven as a Tank.

Try dps spec with gaurdian, the problem with tanking spec and questing is your lack of output. my buddy went gaurdian dps cuz im doin sentinel, and almost just as effective if not moreso with soloing stuff.