Could another SW sandbox game be tried?

Guildrum

Okay, so let me first say that I have never played SWG, not before any NGE or after, so I have no idea how the game actually worked, but from what I've heard, it was creative fun. And I have also heard that there was just too much to do, and not a lot of direction with the game, leading to it's inevitable fall. This is all second-hand knowledge, but it does make sense that a non WoW-type of an MMO may result in failure.

But, I like sandbox type games, a perfect example of this, is Mount and Blade, where you are a roving mercenary and can enlist yourself and the army you make to a nation, gather up companions that you want and battle enemy nobles, lay siege to castles, or run around looting or even dedicate your game to ridding Calradia of brigands! All of this is fun and well done, so I was thinking, if Lucasarts was willing to try a different kind of sandbox, with a little more direction than SWG, but a little less direction than SWTOR, it could result in a good game.

The ideal time, I think, would be the Dark Times, in between III and IV, as to allow a situation where rebel groups are fostering, and the Empire is still consolidating it's control, what I would assume is a golden age for criminals and smugglers, and the Jedi have yet to be completely exterminated, but incredibly rare. This creates some good fostering ground for story, without needing to create entire new lore in a sense.

I already have a few ideas for the classes, where you start out as one of these classes, but some of them change if you go Empire/Rebels.

Potential Classes-

Force-Sensitive

During the Dark Times, there were many force-users in the Empire that went untrained due to a lack of Jedi council or Sith academy, and as a result, an alarmingly large number of untrained, dangerous force-users are running around the galaxy. Due to their abilities, they are able to join either the Empire, ableit not as a Sith, or the Rebel Alliance or another Rebel Group.

They can become Jedi if they discover a Jedi master in the far reaches of the galaxy, giving them lightsaber abilities.

Smuggler

During the Dark Times, everyone who had even the slightest disagreement with the Empire wants Spice, even if only to defy the Empire. This has made “free trading” extremely profitable. They also have an opportunity to join either the Empire as a blockade runner, or join Rebels as a smuggler and a pilot, but they start biased towards Rebels.

They can become Blockade Runners if they join the Empire, giving them better ships and weapons.

Soldier Class-

Imperial Stormtrooper

The days of the Clone Wars are not that far off. The memories of the powerful Clone Troopers still ring true to most of the Republic, but that idea is quickly fading as the DNA from the Fett family is being lost and the Clones are falling in number and quality. The Empire has turned to conscription, and as a result, the Storm Trooper Armies are far less homogenous. You can not join Rebels, only the Empire.

Rebel Commander

There are dozens of Rebel factions throughout the galaxy, but the one that is currently on the rise is the Rebel Alliance to Restore the Republic (RARR for short), nevertheless, single-planet/star system rebel groups seeking independence for their own planet and/or star system. They can only join Rebel Groups.

Agent Class-

Imperial Agent

While the Empire is solidating it's control, it needs to have people amongst the people to make sure that the people aren't sympathetic for certain people that don't like the Empire. They don disguises and live amongst everyday people, or infiltrate extremist rebel groups, or maybe they assassinate certain unsavory individuals. Whatever the case, it's the Agent that makes sure the Empire does not cave in on itself. Can only join Empire.

Rebel Saboteur

The Rebellions can't live only on upset battlefield victories, they lack the manpower, weapons and leadership experience that the Empire has, and are fighting a losing battle on the field of war. That's why they need saboteurs, they are the ones who sabotage expensive Imperial Projects, assassinate high-profile targets and plant bombs in strategic areas to fire up the people's angst against the Empire. They are the ones making sure that the Empire is just weak enough to let the Rebels live. Can only join Rebels.

These are just ideas and speculations really.

Edited by Guildrum

I think sandbox games are best skill-based rather than class-based. Skyrim's doing it right. A smuggler is a guy who smuggles. A Bounty Hunter is a guy who hunts a lot of bounties.

I think if they ever got the licence that Bethesda would knock a SW sandbox game out of the park.

But Bioware's schtick is cool too!

I think sandbox games are best skill-based rather than class-based. Skyrim's doing it right. A smuggler is a guy who smuggles. A Bounty Hunter is a guy who hunts a lot of bounties.

I think if they ever got the licence that Bethesda would knock a SW sandbox game out of the park.

But Bioware's schtick is cool too!

Don't get me wrong, I love SWTOR, but I was thinking that if we could combine elements of SWG and SWTOR, we could get a fun game to make stories in.

The problem is no one treats a sandbox game as a sandbox game(at least for SWG), everyone was always waiting on the devs to push out content when they were given storyteller vendors and chronicles to make their own stuff. Even if people treated a sandbox game as a sandbox, your still doing the same things over and over again what makes it different then a themepark?

In SWG everyone kept running the same instances over and over again, they farmed the same things for credits, collection badges and the like. In the end in a sandbox game there are some differences, but the main thing is just like any themepark MMO your doing the same thing over and over again.

I don't see it happening, games are expensive to make, and MMOs especially so. It requires a huge investment and huge amounts of effort, and after the relative failure of SWG I don't think anyone is willing to try that again in a hurry. Especially not when the dust of SWG's collapse hasn't settled yet.

there is a great sandbox game that is about to be re-launched. When its relaunched it iwll be good, its called darkfall look it up.

Plays like elder scrolls, open world, open pvp, open loot, no safe zones, all out madness and fun. Problem is it sucks right now because they orginally launched the game without any skill cap and with a grind that would make you numb.

After a year or so people who power leveled managed to build god-mode characters and thus new players will just free loot.

I always thought a minimally multiplayer sandbox game might work though. Think minecraft. Or like a bethesda game with 8 players per server.

Then it's not an MMO culture -- it's personal. Just you and your friends exploring, competing, building, etc. Nobody's going on raids or trading at an auction house. You don't have to minmax to be relevant. Etc.

The problem is no one treats a sandbox game as a sandbox game(at least for SWG), everyone was always waiting on the devs to push out content when they were given storyteller vendors and chronicles to make their own stuff. Even if people treated a sandbox game as a sandbox, your still doing the same things over and over again what makes it different then a themepark?

In SWG everyone kept running the same instances over and over again, they farmed the same things for credits, collection badges and the like. In the end in a sandbox game there are some differences, but the main thing is just like any themepark MMO your doing the same thing over and over again.

Everything you mentioned was NGE content, which was when the game was wowified.

Spoken like someone who never played SWG pre-cu. There was no end game pre-cu (besides jedi), the players had to make it. We did make it and it was the most fun in a video game I've ever had. You really don't get player created end game content until you play a game like SWG. This stuff was a daily occurrence on my server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0m9G5ZanA

notice how it's open world. Player created PvP content.

Spoken like someone who never played SWG pre-cu. There was no end game pre-cu (besides jedi), the players had to make it. We did make it and it was the most fun in a video game I've ever had. You really don't get player created end game content until you play a game like SWG. This stuff was a daily occurrence on my server.

Ok so...? There was pvp content made, the main point is though your doing the same things over and over again just like a themepark MMO. The only difference is that theres more room to go through with sandboxes.

His point still has merit though. One of the main complaints about swg regardless if its pre-cu,cu, or nge, was the fact that there was little to no content for it. Most people don't play sandbox game like they are suppose to, most people want the game to have content made on a regular basis by the dev team.

His point still has merit though. One of the main complaints about swg regardless if its pre-cu,cu, or nge, was the fact that there was little to no content for it. Most people don't play sandbox game like they are suppose to, most people want the game to have content made on a regular basis by the dev team.

Which is exactly like a themepark MMO, the devs make the content. Many players don't wanna spend hours setting up something, so they all want the devs to do the work for em.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think a new Star Wars sand box game would be great. I played Swg and although I came in after the nge I enjoyed the freedom and the community of the sandbox play. If i remember SWG was released to be more of a game like Second Life only based in the Star Wars universe. Community was the big concept here that was lost on players who bought the game expecting a standard theme park mmo and the devs thinking they could cash in on this changed the game radically resulting in killing the style people came to the game to be a part of to begin with. As far as SWG being failure i don't believe an 8 year run is too bad for a mmo.:)

Which is why I've accepted that when I play an online game I'll have a character mold/archetype shoved down my throat like I'm unable to create and manage my own fun/experience. <_< (but I'll still secretly long for something that requires effort, thought and perseverance. T.T)

Which is exactly like a themepark MMO, the devs make the content. Many players don't wanna spend hours setting up something, so they all want the devs to do the work for em.

Srry i have to agree with the guy who said you never played it pre cu.

Because Sandbox MMO's are sooooo successfull.

Not really, only 1-2 are real successful.

I personally don't like Sandbox games and MMO's. Its just too much and they always end up being lag fests, the only exception I see is Skyrim. But thats really the only Sandbox that doesn't have many problems.

And Bethesda best not touch SW. Skyrim is their only good game, Fallout NV has more glitches than people who've bought the game.

What does that have to do with anything of what this topic is about?

Just ignore the whole " U NEVAR PLAI BEFORE PRE-NGE CU" It's just somthing that they throw into their comments to make them feel like they have entitlement to something that isn't there...Just like the people who say they played "Vanilla WoW". I played Pre-NGE/CU and after it...It was a great all around game. The only reason they left was beacuase they didn't want change. Combat was horrific in SWG anyway you put it. Crafting, space, and, roleplay were fine tuned and exceptional.

If someone could take the idea of SWG and refine it...It would be fantastic. SWTOR's story for classes is amazing and emotion evoking, take that and put it into a game where you can do anything you want with repercussions for every one of your actions and you've got yourself the God sandbox MMO.

I think they should leave it to Bethesda to make a sandbox MMO in the Elder Scrolls world, they are the best for it.

For a Star Wars game I would not like it and don't think it is good because I think people want to see how it goes along with the story about the jedi and so on. The best games of the franchise like X-Wing, the Jedi Knight oder the KOTOR series were all strongly story-based, and thats what I want to have.

I don't see it happening, games are expensive to make, and MMOs especially so. It requires a huge investment and huge amounts of effort, and after the relative failure of SWG I don't think anyone is willing to try that again in a hurry. Especially not when the dust of SWG's collapse hasn't settled yet.

Hold on now a second.... SWG wasn't a failure. At least not until they tried to tweek it to make it more WOW like.

Just ignore the whole " U NEVAR PLAI BEFORE PRE-NGE CU" It's just somthing that they throw into their comments to make them feel like they have entitlement to something that isn't there...Just like the people who say they played "Vanilla WoW". I played Pre-NGE/CU and after it...It was a great all around game. The only reason they left was beacuase they didn't want change. Combat was horrific in SWG anyway you put it. Crafting, space, and, roleplay were fine tuned and exceptional.

If someone could take the idea of SWG and refine it...It would be fantastic. SWTOR's story for classes is amazing and emotion evoking, take that and put it into a game where you can do anything you want with repercussions for every one of your actions and you've got yourself the God sandbox MMO.

Again, spoken like someone who never played pre cu. The poit of saying that is not to lord it over you but to inform you that you have no clue what you're talking about.