Legacy of Crafting

jsdcaedus

so there seems to be a lot of complaints about the crafting and skill system. i see many leveling guides and suggestions about how crafting largely doesn't matter, and everyone should just go biochem. i've dedicated a lot of time to my synthweaving, gotten several purple patterns for levels of all sort, and the one thing unique that i can craft for myself that is BoP (belts and bracers) with the biometric crystal alloys is largely useless to me as a deception spec'd assassin stacking crit/surge.

the current system seems to encourage a crafting leveling system of "just make 200 green level items to max your craft and then make yourself the 2 pieces of rakata gear you may be able to equip anyway" ( i know that's a long description for a leveling system, but that's what it feels like) which is a HUGE oversimpification of a process that is actually very detailed and deliberate.

what about all the time i spent getting other patterns for lower level guildies? what about the mid-level patterns i came up with with all those extra mats i had? i've got 40 different purple patterns but it really is all useless in the end isn't it?

now comes the suggestion part, this isn't just a QQ, i just needed to point out some facts to substantiate my argument/suggestion.

enter: Legacy of Crafting. you guys love using the skywalkers as an example, so why shouldn't i? anakin and luke skywalker would both probably be cybertechs. good with machines and what-not. don't you think that luke might pass some of his cyberteching knowledge along to his wife and son?

crafting new patterns at any level could earn you crafting legacy points. the amount of points you get depend on the level of item and the depth of the proc. for example a level 10 green proc'd to the blue overkill/critical/redoubt version would award x amount of crafting legacy points, whereas a level 49 green proc'd to the same level would gain you x^5 or whatever the mathies come up with to make sense. likewise, the tier 2 proc's for level 10 (endowment/hawkeye etc.) would give an amount of legacy upscaled from however many points were awarded from the blue.

depending on your legacy level, you could share your knowledge with your alts, so maybe a level400 biochemist with a lot of procs from implants/medpacs/stims could share the knowledge with with their legacy family of how to use the rakata medpacs, or a high level synthweaver with many procs could show another legacy member how to properly wear their rakata force-master bracers.

this could do nothing but good, mats of all levels would become more valuable on the gtn, more people would try different crafts instead of just making every character a biochemist, thusly also possibly equalizing the cost of mission discoveries (investigation = worthless) and the value of schematics for all crafts.

new patterns with 1.2? cool, but not enough. i still really dig the excitement of chasing down new procs for offspec and to help guildies, but outside of that, crafting in endgame for anything other than meager (if you're lucky AND smart) profits, just doesn't really cut it.

if you read this whole thing, i appreciate it, even if you think i'm dumb. if you agree please comment.

Some interesting ideas here. Not sure how this would be fully developed into a useable system.

PS. I think this should be in the Suggestion Box section, also

on the suggestion box note, you may be right. but i highly doubt it would get attention there. this ball should be rolling already and i'd like to see it pick up some steam here...

• 8 months later...

i happen to like your ideals, maybe put in both with a link to eachother?

btw, i agree, i think it would be cool to be able to make any gear with any stat, like light armor with aim.

then have ability to teach your char to wield other armoers. like heavy armor with willpower.

but have an form of penelty. like willpower usually is light armor, why, so it holds u down less and u can focus more, so if you do mid or light, you may get less max willpower for same gear lvl, but can get better def.

well, good luck to you.

Edited by iceelementicey