High Level Crafting Question

Rusted_Zombie

Ok. Sorry for not being quite clear enough in what I meant. An example of what I mean would be the camouflaged sniper rifle. It requires my armstech be 450, required level to use 54, an item rating of 8, and damage is 39-48. I'm guessing that the way to make good gear is to start with the basics provided by the crew skill trainer and reverse engineer items until I get better schematics. I'm still new at this game so I know I'm missing something.

Ok. Sorry for not being quite clear enough in what I meant. An example of what I mean would be the camouflaged sniper rifle. It requires my armstech be 450, required level to use 54, an item rating of 8, and damage is 39-48. I'm guessing that the way to make good gear is to start with the basics provided by the crew skill trainer and reverse engineer items until I get better schematics. I'm still new at this game so I know I'm missing something.

If you're looking at something similar to this: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/49528/camouflaged-sniper, you're reading it wrong. On the item shown, the actual item rating is 64. The damage rating is 6. That's because it is a custom (orange) item, meaning you can put mods in it, which raise the effective damage rating to the level of the barrel (mod) inserted.

Also, just to make things even more complicated, SWTOR actually has three different ratings and three different quality levels for items (not including the mods). One is the level required, one is the item level, and the last is the item rating. I don't know the Armstech stuff off the top of my head, so this is out of my ear, but here's a very rough and dirty way of looking at it:

Items:

- Items themselves comes in six color variations. Green (Premium), Blue (Prototype), Artifact (Purple), Legendary (Deep Purple), in order from least powerful to most powerful. Custom (Orange) and Legacy (Yellow) items have a potential to be more powerful still.

- Orange, Yellow and some (?) purple/deep purple items are modifiable, with a base set of stats which are extremely low. Also, unless I'm mistaken, a level 54 item and a level 1 item of the same type will normally (always?) have the exact same base stats. The mods are what determine the stats in that case.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/50870/volatile-derelict-lightsaber

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/50653/underworld-challengers-lightsaber

- Rating is not the same as level, and the item level isn't always the same as the level required. I'll post some examples later, after I get home, if no one else does, but just out of my *** an example might be a level 46 blue item which requires that you be level 45 and which has an item rating of 50 (or whatever it is).

Mods:

These are also all over the board, but only come in three colors; green, blue, and purple (again, in order of power). Purple mods require purple materials (AFAIK, this is in every case, but I could be wrong), and thus are generally much more rare. They will have a rating that's a fair bit higher than a green or blue mod of the same level, but all three will have the same item level and level requirement.

More to follow later if no one else posts in better detail before I get home.

Edited by georgemattson

I appreciate the thorough answer. It was my goal to build my toons good weapons until I looted something better, and to sell items on GTN. Up until this point I've just been teaching myself how the game works and this gives me a much better idea of what I'm looking at now. Thanks again.