Developer Update: Introduction to Disciplines

TaitWatson

You know, there's an awful lot of QQ going on here considering no one's actually experienced the disciplines system personally. It's coming in nine days, surely you can wait until then to judge.

So you missed the previews that have been released?

It's not rocket surgery, it's easy to see what the new system is going to be like, and the ways in which it is going to stink.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's BS, most players are asking how they could do this, why would they put so much time into changing the game so drastically, people have finally mastered the classes. You're undermining all their hard work and training. A whole new battle system is not what we need. It's what the developers need to make adding new level caps easier and less time consuming.. It's obvious this change is for them and not us and our system being more balanced. This is going to break pvp in a lot of ways. Changing it heavily.. Forever.. Why spend so much time making these changes when there is one thing everybody truly wants. More 8v8 maps. The amount of 8v8 pvp maps is a joke. It's insulting. In years all they've given us is a queshball and some Deathmatch arena's. BS. Making pvp warzones is way easier thanthey're making it seem. I could develop 3 new 8v8 maps in 2 days. What on Earth is wrong with the game developers. So many people are quitting the game thx to these crazy overreaching changes when the changes and add-ons we want are easy and obvious. Anyway rest in peace all hybrid. And for a lot of loyal players since launch... RIP swtor

<<Marcusdarkstar

Edited by freetopl

WoW!

Who the .... figure that paying a second time for my skills (per level of skills) was a good idea? Well tell that gosh darn moron to send me a million gold. I have loads of 55 to redo and I cant afford to do it.

So I paid for an expansion but I wont be able to play it because some ******* made us pay twice for the skills, BRAVO!.

Edited by Ultack

I think it's ridiculous that I have to pay for skills that I already learned, especially since I have to pay for it PER LEVEL. I understand that some of the skills are new and change is something that is going to occur to the classes but this new system is just down right stupid. You give us a 12x xp boost so we can progress to 55 quicker (in time for this update) and then turn around and make us pay again for what we have already learned with what little credits we have received from class missions. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think it's ridiculous that I have to pay for skills that I already learned, especially since I have to pay for it PER LEVEL. I understand that some of the skills are new and change is something that is going to occur to the classes but this new system is just down right stupid. You give us a 12x xp boost so we can progress to 55 quicker (in time for this update) and then turn around and make us pay again for what we have already learned with what little credits we have received from class missions. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I liked how you conveniently left out that you got free skill upgrades during 12x xp. Bottom line is the ability changed, you payed for a different version, so you gotta pay for the upgrade.

I enjoyed the skill tree system, it was nice and simple while still allowing for very powerful combinations for example the pryo mercenary,the beginning of the healing skill tree had a boost to critical hit rate and the fire damage tree increased the damage done by said critical hits.

In short I dislike the changes that have been made so far so while i'm sure you thought it was a marvelous idea it would be nice to have the option to go back to the skill trees, of course that would be the polite way of saying it, what I want to say it that the discipline system only appeals to the mentally retarded and while it is nice that you thought to put in a system so devoid of interest that it could be understood by such people could we please get at least the option to not have to cater to them by giving us the option to have the skill tree, or maybe even you could get some cash out of it by charging people for the right to do so, or what is more likely to happen is that you will give the option to buy additional "utility points" with cartel coins.

Now that I've seen the system in action... It sucks worse than WoW. Nothing but passives. One could completely skip spending any points and nobody would ever notice. There is no customization and no performance enhancements except for a couple that are practically required, which means NO CHOICE.

I liked how you conveniently left out that you got free skill upgrades during 12x xp. Bottom line is the ability changed, you payed for a different version, so you gotta pay for the upgrade.

First that is totally irrelevant to the issue. Second it's not an upgrade. It's just a change.

I finally get my Jugg to the point i really am having fun again playing the class and now your about to take it from me and make me start over. Whats next you'll tell us to get some of those skills it will cost us REAL MONEY Cartel Coins BW likes to call it.

If that is the case, this may be the straw that finally breaks this PLAYERS Back....

I agree with you totally. I had a routine when going up against players and NPC's where I would use a variety of abilities and powers and it really made the game enjoyable for me. Now they have gone and taken most of the powers away from me that I used to use and this has ruined my class now.

And I also leveled 4 pre 12x 55, none of them had close to 900k on them upon reaching 55. And the other 7 I leveled using the 12x were all poor at the end of the process.

All this demonstrates is that you are personally struggling with one of the fundamental parts of any MMO --> economic independence. Frankly, economic independence is an important part of playing an MMO, and this one in my experience makes it easier then most MMOs.

Anyone with 4 pre-12xXP 55s who claims to be broke is simply bad at the economics of playing inside an MMO. Solve this problem and you solve the income issues your are picking at.

Edited by Andryah

Now that I've seen the system in action... It sucks worse than WoW. Nothing but passives. One could completely skip spending any points and nobody would ever notice. There is no customization and no performance enhancements except for a couple that are practically required, which means NO CHOICE.

Passives make a huge change in how you play both defensively and offensively. If they put actual abilities in then you'd actually losing choice not gain, because you would more or less HAVE to pick up ability A or B to be truly viable. I'd like to see you try playing with no utilities, and then comeback and give an honest assessment. It would be a lot more effective then you lamenting about not being able to do what you used to do, and then throwing up hyperbole. No utilities don't change your spec completely, but it's enough flavor to make it interesting and allows for you try different combo's for different situations without having to worry about people creating game breaking hybrids.

First that is totally irrelevant to the issue. Second it's not an upgrade. It's just a change.

Irrelevant, yet you felt the need to reply to me instead of the person who actually brought up the topic... speaks volumes. And whether it's an upgrade or change varies depending on the ability and your personal outlook, nor does it being an upgrade. Yours is obviously a bleak one... Also, either choice of word wouldn't change the point I was making at all.

Edited by TezMoney

I agree with you totally. I had a routine when going up against players and NPC's where I would use a variety of abilities and powers and it really made the game enjoyable for me. Now they have gone and taken most of the powers away from me that I used to use and this has ruined my class now.

They changed the skill system. The only negative effect of any substance is that it removed the viability of hybrid specing... which the new Discipline system was clearly designed to do.

Solution: you embrace the new Discipline system, choose your spec and play away. Sure it requires some adjustment to retune your play style... but that too is pretty normal during the life cycle of any MMO. You probably will respect a couple times to fine tune it too... but respecs are free for subs and it should not take more then an hour or two to re-perfect your play style to the new changes.

OR.. you can continue to curl up in a ball and play victim to the new Disciplines.

Honestly, an hour into playing after the release of 3.0... I've yet to find a "real issue" with any of my characters so far. Then again.... I don't have emotional meltdowns over min/maxing. If I can do the content effectively... then I'm fine.... and frankly play is somewhat different and there were some rotation adjustments to make... but content is completely doable.

In my view... most of the complainers (and I'm NOT singling out any one person here) are bent over having played clases/specs that were poorly balanced and higher powered vs other classes/sepcs.

Anyway.. you have two choices: 1) embrace and adapt...or... 2) curl up and give up.

Edited by Andryah

Passives make a huge change in how you play both defensively and offensively. If they put actual abilities in then you'd actually losing choice not gain, because you would more or less HAVE to pick up ability A or B to be truly viable. I'd like to see you try playing with no utilities, and then comeback and give an honest assessment. It would be a lot more effective then you lamenting about not being able to do what you used to do, and then throwing up hyperbole. No utilities don't change your spec completely, but it's enough flavor to make it interesting and allows for you try different combo's for different situations without having to worry about people creating game breaking hybrids.

Irrelevant, yet you felt the need to reply to me instead of the person who actually brought up the topic... speaks volumes. And whether it's an upgrade or change varies depending on the ability and your personal outlook, nor does it being an upgrade. Yours is obviously a bleak one... Also, either choice of word wouldn't change the point I was making at all.

Just did 18 levels from 10 to 28 allday as im retired with maradur... NO Utilitys picked at all... NO affect what so ever.. The wife used a Inquistor no utilitys same time.. Guess what no diference other than low level charcters are getting slaughtered by silver mobs because allot of the skilsl have moved higher...and or are gone..OR cause we arent sure.. some of the silver mobs damage hasnt been adjusted...

Edited by kongol

And another MMO that change their game for the masses of imbeciles that cant make any choices. Next change will have the players choose a class, period. All the rest will be chosen for you. Edited by Ultack

Just did 18 levels from 10 to 28 allday as im retired with maradur... NO Utilitys picked at all... NO affect what so ever.. The wife used a Inquistor no utilitys same time.. Guess what no diference other than low level charcters are getting slaughtered by silver mobs because allot of the skilsl have moved higher...and or are gone..OR cause we arent sure.. some of the silver mobs damage hasnt been adjusted...

I'm talking about higher level toons, no lowbies where you have few points to spend. Secondly you have more abilities at low level than you did before, that's just a fact. Lastly if you were having such a hard time, clearly you could have used the offensive buffs in both those classes Skillful utilities

I'm talking about higher level toons, no lowbies where you have few points to spend. Secondly you have more abilities at low level than you did before, that's just a fact. Lastly if you were having such a hard time, clearly you could have used the offensive buffs in both those classes Skillful utilities

NO we had a large group ALL the new guys are suffering.... starting to think its mobs not adjusted as strong mobs are tougher than champions...

ERR look at low level Utilitys 1% or so 2% at most..LOL

So basicly only the level 50 and up toons count now.. good to know..

NO we had a large group ALL the new guys are suffering.... starting to think its mobs not adjusted as strong mobs are tougher than champions...

ERR look at low level Utilitys 1% or so 2% at most..LOL

So basicly only the level 50 and up toons count now.. good to know..

pretty much every class has a 25% aoe dmg buff in the first level

pretty much every class has a 25% aoe dmg buff in the first level

yep and its doing diddly squat... at lower levels...I think they failed to reduce some of the mobs damage output on old content...not to mention its tied to a skill in each class that basicly does crap damage to begin with...

Edited by kongol