Visions and Visionaries

Suzina

I had so much fun playing my Sorcerer up to level 45. As someone mentioned, Belsavis was just incredible. I loved it.

Then, I got to Voss. Yuck!

Did Bioware hire some sadist to plan and execute Voss? Up till now I felt that the idea here was to give the player a fun time, a deep storyline, and lots to do!

On Voss, I feel like they tossed all that aside and decided to kill the player, irritate the player (making you fly back every time you die? GAH), and just generally make things suck. :(

This was my Main, and now my Main is a Sith Juggernaut if that tells you anything. I got some help for Zash/Thanaton, but things still are not nearly as fun as before.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This quest was a royal PITA but I managed by using Talos Drellik for Zash and Thanaton, can't really keep staring at my health bar when having to pay attention to what those 2 are casting and to which interrupts are currently available. I'm a corruption specced sorcerer.

What really sucks about this quest is that if you die, you respawn at the medcenter and have to run back (it's not exactly round the corner).

Also, having to basically kill Zash and Thanaton twice (so far, this is at lvl 45, mind) absolutely sucks. I'm totally prepared to face them around level 50 yet again. Sucks. Balls.

Edited by Racquel

• 2 weeks later...
What really sucks about this quest is that if you die, you respawn at the medcenter and have to run back (it's not exactly round the corner).

For me, I've had little trouble; i defeated every boss up to Zash with no problem at all; defeated her in one, although my health got dangerously low. So far with Thanaton, It's not going to badly; I got him down to half health with almost full health, THEN i accidently hit Force Cloak, which unfortunately didn't remove me from combat (as it should) but it did restore Thanaton's health to max, which resulted in my death.

Dieing being the biggest issue, as you say, in this quest. You die, and your respawned along way away, and if you decide to give it a try a bit later, by the time you've returned all the beasts have respawned and you have to clear them before you can begin your fight with Thanaton.

I did this mission solo at lvl 46-47(dinged while clearing through the dreams/nightmare) I am healing spec and I used Khem. I try to keep Khem geared as much as possible.

How I did this:

I made sure to have full hps and force bars. Shield both myself and Khem, let the shield debuff wear off then send in Khem, I would dot up the boss and then use force lightning and lightning strike til Khem's first shield was down, insta reshield him, continue with the dps. Once Khem got to about 60% I would heal him back up using our heal over time and channeled heal which then almost always procs the no cost force conversion for some quick force power back. Once Khem is back up to around 90% or so I would continue with the dps.(I dont remember exact names of abilities, my apologises). I used this method for just about every mission I do(this includes heroic2 and heroic4s solo at lvl or just over-using Whirlwind is a must in these missions as well!)

Now about the interrupts:

I would use Jolt everytime it was off cd as needed as well as electrocute as needed off cd. If you are a first time healer spec it will take some practice healing, dpsing and interrupting all in the same fight but it can be done rather easily with some practice! :)

It sometimes comes to pass that you will be healing almost non-stop. Thats ok, it happens. Get your tank pet back up to full or as close as you can and then shield him and then use your insta-cast Hot on him. That will help with boss hits that blow through the shield quickly and will help to reduce the amount of time you have to heal, allowing you to reapply DoTs or get a lightning strike or force lightning off.

If you are having Force power issues(running out or low) use the talented channeled heal for Force Conversion procs and use them as soon as the channeled heal is finished. If force power is still an issue stop all dps except for DoTs and use the channeled heal everytime it is off CD for the force procs. Use you free-cast saber strike(?) to do extra dps if able to, kiting or LoSin makes this difficult at times though.

Make sure you keep yourself healed as well. I basically heal myself the same way as I heal Khem(see above)

Something that I think many of you may not have access to is the lvl 47(?) ability extricate(spelling?) That spell is incredible for LoS and just plain kiting in general. If nothing else works for you-lvl up some more on Voss or wherever and then try it again after you get Extricate. Trust me you will absolutely love this ability!

I highly recommend that everyone doing this fight read up on the mechanics of it and know what boss abilities need to be interrupted or LoS'd and in what priority. Sometimes you wont have any interrupt available or be close enough to something to LoS fast enough so a priority list can help you decide what to save Jolt or Electrocute for.

I also recommend that folks use heal spec as your go to spec for heroic lvl missions/class stories if you are a Sorc. It does decent dps and the ability to heal your tank pet means you can do heroic2 and 4s solo fairly easily with proper use of CC, LoS, kiting and general knowledge of the mission(what mobs have what abilities, and what they do)

I have even duo'd higher lvl flashpoints with a Jugg friend using his healing pet and my andros as dps. We actually do better in some cases than with a full group of 4 people, lol.

I dont mean any of that to brag either-Im not a powergamer, or some pvp/pve god. I would say the secret is to try to see what each mob/boss does, learn its abilities and counter them. As a Inq I feel that we have tools for almost every situation. Use them when and where needed and use them effectively. Dont be afraid to run away(mobs will lose agro after a short run). Its better to run and not die than it is to die and have a repair bill and a long trek back. Save yourself credits by doing this-use those credits to gear up your companions or yourself!

TL;DR version:

1. Heal spec(if you are assassin I cant help there, my apologizes)

2. Use Khem and make sure you both are geared as best you can.

3. Full hps/force, shield, let shield debuff fade, send in Khem. Dot up boss, force lightning/lightning strike til first shield is down on Khem-reshield, continue dps rotation. Make sure you are keeping your DoTs up on the target. they do great dmg on long boss fights!

4. Once Khem gets to 60% hps heal him making sure to use the HoT and channeled heal for force conversion procs(use proc everytime it pops, great way to get force power back!)

5. Use interrupts as needed according to a priority list(doesnt mean the list has to be written down either, critical thinking/memory serves well here! lol ) :)

6. Out lvl mission if you have to, come back with new abilites(extricate!) and gear.

7. If you arent having fun, you are doing something wrong. Take a break, play an alt, do other missions, walk the dog, get some luvin ;) , etc, etc.

Hopefully this helps those of you having trouble with this class mission and helps you to solo Heroic2s and 4s as well. If anyone would like more info just drop me a line-Im more than happy to help folks with anything I can. I really enjoy this game and want to help others enjoy it as well.

Edited by Nazrax

Against Zash the only thing I ever bothered to interrupt was Chain Lightning. Talos was easily keeping up with her Force Lightning damage, and I could just run away from Force Storm every time. Could have maybe interrupted her heals to make the fight quicker, but it was easy enough to just muscle through her heals and interrupt her biggest damage spell. Definitely make sure you stay away from Talos though! Keep your distance from him so he won't ever be hit by her Force Storm. He will drop quickly and having to shield or heal him is just wasting your force and potential damage on Zash.

I failed this fight every time with other companions. Khem was getting destroyed by her damage, and I couldn't keep him alive and put enough damage on her at the same time. Andronikos and Ashara weren't doing enough damage on their own, and I was running out of force trying to keep myself alive against her.

Darth Thanaton was harder, but still very doable. If you miss an interrupt against Thanaton you will basically die. The guaranteed crit on Thundering Blast if he's Afflicted you TRUCKS your life, and even his Lightning Strike will really put the hurt on you. My first try against Thanaton I was at like 1/3 hp and missed the interrupt on his Thundering Blast and died. Same strategy as Zash though. Basically every time you see him casting anything use whatever interrupt you have. As a hybrid spec Sorcerer you have Jolt, Overload, Electrocute, and Whirlwind plus you have have Carbonized Stream from Talos available to you so as long as you pay close attention you should be totally okay. The only spell you should ignore is Force Storm. There is no need to waste an interrupt on it because you can just move out of its range every time. If anything whenever Zash or Thanaton cast Force Storm you should just treat it as a few seconds of free damage on them because they will just channel it whether or not you are in range.

tldr:

Talos is DEFINITELY who you want to use this quest.

Turn off everything but his heals. Anytime he spends shooting is less time he spends keeping you healthy.

Death Field > Affliction > Force Lightning until Wrath > Crushing Darkness > Force Lightning until Wrath > Chain Lightning as a hybrid Lightning/Madness sorcerer. Obviously cast Static Barrier every time.

Don't bother interrupting Force Storm on Zash or Thanaton. Just run away from it. Save your interrupts for more important spells (especially Thundering Blast from Thanaton).

The meat of that post will probably only really help Sorcerer players, but hopefully any Assassin having trouble can get some insight from the video I posted.

I completed this quest line at 44 last night as a Darkness specced tankassin and didn't have too many problems. It was tough but fun. The above for Zash and Thanaton is good advice and works really well for tanks and was moreorless what I did too. Just keep on top of the interrupts seems to be the key (which is a challenge in itself: trying to watch the casting animations and the buff bar at the same time is not easy at all). I used Talos as well but didn't turn off all of his abilities (which would've been a better idea but didn't occur to me!).

Standard rotation seems to work well: I kept Wither and Discharge debuffs up all the time and did the usual thrash for energise > shock > then Force Lightening for the heal once three charges of Harnessed Darkness were up, adding in Recklessness whenever it was up too. Assassinate as much as possible at <30% health and whenever exploitive strikes is up (if you have it). Kept Dark Ward up all the time too of course. The additional charge that comes from spamming Wither really helps to get 3 harnessed darkness charges up quickly and I used Force Lightning whenever I could and far more than usual for the extra healing which seemed to help a lot.

I've also started using Defelction more proactively and earlier in fights (at around 80% health) and it seems to work much better at staying on top of the healing for the rest of the fight, particularly in this quest line.

I had far more problems with the single Garnack Champion (or whatever its called) that spawns in either this quest chain or the related Dreamwalker quests (can't remember which - yes there are more!). That one chewed my Dark Ward charges to shreds in seconds and beat me to within about 2% health before I got him with a luckily timed Assassinate.

If you're having trouble, follow Mr_Plum's advice above and keep at it - it took me 8 times to beat Zash at the end of Chapter 1 so I know how frustrating this can be but these quests are doable if you get your interupts right. Good Luck!

I have died a few times on various quests during my SI adventure but this wasn't one of them. I'm heal spec so one on one fights don't really do much to threaten me. I used Revel and just kept us topped off while I dotted. Heal spec is really superior for these kinds of fights. I've even soloed bosses(can take forever) as heals that would have wiped a dps spec in less than a minute. The trade off is it takes longer to run through regular and strong mobs.

I wouldn't actually complain about having to spawn at the nearest med center when I die (since using a med probe won't make sense story-line wise), but why am I getting all my armour broken for fights in my dream? :rolleyes:

It would be a lot more palatable if there is no damage to armour for this dreamwalker questline. Ah well.

ok well i did this at 43 as a sorcerorer i was heals and it was fairly basic i didnt dodge storms (well my khem didnt) i just healed and had him in attack stance i used my aoe heal for a good hot shielded him and i did use electrocute when he got below 25% i didnt interupt or use any other cooldowns just electrocute and pure heals i suggest this for people who have good character but not good pet gear. you could put your pet on passice to avoid storm but i didnt need to it seemed rather easy as a healer with khem ( i did try it with my pirate first but he dropped like panties on prom night) :p

I'm trying this as a Healer at lvl 46 (started at 44, but died too many times and gave up for 2 lvls), tried both Khem and Ashara and it's kicking my ***. I'm tired of it and really want to play, but cannot move past this quest. I cannot tank this quest myself because I'm too squishy, or I'd use Talos -- and he's not a good tank himself.

I'm geared up as much as I can (can't buy/make gear any better than what I've got) and I'm frickin' tired of having to drive all the way back to the fight. Hell, some times I don't even make it back to my starting point because of the respawned mobs. If any planet was one to make me no longer buy a time card for the game, this is the one.

No, not in a guild and don't have a friend. I've solo'd this entire game up to this point. I should *not* have to bring someone in to help on a main storyline quest.

Those stupid skills that interrupt casting, seem to take too long to cool down, and by the time I get to use them again, I'm dead. Tired. Bah.

Just done this as a Deception Assassin, level 43 with Ashara. It was hard work, but a really satisfying encounter.

Basically, I started by clearing the mobs. Then into Dark Charge and each opponent bar the first got the same opening treatment: electrocute, force cloak, withdraw, wait for FC to come back then stealth in and Mind Trap the target to let me position for a solid Maul. Wait for full Force, pop my crit relic and go for it with Maul, VS, VS, Shock and then into whatever came up. Interrupts a go-go, shifting out of area effects and the odd medpack, and the only time I went down was when Zash somehow used the Force to lag spike me (there's a trick I'd love to learn for PvP). The mobs didn't respawn for me when I went back in.

The three 11K mobs en route to Zash were, for me at least, 2x11K and a 4500, so I Mind Trapped one of the 11Ks, put Ashara on the other, hit the 4500 as hard as I could and went on to back up Ashara before we took the last 11K together.

Patience seemed to be the most important thing for me - I spent a lot of time between fights seething my health back up and waiting for everything to CD and become available again.

ETA: Reading back everyone else's responses again, looks like I got lucky.

Edited by Shinybum

I really don't know why it should be fun to defeat all Past Encounters again.

Zash was a pain in the first place, and her being even level again doesn't makes it fun to play at all.

If I think I have Thanaton ahead of me .. maybe I stop playing this character at all :(

Was fun so far .. but well

I just ran around hiding behind pillars so he didnt have a direct shot. Used a lot of slowing moves. stun him when your a decent distance, and lay on the dps ( I used thundering blast and affliction). As long as you keep your slow effect on he cant usually catch up.

Just finished this quest as a lvl 44 with madness spec. Didnt have much trouble with Zash after upgrading Khem's mods and enhancements, but Thanaton was whooping my butt repeatedly. Checked here and found strat about using the rock column to LoS his spells and then it was a piece of cake. Don't think I even bothered using my own interrupts. Just ran around the post with Talos healing me and popping off dps when Thanaton wasnt casting something. No more wasting time running all the way back from the respawn point. Thank goodness!

• 4 weeks later...
None of this make any sense, I am a Lvl 42 Sith assassin with 31/0/2 build and a decent rotation, i defeated zash farily easily considering how many other people 2-3 levels above me where having alot more trouble, after i kill zash is thanaton, andhe crushes me, even with a tank build while using Talos , can somebody explain this to me? he onehits me about 2-3 min in to the fight by his lightning attack, but this happens when im above 75% hp, i dont understand this, and from just seeing where these fights take place im simply assuming nobody can help youwith them... if a guildie could help me i could have it done very fast and continue on voss, i only had this problem when i was a lower level on balmorra fighting the colicoid broodmaster, everything since then has been fairly simple to complete, yeah i may like more of a challenge but this is ridiculous, especially when i hear lvl 47's some igher dieing the same place i am, all i really wanna know is if you can have a friend help you kill these elites???? if i could have an answer it will make me determine wether to creat a new character or not

• 3 weeks later...

This quest is pretty ridiculous. The closest I have gotten to killing Thanaton is about one quarter health. I don't understand how most of the game is super easy, then they decide to throw this crap in. I've pissed away more money on medpacs and repair bills than I care to think about.

Solo quests should not be this difficult, period. I'll continue to try, but this will likely be what pushes me away from the game and causes me to unsubscribe.

This class quest is insanely hard.

I had to get help for it. My fight against one boss alone required me to never miss an inturrupt, and as a healer to combo resurgance (for crit from force bending), innervate (for force surge to make consumption free) and then consompution to restore my health. If I got unlucky with the crits 3 times in a row, I lost. If I missed an inturrupt on her twice in a row, I lost because one boss could two-shot Khem Val. And I had to keep this up for over 5 minutes of fighting.

This is the same level as the quest. Underlevel? forget it. That was fine for the previous quests in the chain, but not this one.

EDIT: Also frustrating with this quest, if you die in the dream there's no medical probe and no respawn location nearby. You have to drive from town each time. And there's a spot to the right archway where if you jump trying to avoid some golden crab dreams, you get stuck and /stuck always kills you, never actually unstucks you.

HMM,

youve got to be doing something wrong... on my sorc(madness spec) i completed EVERY class quest (including Visions and Visionaries) 2-3 levels under the required level including Thanaton (beat him at 48), and on my tankassin did it again beating Thanaton at level 47.

and i had no help other than my pet khem at 1st (andronikas on my assasin) then talos almost exclusively after he became avaliable.

try adding accuracy its what i did! while useless to sorcs at 50 ,when leveling, and your r fighting NPCs 2-4 levels higher than you it makes a HUGE difference.

Edited by arreven

Words cannot describe how pissed off this mission has made me. I had to log off just there cause any more tries I would have broken something.

I'm a level 48 sorc! Well overlevelled for it and can't even get past Zash. Used stims, medlpacs and my heroic moment but of course she still nukes the **** out of me too fast. This wouldn't even annoy me too much if you weren't forced to only respawm at a medcenter, which of course is on the other side of that part of the map, meaning you have to run through endless amounts of nexu and, as I unfortunately experience some lag, one of the prerequisites of lag is that you are thrown into every mob around and then your game subsequently freezes momentarily so you get knocked off your speeder. After running at a snails pace, spamming static shield on myself as I run from about 5 mobs of nexu, enough is enough. I'll get a guild member to help me out tomorrow but seriously bioware, how f'ing ridiculously hard! And from reading this I see that's not even the end of it. Absolutely insane. I normally always joke that this game is so easy, but this mission is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Hochspitch

I managed to finish the quest at level 47. 23/0/18 (well, right now, 21/0/17). Originally after trying my usual Andronikos, and losing about 4 times, I switched over to Talos and had him support my health while stunning both bosses. I found Zash tougher than Thanaton, but both battles were very difficult.

However as soon as I finished, I found a much bigger problem. I'm bugged at the conversation with Horak Mul. The conversation freezes after the first dialogue choice and I can't progress. I've moved onto a few different quests, but getting back onto my class quest would be nice if that bug can be sorted out.

Edit:

It seems to have resolved itself after leaving the area, logging out, quitting and logging back in.

Edited by The-Hostiles

After having got stuck for four flipping levels trying to off Zash back at the end of Act One, I frankly began to wonder if the 'waking nightmare' theme was getting a bit meta when her ghost killed me for the second time in here...

The 'kicked back to the med centre rather than being able to res in the cave is *immensely* annoying, in my view, rather like the pre-fix Lightspring quest for the Smuggler, where death meant a full reset of the instance and a long trek back... I did think these 'not there for any reason other than to be frustrating' roadblocks were being treated as bugs and getting removed. I managed it at level 46, though it was one of those fights that was very much in question till the moment she fell down.

Mostly Madness specced assassin, with lightning charge active and Talos doing the the 'keeping me alive' thing.

I think part of the problem is she kept ccing him, so he wasn't healing me. I know Zash is... well, she's Zash, and Talos is a red-blooded male after all, but I do wish he'd pay attention...

Again, I don't think the difficulty is so much the problem- story-wise... she's Zash, you're in your dreamscape confronting what the Inquisitor's therapist would almost certainly decide was your character's biggest psychiatric issue of all time... so she needs to be a tough fight, *but* the stupidly annoying 'go back to medcentre' random limitation *is* uncalled for, and that's what probably needs changing. Especially as the medcentre in question is miles away... *and* it's a dream sequence, you don't actually *die*... so you ought to respawn 'outside the dream' lying dazed by the vase of hallucinogenic chemicals or whatever it is.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't hate the fact that I have died so many times in this quest. What I hate is how I can't use a medical probe here. I have to go all the way back to a med station and re-kill all the gold animal things I had killed before. Bioware needs to add a medical probe option here or they need to make it so monsters don't respawn.