Crafting Skills ???

GalaxyStrong

Skills are not per companion, they are per character. Each of your characters can have 3 crew skills, 1 of which can be a crafting skill. All of your companions share those 3 skills.

If you want to have more than 1 crafting skill, you need to start a new character for each of them.

Just a quick NOOB questions

Can my follower's each have their own 1 crafting skill 2 crew skills or do they all automatically use the same one's I have chosen for my original follower.

Basically every companion on your main character will have the same 1 crafting skill and 2 crew skills that you choose when you reach level 10. The only way around this is to have multiple characters with different crafting and crew skill sets for each one.

Basically every companion on your main character will have the same 1 crafting skill and 2 crew skills that you choose when you reach level 10. The only way around this is to have multiple characters with different crafting and crew skill sets for each one.

Ok I got it. :cool:

So what would be in your (and other readers) opinion my best choice to start out with on crafting and crew skills.

Curently I have them set as Cybertech, Underworld Trading and Treasure Hunting. My Gut tells me to dump Cybertech and Underworld Trading and keep Treasure Hunting (but I have heard Treasure hunting Crits are broken).:cool:

There is no evidence that any crits are broken, first of all.

Second, your crew skills are somewhat determined by your choice of a crafting skill. For each crafting skill, there is a matching gathering skill (green and white crafting materials from harvest nodes and missions) and mission skill (blue and purple crafting materials, as well as other stuff). Rather than tell you to look it up or read the Codex, here are the combinations:

• Armormech - Scavenging - Underworld Trading
  • Armstech - Scavenging - Investigation
  • Artifice - Archaeology - Treasure Hunting
  • Biochem - Bioanalysis - Diplomacy
  • Cybertech - Scavenging - Underworld Trading
  • Synthweaving - Archaeology - Underworld Trading

As for what they actually do? That you can figure out on your own :p. If you want something that is useful to everyone and can be helpful with your alts, I'd suggest Cybertech. One reason is that you can craft item mods that any of your alts, whatever class, can use. Another is that if you later decide to level an Armormech or Armstech, you can use your Cybertech to harvest mats to grind up quickly (if you've leveled up in Scavenging). Finally, if you've leveled up in Underworld Trading, you can get special crafting mats for an alt that goes Armormech or Synthweaving and have that alt pick Slicing instead of UT.

But that's just one way to go.

Edited by finelinebob

Thanks:D but I don't understand the 2nd part why does it matter if I start ALTs (I assume you mean Alternate characters) now or latter. :confused:

Doesn't matter really, you can buy everything you need, or make it. I've found the most useful skill for me was Cybertech (armor mods etc.) Second was Armormech or Synthweaving to put the mods in. Third was Artifice or Armstech (weapons and mods) and Biochem is just plain useful. Think I'm missing one.

For your first character, I would suggest going biochem with Diplomacy and Bioanalysis. That way you can make your own reusable adrenals, stims, and medpacs every 8 levels or so.

The other skills aren't going to be useful to you without a lot of money.. That's sadly just the way it is. If you try and use them effectively as you level, you're just always going to be behind on them - so you have to level them up ahead of where you're at, which costs more money than a first time character would likely have.

For a first character, I would recommend going Bioanalysis, Scavenging, and Slicing. Bio and Scavenging both get materials for popular crafting professions (Biochem for Bioanalysis and Cybertech (and now Armormech because of Augments) for Scavenging) and Slicing is a gathering profession that lets you gather money. If you decide to craft beginning at level 10, just be aware that (like most MMOs) leveling up your crafting is fairly expensive, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll run out of credits and not be able to afford other things that get fairly expensive (like speeder training at 25). The best thing to do is wait until you have a level 50 character with a large number of credits (I had close to a million before I started), then use that money and the money from doing dailies to level up a crafting profession. You can also start out alts crafting at lower levels, and they'll have a bit easier time doing it if you fund them from your main.