Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder...do the devs read this stuff? I know mods do but does the info get passed to people that can impact the game? If they do read all this stuff (which I honestly don't think they do) then they would not implement this system. There are way more people that are against the rep system then for it.

I, for one, really love new content...but almost everything that's "new" in this game is either a) not new and just repackaged old stuff, or b) only half works (at best) and never gets fixed/completed.

Edited by SuperUsti

Please don't follow Blizzards mistake with REP grinds. This is a fail model. Just look at Mists Of Pandaria.

Rep grinds are just a poor way of getting us to prolong subscriptions.

I came back to swtor because I got sick of grinding poor reputation grinds to get gated gear.

The rep grind was a sure way of getting a player burned out real fast.

Your Cartel Shop and Legacy is an excellent feature.

Please stick with this and don't think that World Of Dailies Rep model is better.

Please don't follow Blizzards mistake with REP grinds. This is a fail model. Just look at Mists Of Pandaria.

Rep grinds are just a poor way of getting us to prolong subscriptions.

I came back to swtor because I got sick of grinding poor reputation grinds to get gated gear.

The rep grind was a sure way of getting a player burned out real fast.

Your Cartel Shop and Legacy is an excellent feature.

Please stick with this and don't think that World Of Dailies Rep model is better.

SWTOR already has it's burn out end game grind called daily comms for top end gear. Same thing different package.

What is of issue regarding 1.7 is the attempt to make this "sound new" and "sound wonderful". When it is not really that new ( as far as ideas are concerned ) and recycles old content many don't find worth the effort to attempt.

Putting a "new incentive" in the game to play old failed content really isn't imaginitive. No amount of CS shinies can distract from this failed attempt at serving up stone soup! :cool:

SWTOR already has it's burn out end game grind called daily comms for top end gear. Same thing different package.

What is of issue regarding 1.7 is the attempt to make this "sound new" and "sound wonderful". When it is not really that new ( as far as ideas are concerned ) and recycles old content many don't find worth the effort to attempt.

Putting a "new incentive" in the game to play old failed content really isn't imaginitive. No amount of CS shinies can distract from this failed attempt at serving up stone soup! :cool:

Ah but I'm not forced to dailies every day to advance. Where with the WOW model. If you don't do dailies, you don't receive the rep, can't get your three useless coins for LFR /Raids and your valor is capped at 1000. This is because LFR drops are horrible and if you don't do dailies then raiding guilds will not raid with you.

If I grind the dailies every day in SWTOR, I am not capped out plus your not forced into using valor to get gear with in SWTOR.

If I want gear I can do all the GF stuff and get BH comms which will get me gear where with WOW there is slight chance at poor gear drop ratios and because your valor is capped at 1000 you cannot buy that one piece until next week if capped at 1000 because the cheapest is 1250. To get a head piece will take 3 weeks to aquire as it is 2250 plus it i also locked behind a tier of rep, so you are forced to grind each rep to unlock that item . For 3 weeks my poor monk healer received no gear and was stuck at ilvl 475. In one day I have had a guildy almost full rak gear with a piece of BH gear in SWTOR.

I really love doing Section X. I love knowing that I'm getting rewarded well for my effforts. Black Hole are fast and efficient making them also great to grind.

Edited by keitzy

Im going to call you on the daily comms grind, because its hardly anything at all. Took me a week to get both DG relics. On top of that, you can only obtain BH comms from the weekly's, so essentially after you are done with your relic "grind" (if you even want to call it that) you only need to do a full set of section-x and BH dailys ONCE a week.

I doubt the rewards are going to be required, and id say its going to be more unique looks and possibly some mounts. None of which you actually need!

This is a good way to use some systems they already have in place to offer different progression paths for different players.

Im going to call you on the daily comms grind, because its hardly anything at all. Took me a week to get both DG relics. On top of that, you can only obtain BH comms from the weekly's, so essentially after you are done with your relic "grind" (if you even want to call it that) you only need to do a full set of section-x and BH dailys ONCE a week.

I doubt the rewards are going to be required, and id say its going to be more unique looks and possibly some mounts. None of which you actually need!

This is a good way to use some systems they already have in place to offer different progression paths for different players.

Nothing to call me on. There isn't a theme park game that doesn't have some sort of end game grind. Many opt for the daily route. SWTOR has it's dailies. They are in the game (even Heroics are dailey repeatable). Dailes = grind. It could be long ( in most cases) or trivial ( like SWTOR). There are those that don't like dailies or grinding. WoW IMNSHO, found an interesting way to make dailes seem well ... interesting, by having changing daily quests and phased content ( where changes are visible for the results achieved ). SWTORs poorly conceived dailies have none of this. Like the game itself. Your "choices" don't amount to a hill of beans. :cool:

There is nothing different about this grind. It's the exact same mechanic, and will appeal to (or be accessible to) the exact same set of players that the other grind mechanics in the game do. This is not a "progression" path either. It's just another arbitrary grind for another arbitrary set of stuff. Nothing about it allows anyone to get any of the existing endgame gear in any different way, or even to get new stuff in any new way.

The only thing "different" about it is they slapped the word "Reputation" onto the screen with all the little green bars that need to be filled up instead of "Commendations."

I'm really only ever unsatisfied with content when a new feature is full of bugs and/or not fully implemented.

All of Sirius' post is good.... but especially this. I've no problem with getting a copy of the LotRO rep system, so long as we don't get a copy of the LotRO bug system.

As for the space rep, I doubt many players will even try for it considering, they nerfed the hell out of the credits earned and not too mention, many players feel space missions are too hard to complete.

Myself, I picked up the parts needed for the ship to compete in these "heroic" misisons but soon as they nerfed the creidts I stopped doing them.

Will the new reputation make them seem more attractive to run them? Not in the least.

Edited by RikHar

Well.. 22 pages of pretty much the same conversation.

Roughly 95% of the minority of people who cared enough to post in this thread say this is not worth it and want 1 of 3 items instead:

Fixed that for you. Fact is, on any mmo forum, it's often the discontent who post most and especially for changes, the people who hate it.

Not really - daily comms are bound to character. I need to grind 600 comms for *each* character if I want DG relics.

This is legacy wide, so if I grind it once, all my characters can benefit. Indeed, doing daily grinds with multiple characters all contributes into the one big rep pool.

I wish they didn't make these so heroic dependant though. I know I tend to favor doing my "daily grind" when I don't have a lotta people otherwise avaliable. right now the set up looks as follows:

1: Voss heroics even assuming this is just the heroics already there, you'll need a group at 50 for it. I trtied soloing trial of the first yesterday (I suspect at 50 with good gear they'll be duoable however)

2: section X (mostly soloable except for long shots, you get rep from doing the WEEKLY)

3: space heroics (soloable but honestly kinda hard)

4: The gree event on Illum, which will take place in the PVP zone.

as such there's no real "solo grind" option. which honestly BW? could be a problem. your game is terriably unfriendly to soloists and while I have no problem with grouping or finding groups, I occasionally like to acheive things by myself. BW should really try to make SOME end game for people who don't group up much. especially in light of the fact that many people play this game as an extension of KOTOR. for a game where leveling is so solo friendly, end game is rather differnt. remember we don't need rep grind to access high end stuff, many people would be content with getting cosmetic goodies

Edited by BrianDavion

This is legacy wide, so if I grind it once, all my characters can benefit. Indeed, doing daily grinds with multiple characters all contributes into the one big rep pool.

True, but the way it reads it appears the weekly cap will apply across your legacy; so if you hit your cap for rep points in the week on one toon, that's it for the week. Not that you're going to be starving for more of this most likely, but it doesn't appear you could do the grind over and over on several characters to get any more rep points in a week than you could with just one.

You can at least do parts of it on different toons though, and that's not a horrible idea. But since it's all apparently 47+ content, you can't really make any progress on rep while leveling alts, which is one of the (small) upsides to the legacy grind. At least you feel like, with the legacy points, you're gaining a little bit of something on it every time you do anything in the game. This is just another hurry-up-and-wait "endgame" grind.

One week to get 600 comms?

Forgive me, but it just doesn't sound right.

According to dulfy.net, the current max is 571 per week, so he's not far off. But you can only hit that if you're doing every single daily on every planet, every day, and all the space and group finder missions besides. For someone whose only job is playing this game, it's pretty doable.

I will agree that right now the one thing I don't mind about the dailies is that I largely don't have to do them. In the process of gearing up my 50s I just do the groupfinder daily and if I feel like it, I'll throw in the section x/black hole

weeklies.

But for a game that has such well defined factions (republic and imperial), it makes me a little upset when they show a reputation system that doesn't interact with the cross faction dynamic in any meaningful way. Right now the only cross faction interplay is very shallow and only touched upon in pvp warzones (and even then, not always.)

I'd much rather see faction wide benefits for increasing reputation for a given group, and furthermore an introduction to the cross faction tension that is supposed to exist in this world. Make us compete to keep the gree and the voss happy, then give us perks for doing so. Allow one side to be the clearly defined winner for set period and reap the rewards for it.

They don't have to be amazing rewards, they could be minor conveniences or quality of life improvements that in aggregate give incentive to keep receiving them.

The other issue I have with this system is that, unless I'm reading it wrong, it's a very shallow implementation of how you gain fame. You don't gain reputation by actually helping a given group... you get reputation by trading items to a given group. It's an extremely cheap way to implement it. I don't gain rep with the voss by killing gormak or completing quests for them, I get an item reward for completing heroics and then I trade the item back to them and they suddenly like me more.

BW already seems to think it's ok to just add daily quests whenever they introduce a new system, we need to let them know that we expect and deserve better.

The only reason people do Hardmode Flashpoints these days is for the black hole commendations you get from doing the daily group finder quest. In some flashpoints you can run through the entire flashpoint in about 5 minutes, skipping almost all of the content to get credit at the end.

Instead of taping on daily quests when they want to introduce something new, Bioware needs to take the time to make this old content worth doing for the content itself, and then add on the daily reward as a bonus, not the sole reason for doing it. Give us real rewards for doing the heroics, let us earn rep for mobs killed or quest objectives completed, as well as the choice at the end for further rep gains or comms, or mods or something. Allow the rep items to drop randomly from appropriate mobs. Allow item drops that don't just turn into vendor trash.

I read this blog and the whole time I just kept seeing the subtext flashing "we have no ideas that are creative or original. We hope you can't see that though, have some titles!"

And frankly, if we don't want to be treated like this we have to let them know it's not ok.

Because this isn't ok.

Nothing to call me on. There isn't a theme park game that doesn't have some sort of end game grind. Many opt for the daily route. SWTOR has it's dailies. They are in the game (even Heroics are dailey repeatable). Dailes = grind. It could be long ( in most cases) or trivial ( like SWTOR). There are those that don't like dailies or grinding. WoW IMNSHO, found an interesting way to make dailes seem well ... interesting, by having changing daily quests and phased content ( where changes are visible for the results achieved ). SWTORs poorly conceived dailies have none of this. Like the game itself. Your "choices" don't amount to a hill of beans. :cool:

I totally have to disagree here, but I guess this is a matter of taste. Phasing and dailies became the most inconvenient grind imaginable if you play with other people. If you were on different phases, then you're just not gonna be able to do them all with your friends. I remember having a group that I used to do the Firelands dailies with. Someone missed a day, and due to the cycling nature of the "random" quests, their dailies became out of synch. Phasing was one of the least immersive mechanics they introduced, and I am grateful it hasn't made it's way onto SWTOR.

Fixed that for you. Fact is, on any mmo forum, it's often the discontent who post most and especially for changes, the people who hate it.

I love it when people use this line to try and minimize the importance of direct customer feedback. Whether you like it or not, the things posted here constitute concrete feedback from customers. Its up to EA to weigh it, but it is not insignificant.

Some of you guys fail to see the point here. It's not that dailies are hard to run, it's that players are bored to death of running these same dailies every single day. Day after day of the same thing gets very old, very quick.

This is what most players see as a problem and not the difficulty of doing them.

Some of you guys fail to see the point here. It's not that dailies are hard to run, it's that players are bored to death of running these same dailies every single day. Day after day of the same thing gets very old, very quick.

This is what most players see as a problem and not the difficulty of doing them.

This x1000

I totally have to disagree here, but I guess this is a matter of taste. Phasing and dailies became the most inconvenient grind imaginable if you play with other people. If you were on different phases, then you're just not gonna be able to do them all with your friends. I remember having a group that I used to do the Firelands dailies with. Someone missed a day, and due to the cycling nature of the "random" quests, their dailies became out of synch. Phasing was one of the least immersive mechanics they introduced, and I am grateful it hasn't made it's way onto SWTOR.

As you said it's a matter of taste. I think the phasing mechanic that was used from Cata Firelands forward is more forgiving though. As is the one in MoP. I like the phasing effect because it shows effects of your character's actions on the gaming world. I agree there are some rough spots like, being out of phase with friends. I think overall this is surmountable. While still a grind, I would rather have something that feels emersive than something that is nothing more than a straight hamster-wheel-skinner-box grind. :cool:

Edited by Urael

WHY is there not a +1 BUTTON for posts on this forum?

This is just another hurry-up-and-wait "endgame" grind.

In some ways that's better, because there's no pressure to do the same things over and over and get fed up. If you know it's going to take a while, then one can just plod along with it, shrug and move on to something else.