Gear requirement for level 55 Hardmodes?

I just tried out my first level 55 Hardmode for Elite comms, got Athiss, and was doing fine till the final boss. We wiped once 'coz I accidentally attracted a mob from the next room (my fault). Then we wiped twice more, because the tank failed to avoid the fire, and then the healer went AFK. Then I got kicked from the FP because apparently my gear was too low.

The guy that kicked me told me that I have to be in Elite gear to play these flashpoints. But these are the flashpoints that drop Elite gear and comms, how on earth am I supposed to be in the gear which comes at the end of the Flashpoint? The whole point of playing 55 HMs is to GET Elite gear, now I am told that I have to already be in Elite gear. Then the next FP I try, Cademimu, the healer just says "too squishy" and leaves. Anyone have any advice on getting gear for these FPs? i currently have 2 Basic pieces, 3 PvP Partisan pieces, and the rest are Black Hole/Campaign gear.

The gear requirement per BW is 148, which is level 62 gear (lvl 66 blue gear). You defiantly do not need elite or even basic gear to do these FPs, and based on the gear you mentioned you are over geared.

The 2 new FPs are over tuned, and probably need minimum 66 gear, but other than that you should be good.

The gear requirement per BW is 148, which is level 62 gear (lvl 66 blue gear). You defiantly do not need elite or even basic gear to do these FPs, and based on the gear you mentioned you are over geared.

The 2 new FPs are over tuned, and probably need minimum 66 gear, but other than that you should be good.

Thanks for the response. Considering that most of my gear is 63s or higher, I guess I am in alright gear then. I'll try the Flashpoints again and hope I get a better result.

Just as an aside, aren't there too many numeric systems all relating to gear levels out there? Mod numbers, armor numbers, item levels. For example, armoring level 28 in gear raises it to 66 and 155. Its needless complication IMO

/soapbox

Thanks for the response. Considering that most of my gear is 63s or higher, I guess I am in alright gear then. I'll try the Flashpoints again and hope I get a better result.

You are geared well enough, but it can be a near thing at times. I'm guessing you're a Sin from your comments. There are times where I'll take next to no damage and others where it looks like I'm running around in a paper bag. That said, if you're in 63 purples it should definitely be a non-issue if you're specced correctly and have your defense/shield/absorb up. It can be a near thing on the bonus bosses as they tend to be above and beyond the mains, but as long as your healer is on point it and you situate yourself so that you don't go flying off the map you'll be fine.

You are learning the rules though: when anything goes wrong, blame the tank =p

If you have any green pieces of any kind, such as level 43 relics, implants or earpieces, you aren't ready.

If you don't have gear of level 61 or 63 or 66 you aren't ready. Rakata is not enough. If you're in 61 or 63 or 66, please be augmented at least to level 6 augments.

I'd never join a group without wearing that level gear, and I'll never kick someone that is wearing that level gear. Fair trade.

Just as an aside, aren't there too many numeric systems all relating to gear levels out there? Mod numbers, armor numbers, item levels. For example, armoring level 28 in gear raises it to 66 and 155. Its needless complication IMO

/soapbox

I agree. I find it all confusing at times.

If you have any green pieces of any kind, such as level 43 relics, implants or earpieces, you aren't ready.

If you don't have gear of level 61 or 63 or 66 you aren't ready. Rakata is not enough. If you're in 61 or 63 or 66, please be augmented at least to level 6 augments.

I'd never join a group without wearing that level gear, and I'll never kick someone that is wearing that level gear. Fair trade.

Every piece is level 50 purple or above. Except one level 53 blue implant

Hmm.. Augments? I seriously thought people only augmented when they had got a set of gear which they knew they weren't gonna replace for a while. Back to grinding dailies I guess.

What I don't get is why people grind dailiies, do people really find it that hard to make money/gear from their crew skills?

I've done each daily area once ( they are boring and I don't need their comms and I'm not wasting my time for reputation that only gives me "pretty gear" ) and I only have 1 character so no trading between my toons etc.

66's are so easy to get since you can get all the mats and a crew skill you need to at least make one type of 66 - mod/enhancement/armor/hilt/crystal - then you make excess of whatever you make and sell them to buy what you couldn't make. Only on average 50K a pop also.

So yeah I agree noone sub 61 should be even attempting HM FPs imo but really most people should be 63/66 easy, it's mods to get. You say everything is over 50 ... you are undergeared. I'm talking pure purple mods too, I don't see the issue with taking blue over purple at 66 considering the price involved.

As to augs I don't think they are pre-requisite personally if you have 66s anyway, they are nice though.

Yes advice is to only aug your final gear but let's be honest .. .whoever gets gear and assumes it's their final gear? Often I've augmented everything just to come across something that looks better so I whip off it's mods, whip off my current gears mod, put them on new gear, augment new gear and done. Costs about 100K to augments ( if you already ahve the augs ) and another 30-40K to change over the mods per piece of gear.

Another option here though is if you find a nice piece of gear you like check GTN for an augmented version of it ( providing it's not the usual BOP stuff you find as drops ). I've found GTN gear buyers are somewhat stupid and will opt for an un-augmented piece of gear 20K cheaper than the augmented piece even though it would cost them 100K to aug their new gear ( high level gear I'm talking here ) , a frustration I have selling augmented sabers so you can use my frustration to your benefit as a buyer. :D

After having done too many of these, here is the scoop. Forget about gear levels.

1. Tank - minimum 28k, use line of sight for difficult pulls (Athiss has one really bad one).

2. DPS - minimum 25k, use stims and click your relics

3. Heals - minimum 25k, you need to know the fights (some need cleanse or group dies)

If you have trouble getting these numbers use the makeb planetary com vendor and build some orange gear.

If you want good gear and have credits, go to the GTN and buy Advanced armorings/mods/enhancements 28, they're usually about 40k per slot, or go to the Makeb vendor and use planetary/warzone comms to buy level 25 mods (the equivalent of Rakata before the level cap increase)

Rakata level gear is OK for the level 50 hard modes, but not for 55 HMs -- for those, you may be OK with full Partisan tank set. Anything less will require a LOT of work by the healer -- it may be do-able, but it isn't likely to be fun. Edited by Ancaglon

• 3 weeks later...
Well at least you got into the FP, on my server all of the new ops even on story mode they say looking for heals, dpss and tank so I have one of each all geared in 66 mods wand everything that can be augmented is with a lvl 9 aug and an artifact level 55 augment, so my gear is as good as it will get until I get into these ops, well so I pass the gear check then I get the "but You must have done it before to come alond...uhm ok so I am asking to gao as a healer, that is a reactive role, you do not need much strategy for healing u ust need to know how to do it, but so now I am in a guild that if I am lucky we have 3 ppl on and I cannot get into these new ops because I haven't been in them....kind of a joke, whet the heck is story mode for if not for people to go through and learn?

(...) whet the heck is story mode for if not for people to go through and learn?

True, and I think you've been unlucky on your attempts. Your gear should be good enough for story, and as you show an interest to learn the fight that should be enough for most groups.

Rakata level gear is OK for the level 50 hard modes

Um, considering you only ever got Columi gear in the lvl 50 Hard Modes, Rakata is more than ok for them. At launch we were doing some of them when we didn't even have Tionese, and after we had full Columi we were able to clear all the other Hard Modes.

• 5 months later...
Um, considering you only ever got Columi gear in the lvl 50 Hard Modes, Rakata is more than ok for them. At launch we were doing some of them when we didn't even have Tionese, and after we had full Columi we were able to clear all the other Hard Modes.

exactly; rakata was good enough for nightmare ops, there was nothing better. it was over geared for hard modes

Players love roflstomping when it go to commendation runs.

But for fresh 55s... it is a pain with that mentality.

Let see, single blue 66 item is something like 5 - 15k on GTN, go grind Black Hole & Section X weeklies and you have enough credits for full blue 66 (blue 53 ear & implant drops included).

It is more than enough for 55 HM FPs (only CZ ones can be issue, there are some mechanics that may require purple 66s or very good group). If you do CZ ones too you will have some more 66 (blue & purple), Blue 66 on Oricon is doable if you know when to interrupt, change target & stun.

Oricon give almost full purple 66 set, credits and bunch of basic comms.

If you do those weeklies above you will net something like 100 - 140 basic comms (69s) and good enough gear for 55 HM FPs & old 55 SM OPs (TC, SnV, TFB). DF/DP SM require 69s for not experienced players (last 2 bosses in both SMs drop some 72s).

Classic comms you get from 50 HM FPs, 50 OPs (3 pre quest + 3 weeklies) = level 50 relics (more than enough for 55 HM FP/55 SM OPs).

Edited by morfius

Well at least you got into the FP, on my server all of the new ops even on story mode they say looking for heals, dpss and tank so I have one of each all geared in 66 mods wand everything that can be augmented is with a lvl 9 aug and an artifact level 55 augment, so my gear is as good as it will get until I get into these ops, well so I pass the gear check then I get the "but You must have done it before to come alond...uhm ok so I am asking to gao as a healer, that is a reactive role, you do not need much strategy for healing u ust need to know how to do it, but so now I am in a guild that if I am lucky we have 3 ppl on and I cannot get into these new ops because I haven't been in them....kind of a joke, whet the heck is story mode for if not for people to go through and learn?

Well just keep trying I guess. 2 weeks ago I was dpsing S&V sm in 63 gear and mk-9 blue augments, nobody said a thing. Depends on what kind of people you run into.