(Spoiler Alert) Should spoiling storylines be a punishable offense?

Kerahlite

Thanks for reading. There's a spoiler for the Inquisitor storyline here, so be warned about that first. However, I feel I've got a legitimate gripe, so hear me out.

I was working through my class storyline earlier today when someone made a comment about a later quest in General chat. I asked that no spoilers be given, and was even seconded by another player.

The person who made the comment purposely spoiled the rest of the storyline. I was incensed. My first response was that I'd been hurt so much by this, that I was going to report it. But I didn't. I compared it to other experiences I had in MMOs where I, or other players were banned for three or five days for using harsh language targeted at another player. In my opinion though, being new to Star Wars and not having completed all the class storylines, this was much, much more a violation than a profanity shower.

Star Wars is a revolutionary game. I feel it requires revolutionary rules. Someone who purposefully ruins a storyline for another player by posting spoilers unsolicited or even after being asked not to has reached a higher level of trolling, and should be punished. The person I ran into earlier today has taken away from me the immersive experience I paid 64 dollars for, plus a monthly fee. I can never get that experience back.

As soon as I figure out how to post the screenshot in this thread, I will do so.

With Star Wars: The Old Republic being a game (more than any other mmo I've seen) driven so heavily by story, I don't see how spoiling in a planet-wide chat channel could not be punishable. I invest hours into a story line and expect to see it play out without needing to block myself off from the entire community just to keep it spoiler free. People always say, "If you don't want spoilers leave general chat" but why should I have to lose out on the social experience of an MMO just to keep the sanctity of the game intact?

I don't know, just my 2 cents. Maybe throw in some in-game spoiler tags or something?

I see this as a form of griefing. It's deliberately destroying the enjoyment of the game for others.

With that, I throw the ball in Bioware's court. :(

Nevertheless, I've only experienced this with Sith Inquisitors so far.

Which makes me curious if that class attracts a particular brand of individuals... :mad:

That being said, I'm just one person, I've not seen everything.

(and in that link of yours a player of another class had to chime in with some spoilery nugget himself)

Edited by Talahar

• 2 weeks later...
I also just expirienced this on DK (always DK, the troll land). Happened almost the same way cept it was the sith warrior. and it wasnt just act 1. it was the ending. the finale. i dont even wanna really play my marauder anymore. Its not something you can forget once you read it. and just a few minutes after that i saw someone asking for help with (the inquisitors act 1 boss , except they used its name). This behavior cannot happen in a game that has such a great story and where the story is the most polished and one of the best reasons to play this game. Thought of leaving general on all planets, but i still need LFG. Idn what to do just feel really down about it.:mad::(:mad::(

I had the same thing happen. Same storyline even. I had a feeling it was coming so it wasn't a huge surprise, but I was still peeved when I saw ppl just talking about it so openly in general chat. Then act like a**holes when you politely ask/say that you shouldn't do that.

I guess that is just how ppl are now a days. Makes me wish I had some of these yahoos duct taped to a chair, blood pouring down their forehead, and with me standing over them holding a blood soaked hammer....

To be fair it is general chat so they can talk about pretty much whatever they want. If they ban spoilers then someone somewhere is going to struggle asking for help with a specific fight or whatever that you haven't got to yet.

In this case since you specifically asked him not to spoil the story then you might have a case, but not usually.

I turned gerneral off the first chance I got, and I do the same on any game.

I agree completely But at the same time I can see problems since what people consider spoilers is subjective though thats obviously a big one.

Main problems off the top of my head would be titles which can give away plots that are available and asking for help with such quests.