To late to learn crew skills???

Glread

I have been plaing swtor for a little while now and have not been using the crew skills.

I am now level 23 and every time I try to gather or investigate something on a planet it says you have insufficient crew skills or you need to be level 42 archaeology to do that.

Do I have to go to the start planets and learn or is there and easier way?

I see what your saying but I'm not sure it will pump it up enough as I have not been doing any gathering at all.

It will always pump it up enough if you keep doing high enough lv missions for your companions. It probably goes even faster if you go back to those earlier planets and gather while your companions are away on missions. :)

I have been plaing swtor for a little while now and have not been using the crew skills.

I am now level 23 and every time I try to gather or investigate something on a planet it says you have insufficient crew skills or you need to be level 42 archaeology to do that.

Do I have to go to the start planets and learn or is there and easier way?

I have done this a few times and all I do is run missions until my skills get up to the area I am in but note it will cost you credits so be sure you don't cut yourself short in credits for your training.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Ah-Ha I see what missions you mean now! crew missions! I thought you ment quests on the planet!

I have been running the right missions now and it is building. thanks!

Can you buy credite from the cartel market?

I see there is a Escrow Credit Transfer on there but it says that I cant use it due to being a subscriber???

No, you get credits by selling. Selling what you crafted, for example. The normal vendors will accept nearly anything. Collected materials, too.

An easier way for you to get Credits - I think - would be to trade in Commendations into Credit Boxes, or how they are called.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

• 2 years later...
Where do I find crew missions? Sorry if that's dumb question, but I've only been playing for 2 days. Like the OP I'm now lvl 22 and have completely ignored crew skills. Thanks. Edited by Captnusa

Where do I find crew missions? Sorry if that's dumb question, but I've only been playing for 2 days. Like the OP I'm now lvl 22 and have completely ignored crew skills. Thanks.

Not entirely certain what you are looking for so I will be comprehensive.

There are crew skill trainers on fleet and capital planets (Coruscant and Dromund Kaas). They are somewhat off the beaten path... (They also exist on several other planets but capitals and fleet are easiest to find).

Coruscant: as you approach the senate tower there are stairs going down off to the sides of the path. These lead to an "underground mall" for lack of a better phrase. Within this mall, all the crew skills trainers exist.

Dromund Kaas: as you enter the city the path branch left and right, go right. Go around the wall and you will see a staircase going up on your right. Go up that staircase. In the plaza beyond all the crew skill trainers are spread out

Fleet: there is a Strongholds and Crew Skills quadrant (open your map [M key] find that quadrant and go there

Approach a trainer and interact with him/her/it like you would any other vendor. If you are not trained in the skill in question AND you have an open slot it will ask you "Do you want to train in X" Click yes or no.

Once you you have trained in a gathering or mission skill, press the B key (by default) and the crew skills window will open, click on a crew skill icon next to a companion and another window will open with a list of available missions. Select a mission and click send companion (or double click the mission). As you level the skill you will unlock more missions in a given grade. Once you hit a specific skill level the next grade will open.

In addition there are discovered missions that you can acquire by running lockbox missions with Slicing or Treasure hunting (slicing is far more likely) or you can buy them off the GTN. They have a minimum skill requirement and they cost more to run, but they cannot fail and you get a lot of gathering materials and are guaranteed purple mission skill materials.

If you train a crafting skill (I do not recommend this for new players), again open the crew skills window, click on the crafting skill next to a companion and the crafting window will appear. You will have a limited number of schematics to craft. Once you have leveled up your crafting skill, go back to the trainer and purchase new schematics...rinse and repeat.

If you would like to know which skills are best for a given class, or would like to learn how to craft high end items, or would like to learn how to make credits with crew skills, there are several links in my signature to guides I have written on those subjects.

Edited by psandak