What's the point of PvP servers?

RixoFutu

So. What's the point of PvP servers? We don't get any valor for killing enemies anywhere except warzones and special zones on Tat and Ilum, which is weird while whole server is PvP.

No loot, no valor ... no reward for getting "social" and battle with enemies from other faction. It's just a boring and annoying. Well, now i really don't know why i chose PvP server, i admit it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not been able to wrap my head around PvP servers for a long time. It always seems that PvE servers are more populated and tend to have better populations while having the exact same ammount of "dedicated PvP'ers".

You have to have PvP servers, otherwise all the PvP people will whine and complain. That is really the only point. That said, you simply cannot please the PvP player base, so having them gravitate to PvP servers benefits all the other servers. They are the first to complain and the first to quit. PvP servers are suffering most with population issues and rerolls to other servers. Grass is always greener somewhere for the PvP player.

So. What's the point of PvP servers? We don't get any valor for killing enemies anywhere except warzones and special zones on Tat and Ilum, which is weird while whole server is PvP.

No loot, no valor ... no reward for getting "social" and battle with enemies from other faction. It's just a boring and annoying. Well, now i really don't know why i chose PvP server, i admit it.

basically because WoW had PvP servers

You have to have PvP servers, otherwise all the PvP people will whine and complain. That is really the only point.
So short sighted.

They're actually really fun to play on, provided you run into enemy players while in the world zones (and it helps to know the content already).

But in this game, maybe you're right. BW certainly seemed disinterested in designing the game around PvP servers, much to their own detriment, and not even in the sense that they're turning off PvP players; well-integrated faction content even makes PvE servers more interesting.

Edited by Ansultares

I'm on Tatooine and i run to some enemies almost every time i go somewhere there. So population isn't an issue in my case. I like it, it's more "live and mmo" than fighting in PvE of course. It's fun for some time but i would like some rewards for this PvP fights. Fight itself isn't so cool and great to achieve complete satisfaction.

Pre-launch, PVPers told us that these servers were needed so that they could experience the thrill of combat against an unpredictable opponent.

What happened?

In 2 months of my playtime I had precisely 2 open world PvP encounters while leveling.

Yes, that's right. Two. Won both, but there was not even an e-peen factor since there are no stats, no cross-faction communication not to mention Valor, experience or loot drops. Nothing.

Now the sad thing is, that those open world PvP "duels" were very, very fun. Like you know, PvPing at very good framerates IS fun.

PvPing at WZ's is a terrible slideshow and a mess.

Edited by Rogoo

Uhhh. What are you talking about? If this game didn't have open PvP: that would be the only thing that would stop me from playing. I'm not just saying that.

it's simple really. If I see an IMP and I cannot attack him, then this is not starwars. Sorry. KTHX.

Stay on your PVE server, and let this thread fade away. Don't understand a PvP server? Play PVE. It's really that simple. No discussion here. None at all.

Edited by EnsignSorrow

I'm on Tatooine and i run to some enemies almost every time i go somewhere there. So population isn't an issue in my case. I like it, it's more "live and mmo" than fighting in PvE of course. It's fun for some time but i would like some rewards for this PvP fights. Fight itself isn't so cool and great to achieve complete satisfaction.

Yeah, people say it's impossible to run into the other faction in this game. That's simply not true and Tatooine is a prime example. I have played both factions, and on different servers, and I always run across opposing faction in Tatooine. If I played on PvP servers, it would be fight time. Any neutral planet you can find opposing faction. It's just faction planets where it's out of bounds (BECAUSE THERE IS A PEACE TREATY IN EFFECT).

What I think people are really bent about is they cannot simply gather up and try to ransack the opposing factions capital cities. That sort of thing made sense in WoW, but in SWTOR (where there is a peace treaty in effect), it makes no sense. Besides, the capital cities would be impenetrable to ground assault. And there is not ship to planet combat in this game yet.

Edited by Andryah

Why does there have to be rewards for it to be fun?

So you can hunt the other faction without seeing people with their PVP flag off.

Sure, you can do the exact same type of PVP on a PVE server... the only difference is, People cannot opt out of it on a PVP server, whereas you can on a PVE.

Makes perfect sense.

The "Problem" this game has... people are spread out WAY too far and between... the game feels dead because you hardly ever see anyone. It doesn't "feel" like an MMO.

Edited by FooBard

Regarding open PvP, there is the area on Tatooine that never gets used on my server. I have honestly never seen anyone else there

I seem to remember it being called the lawless territory?

Edited by Spen_lar