New Solo ranked ratings system

Devorion

So the idea is rather simple

Instead of rewarding the winning team and giving penalties to rating of the loosing team here is a new approach

Winning team:

All get "+ rating" but...

More rating to the guy who did more damage, protection or heals (any number which is higher) than anybody else in the team

The guy who did less damage, protection or healing receives the lowest bonus to rating

The 2 middle guys receive a normal bonus to rating

Losing team:

The guy who did most damage, protection or heals (any number which is higher) still gets a + to rating and doesn't loose rating

The guy who did who did less damage, protection or healing gets the hardest penalty to rating like -20 or something

The 2 middle guys receive a normal penalty to rating.

What this achieves:

If you are the only god of pvp :D in your team but got sucked in with 3 noobs who have green gear or no advanced class, then you will definitely still get rating by simple being the best among them)

A troll or a pve noob will get the most penalties for being a troll or a noob and after reaching something like 200 rating he should not be able to queue at all.

This will also make the game very competitive and everybody will try their best even if they feel that they are loosing.

Also the winning team will also try their best since the leader among the 4 players will receive the best rating.

So what does Bioware and community think about it:rak_02:

Edited by Devorion

i don't see how this will work. Healer is always going to get full rating cause they are the only healer... Tank same. The only rating this is going to affect is DPS. The stats need a way of being analyzed. For instance.. let's say hypothetically there is 500k damage being thrown about... how much of that was mitigated by the tank? If he puts up 10k protection is he really deserving of a medal? Let's say the opposing team are complete scrubs and tunnel the tank so he takes a retarded amount of damage but next to no protection.. how do we distinguish? Edited by JackNader

it should really be based on the medals you get each match.

You get 10 medals, you get 10 points + 5 if you win

You get 10 medals, you get 10 points -5 if you lose.

So if you only get 1 medal, you ll get -4 rating if you lose.

Which means if you participate and you get medals, you have nothing to lose

i don't see how this will work. Healer is always going to get full rating cause they are the only healer... Tank same. The only rating this is going to affect is DPS. The stats need a way of being analyzed. For instance.. let's say hypothetically there is 500k damage being thrown about... how much of that was mitigated by the tank? If he puts up 10k protection is he really deserving of a medal? Let's say the opposing team are complete scrubs and tunnel the tank so he takes a retarded amount of damage but next to no protection.. how do we distinguish?

I was also thinking about the total number like damage + protection + heal

So basically if a tank does 20 k damage and 30 k protection then his total rating would be 50 k

If another dps on his team did 40 k damage, then tank is considered to be the most valuable and get maximum rating. And since hybrids will die in 3.0 this system will not be abused by hybrid dps + heal or dps+tank

There is no viable method to determining an individual's contribution to the team to make a system like this work. If everyone is a DPS and does the same amount of damage, there is no objective variable that you can use to determine which was the most valuable. And doing the most damage isn't the most important in arenas, as using your burst and CC in combination is the best way to kill an opponent with tanks and healers running around.

it should really be based on the medals you get each match.

You get 10 medals, you get 10 points + 5 if you win

You get 10 medals, you get 10 points -5 if you lose.

So if you only get 1 medal, you ll get -4 rating if you lose.

Which means if you participate and you get medals, you have nothing to lose

That still doesn't help a tank that gets tunneled, as unless he gets lucky and gets a killing blow, he will have almost no medals.

Come on. More opinions and perhaps some dev will consider this.:rak_03:

If development doesn't want to consider it then make cross faction arenas)

There's just too many things you cant quantify, like the top dps that broke cc on a healer and is the reason the match was lost, but your system would give him the highest rating. A shadow combat stealthing to out of combat heal can win or lose you the game depending on when he does it. If a team goes tank tunnel the tank will have virtually no protection and low dps, and you would have to judge him by damage taken, only he could also take more damage than needed because he sucks at positioning.

the only way such a system could remotely work imho is if there was exactly one class and spec, like in a shooter. (i don't play any multiplayer shooters so i might be totally wrong on that)

Edited by sanchito

The best players will have a high rating regardless of RNG in the long term over many games. Your system is just not necessary. If you're using your defensives/cc correctly and applying damage to the right player, your reward is winning the game.

Solo ranked is all about how hard you can carry.

Edited by EnzoForMe

This could work, and I definitely think the idea has potential.

Factor in damage taken, protection, damage, biggest hits, killing blows, and give them an appropriate "weight", then calculate the "weight" of the player in the team. Rank them. Profit. Heck, you could even add a "meters ran" statistic, tracking the kiting of a player!

The best players will have a high rating regardless of RNG in the long term over many games. Your system is just not necessary. If you're using your defensives/cc correctly and applying damage to the right player, your reward is winning the game.

Solo ranked is all about how hard you can carry.

I really have no idea why there are so many threads that want to reinvent the wheel every week.

The system works as it's supposed to (It's called the Large Number Theorem)

I really have no idea why there are so many threads that want to reinvent the wheel every week.

The system works as it's supposed to (It's called the Large Number Theorem)

Yep. Unless you change the rating system to allow handicapped rated matches (e.g. 4 very strong players against 5 or even 6 really bad players) you are not going to do significantly better than what we have.

New math won't fix the existing problems of arena trolls, queue syncing et cetera. Those problems are orthogonal to the math of the rating (which, again, is fine as it is).

BW could give folks the option of not getting queue pops when the two teams are too different (e.g. 800 rating points) in skill but that would just exacerbate and highlight the population of low player population.

the importance of the first 10 matches is far too valuable. you shouldn't be around 1400 after just 10 matches, imo. it's too easy to get a night of weak competition. or the inverse. that said, yeah. the basic system is fine. and I've yet to see a really good play on any class that doesn't have a significantly higher rating than average players on the same AC.

Yep. Unless you change the rating system to allow handicapped rated matches (e.g. 4 very strong players against 5 or even 6 really bad players) you are not going to do significantly better than what we have.

i mean my brain says this will never work but my guts say hell yeah this would be awesome :-)

Edited by sanchito

So the idea is rather simple

Instead of rewarding the winning team and giving penalties to rating of the loosing team here is a new approach

Winning team:

All get "+ rating" but...

More rating to the guy who did more damage, protection or heals (any number which is higher) than anybody else in the team

The guy who did less damage, protection or healing receives the lowest bonus to rating

The 2 middle guys receive a normal bonus to rating

Losing team:

The guy who did most damage, protection or heals (any number which is higher) still gets a + to rating and doesn't loose rating

The guy who did who did less damage, protection or healing gets the hardest penalty to rating like -20 or something

The 2 middle guys receive a normal penalty to rating.

What this achieves:

If you are the only god of pvp :D in your team but got sucked in with 3 noobs who have green gear or no advanced class, then you will definitely still get rating by simple being the best among them)

A troll or a pve noob will get the most penalties for being a troll or a noob and after reaching something like 200 rating he should not be able to queue at all.

This will also make the game very competitive and everybody will try their best even if they feel that they are loosing.

Also the winning team will also try their best since the leader among the 4 players will receive the best rating.

So what does Bioware and community think about it:rak_02:

INB4

Wrong wrong, you are bad, wrong.

If you're having a hard time building rating, it's because you are bad. Good players don't deal with the same **** you do, ergo you are not a good player. The system works fine. Doing it based on medals is absolutely ludicrous.

INB4

Wrong wrong, you are bad, wrong.

If you're having a hard time building rating, it's because you are bad. Good players don't deal with the same **** you do, ergo you are not a good player. The system works fine. Doing it based on medals is absolutely ludicrous.

How could you say that. I know good players that have low ratings due to facing a team on the top players on my server. I even I had to come back to get my rating up and it's not easy. I'm not saying I'm a beast or I'm godlike but my point is **** happens and if **** happens it effects your solo rating which is (unless you win like 20 in a row) is hard to bounce back from. I feel that they need to change the grouping systems is all not rating. When you load into a match and "hey look there's the top sin and top Mara on the leader boards together" then you look at your team and your like " this dude has 26k with bolster... (Mind this only happens due to low pops) but in reality it's just a game rating is something to have fun with not take seriously to the point where you have to degrade people... And for what??? A video game??? Come on.

How could you say that. I know good players that have low ratings due to facing a team on the top players on my server. I even I had to come back to get my rating up and it's not easy. I'm not saying I'm a beast or I'm godlike but my point is **** happens and if **** happens it effects your solo rating which is (unless you win like 20 in a row) is hard to bounce back from. I feel that they need to change the grouping systems is all not rating. When you load into a match and "hey look there's the top sin and top Mara on the leader boards together" then you look at your team and your like " this dude has 26k with bolster... (Mind this only happens due to low pops) but in reality it's just a game rating is something to have fun with not take seriously to the point where you have to degrade people... And for what??? A video game??? Come on.

Everyone has to work with the same rules though.

Everyone has the same set of circumstances

Everything is fair and even, and the only caveat is that you queue more than a handful of times.

Everyone has to work with the same rules though.

Everyone has the same set of circumstances

Everything is fair and even, and the only caveat is that you queue more than a handful of times.

no. I think the valid point he makes is something caprica said about solo: it's all about how hard you can carry. and, frankly, class affects that a lot. it's infinitely better, no matter your skill level, to queue yolo as a dps jugg or sin than a dps merc or sniper. I'm not saying that you get a better rating just cuz you're on a jugg, but those two classes have hard/absolute answers for focus fire that the latter simply do not have. w/o heals and/or tank, that's a huge disadvantage or, more accurately, a huge advantage to Qing with the sin/jugg. you're always going to have better control of your own fate, as it were, on certain classes.

and since matchmaking is so silly in regard to skill level anyway, it would be nice if it did something to balance the ACs. nothing like seeing a pyro PT surrounded by a jugg tank and two jugg veng against a concealment op, two merc dps and a jugg tank. I mean...honestly. that's 7 kills vs. 4.5 kills (conceal op is that .5). that's 3 melee vs. 2 ranged and 1 melee. it's so freaking obvious that one of those juggs and mercs should be on the other team.

:rak_02:

no. I think the valid point he makes is something caprica said about solo: it's all about how hard you can carry. and, frankly, class affects that a lot. it's infinitely better, no matter your skill level, to queue yolo as a dps jugg or sin than a dps merc or sniper. I'm not saying that you get a better rating just cuz you're on a jugg, but those two classes have hard/absolute answers for focus fire that the latter simply do not have. w/o heals and/or tank, that's a huge disadvantage or, more accurately, a huge advantage to Qing with the sin/jugg. you're always going to have better control of your own fate, as it were, on certain classes.

and since matchmaking is so silly in regard to skill level anyway, it would be nice if it did something to balance the ACs. nothing like seeing a pyro PT surrounded by a jugg tank and two jugg veng against a concealment op, two merc dps and a jugg tank. I mean...honestly. that's 7 kills vs. 4.5 kills (conceal op is that .5). that's 3 melee vs. 2 ranged and 1 melee. it's so freaking obvious that one of those juggs and mercs should be on the other team.

Thank you at least you get my point. Now that said. Now I really want the other guy to think really hard here. THINK ABOUT IT when your ready to fight in solo do you hit a jug first or merc???? Regardless of skill of the jug your hitting that merc. If you have 3 juggs right? Then they all pop CD right? Which means they have an extra health bar. Now health is a big deal in ranked. Why???well jeez when your at half health and a jug just magicly gets his health back and your sitting there as a merc like ummm well at least I get my health to 30% for a few seconds. But wait!!! You have 2 other juggs with the same CD and guess what their strongest attack can't be interrupted... But how ever the same is said for a merc IF he takes the talent energy shield for dps as an arsenal. Thing is about a merc well he can't reset the CD on his shield thus juggs are superior over mercs. So how is it anywhere near fair to have 3 juggs vs 2mercs/ another squish class??? That was my point and ^^^ you completely understood. But aside from juggs the rest seems fair at least to me just a team of 3-4 juggs ha I should just give up but well I honestly don't care I like pvp and that's why I'm still a sub. Btw its 5am here so pardon any misspells/crap that makes no sense I just woke up.

Edited by Darth__Reaver