[Speculation] The Big PvP Change

ManiacDavis

Back in the 2.4 Arena PvP post, the devs said the following:

But wait! There’s more!

What about PvP post-2.4? What is coming next, you wonder? Well it wouldn’t be a dev post without some teasing! Here are some of the things on the horizon we have in store for PvP.

Removing the F2P restriction for entering the Warzones

Source

I personally think this is BW's answer to q problems. Do you guys agree this is the big PvP change coming mentioned in Snave's interview? What do you guys think, would you support this, hate it, want ranked to still require sub?

If this is not it, why has it not occurred? Why have the devs given no information on this promise almost a year old?

Edited by ManiacDavis

Well, all they promised was a new arena (Makeb), F2P restrictions removed (hasn't happened) and a teaser, which was Queshball.

I'm not sure what big change you are referring to from the post.

In the recent interview between Snave and Musco, Musco mentioned a change for the pvp community to help alleviate low population and infrequent q's. I personally think this is Bioware's answer (allowing F2P to do ranked or buy ranked passes), and do not particularly like it.

In the recent interview between Snave and Musco, Musco mentioned a change for the pvp community to help alleviate low population and infrequent q's. I personally think this is Bioware's answer (allowing F2P to do ranked or buy ranked passes), and do not particularly like it.

I got you, your post makes far more sense to me now.

If the other post was true with the unnamed source, they said it would be "better than cross server". BW has had some stupid ideas in the past, but surely no one would think F2P restrictions would be better than cross server outside of the possible fact that we could all unsub and still play :cool:

I got you, your post makes far more sense to me now.

If the other post was true with the unnamed source, they said it would be "better than cross server". BW has had some stupid ideas in the past, but surely no one would think F2P restrictions would be better than cross server outside of the possible fact that we could all unsub and still play :cool:

"“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” -- Upton Sinclair

Like that Lawyer joke: how can you tell a PR person is lying? Their lips are moving.

---

Allowing F2P to queue has pluses and minuses. Potentially more trolling is one of the minuses. Increasing the population is definitely a plus.

Undergeared players is not the problem -- population is the problem. With a healthy population a fully geared mediocre player with 20 ranked arenas under his belt won't ever play in a match with these undergeared players (unless they are deliberate trolls). Of course opening up rank PvP to F2P won't increase population ENOUGH to make ELO rating based matchmaking work.

The solution to undergeared players queuing is to make a small effort to queue with 2 4-man ranked teams. Sure, you may get the **** kicked out of you several times in a row but if you balance your 2 4-mans and they both lose you'll soon be facing each other rather than that 2000+ rated team. In any event, you'll never be stuck with a troll or an undergeared player.

"“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” -- Upton Sinclair

Like that Lawyer joke: how can you tell a PR person is lying? Their lips are moving.

---

Allowing F2P to queue has pluses and minuses. Potentially more trolling is one of the minuses. Increasing the population is definitely a plus.

Undergeared players is not the problem -- population is the problem. With a healthy population a fully geared mediocre player with 20 ranked arenas under his belt won't ever play in a match with these undergeared players (unless they are deliberate trolls). Of course opening up rank PvP to F2P won't increase population ENOUGH to make ELO rating based matchmaking work.

The solution to undergeared players queuing is to make a small effort to queue with 2 4-man ranked teams. Sure, you may get the **** kicked out of you several times in a row but if you balance your 2 4-mans and they both lose you'll soon be facing each other rather than that 2000+ rated team. In any event, you'll never be stuck with a troll or an undergeared player.

Removing F2P restrictions MAY build up the reg queues, but I don't see it having any positive impact on ranked. And reg queues have no population problem. So I don't really see any positive outcome from the change.

Removing F2P restrictions MAY build up the reg queues, but I don't see it having any positive impact on ranked. And reg queues have no population problem. So I don't really see any positive outcome from the change.

Some people say "droves of really skilled PvPers unsubbed after <X> happened" (e.g. 8v8 ranked got canned, but you can insert a myriad of reasons into <X>). If they are right then presumably F2P would bring some of these folks back even if only casual ranked players. This would increase the ranked population of goods.

Pick your favorite top player who has left the game. Would you feel as annoyed if they showed up on your solo queue side undergeared when you know they are skillful players? How long would they stay undergeared, even if they only play casually?

I can see F2P having some positive effect. Will the positive effect outweight the negative (potentially more trolling).

Of course nothing BW/EA does will live up to the hype of what they hint at and later say.

I personally think this is BW's answer to q problems. Do you guys agree this is the big PvP change coming mentioned in Snave's interview?

That would be awfully depressing, emphasis on awful. I don't think that I would mind F2P having access to regular lowbie warzones (more bodies, more pops), but 60 and ranked (where gear, augments, stims matter)....please no. That would be like being promised a reward only to find out that the reward is a slap in the face.

Edited by teclado

Some people say "droves of really skilled PvPers unsubbed after <X> happened" (e.g. 8v8 ranked got canned, but you can insert a myriad of reasons into <X>). If they are right then presumably F2P would bring some of these folks back even if only casual ranked players. This would increase the ranked population of goods.

Pick your favorite top player who has left the game. Would you feel as annoyed if they showed up on your solo queue side undergeared when you know they are skillful players? How long would they stay undergeared, even if they only play casually?

I can see F2P having some positive effect. Will the positive effect outweight the negative (potentially more trolling).

Of course nothing BW/EA does will live up to the hype of what they hint at and later say.

Competitive PvPers don't go back to games because they are free, but still crappy. They have all moved on to other games at this point, mostly WoW, which conveniently enough just had a major expansion launch. Casual players might come back as F2P for free PvP and some current PvPers would probably unsub if they don't use any of the other perks. That's about it.

Source

I personally think this is BW's answer to q problems. Do you guys agree this is the big PvP change coming mentioned in Snave's interview? What do you guys think, would you support this, hate it, want ranked to still require sub?

If this is not it, why has it not occurred? Why have the devs given no information on this promise almost a year old?

Which is stupid because non-subs can get around the limited queing by just grouping with a sub and queing for pvp. This will do nothing to make ranked pop more often. They need to bring back 8 vs 8 ranked. Period.

Its an interesting idea.

I think this would only be good for ranked SOLO arenas if there is a corresponding gear requirement to queue. Last thing we want is solo arenas being absolutely flooded with fresh level 60 f2pers in greens and blues.

That being said, this could be good for team rankeds, as some people may be willing to come back to the game just to do team 4's arenas but not wanting to sub just for it.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

Source

They have - it just never got posted to the forums.

http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/b/533755890

Go about 1 hour 24 minutes in, someone asked this question, and was told that they looked at the number of people who actually hit the cap, didn't think it was very many, and decided not to do it.

They have - it just never got posted to the forums.

http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/b/533755890

Go about 1 hour 24 minutes in, someone asked this question, and was told that they looked at the number of people who actually hit the cap, didn't think it was very many, and decided not to do it.

What that should indicate is that the vast majority of people who PvP are subscribers.

What that should indicate is that the vast majority of people who PvP are subscribers.

Yeah, I have several issues with the answer (one of them being how accurate their count actually is, because...reasons) but it is at least addressing the question. It really should have been said on the forums, though - soooooo many people seem to not be aware that he said this.

It wouldn't hurt but I think it would only just increase the activity of low level pvp brackets. Ranked should have a gear requirement and that's about it IMO.

Definitely need more restrictions for ranked... A legacy Valor rating should also be a requirement...