The reason why people leave.

IAAIAO

The only problem I see with the community is in this thread. And these forums.

I come here often, usually in the idiotic hope of finding solid discussion of stats, strategies, and content.

Invariably, I find posts citing, out-of-hand, that the game sucks, the people suck, and the developers suck.

And then the defensive "nousuck" posts. And then the "nousuckmoer" posts.

Look, I never played an MMO before Swtor. I despised the very idea of some of the communities I'd heard about in other MMOs. And I do take offense to mean-spiritedness. Initially, even SWTOR didn't seem the right game for me, in spite of an enthusiasm for all things Bioware.

But honestly, this game--it isn't so bad. I'll take credit for at least having come to the game expecting complete jerks. And when I see something arbitrary and offensive pop up in general chat...yea, I just ignore that person. To be honest, there's not a lot of it these days, and my ignore list is most certainly far from full.

I *know* other folks out there must be having a tough time, but I just am not seeing it. I'm on Shadowlands (originally Corellian run, originally originally Mind Trick)--did I just luck out and get a great server?

I *do* indulge in the ongoing Jawa-movie-titles marathons, I've got several toons on both sides, I joke about Dromund Kaas being worse than Mos Eisley. I run warzones pretty much all the time, flashpoints from time to time.

And I can literally say that I've never quit a FP, never been kicked, and only left a small handful of Warzone matches in the thousands I've played (yea, guy who was running the huttball to our own goal and dancing--looking at you).

From the posts here, it sounds like my experiences with finding decent people of a variety of skill levels, who just want to complete things successfully, is completely uncharacteristic. But surely a few others out there must be finding the game tolerable? Even, dare I say, fun?

Mind you, I'm an elitist--proudly willing to tell people I was in 37 minutes after early game access went live, happily willing to indulge in speeder-summoning egoism, and most definitely of a mindset when I enter a group that I most certainly know what I'm doing in the vast majority of circumstances. But I'd like to think I'm not a ******* about it, too. I don't rage at people, I don't make the unrealistic assumption that everyone knows every tactic, strat, etc. And more importantly, I've met very many people who act in a similar fashion.

So: sorry you haven't found what you're looking for. But before you go off on the community, I'll say that there *is* a community out there, within the rather vast TOR galaxy, that's really quite fun to play with. Wish we'd found you.

Edited by Journeyer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You, Sir, mentioned newcomers being scared away by d*ckheads in the forums. I, as a newcomer, replied that at least for me it's people posting stuff like the person I quoted (Canesfanjax) who spoil the fun and might scare newcomers away. Personally I'm used to these group of people. Every game has them, in every game it's them who create that terrible atmosphere in the community. Constantly.

@Canesfanjax:

More people like me? Tell me, what do you know about me? Why do you think I'm a leecher? I decided to sub for two months 3 days after starting with this game and bought several packages of coins in addition. Today my sub ran out and I'm thinking about resubbing (if work allows me to use that time).

You just can't accept the fact that you, as someone who has played the game since launch, are called a disturbance to the community, can you? I have played a lot of MMOs and I simply can't stand your kind any longer: chronic decriers.

And I never denied the existence of flaws in the game.

You're just a waste of air actually and I highly doubt you have ever subbed in this game. And by the way you jumped on me for making on simple comment to someone who was being a sarcastic jerk. so you felt the need to insult me and tell me to leave ? That's real mature buddy. Edited by canesfanjax

And it looks like you're one of those arrogant people he was referring to...this community does suck as does the game itself to be honest this game is very broken.

Why are you here then , just to troll? I happen to like the community , except the forum community which seems to be full with depressed people who hate everything under the sun.

Why are you here then , just to troll? I happen to like the community , except the forum community which seems to be full with depressed people who hate everything under the sun.
I'm here because I pay to play this game and have every right to post how I feel, it has nothing to do with trolling it has everything to do with the reality of this game. Looks like the real troll here is you to be honest. And from the looks of all your forum post you sure do ***** and complain a lot too, so who are you to talk ? Edited by canesfanjax

The community blows, not just the forums but general chat. Just yesterday on tatooine there was a huge rage in Gen chat about people arguing over intelligence and some guys player name(who cares?) It all started with "what kind of player name is that" (paraphrase). People just want to pick fights to make themselves feel better because something is going wrong in their life outside of the game, that's my perspective on it anyway.

Just because you have X many alts and the best gear doesn't give them the right to talk down to a new player. How would you feel or what would you do for example if you worked for a company and the CEO always slandered and talked down to you? If you had a spine you would quit (if financially affordable). The community needs fixing. Out of all the MMO's I have played LOTRO by far has the best community.

This thread is really kind of humorous. Some funny (paraphrased) statements:

1. "I've been playing since the pre-release!"

(Snork!) Since December, 2011. Let's see. That's, umm, what? 17 months! Wow! I am so impressed! Yer a real old timer, yesiree! I'm impressed!

2. "I pay money to play this game!"

Seriously? $15.00 a month? Let's see. if you play a mere hour per day that's a whopping fifty cents an hour! Where else can you get as cheap entertainment? My cable-TV costs more than that. How much does it cost you to watch a 2 hour movie? Maybe you could find something cheaper, like watching traffic lights change.

3. "I have a RIGHT to complain!"

Sure you do, buddy, but the thing is, your complaints define you. If you complain about stupid stuff, then that's your reputation--complaining about stupid stuff. /ignore. Phhht!

4. "Bioware has their head where the sun don't shine!"

They are capable of putting up a game like this, which cost upwards of $200 million. You are capable of playing it, albeit imperfectly, and earn the minimum wage, if you work at all. Who is smarter?

5. "I'm gonna quit!"

But you never do. That's the sad part. You said that six months ago, yet, here you are! Isn't that just amazing! How can you have quit and still be here? It's a mystery! Tell your Mom to cancel the card.

6. "You must be a F2P player."

Yet the guy posted here. You can't post here unless you are a sub. Has this place been hacked by the F2P hordes? Or are you just forgetting the fact that F2P can't post here?

Thanks for the entertainment. It's worth $15.00/month to me, yet I only pay $12.99. And they give me cartel coins for free. Imagine that!

Edited by MSchuyler

(Snork!) Since December, 2011. Let's see. That's, umm, what? 17 months! Wow! I am so impressed! Yer a real old timer, yesiree! I'm impressed!

Seriously? $15.00 a month? Let's see. if you play a mere hour per day that's a whopping fifty cents an hour! Where else can you get as cheap entertainment? My cable-TV costs more than that. How much does it cost you to watch a 2 hour movie? Maybe you could find something cheaper, like watching traffic lights change.

Sure you do, buddy, but the thing is, your complaints define you. If you complain about stupid stuff, then that's your reputation--complaining about stupid stuff. /ignore. Phhht!

They are capable of putting up a game like this, which cost upwards of $200 million. You are capable of playing it, albeit imperfectly, and earn the minimum wage, if you work at all. Who is smarter?

5. "I'm gonna quit!"

But you never do. That's the sad part. You said that six months ago, yet, here you are! Isn't that just amazing! How can you have quit and still be here? It's a mystery! Tell your Mom to cancel the card.

Yet the guy posted here. You can't post here unless you are a sub. Has this place been hacked by the F2P hordes? Or are you just forgetting the fact that F2P can't post here?

Thanks for the entertainment. It's worth $15.00/month to me, yet I only pay $12.99. And they give me cartel coins for free. Imagine that!

Oh god this post is so stupid even if not towards myself. Do you even read **** before posting ?

5. "I'm gonna quit!"

This is exactly the type of crap we're talking about, you're a prime example of the arrogant ******es that crowd this game and troll on general chat all day about stupid ****. Always remember once you start pointing your finger their are 3 more pointing right back at ya !! And just to confirm that you don't do any real research before you post look at this thread and see how many people can still post while being preferred and not having an active sub...how does it feel to have your list of troll logic get totally discredited ?

http://www.swtor.com/de/community/showthread.php?t=555979&page=4

Edited by canesfanjax

Wrong.

F2P players of the so-called "Preferred Status" are able to write here - at least I could.

What I agree with, that is that the most "Eliticism" crowds are the most vocal ones within the forums. I have seen it in the DDO forums. It's exactly the same there.

The end content players are those the MMO makers care about. Low-level content becomes "forgotten" and NEVER becomes updated for ages - inclusive all of their bugs ! As could be witnessed with some Codex entries and the Legacy thing that came with 2.0.

In the end, EVERY MMO evolves around the Eliticists and the Content Locusts. Because they demand, they provoke storms, they get everything they want. They would even try to hinder that Newbies get goodies as well, because, as they would demand, they are there since so ling and kind of deserve to be treated first. And "first class" maybe even, too.

Most people don't even notice Eliticism within the forums, because most people have learned to hide it between quite subtle sentence formulations.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I actually tend to agree with MSchuyler. No-one is forcing you to play this game, so if you don't like it either leave or don't complain.
Here is the thing I love this game most of my issues with it are to do with the community not so much the game even though it has caused a few issues for me concerning connections and such, like getting bad server lag etc , but that actually hasn't made me leave yet even tough I thought about , but these arrogant people, ****, it's getting old fast and it more or less started once all these f2p people started playing, not saying it's all of them, but it's a lo, but i'm done ranting because it will get me no where on these forums. All it will do is bring in more trolls and I can't afford to feed them anymore. Edited by canesfanjax

Wrong.

F2P players of the so-called "Preferred Status" are able to write here - at least I could.

See this is what I mean, that guy did no research, he read a post and made false claims, made up what he thought this post was about, that is the definition of a troll imo. Edited by canesfanjax

As someone who was F2P for two weeks and now subbed I don't really see what the big difference is. Sure the community is not great but that is true for other MMOs as well. It's not any better/worse than WoW. I always expect the worst out of people online so it's not surprising that people act like jerks but I do get pleasantly surprised when I have good groups.

Here is a good rule of thumb for the internet. It is also much like real life.

Not one single person cares about you or your opinion.

Have a good day.

So you speak for everyone here? What about the ppl that care, what about them?

I dont get this guy:rolleyes:

Just going to throw my two cents into the bucket here.

I have played a pretty wide range of mmo's over nearly two decades, and I can honestly say that SWTOR has one of the worst communities from an overall perspective I have ever seen. That is just going off the average of what I witness in General Chat only. I was somewhat staggered by it, having recently come from another smaller mmo that had a smaller, albeit, much tighter community. There, if someone was really a total ******, they would quickly get isolated from 95% of the endgame community. And the GM's would also personally log on at random times, which was something of a moderator system, randomly active yes, but just *knowing* that a GM could possibly be on and see what was being said in open chat, helped to tone down some peoples driving need to run wild with internet anonymity.

I have seen a lot of crap talk, epeen flaunting, and harassment in my years of playing mmo's, but really, SWTOR has taken the crown for having the most saturated amount of this kind of behavior I have *ever* seen. The only time that I do not see an average of 3-4 people spewing bile into general chat, is when I am on during the extremely late night and AM time ranges, the opposite of peak time for server population.

It really is horrible for anyone coming into the game who is expecting or hoping for something of a positive community to try and join. I'm not saying that there isn't some good people, and some good guilds, and therefor, some good social "inner circles" that exist, there certainly is. That is the issue though, those are within there own circles, the majority of those within good guilds, full of good people, likely turn general chat off ( and I cannot blame them in the slightest ) and likely use it as little as possible.

This leaves the average newcomer being assaulted in general chat by a near constant bombardment of appalling behavior without any real sort of moderating taking place, at all. This will give a very negative view of the overall community for those new players coming in who will see that as a representation of the majority and be unaware of how to really go about getting help or into a better social atmosphere without just outright leaving the game. It serves as a giant neon sign for others, telling them that it is completely fine for them to join right in, and let loose with every twisted inner need for attention through hostile, repulsive, and/or extremely explicit rants, remarks, statements, and random commentary.

TL;DR - Overall Community Appearance to the average new player = Atrocious.

Sarcasm, trolling, narcissism, and rants are always present in MMO's, SWTOR just appears to be overflowing with it due to many factors, several of which could definitely be addressed and improved.

Try and remember people, just because your online and not looking someone in the face, doesn't mean that you should ignore the general social attitude of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Well said, Sir/Ma'am!

I brought a co-worker into SWTOR, as I have only been playing for a little over a month. His most memorable interactions from Day-1 was him asking where to find something in the planet he was on. In which the first three responses were in the realm of "In your mom's A** Hole" and other childish remarks. He never did get a legit answer until he was able to get ahold of me. We actually laugh at those responses, because it reminds us how dumb the population can be.

Or even myself, still feeling as I am constantly learning something new about the game mechanics (seeing as they change every so often). I ask a question in general chat, and am told to Google it, and am ridiculed for not already magically knowing the answer off the top of my head.... My thinking was that I would query the potentially knowledgable live player-base, before having to minimize the game and do external browsing. That way I can ask follow-up questions in the event that a website doesn't have the answer, and takes multiple days to respond to questions. I guess I should have known better than to interrupt a Gen Chat wide conversation about lude sexual acts (sometimes referring to minors), reproductive organ sizes, and/or excited guys getting near nude outfits for their female characters (or the lack thereof). Usually those are happening all at once.

There are occassionaly those that will send me a gracious whisper, answering my questions, and then joking about the a*s hattery of "regulars" in Gen Chat. Those personnel are easily added to the Friend List. As a result, I also find myself being the Whisper guy, answering newcomer or curious player questions (if I know the answer, or a good source to find it).

Other games aren't necessarily any better, but in my experiences, SWTOR community takes the cake. Doesn't take a lifetime of service to a game feel something is wrong. To those that say "If you don't like it, leave, but don't complain". That is the wrong answer overall. We like to SAY that we are in a free world (regardless of nationality), yet some don't understand that the voice of the people (among other things) are what influence change. That doesn't mean that every complaint will be entertained, or is even valid, but if nobody is speaking up, nothing will ever change. How is it that someone feels they have the authority to come in and tell someone to pound sand, meanwhile they themselves are doing what they don't want someone else to do? Hypocritcal, I know.

If content makers (across genres) didn't care about their customer opinion, they wouldn't make the forums or means to communicate with them. Players can easily say "If you don't like it, leave, nobody will miss you", but I wonder if content makers are happy with their CUSTOMERS dismissing other customers? In my opinion, that's the equivalent of standing inside of a business that you frequent (without endorsement from the owner), telling unhappy customers to "Go F*ck Themselves", and that their business won't be missed. I'm sure owners just love their customers letting money walk out of the door, without finding out why.

Well said, Sir/Ma'am!

I brought a co-worker into SWTOR, as I have only been playing for a little over a month. His most memorable interactions from Day-1 was him asking where to find something in the planet he was on. In which the first three responses were in the realm of "In your mom's A** Hole" and other childish remarks. He never did get a legit answer until he was able to get ahold of me. We actually laugh at those responses, because it reminds us how dumb the population can be.

Or even myself, still feeling as I am constantly learning something new about the game mechanics (seeing as they change every so often). I ask a question in general chat, and am told to Google it, and am ridiculed for not already magically knowing the answer off the top of my head.... My thinking was that I would query the potentially knowledgable live player-base, before having to minimize the game and do external browsing. That way I can ask follow-up questions in the event that a website doesn't have the answer, and takes multiple days to respond to questions. I guess I should have known better than to interrupt a Gen Chat wide conversation about lude sexual acts (sometimes referring to minors), reproductive organ sizes, and/or excited guys getting near nude outfits for their female characters (or the lack thereof). Usually those are happening all at once.

There are occassionaly those that will send me a gracious whisper, answering my questions, and then joking about the a*s hattery of "regulars" in Gen Chat. Those personnel are easily added to the Friend List. As a result, I also find myself being the Whisper guy, answering newcomer or curious player questions (if I know the answer, or a good source to find it).

Other games aren't necessarily any better, but in my experiences, SWTOR community takes the cake. Doesn't take a lifetime of service to a game feel something is wrong. To those that say "If you don't like it, leave, but don't complain". That is the wrong answer overall. We like to SAY that we are in a free world (regardless of nationality), yet some don't understand that the voice of the people (among other things) are what influence change. That doesn't mean that every complaint will be entertained, or is even valid, but if nobody is speaking up, nothing will ever change. How is it that someone feels they have the authority to come in and tell someone to pound sand, meanwhile they themselves are doing what they don't want someone else to do? Hypocritcal, I know.

If content makers (across genres) didn't care about their customer opinion, they wouldn't make the forums or means to communicate with them. Players can easily say "If you don't like it, leave, nobody will miss you", but I wonder if content makers are happy with their CUSTOMERS dismissing other customers? In my opinion, that's the equivalent of standing inside of a business that you frequent (without endorsement from the owner), telling unhappy customers to "Go F*ck Themselves", and that their business won't be missed. I'm sure owners just love their customers letting money walk out of the door, without finding out why.

Ok the answer about mom is really childish but i also hate ppl coming in an mmo and never even try to see on google or youtube any vids or post about it.Someone was asking in general chat how he opens the settings,someone else how he uses skills.And no they werent trolls they where ppl that have never played any games apparently cause what many ppl ask are almost the same on all mmos or rpg games.Yea the community is bad but i have seen worst trust me there are worst.

So you speak for everyone here? What about the ppl that care, what about them?

I dont get this guy:rolleyes:

Yeah, pretty much. I think we've drifted off the major issue here. OP has one of those "I'm angry and by God I'm gonna take my money and go home!" kind of rants we see on a daily basis. A legitimate reaction to that is to remind OP that his $15 does not grant him any special rights and also, he does not have any useful insights into the game. Indeed, it's laughable when someone makes these sweeping generalization about the coming fate of swtor.

This particular OP titles his thread, "The reason why people leave." But when you read his first post, he obviously has no idea why people leave and no evidence one way or another. He's just angry over a fairly trivial matter. His actual gripe does not justify his title, so he's gotten some flack. If he had said, "I'm angry because..." and did not HIMSELF try to speak for the rest of us, it would not have happened. Now we see folks attempting to turn the thread back on people who are not particularly sympathetic with the OP and we have all these accusations of a poor user community.

The finniest thing about all these is that when you look at past posts, you often find these guys who have threatened to leave making the same threat month after month. They never do really leave.

Ok the answer about mom is really childish but i also hate ppl coming in an mmo and never even try to see on google or youtube any vids or post about it.Someone was asking in general chat how he opens the settings,someone else how he uses skills.And no they werent trolls they where ppl that have never played any games apparently cause what many ppl ask are almost the same on all mmos or rpg games.Yea the community is bad but i have seen worst trust me there are worst.

When it comes to a live in-game community, I feel that the players should field the answers to newcomer questions, and then provide them a reference to find more information. Google should be secondary to live knowledge. When it comes to checking references, that's when Google should come into play, to weed through certain bs. Like when people ask what Crew Skill goes best with what else. I will whisper them saying "I am not sure, but the Codex (explaining how to find the codex) will tell you the skills that go best with on another." This along the lines of the saying "Give a man a fish, and he eats for one day. Teach a man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime." (That may be misworded a little). The point is, we can unintentionally create more D-Bags by perpetuating nasty behavior towards new folk. We can also create more useful players by being reasonable with them, and controlling the amount of unnecessary insults.

We the players are what create a better player base to interact with. If we can educate newcomers to the basics, and even advanced stages of our games (regardless of how long they've played), we can help create a community that is fun to be around (not saying that everyone doesn't already enjoy their current crowd). I can count on two hands how many people I have found useful too add to my friend list, where the majority are only memorable in order to forewarn others of their presence.

It is common of MMOs and forums, that regulars begin to treat chat as their personal and exclusive place to talk and do whatever. Shunning newcomers, and anyone who may disagree with their comments. I may disagree with someone's OPINION, but it is just that, an opinion. Everyone is entitled to sharing theirs, but they are too often portrayed as fact. I enjoy disagreements, because when done in an educated manner, both sides can potentially learn something new. If "facts" are thrown in to the mix, I like to ask for references, because people will make up all kinds of bs to make their comments sound plausible.

Just sayin'. We the people can make the community better, but there are few willing to stand up to the more vocal ignorants in chat. I'ma have to try turning of Gen Chat, since I don't really get much usefulness out of it.

The finniest thing about all these is that when you look at past posts, you often find these guys who have threatened to leave making the same threat month after month. They never do really leave.

I actually have canceled my subscription as of about a half hour ago :)

Though I didnt make a thread announcing the fact (I was unaware this was the next step after unsubbing.) I feel the "further comments" box I was provided with was enough to provide a clear explanation as to my leaving.

While I can say that the OP and I have left for different reasons, I can also say that the OP has made quite the blanket statement in doing so.

Edited by LanceCorporalDan

I think people leave because they don't find the environment to their own particular liking. That's fine, it's a natural reaction. It's also a natural reaction for some to voice their displeasure about the environment and describe the cause for the exodus. Some do it politely, as did the OP of this thread, and some do it rudely.

Everybody has their own idea of the environment based on their individual interactions and experiences. Their opinion is only that, an opinion, based on their unique perspective.

As for myself I've had a very positive experience playing this game since a month or so after launch and continue to subscribe. I've mostly played with my brother and a friend or two. I haven't joined a guild because I wouldn't be able to con my brother into it mostly (he's a bit ... picky). I've noticed the odd discussions in general chat but there have also been good informational discussions. If all chat contained was the small tid-bits of "useful" things it would be sterile and dull. At least the weird bacon thread that never leaves gives some kind of filler while grinding.

I've recently started using group finder to run flash-points. So far everyone I've been teamed up with have been helpful and reasonably polite. Even those who started snotty cooled off and started to be helpful once I explained that I've never played most of the FP missions before. Maybe it helped I play a tank most of the time but the end result is an absence of the nightmare being paraded about like it's an albatross around the communities neck.

Bottom line, there are far more decent and helpful people playing this game than not. It's easy to see only the glaring negative when the positive is the majority of the background. Forest for the trees people.

I hope to see you in game.

Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post

Guess what causes the community to take a dive? It's called free-to-play.

This ^

I've noticed that too. Things got really, really bad very, very quickly once F2P hit.

Edited by Dallayna