My taste of the novel Annihilation(SPOILER)

Slowpokeking

if Drew could, he would have written half the Empire protagonists dead by the end of the novel.

Empire is fodder. Accept it.

Well thats just one way to piss off empire players I think many knew the empire was going to lose in some form but if its a curbstomp it will simply upset players.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly love the Revan novel by the same author, very very good and engaging. This novel however was atrocious, total mediocre crap. Very boring for a start - barely anything REALLY happens until the last 2 chapters.

Really hate how the sith were portrayed as mindless beings who just like to blow stuff up - that is not what the empire is about at all, and even if it was he could at least put a few more dimensions or character developments in, but no instead its "there is another planet we can piss off, lets go!" what total crap.

The Revan novel switched back and forth between republic and sith characters with each chapter, giving us plenty of development on both sides, plus they included a lot of characters you actually see in game.

Now ive never read the graphic novels, but Darth Karrid? never heard of her. Didnt even know Malgus had an apprentice (doesnt seem to fit his character IMO) Also dont care about her, completely meaningless character.

Ngani Zho? How is this Sateles master, and Guardian to Theron? Surely Sateles master dies in the Return Cinematic (again i may be missing some lore here? Did she somehow get a second master? or is it the same person?)

Along with a lot of other Darths who i dont remember hearing or seeing before = dont care.

Do we see any of these characters in game? Does this book link in with the game it is based on in any way whatsoever? No it doesnt.

Waste of money, waste of time, try harder next time Drew.

You are aware, or not I guess, that France has won FAR more wars then it has lost.

In fact the united Germany has never won a war.

Of course he doesn't. Who is Napolean Bonaparte again? What? France has beaten Prussia, the most militant European nation to ever exist?

People get that vibe because of two things, most of which they are completely unaware, but the origins thereof:

1). The Vichy Government of France during World War II

2). The fact that France acted as a middle-man mediator in the Cold War, not choosing the United States' side automatically.

Of course he doesn't. Who is Napolean Bonaparte again? What? France has beaten Prussia, the most militant European nation to ever exist?

People get that vibe because of two things, most of which they are completely unaware, but the origins thereof:

1). The Vichy Government of France during World War II

2). The fact that France acted as a middle-man mediator in the Cold War, not choosing the United States' side automatically.

Or, maybe, I was joking because it's a running joke?

You people really need a hug.

Or, maybe, I was joking because it's a running joke?

You people really need a hug.

Buy many people on the internet don't know/think it's a joke.

So we must bring the light of knowledge to them:csw_yoda:

Also the novel appears to be a complete waste of time.

Edited by Ausstig

Jokes are things that are funny, right?

A joke is an objective concept. Funny is a subjective one. Whether a joke is funny or not to you has no bearing on it being a joke or not.

I mean, look at what the English call humour. It's called British humour because only they find it even remotely funny.

A joke is an objective concept. Funny is a subjective one. Whether a joke is funny or not to you has no bearing on it being a joke or not.

I mean, look at what the Australians call humour. It's called Aussie humour because only they find it even remotely funny.

Fixed it for yay, Spetic me mate :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had higher hopes for this novel given the writer, but it just came across as lazy.

After about the first half of the novel the potentially interesting characters on the Empire side in Darth Marr and the minister of logistics vanished.

It would have been nice to see Marr and Davidage after the Imperial defeat so we could get a sense of how desparate the Empire had become.

Instead its pretty much all Republic all the time.

Darth Karrid or whatever her name was, was just just terribly written, she comes across as a phycho instead of a Sith Lord, she has one gerat moment earlier in the Novel, but then is just terrible through the rest.

It was just a unevenly written novel and the character development was poor, the sad thing is that its not the worst Star Wars book out there.

Right now the OR game based nveols are being lead by Deveived which was fairly well written and captured a lot of what we think a Sith is.

Here is my take, I just got done reading it last night.

I liked the start, the whole Saatele Shan having a kid was interesting. Was rather pissed that Darth Gravus got screwed over in general and so early in the book. There was no need for him to die and the Fallen woman just irked me to no end. I felt there was a bit too much Theron all around but i liked Gnost-Dural

Would liked to seen more of the Dark Council and even the Minster of Logistics, especially at the end of the book. . It was all Republic in that book and that took away from it. Overall not a very well written book, seemed like the author just threw stuff together on paper and that was it, lazy writing. Would give 2 stars out of 5 at most. I am now reading the Darth Malgus book and so far its ok.

Exactly I thought the war is going to be more balanced going back and forth between the two sides but bioware seems to just want the republic hammer the empire into dust. I said in another thread if it keeps going like this empire players are going to start to leave since they will start to feel their stories are meaningless.

Nothing in the game shows me that my actions did anything for good or bad (Actually the game pretty much shows me that nothing happens no matter what I do), and that goes for either side. I couldn't care less how many crappy fanboy books are written outside of the game (I love the irony of people complaining about the Cartel Market when they also buy these crappy novels), it is the next update that will make the actions seem good or bad.

Empire players are not going to quit the game over a book for the fanboys that most people won't read and even less will care about.

Nothing in the game shows me that my actions did anything for good or bad (Actually the game pretty much shows me that nothing happens no matter what I do), and that goes for either side. I couldn't care less how many crappy fanboy books are written outside of the game (I love the irony of people complaining about the Cartel Market when they also buy these crappy novels), it is the next update that will make the actions seem good or bad.

Empire players are not going to quit the game over a book for the fanboys that most people won't read and even less will care about.

Well good for you, some of us enjoy the books and were disappointed by this one. For the most part I have enjoyed the SW books and thought them well written, which was not what happened here. If you don't give a toss about the book then don't post here.

• 1 month later...

Kinda necroing this thread, but it's just that I discovered that most of the main characters in the novel were already present in a previous comic book.

The thing is, the relation between the hero and the twilek chick (as you can see I have already forgotten their names) in the novel doesn't reflect at all the same attitude from the comic.

More seriously, come on Drew, you can do better than that!

My chief complaint is the handling of the Empire so far. I mean, this is supposed to be an even bigger war than the Great Galactic War with both powers at their height! The Sith Empire shouldn't be being beaten so badly. Give us Imperial players some decisive victories of our own. Where did all my acts to strengthen the Empire go?

in the op, about the imps losing,

well sorry if this is a spoiler, but the empire is destroyed, so yeah, they lose.

If you want less imperial losses, i suggest 2 things, stop reading old republic books, stop playing swtor.

because that's how it goes down

in the op, about the imps losing,

well sorry if this is a spoiler, but the empire is destroyed, so yeah, they lose.

If you want less imperial losses, i suggest 2 things, stop reading old republic books, stop playing swtor.

because that's how it goes down

We have no proof of that - it's actually quite likely that the Republic and Empire somehow merge. After all: During the clone wars, the Republic symbol is the Imperial symbol from this game.